2021 Badger Football

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tough opening opponent for Bucky. Both teams played tough defense in the first half. Too many mistakes by the Badgers and IMO conservative play calling by Chryst.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conservative, yes. But they should have won. Very disappointed in Mertz today. I don’t think he can read a defense during the play.
They were 1 or 2 tough runs inside to tie the game and he mishandles the snap/exchange for the 2nd time. Lucky the game wasn’t over there

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had the play for the TD but overthrew. For the most part they played well but it’s they missed a lot of opportunities today

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mertz didn't look like a 4 star recruit and someone on Wikipedia is trying to tell us that...wow, what an edit!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210904-151045_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210904-151045_Chrome.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 180

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely didn’t look good today in any aspect to me.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough opening opponent for Bucky. Both teams played tough defense in the first half. Too many mistakes by the Badgers and IMO conservative play calling by Chryst.
I agree. Wish we would have played them about 6 or 7 weeks from now.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Like Michigan did?

Yeah, Maertz did not look good. He doesn't have the arm to force throws, nor throw into double coverage.

Have to say that my first impression was that the Badgers' O-line never established dominance at the line of scrimmage. Could be the Lions were superior...hard to say.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
remember when teams would front-load their schedules with really weak opponents to pad their record?
Yes. I could see one game maybe to give the small school some revenue. We could have used just that one today. The Nittany Lions are always tough.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive always hated the cupcake schedules. Penn State played a good game. You’re here to play football. I don’t care about 55-14 games and a 4-0 record before you play a similar program.

WI made too many mistakes. A couple in coverage but overall defense was very good.

the biggest mistakes were with the QB. They have to have better play there and they’ll go far. I heard lots of people ripping Cryst for boring play calls. Same old thing, but if you don’t have a qb to run other stuff what do you do? Call plays he’ll run worse?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the key here is Mertz lost the game. Anyone that argues with that is not paying attention. He was a turn over machine. Time to search for another alternative at qb. The same old UW team - poor qb and secondary. Every year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
remember when teams would front-load their schedules with really weak opponents to pad their record?
It wasn't just to pad their record, was also viewed as "warm-up" games to sharpen things up before facing a Big10 opponent. For instance this season, no doubt I would have rather played our week 2 opponent, Eastern Michigan, in week one.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
the key here is Mertz lost the game. Anyone that argues with that is not paying attention. He was a turn over machine. Time to search for another alternative at qb. The same old UW team - poor qb and secondary. Every year.
While I agree that Mertz played poorly, the OL and Secondary should shoulder some blame. I think that Chryst could have called a better game too, but that may just be me. Can't keep running the ball up the middle against that PSU defense. Should have ran a few more jet sweeps and option roll outs. Mertz was a sitting duck in that pocket.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so, after two full offensive possessions mertz has not thrown a single pass. i guess the badgers have decided that their best bet is to run the ball.

edit: and as soon as i can type that mertz throws three complete passes for 33 yarrds. lol

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another terrible performance by Mertz, but Chryst needs to take some heat for his terrible play calling on offense. I like PC as a HC, but not as a play caller. Way too conservative with his constantly trying to run between the tackles, when it just isn't there. Going to be a long season for Bucky.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sadly, the badgers kinda suck at football last season and this one. can't believe how overrated they were at the beginning of the season. i really wanted them to be good, but they just aren't.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
sadly, the badgers kinda suck at football last season and this one. can't believe how overrated they were at the beginning of the season. i really wanted them to be good, but they just aren't.
I don't think they are as bad as the final score in this game would indicate. They actually were in good shape starting that 4th Q tied 10-10, but then the sh** hit the fan. Also, remember their first 2 games were against #6 PSU and #12 ND. Tough schedule to start the season and it doesn't get any easier next week with #19 Michigan coming to Madison.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chryst was OC and QB coach with lesser talented QBs, I think he was also qb and OC when russel Wilson was here too. I think he’s ok

I watch Mertz play, not today, but other times and he can’t read a defense. At least it’s my impression. What do you call when your qb is very willing to toss it to the other team and is careless at will it seems.

What plays do we call, jet sweeps all game? Plays have to build on each other and with a qb that turns it over at will you have to establish a run game or none of it matters. Mertz is the problem more than anything by a long shot.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the worst talent level, especially on offense since before Alverez. Recruiting or player development is off. Last year's senior class was the worst in many years with no high draft picks and this year's class looks to be just as bad. I like Chryst but he sure looks like he's slowly running the program from a 20 to 25 ranked team to mediocrity. Mertz needs to be benched but the o line and running backs are the least talented in many years.

Members online

Latest posts