1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Watchlist

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by Favre>Rodgers259, May 3, 2019.

1. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    OL - I agree, re-sign Bulaga and Gute can take a lineman at his convenience, which is why my mocks consistently find guys Day 3. Outside of Biadasz, I can't see any reason to take an OL earlier than Day 3. We really need a G to replace Turner with Veldheer backing up Bulaga. Andrus Peat or Germain Ifedi would be more than decent FA pickups for a bargain too.

DL - This is a must have either in FA or the Draft. Gute will have to get tricky to find the right guy. Watch the 49ers....they can't keep everybody.

OLB - Some teams are eyeing Fackrell's 2018 year as a possibility he could be a starter. Let him walk and let Gary who's more versatile pick up steam. We can find an OLB to replace him Day 3.

S - Pettine loves safeties. I honestly would prefer a S over a CB in this class. We just need a S who can cover in man, and this class is littered with them. Keeping in mind that said player is probably only covering the #4-#6 WR on the opposing team's depth chart, I'm comfortable with that matchup while at the same time bolstering the run and blitz options for the front seven.

RB - Ervin solves the RB problem. Let D. Williams try to make the team but if not, we're set. I don't see J. Williams walking but if that's the case, we can address that Day 2 of the 2021 Draft.

TE - I'm continually saying that FA is the answer to solving this problem. Eric Ebron and Tyler Eifert would give us a decent starter at the position while still giving time for Jace and Tonyan to develop more. Watch out for Carolina cutting Greg Olsen!!!! I'm not super big at carrying 4 TEs but it seems like something I'll have to get used to in this offense.

QB - Pass. I've only seen one QB Day 3, and if we miss on him I'll live. I'm pretty sure we have Rodgers for at least 3 more years so let Boyle develop all preseason without having to worry about competition and giving away reps.

WR - I NEED Justin Jefferson in the 1st Round if he's available. I'd also like a Tyler Johnson Day 3 too.

ILB - A combination of any two from Phillips, Rice, Brooks, Dye, and Divinity would be nice. No Murray if we go WR 1st Round.

CB - This class is just too shaky to me past Day 2. See S above. Maybe some risers will come up after the combine or All-Star games, but for now, just pass. I trust Sullivan in the slot and I'm not trying to reach to get a guy who's going to be #4 or #5 on the depth chart.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    While I agree that Blake turned out to be decent value for a 4th round pick, but........is this who you want to replace Blake with, another Blake? Oren Burks was a 3rd rounder and so far, he looks like nothing but a guy you throw on special teams, I hope I am wrong.

Let's face it, anyone in the draft is a crap shoot. Typically, the odds of a bust increases as you move later into the draft. So IMO, saying "We can fill some of our bigger immediate needs (WR, ILB, TE) later in the draft, because we or other teams have is just wishful thinking. I would even argue that you probably aren't going to fill an immediate need in the first round with the #30 or later pick.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    To be 100% honest, if we can get a rookie, on a rookie contract to at minimum be as good as Blake, I'll take it till their contract is up. Immense return for little money.

I am praying we upgrade however ability wise, even if slightly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm hoping for an upgrade at both ILB positions, as well as one more on the DL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GleefulGary

GleefulGary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Blake is great value for the 4th. C'mon. I'm not a fan of his, but even I know that.

The reason I think we can find a solid WR in round 3 or so, is because this is a great WR class, and prior history. Check where most of the top WR's are drafted. Only a few in the first round.

6. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:

I find it odd that people are saying he was a great value in the 4th round, yet most people do not want to see him resigned. Yes, for a 4th round pick we got a lot out of Blake, but IMO, not a Pro bowl caliber guy, which is definitely lacking in the middle of the defense.

So if people are talking about how weak the ILB position is and expect to improve it by drafting guys in the 4th round and later, I just don't understand the logic and all I have to do is look at Oren Burks to strengthen my conviction that this position (times 2) needs more attention than just mid round picks and UDFA's.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    the reason for me is, he's going to cost a lot more than a 4th rounder at this point. Unless he doesn't, then i'm fine bringing him back for a couple million. 6,7,8? Not a chance. I'd have to seriously consider 5. Under, sure. his play recently has moved him up a bit for me, the first half of the year i was ready to just move one period.

I think they could find a Linebacker like blake in the 3rd, I think Burks was a different kind of pick. To get these actual linebackers that can play the run and play the pass and not have to come off the field you either need to get them likely in the top 10 or 15 picks. After that it becomes picking a guy that you think has the athletic ability and hope you can mold that physical stature and ability into a real linebacker. Burks was that kind of pick. So far he's not shown the ability to do that.

I think a guy of Blakes skill set is found often in rounds 3-5. he's a nice player, but he's not a must have or can't replace type player so I don't think we should be putting a lot of cash there.

8. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    Well said and my point being, if that is all you want and expect out of the ILB Mike, you don't resign Blake, but find him in a cheap FA or in the mid rounds. I just think we want more out of the position than what we have seen from Blake. Which is why I think its high priority to find 2 guys with better skill sets at both Mike and Will. I know, easier said than done. This all started with a poster saying he thought we needed to use a high pick on a CB, F that noise, we have higher needs than DB's at this point.

I also have to say I read articles like the one below and I get more confused on Blake and his value to the Packers. So if the Gute and the Packers view him in that same light, it wouldn't shock me to see him back in Green Bay.

https://totalpackers.com/2019/12/green-bay-blake-martinez/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. GleefulGary

GleefulGary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    He was a great value for the 4th round. Solid starter. You don't usually get that in the 4th round.

I don't want to re-sign him at the money I think he commands. That's the key part you're missing. It's all about value. He's replaceable, but to get a cheap, solid, starter in the 4th round is really good value.

Now, I'd advocate FA $$$ towards replacing him with a guy that fits a little better, plus drafting somebody. In my ideal world, we draft Patrick Queen and sign a decent thumper. Burks is a scrub, and we missed. Does that mean that spending a 3rd rounder on a LB can't fix the problem? Of course not. Fred Warner recently went in the 3rd, and he's a stud. Quality players can be found in any round, but it's difficult, obviously.

10. GleefulGary

GleefulGary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn is entering the draft. Really athletic. Also good. Pretty nice CB class.

Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan is also entering the draft. He's a better interior option than Biadasz. Player to watch with the possibility of moving on from Linsley.

11. Favre>Rodgers259

Packer Fan Since:
    Thaddeus Moss - TE, LSU
    [​IMG]

He really went off down the stretch, especially in the NC. He's a #1 TE if you ask me, maybe he's available Round 2?

12. Raleigh NC Packers Fan

Raleigh NC Packers Fan Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Would be good to get a good receiver in the off-season to better balance out the offense and add some additional playmakers.

13. PackFan2

PackFan2 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I was one of the few critics that didn't have high hopes for Oren Burks coming out of college. For now, I'm right. Won't be surprised if Burks gets outplayed by drafted ILBs or we pick up a ILB (ex: Littleton) in FA. As I stated in other thread or maybe earlier in this one, watch out for LSUs ILB Patrick Queen. He was dominate in the National Bowl vs Clemson. His draft stock has gone up and after the workouts, he will be #1 or #2 2020 ILB draft class (only CON is starting for a season).

- We need more weapons on offense after Davante and Aaron Jones. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly look at RB yet, but moving forward we need someone behind Aaron jones other than Jamal Williams (who played well).

Did anyone watch the East vs West Shrine Bowl 2020? I know we usually draft these players later in the rounds or via UDFA. Heard TEs and DBs are relatively weak this year.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Not gonna lie this mock seems quite realistic while also making me hopeful as well! https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-Bay-Packers-NFL-Draft-142487212/#142487212_1

To grab Jefferson at 30, a player like Hopkins at 62 and follow that up with Elliot and Brooks would be awesome. I'd love grabbing one of the top flight ILBs but don't see it happening at all at 30...Murray is slowly climbing higher and higher unfortunately.

15. PackFan2

PackFan2 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Same goes for LSU Patrick Queen (who I stated EARLY in the thread) will rise in the draft. Daniel Jeremiah and others have Queen going to Raiders in the first round, I actually like Queen over Murray. I wouldnt be mad if we got him late first but I know Queen will test VERY well. If Queen runs a 4.3 or 4.4 hes gone before 20th pick. The only knock on Queen is that he only played one full season (behind Devin White last season), Queen can sometimes take plays off (or just gives up on a play if it didn't go right).

Again, I will vouch for the other LSU LB Jacob Phillips. Others have him 2nd round and many have him 3 round. This might be due to recency bias comparing him to Devin White. He's no Devin White, but just comparative to other LBs coming out of this draft he deserves to be at least top 4 ILB IMO. Like Queen, if Phillips performs well in the workouts don't be suprised to see him rise in the draft. These LSU linebackers are ex-HS RB athletes turned college LBs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  16. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

100% agree with Phillips....the crappy part is I could very well see him push himself too high to where we'd have to spend a 1st on him to get without moving up in the 2nd.

Now granted if WR draft is falling well and Gute senses we could still add that in 2nd...I'm not saying I'd be against Phillip's in the first but I know many would knock it. But if Queen and Murray are gone....

17. PackFan2

PackFan2 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Spending a first on Phillips is a little rich for my blood.. But if we trade down and nab him in the early second that would be great (along with a WR). As an ex HS LB/RB and having coached the position, I'd like to think I have a keen eye for RBs and LBs prospects. I just enjoy watching players (hidden gems) that aren't too mainstream and then watch them blow up and cheer for them once they go pro.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    What's your thoughts on Jordyn Brooks on Day 3?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GleefulGary

GleefulGary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Queen is LB1. I think you were the first one I saw mention him as a good player. You really called that one, he's a stud.

Check out Francis Bernard. He's a bit older, but he's got some Eric Kendricks to him.

20. Favre>Rodgers259

Packer Fan Since:
    4th Round if we could. It's sketchy if he lasts til the 5th.

21. PackFan2

PackFan2 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    We was recruited as a RB and ran the ball for BYU. I just looked at his 2019 tape. He looks good with some speed to get to the edge. It's going to be hard because he missed the 2017-2018 season but just from a moral/human standpoint I think that was a good personal break for him (from the DUI + dismissal from BYU) and having a kid definitely changed him. I can see that his physical body 2019 (trimmed/lean) looks way different from his 2016 freshman year (he looked fat tbh). You can see flashes of instinct where he gets to the spot before the OL and I love that as a linebacker. I can see where you got the Kendricks comparison. I look forward to seeing him improve in the senior bowl. I love that he also calls the play for Utah and has everyone lined up. I don't think he is going to wow anyone in the combine/workout but I think he has a lot to prove in interviews. So far.. I like Bernard better than Brooks? (may change after I look more at Brooks tape).

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'll be honest....the more I research the more I'd not be against Gute moving up to grab Queen or Murray if they feel he is instant starter upgrade over Blake. I personally feel both would be. Even Phillips I feel has that ability to lesser degree than these two.

I personally think trading up to the Dolphins #26 or the Jaguars #20 could viably be serious options when you begin to compare the needs of both them and us and the equity it would take to move just 4 or 10 spots could be conducive and measured to be worth it.

I wouldn't even be against pre-draft talks with Dolphins to know under certain situations what they'd desire in return to the trade. I just don't see Murray or Queen if available making through Seahawks, Ravens & Titans.

23. GleefulGary

GleefulGary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Early want list for #30:

Patrick Queen
    Laviska Shenault
    Javon Kinlaw (highly unlikely, but crazier things have happened)
    Justin Jefferson (tier below those 3)

Queen is legitimately perfect for Mike Pettine. Perfect.

Shenault would thrive in LaFleur's system. With McCarthy, he would not have. System and fit matters.

Kinlaw is a wrecking ball that our DL needs. Lowry is fine for a 3rd guy, but playing him and Lancaster at the same time led to some major issues. We have to stop the run better, and it's going to start with the DL.

24. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    IF Kinlaw and ANY other defender not named Chase Young would fall to our pick I would struggle mightedly NOT picking Kinlaw over them. That is how much I believe in him.

25. PackFan2

PackFan2 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Akeem Davis-Gaither reminds me of Matt Milano of the Bills. Similar build and play style. Fast and instinctive. Won't see him take on blocks but will cover and fly sideline to slideline. 4th round earliest. 5-7 round seems more suitable. But I really like him as I liked Milano coming out of college.