2020 Draft/UDFA Class Through Out 2020 Season

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The season is VERY young, but I'm very pleased with the amount of play and the type of performance our draft class (and UDFAs) have had...for such a limited year practice wise and such it honestly shocks me a ton:

Jordan Love: Obviously hopefully his statline stays at zero...
AJ Dillon: Very Limited snaps (tough behind a STUD and a SOLID NLF RB).

Josiah Deguara: This kid can play and is a versatile TE unlike any other one we have. Was bummed he was a banged up scratch for the NO week, but I expect we see him as we did early on more and more.

Kamaal Martin: If he hadn't gotten injured he was to many the CLEAR favorite to play second most snaps at ILB other than Kirksey....many of us cannot wait to see what happens when he gets back.

Jon Runyan: Has been called into action already and for a 6th rounder did well. Folks it isn't a matter of IF Runyan is asked to do more for us, it is merely when (I predict next year).

Jake Hanson: Just no need for him YET, next year is his year to make a push once Linsley leaves and Patrick may prove viable/better at Guard for us.

Simon Stepaniak: We will have to wait till next year to see if there is anything here..

Vernon Scott: only 8 snaps but has 4 solo tackles (one being a sack)

Jonathan Garvin: Has played 14% of the snaps and while only has 1 tackle to show for it, anyone watching tape sees why he is slowly earning his snaps.

Krys Barnes: As an UDFA, dude has simply been a beast. Has only played on 27.3% of the snaps, yet has 19 tackles (10 solo).....for reference Kirksey is only guy with more tackles at 27 but has played 74.4% of the snaps for us.

While it is VERY early...folks this was a rather solid draft class...and the crazy thing is Kamaal we have to wait, Dillon will slowly progress and of course Love is a long term thing....it still isn't what I'd have done, but man if the class is contributing right out the gate.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Very pleased and surprised that they have played as much as they have. Kudos to our scouts for finding these guys. It bodes well for our future.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IM BACK. :)

I said something to the effect of "I like Krys Barnes more than Martin." & I didn't understand the Martin pick because his 2019 tape was horrid but 2018 tape looked great. Martin coming along great until the injury. The combo of Martin and Barnes would be nice in the future. Let's just hope Martin stays healthy. Either way, I think Ty Summers has filled in the role very nicely. Best ability is availability. If Summers or Barnes churns a career like AJ Hawk, that would be a steal for 7th rounder & UDFA.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tipa Galeai looks great as a pass rusher in the limited snaps. FAST and crazy first step. But so are elite tackles in NFL and they have what Galeai doesn't have; strength. Galeai needs a year or two in the Packers strength program, if he gets stronger I can see him edge out Garvin. I feel like every time Garvin and Burks are on the field, teams run to their side and just completely take them out of the play.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josiah Deguara: This kid can play and is a versatile TE unlike any other one we have. Was bummed he was a banged up scratch for the NO week, but I expect we see him as we did early on more and more.
The first game Deguara was in.. He looked great! Outstanding blocker. He really is a missing piece to this offense. Sad he's missing this season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Barnes has made me look like a fortune teller, it was incredibly nice to see Kamal get out there and show why the staff and many of us saw a lot of potential in his pick. With a healthy Kirksey, Barnes and Kamal....my worries of the ILB spot are incredibly lessoned the way they're playing. Mix in a solid depth guy like Ty Summers (easy killers...I said depth guy) and ILB is looking pretty stinking good.

Other Draftees/UDFA noteworthy tidbits:

• Dillon's lack of any real traction against the Texans is surprising, but any logical person cannot judge him based off one game let alone limited snaps. 2021 is his verdict year.
  • Henry Black - UDFA out of Baylor got some snaps against Houston. Played only 6 snaps, but not being noticed for anything bad is a good sign for the Practice Squad guy elevated.
  • Vernon Scott - 7th rounder out of TCU, played on nearly half the special team snaps (47%) and got on the field defensively for 19%. He's athletic and seems to be heading towards being an excellent ST guy, and has a knack for being around the ball.

Want to breakdown how good Krys Barnes has been....check out his snap count vs tackle totals. Dude is a beast. Left with just 27 snaps before injury and walked away still with 5 solo tackles and 3 assists in those snaps. INSANE.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here...

Krys Barnes in 2020 so far has seen 169 snaps. According to PFF he has 43 tackles. That is a tackle on more than 25% of his snaps...or it only takes 3.9 snaps for him to get a tackle.

As a reference:

Blake Martinez
2019 - Saw 1,035 snaps and had 155 tackles. That's approximately a tackle on 15% of his snaps.
2018 - Saw 1,049 snaps and had 144 tackles. That's slightly less at 14% of his snaps.

Barnes is roughly on pace for around 589 snaps (using 42 per game IF he plays in all remaining 10 heavily). If his tackles per snap dropped even to say just 15% on those remaining snaps he'd still end the year with 106 tackles...fellas that is INSANE.

INSANE.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stated early on keep an eye on Scott out of TCU. Ball hawk type guy was what many saw, but his willingness to get dirty and smack people is impressive. He illustrated that multiple times yesterday in the Lions game. There was one play late in the game a pass to the flat and one on one he exploded forward the second he saw ball carrier start a wiggle. Instead of setting back and waiting - he made the ball carrier have to be the reactor and it was too late for him to do anything by the time he realized it.

That hit along the side line breaking the pass up was an awesome play - despite the penalty erasing it. Vernon had a heck of a game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I stated early on keep an eye on Scott out of TCU. Ball hawk type guy was what many saw, but his willingness to get dirty and smack people is impressive. He illustrated that multiple times yesterday in the Lions game. There was one play late in the game a pass to the flat and one on one he exploded forward the second he saw ball carrier start a wiggle. Instead of setting back and waiting - he made the ball carrier have to be the reactor and it was too late for him to do anything by the time he realized it.

That hit along the side line breaking the pass up was an awesome play - despite the penalty erasing it. Vernon had a heck of a game.
We need a couple more guys in the middle of the defense to play with that hunger and thirst for violence. I’ve been watching a lot of old clips of Nitschke, Butkus, Lott, L. Taylor, Mike Curtis, and those types. It becomes infectious through the entire defense. I had forgotten just how good the Packers defense was back in the 60’s.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a couple more guys in the middle of the defense to play with that hunger and thirst for violence. I’ve been watching a lot of old clips of Nitschke, Butkus, Lott, L. Taylor, Mike Curtis, and those types. It becomes infectious through the entire defense. I had forgotten just how good the Packers defense was back in the 60’s.

Honestly I liked our interior more when Barnes was in their majority of the time.

Members online