2020 Dantés Draft Thread

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a OL has to be athletic for his size to be an NFL tackle. How many collegiate tackles end up as guards?

Which is why I said relative to others at his position. Pretty much EVERY professional athlete has elite athleticism compared to the population.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No, you listed ppl. A list isn't irrefutable. I disagree on your list.

I'd love to hear how you disagree with it to the point that you conclude that it's easier to find good tackles after round one than good wide receivers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to hear how you disagree with it to the point that you conclude that it's easier to find good tackles after round one than good wide receivers.

Look at Packers history of drafting good OTs in later rounds vs elite WRs in later rounds. Best recent Packers' WRs have been second round guys while OTs have, outside of Clifton and Bulaga, been pretty late (and the 2nd round receivers, as a group, have been better pros in aggregate). As I said, maybe I'm jaded, but some of the better olines in the NFL don't feature 1st/2nd round OTs while many of the more dominant WRs are higher round picks.

Once you hit a certain level of athleticism at OT, technique has far more impact than athleticism; at WR, once you hit a certain level of skill, athleticism becomes very important.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For fun, what would a stay put mock look like that featured something other than WR at #30?

30. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State: Rare athlete tailor made for the outside zone who played hurt in 2019.

62. Antonio Gibson, WR, Memphis: WR/RB offensive weapon who led the country in YAC/reception (11.7), produced seven touchdowns of 50+ yards, and broke a tackle on 45% of his receptions.

94. K'Von Wallace, CB, Clemson: Slot corner prospect with safety/dime linebacker versatile. Quietly one of the best athletes among the DB's in the draft. 78th, 82nd, and 96th% results in the vert, 3C, and broad respectively to go along with a respectable 4.53 at 5'11" 206.

136. Troy Dye, LB, Oregon

175. Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF: More traditional WR prospect with projectable tools. Potential dropper in a deep class?

192. Danny Pinter, iOL, BALL: Small school tackle who projects to guard or center; good movement skills.

208. Dalton Keene, TE, VTU: H-Back prospect with good athleticism and some lead blocking abililty.

209. Carter Coughlin, ED, MIN: Undersized edge with ability to drop and rush; good athlete for ST.

236. John Penisini, iDL, UTAH: Early down plug.

242. Daniel Thomas, S, AUB: Dime linebacker prospect with good movement skills.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Look at Packers history of drafting good OTs in later rounds vs elite WRs in later rounds. Best recent Packers' WRs have been second round guys while OTs have, outside of Clifton and Bulaga, been pretty late (and the 2nd round receivers, as a group, have been better pros in aggregate). As I said, maybe I'm jaded, but some of the better olines in the NFL don't feature 1st/2nd round OTs while many of the more dominant WRs are higher round picks.

Once you hit a certain level of athleticism at OT, technique has far more impact than athleticism; at WR, once you hit a certain level of skill, athleticism becomes very important.

I literally demonstrated to you that the majority of the good starting tackles in the league come out of the first round. You haven't even responded to it. Rounds 4-6, there is literally one good starter in the entire league and it's Bakhtiari. To take an outlier like that and draw a conclusion is insane.

Fully half of the top receivers in yardage last year came after round one. If you look at the top 10 in receptions, it's 7/10 outside round one. If you look at touchdowns, it's 7/10 outside round one. If you look at 1st downs, it's 5/10.

There is literally no way to slice this where it makes sense to say it's easier to find tackles after round one than wide receivers.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I literally demonstrated to you that the majority of the good starting tackles in the league come out of the first round. You haven't even responded to it. Rounds 4-6, there is literally one good starter in the entire league and it's Bakhtiari. To take an outlier like that and draw a conclusion is insane.

Fully half of the top receivers in yardage last year came after round one. If you look at the top 10 in receptions, it's 7/10 outside round one. If you look at touchdowns, it's 7/10 outside round one. If you look at 1st downs, it's 5/10.

There is literally no way to slice this where it makes sense to say it's easier to find tackles after round one than wide receivers.

Why look at the whole league when we can instead look at just one team?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I just want to apologize to the forum for using the word "literally" three times in one post. There's no excuse for that and I promise to be better.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
These are my final clusters for each of our current picks. They're organized by position, not preference.

My assumption is that the following are all gone before our pick: Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Love, Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy, Thomas, Wills, Becton, Wirfs, Kinlaw, Brown, Young, Chaisson, Simmons, Queen, Murray, Okudah, Henderson.

30:
  • M. Pittman, WR, USC
  • J. Reagor, WR, TCU
  • B. Aiyuk, WR, ASU
  • D. Mims, WR, BAY
  • J. Jones, OT, HOU
  • E. Cleveland, OT, BSU
  • J. Johnson, CB, UTAH
  • A. Terrell, CB, CLEM
  • K. Fulton, CB, LSU
62:
  • A. Gibson, WR, MEM
  • B. Edwards, WR, SC
  • L. Niang, OT, TCU
  • B. Bartch, OT, STJ
  • N. Igbinoghene, CB, AUB
  • C. Dantzler, CB, MSU
  • D. Arnette, CB, OSU
  • T. Burgess, DB, UTAH
  • W. Gay, LB, MSU
  • K. Dugger, S/LB, LR
  • J. Madubuike, iDL, TAMU
94:
  • D. Duvernay, WR, UT
  • V. Jefferson, WR, FLA
  • M. Peart, OT, UCONN
  • A. Taylor, OT, SCS
  • K. Wallace, DB, CLEM
  • T. Pride, CB, ND
  • D. Taylor, LB, COL
  • L. Wilson, LB, WYO
  • J. Lynch, iDL, BAY
136:
  • G. Davis, WR, UCF
  • D. Peoples-Jones, WR, UM
  • J. Driscoll, OT, AUB
  • S. Charles, OT, LSU
  • R. Robinson, CB, TUL
  • T. Dye, LB, OR
  • J. Strnad, LB, WF
  • L. Fotu, iDL, UTAH
  • N. Harris, C, UW
  • D. Asiasi, TE, UCLA
175:
  • J. Reed, WR, UVA
  • J. Hightower, WR, BSU
  • M. Bailey, LB, PUR
  • D. Acy, CB, MIZZ
  • K. Vaughn, RB, VAN
  • B. Jones, iDL, MISS
  • C. McKivitz, OL, WVU
  • T. Anchrum, OL, CLEM
  • J. Metellus, S/LB, UM
  • D. Tuszka, ED, NDSU
6th Rd:
  • K. Lipscomb, WR, VAN
  • F. Swain, WR, FLA
  • J. Runyan, OL, UM
  • D. Pinter, OL, BALL
  • M. Harper, CB, SIU
  • E. Weaver, LB, CAL
  • M. Walker, LB, FRSU
  • J. Penisini, iDL, UTAH
  • A. Brooks, S/LB, MAR
  • D. Dallas, RB, MIA
  • D. Keene, TE, VTU
  • J. Deguara, TE, CIN
  • C. Coughlin, ED, MIN
7th Rd:
  • K. Murphy, OL, RI
  • N. Clarke, CB, UCF
  • S. Bradley, LB, TEM
  • J. Phillips, LB, LSU
  • R. Dowdle, RB, SC
  • D. Thomas, S/LB, AUB
  • C. Toohill, ED, STAN
  • B. Roy, iDL, BAY
  • C. Woerner, TE, UGA

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my last "stand pat" mock draft. I think I'll do a trade down version tomorrow, as that's what I'm hoping will happen.

30. B. Aiyuk, WR, ASU: Enough size/athleticism for Gute, and gives LaFleur the kind of weapon the offense needs.

62. L. Niang, OT, TCU: Injury question on his hip, but if that checks out this is a major value.

94. K. Wallace, DB, CLEM: He's could end up being a very good slot cornerback relatively early.

136. T. Dye, LB, OR: Rangy linebacker with some cover skills.

175. D. Pinter, OL, BALL: Great athlete; tackle > center convert.

192. D. Keene, HB, VTU: H-Back prospect to replace Vitale.

208. J. Reed, WR, UVA: WR/RB/OW with great athleticism and ST value.

209. R. Dowdle, RB, SC: Well-rounded committee back prospect with athleticism.

236. M. Harper, CB, SIU: Athletic project at outside corner.

242. C. Toohill, ED, STAN:
Late blooming rush linebacker.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not opposed to this final one at all, kinda mirrors some of mine a way in types of players and the pairings of the skilled positions work well together. Pinter I like how he projects for sure. Little surprised no run stuffer iDL grabbed but I'm sure late round you elected an edge project over one possibly. It is a rather underwhelming DL class for all around guys, but I do think there are some one dimensional run stuffers we could grab late.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my last stab, with lots of trades.

Trade #30 to LAC for #37, #112, and #151

37. M. Pittman, WR, USC

Trade #62 and #112 for #54

54. J. Brooks, LB, TTU

94. B. Bartch, OT, SJU

Trade #136 and #151 for #113

113. K. Wallace, DB, CLEM

175. K. Vaughn, RB, VAN

192. D. Keene, HB, VTU

208. D. Pinter, iOL, BALL

209. J. Reed, WR, UVA

236. M. Harper, CB, SIU

242. C. Toohill, ED, STAN

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some buzzy names for GB today:

Marlon Davidson, DL, Auburn

Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

Take it for what it's worth

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Davidson could be in reality what people have speculated about Epenesa. He's a big, burly edge who can play the 5T for you if you're in that look, but can also reduce inside and replace Lowry as the 3T.

He would make sense in that the Packers got totally cratered on the edges in the run game against SF in the NFCCG and he would address that. Certainly not my first choice, but I would understand it. He's also a fun guy to listen to.

Brooks, in a similar way, would be a fit to help what ails them in the running game. The way Pettine asked Martinez to play the run means you really need instincts and a quick trigger on the second level, and Brooks has that in spades. He's better than Kenneth Murray in ways, IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Pack do not make a pick today. I think their looking at so many QBs is a trade tactic if a QB lasts to them. I think they want to move back into early 2nd. The level of player grade may be very similar anyway. The extra pick we get would be one of the 3rd tier WRs.

Brooks or Davidson would maybe fit early 2nd.

A friend of mine has us taking Queen. This guy had quite a string of getting these right under TT.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Pack do not make a pick today. I think their looking at so many QBs is a trade tactic if a QB lasts to them. I think they want to move back into early 2nd. The level of player grade may be very similar anyway. The extra pick we get would be one of the 3rd tier WRs.

Brooks or Davidson would maybe fit early 2nd.

A friend of mine has us taking Queen. This guy had quite a string of getting these right under TT.

Queen would be better than Murray but I don't really like him in the first.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Love slides to us someone will trade for that 5th year.....the other two wildcards is if some team LOVES Eason and/or Hurts they also want that 5th year...I personally would never think of that on those two, but parts of their games and styles may just trip someone's trigger.

I strongly desire a trade back scenario and then a trade up into the 4th maybe end of 3rd even. Grab 4 or 5 guys prior to the middle of the 5th.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some buzzy names for GB today:

Marlon Davidson, DL, Auburn

Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

Take it for what it's worth

For round 1? Most of what I have read has these as round 2 guys. But i guess late first and early second are not a big difference

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I definitely expect a double or even triple dip at WR, similar to 2018. Only this time the Packers take one in either the 1st or 2nd round.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sleeper to watch in the middle rounds: Khalil Davis, iDL, Nebraska

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like Strowbridge but I'm a bit higher on Agim because Strowbridge will likely have to put on several pounds and I'm not sure how that might effect his play.

Agreed, for a run stopper he is oddly slender.

Members online

Latest posts