2021 Badger Football

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The problem with the Badgers, I don't think Wisconsin is a very enticing offense to come play in for a QB with NFL aspirations. Chryst runs a very vanilla offense, that is predicated on the run. I am always going to wonder if Mertz was just over-rated coming out of H.S. or the UW program didn't help develop him, probably a bit of both. Also, if I was a guy like Ewers, looking for a team, I would look at the Badgers WR and TE's for 2022 and beyond and keep looking.

Russell Wilson's NFL success aside, the Badgers aren't really known for developing NFL ready QB's. I also think Russell had those abilities before he became a Badger.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with the Badgers, I don't think Wisconsin is a very enticing offense to come play in for a QB with NFL aspirations. Chryst runs a very vanilla offense, that is predicated on the run. I am always going to wonder if Mertz was just over-rated coming out of H.S. or the UW program didn't help develop him, probably a bit of both. Also, if I was a guy like Ewers, looking for a team, I would look at the Badgers WR and TE's for 2022 and beyond and keep looking.

Russell Wilson's NFL success aside, the Badgers aren't really known for developing NFL ready QB's. I also think Russell had those abilities before he became a Badger.
Ewers would be a draw for the Texas WRs from Austin north. There's a lot of them that end up at top schools, and the pros. They travel in the same circles off the field.

I do think we're going to see a change at UW. Someone is going to come in who can handle development. Maybe a replacement for Rudolph?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I do think we're going to see a change at UW. Someone is going to come in who can handle development. Maybe a replacement for Rudolph?
I'm thinking Darrel Bevel is running out of NFL options. He might look at a return to Wisconsin as a safe harbor while he rehabs his reputation and grows his game.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Play calling under Chryst prior to 2020, wasn't all that bad, but he passed the duties over to Rudolph so that he could focus more on head coaching duties. Probably a smart move, except that Rudolph did a pretty poor job with play calling. Not sure why Chryst decided to call the experiment failed and take back the play calling duties. He should have found a new OC at that point. Which is what I really think the Badgers need to do in this offseason. Find an OC that can inject some life into a very boring and stale offense and let Chryst focus on being the HC.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm thinking Darrel Bevel is running out of NFL options. He might look at a return to Wisconsin as a safe harbor while he rehabs his reputation and grows his game.
I like that option, but wonder if Bevel would be ok with just the OC job at Wisconsin. That would give the Badgers quite a 1-2 punch in the way of coordinators (if Leonhard stays).

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a potential shake up of coaches but Chryst is not going anywhere even if the Badgers get destroyed in a bowl game. As long as attendance doesn't drop, he will be given every opportunity to rebound from poor seasons. Its tough to imagine the Badgers being anything more than a 20th ranked program if they can't do a better job of attracting better WR's, QB's and defensive linemen. Since JJ Watt, the defensive line has been mediocre relying on blitzing LB's to create a pass rush. It's been a very long tome since the Badgers had a WR go high in the NFL draft. I think most people in Madisin are satisfied with a team that fills the stands, wins 8 to 10 games per year by beating a cupcade heavy schedule, and finishes between a 15th and 25th ranked team.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Bevel idea. He's a solid QB coach, could be OC, and with Leonhard and Bevel on the recruiting circuit, you've got some experienced people who know the game, and can tell these kids what they really have to offer, and how they fit in the program.

Since I see changes coming on the sideline, it can effect the game, and a kid like Ewers would give Mertz a run for his money.

Just shooting from the hip here.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a potential shake up of coaches but Chryst is not going anywhere even if the Badgers get destroyed in a bowl game. As long as attendance doesn't drop, he will be given every opportunity to rebound from poor seasons. Its tough to imagine the Badgers being anything more than a 20th ranked program if they can't do a better job of attracting better WR's, QB's and defensive linemen. Since JJ Watt, the defensive line has been mediocre relying on blitzing LB's to create a pass rush. It's been a very long tome since the Badgers had a WR go high in the NFL draft. I think most people in Madisin are satisfied with a team that fills the stands, wins 8 to 10 games per year by beating a cupcade heavy schedule, and finishes between a 15th and 25th ranked team.
Let's hope that complacency doesn't rule in Madison. If it does, they could end up with as many empty seats as they have at Northwestern, when they have a bad season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope the Badgers aren't complacent. I think they have a nice formula for winning 8 to 10 games per year by running the ball with the plethora of great linemen that play HS football in the state. To his credit, Barry Alverez recognized how that smashmouth run game could elevate the program and be sustainable. Its going beyond that to fielding well balanced teams that has eluded the Badgers. They need to recruit better skill position players outside of Wisconsin which is difficult if you have a reputation for being a factory for NFL RB's and O linemen. If you are a great HS WR, why would you pick the Badgers knowing they love to run the ball and have mediocre QB's?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope the Badgers aren't complacent. I think they have a nice formula for winning 8 to 10 games per year by running the ball with the plethora of great linemen that play HS football in the state. To his credit, Barry Alverez recognized how that smashmouth run game could elevate the program and be sustainable. Its going beyond that to fielding well balanced teams that has eluded the Badgers. They need to recruit better skill position players outside of Wisconsin which is difficult if you have a reputation for being a factory for NFL RB's and O linemen. If you are a great HS WR, why would you pick the Badgers knowing they love to run the ball and have mediocre QB's?
You're suggesting they're complacent. If you don't go out and do everything you can to get top level receivers and QBs you're obviously content being a loser.

Saeed Khalif pretty much spelled out what's wrong with Wisconsin recruiting, and it's complacency. Accepting that you can't break through the culture barrier in the South for openers, and failing to fund an aggressive recruiting program.

Eventually, as revenues drop more in comparison to overhead, they'll shave more and more off areas like recruiting, and salaries for coaches. That will lessen the pool of candidates in both areas, and decrease the team's ability to compete even more.

Khalif Interview info

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quinn Ewers is leaving Ohio State. He's a pro-style QB who can also run if needed, and is a solid passer while on the move. He just might fit in to what the Badgers really want to do. Have a dual threat QB, not unlike Russ Wilson was. Ewers losing out to Stroud at OSU is obviously the reason he's leaving. But, that doesn't mean he isn't at least nearly as good.

I watched him play a lot down here in Texas. He went to South Lake Carroll which is a real football school. High school games on TV down here are common, not a rarety. They create pro style QBs, and complete against the likes of Westlake, Lake Travis, and a couple of others. Just plain top level HS football.

I have a hunch he will end up coming back to Texas, but if there's a shot, the Badgers should take it. The kid is already an NIL millionaire because he has the charisma, and ability to be something special. Time for Chryst to turn on the Badger ball push!

Just my opinion. I'm an "ex" Mertz supporter. He chokes.
Longhorns had a disappointing season. Ya think he might try there?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longhorns had a disappointing season. Ya think he might try there?
It's going to be interesting seeing where he lands to be honest. Texas is a possibility, but they have a lot of young QBs on their roster. Probably Texas Tech or A&M will be his new team. But, it would be interesting if Wisconsin talked to him and he decided to play there.

I saw him play last year in the Texas 6-A championship series against my favorite team, Westlake. Westlake won 52-35, but Ewers was impressive. But, Westlake has been something special over the last few years. They won state last year, and again this year. In fact they won state today. Close game! 70-7! They were ahead something like 54-0 at halftime, and played all underclassmen the rest of the game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting seeing where he lands to be honest. Texas is a possibility, but they have a lot of young QBs on their roster. Probably Texas Tech or A&M will be his new team. But, it would be interesting if Wisconsin talked to him and he decided to play there.

I saw him play last year in the Texas 6-A championship series against my favorite team, Westlake. Westlake won 52-35, but Ewers was impressive. But, Westlake has been something special over the last few years. They won state last year, and again this year. In fact they won state today. Close game! 70-7! They were ahead something like 54-0 at halftime, and played all underclassmen the rest of the game.
Think the Badgers will look elsewhere? Or stay with Mertz?

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think the Badgers will look elsewhere? Or stay with Mertz?
Truthfully, I think they'll stick with Mertz. But, at the same time, I think there's a slight chance that Mertz will look at the portal, if he feels his position is not as secure as he'd like, or if he thinks he can get better coaching elsewhere. Just supposition on my part based on what I'm seeing.

Members online

Latest posts