2020 Packers 2nd round pick: AJ Dillon, RB

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we got a TE....seems a little small but hopefully he has something.... couldn’t be worse than Graham was

PackerFan21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first 3 rounds in an NFL draft is designed for teams to improve and fill needs...hence why the 1st overall pick goes to the team with the worst record. We...the Packers have spent our first 3 rounds on backups and special teams players. We’ve drafted a backup Qb, backup Rb, and a backup TE. I’m done trying to figure out what we”re trying to do. If you trade up in the 1st round it should have been for a top flight Wr i.e. Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Riggs or Aiuke. If you like Jordan love so much trade up for him in the 2nd round and draft Higgins from Clemson. Just flat out frustrated!1

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's ********.

It becomes clear over time that any GM is doing a good or bad job as the players they pick PLAY THE GAME OF FOOTBALL and are either good or bad at it.

Maybe Gutekunst is blowing this right now. Or maybe he found the next franchise QB and a great weapon for the offense. I will not claim to know.

But what you said here ^^ is, again, total ********.

It's still early in his tenure but Gutes drafting has been called to attention already by some in the press. Apart from Alexander Savage and Jenkins we havent seen much from his first two years. Granted his defensive additions last year were outstanding, but a team can't be built in FA alone.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feels like Gute is trying way too hard to look like the smartest guy in the "room" and instead just looks a dufus as opposed to just going with the K.I.S.S. approach.

He's compensating for his failure with Gary.

Or Mark Murphy is the true GM calling the shots.

H

HardRightEdge

Ya know what. A bunch of people (especially Wimm) were saying that Jones could not catch. I can see it...this guy can catch the ball. Not saying that is his forte but he can catch it. I'll bet they just did not throw it to him much.
It took Jones 3 years to become a good receiving back.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's still early in his tenure but Gutes drafting has been called to attention already by some in the press. Apart from Alexander Savage and Jenkins we havent seen much from his first two years. Granted his defensive additions last year were outstanding, but a team can't be built in FA alone.

That's right. And I think that after this season, the 2018 class will be fair game, and if the trajectories of many of those players don't change dramatically this season, it won't be a favorable assessment. Jaire may well be the only hit in the entire class.

And if that is the patter beyond 2018, then Gutekunst is probably going to need to be fired.

But you assess draft picks after they play football. Not before.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true but so far we have an 11th pick playing backup OLB and now we hve a first rounder at qb who might not play for years and even then the odds will be overwhelmingly against him succeeding. I worry that it might be decades before we see the level of qb play the Rodgers provides right now and that we're squandering our window in part because we are failing make adequate use of our draft capital.

Edit, never using my phone for this again

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is true but so far we have an 11th pick playing backup OLB and now we hve a first rounder at qb who might not play for years and even then the odds will be overwhelmingly against him succeeding. I worry that it might be decades before we see the level of qb play the Rodgers provides right now and that we're squandering our window in part because we are failing make adequate use of our draft capital.

Edit, never using my phone for this again

My only point is that it makes a lot more sense to wait until players actually fail to declare them failures.

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily hate any of the picks. I’m not convinced Love wouldn’t be there at #30 and we wasted a 4th rounder is about all. We saw several mocks pick Love at #30. We now wait like 70 picks until our selection day 3.

The team has improved some. My personal bigger concern is nearly every other team has improved more in the short term. By the time pick #30 in round 5 comes, the strawberry field has been picked over pretty good. We now have 6 selections remaining that are likely all additionally backups, long term projects or or ST prospects.

It could be argued that not 1 player out of 10 draft selections will play more than 50% of a positions snaps in their Rookie season. If that’s the case then the one way to recoup this draft is to get Love up to speed quickly and trade #12 in 2021 for multiple draft selections and liquidate his contract.
Our spending Cap would then increase dramatically next season, plus multiple day 1 or day 2 draft selections. This may be a virtual “contract year” for Aaron if his performance slips again or he succumbs to injury. I’m not wanting that to happen, but it’s apparent everyone’s expendable and no one is immune.

Of course none of that matters if we have another draft like this one

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People bashing the criticism need to put their pom poms away. I get that you don't want to say our franchise is ruined with these picks but to act like we can't criticize these picks a little (Nalger and Behnke) is clownish.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that they're really trying to emphasize this offense into a ground and pound offense, rather than a pass happy offense. From the looks of it anyways.
We need offensive lineman so we are able to run the ball we don't even have a true starting OL so we can draft 10 running backs it still won't make a difference if our offensive line is in shambles. I would've been fine if we drafted an OL. We have literally not addressed any of our needs in this draft!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost seems like Gute and MLF think there won't be a 2020 season.

Dillon is our Henry. He is almost identical physically but Dillon is a bit more explosive. Henry better laterally.

Clearly MLF is reshaping the offense from what it has been. Maybe we are going to pound them. Football is constantly going through cycles. Maybe the finess thing has run its course. All these fast MLBs like Roquon Smith out there. Send a 246 lb battering ram into him a dozen times and see if gets up off the turf as quickly.

I don't know.

Sure expected to see a wr by now.

Here's the problem I'm having with the "reshaping the team to pound the rock" argument...... J Jones was there for the taking if that was the idea

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People bashing the criticism need to put their pom poms away. I get that you don't want to say our franchise is ruined with these picks but to act like we can't criticize these picks a little (Nalger and Behnke) is clownish.

No one is saying that you cant criticize the picks or anything. But 80% of the fans act like little children that didnt get any candy from their parents. They act completely irrational and insult the players picked, the front office and everyone not being as irrational as themselves about the picks .

The point is that fans are angry because Packers are clearly going a new way and that basically means that Rodgers wont be here much longer. People only like the players they wanted to be picked by Gb and that are mostly the flashy skill players. Packers have a different big board and plan for the franchise so while we dont neccessarily agree on the picks( I dont and I dont act like a child about it), it is stupid to trash everyone involved. Draft classes should be judged after 3 years, not after 1 season or 2 days after being picked. The people that do that are the only clowns, not the people acting patient and rational.

Now to the pick. I like what Dillon brings to the table and with the sight on the 2021 free agency, it makes a lot of sense to pick him. The NFL obviously was much higher on the RB class as the media experts and fans were, so it makes sense to pick him this early. I am not a big fan of drafting a RB this early but ,like the Love pick, I can see why they did it.

The Packers have draft picks in positions of need from the last few drafts that they bet on panning out. Namingly Keke, Jackson, Burks, Gary, EQ and MVS. Bold strategy and we will see how it works.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bold strategy and we will see how it works

It's not bold, it's suicidal.... considering the players in question. None are expected to be game changers.

A playoff team missing few pieces shouldn't be a candidate for rebuild from scratch.

The draft almost feels like a tank season coming on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for a big man, I think he looks very natural catching the ball. talking about Dillion our 2nd round pick.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup
The Derrick Henry’s of the world come around every few decades .... this guy is not it but even if he was it’s not a need
Every few years, maybe. This is that year. This guy hits the home run, abuses run support CBs. I thought he'd go later, but who the hell hasn't said that about a GB pick. He's a stud

I watched the Derrick Henry movement in 2018, with a backup RT and recently displaced guards, mind you. LaFluer wanted to do nothing other than run during that time. Partially because Mariota and Blaine Gabbert suck. But these are the type of players that defenses hate

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every few years, maybe. This is that year. This guy hits the home run, abuses run support CBs. I thought he'd go later, but who the hell hasn't said that about a GB pick. He's a stud

I watched the Derrick Henry movement in 2018, with a backup RT and recently displaced guards, mind you. LaFluer wanted to do nothing other than run during that time. Partially because Mariota and Blaine Gabbert suck. But these are the type of players that defenses hate
So the strategy is to have a $35M QB with 3 years left stand and hand the ball off to RB’s behind a pass blocking and light O Line with no RT and no TE other than a scrub who weighs 245 soaking wet....WOW
Are you disguised as Gute??

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the strategy is to have a $35M QB with 3 years left stand and hand the ball off to RB’s behind a pass blocking and light O Line with no RT and no TE other than a scrub who weighs 245 soaking wet....WOW
Are you disguised as Gute??
Apparently so. I absolutely agree that GB management is horrific, as it has always been. I'm not going to hold it against this guy. Though they will probably do something stupid with him

Members online

Latest posts