2019 Schedule thread

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I consider either move an acknowledgement that your season is over and its time to start thinking about next year and beyond. ;)

Kinda yes and no there.

I mean on the one hand, yes they had to know losing to the trash Cards after falling behind the 8 ball with two teams in the wildcard hunt (Hawks & Vikes), they were very much in elimination territory short of the craziest of miracles happening. And obviously when the players play that bad and show that they no longer buy into what the HC is doing, a firing is pretty much sure to happen.

On the other hand, as a professional organization you still want your players to get up and try to win and get into the playoffs so long as there is no E in their column. They obviously knew if MM stuck around they weren't going to do that, so Captain's point does have some merit there.

While the chances were pretty small there would have been no reason for Murphy and Gutekunst to fire McCarthy at that point if they believed there was no way to save the season.

Actually yes there would be. If you lose to a team as bad as Arizona, you then could assume it's already time to go into new HC shopping mode. When things go to rock bottom, you gotta start the wheels of change in motion immediately, and I think you do worse hanging McCarthy around when he knows the hammer's going to drop at the end of the season because of that loss. You give him a chance to go onto his next gig, and you put the players on notice that they will be watched closely to see what they bring to the future of the team.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately .... It's the usual Detroit classic.
I'm getting sick and tired of seeing these bums as the last game every freaking year. And even more so that they can get their crap together when they face us but not against the other division rivals.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting sick and tired of seeing these bums as the last game every freaking year. And even more so that they can get their crap together when they face us but not against the other division rivals.

Yeah I share that, hence my post in the wish thread to get back to kicking these guys butts the way we're supposed to.

On the one hand it is infuriating that they've gotten season sweeps against us the last two years in a row, but on the other I guess one reason why other fans haven't ginned up the kind of hatred against them like they have the Bears or Vikes is because up until now they were dominated by us year in and year out. I mean, to this day I do believe the 23 year losing streak for them in Lambeau is actually the longest road losing streak for a divisional opponent in the NFL, while I believe the second longest was the Pats 15 year reign over the Bills in Foxboro and the current Steelers win streak over Cleveland in Heinz also currently at 15 years.

Obviously when you've kept beating an opponent like that at home, the football gods are going to correct it at some point. I think it just is more aggravating because last year's season which had so much high expectations on it ended up being a cluster****. Having said that, while I certainly wouldn't bet the house on this in today's wacky league, I think we take at least one from Detroit this season. After getting us in 3 games where either Rodgers didn't play at all or went out with injury, one where our kicker just had an awful day and the other where we were being coached by an interim HC, I can't see them getting all those favorable cards in their hand like that again. But it does go to show you how crazy today's league is and how easy you could take winning for granted.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After getting us in 3 games where either Rodgers didn't play at all or went out with injury, one where our kicker just had an awful day and the other where we were being coached by an interim HC, I can't see them getting all those favorable cards in their hand like that again.

This, is the key paragraph. The Lions are about the last team on our schedule that I worry about, as long as the Packer are playing good football and #12 is in there and the game means something.

One of my friends is a HUGE Lions fan, he has been yapping about the last 2 years non-stop. So I have to remind him just how good his Lions really are. Kind of like the fan that made this critical error.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I mean in today's league there is no team you can just write off, not even the Raiders. But I think our guys realize how bad it looks to have started dropping games to a team like Detroit and won't allow it this year.

But certainly this league with it's one of those things where a few key plays in the season could drastically alter momentum.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually yes there would be. If you lose to a team as bad as Arizona, you then could assume it's already time to go into new HC shopping mode. When things go to rock bottom, you gotta start the wheels of change in motion immediately, and I think you do worse hanging McCarthy around when he knows the hammer's going to drop at the end of the season because of that loss. You give him a chance to go onto his next gig, and you put the players on notice that they will be watched closely to see what they bring to the future of the team.

The Packers could have begun searching for a new head coach and put the players on notice while hanging on to McCarthy as well.

I don't believe for a second that Murphy fired MM at that point to give him a head start on finding another gig.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers could have begun searching for a new head coach and put the players on notice while hanging on to McCarthy as well.

I don't believe for a second that Murphy fired MM at that point to give him a head start on finding another gig.

In my opinion, the firing of MM was a culmination of frustration, as well as just pushing the time table up of delivering the message of "complacency will not be tolerated". I know you don't agree with me that it was indirectly throwing the towel in on the season, but it clearly was the next step in the process of rebuilding this team for the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know you don't agree with me that it was indirectly throwing the towel in on the season, but it clearly was the next step in the process of rebuilding this team for the future.

If the Packers would have given up on the season at that point that would have benched Rodgers as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers would have given up on the season at that point that would have benched Rodgers as well.
I think you are confusing my wish that the Packers had sat starters and given backups valuable playing time, with what the Packers actually did. I never claimed that the Packers fully gave up on the season. What I did say was that firing their head coach, with 4 games left to play, while not being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, was an indication to me that Murphy and Gute had a bigger eye on the future of the Packers, than worrying about how they were going to finish up what was a 4-7-1 season at that point.

Maybe I am wrong and this was done solely with the hope of kick starting the Packers and somehow get them into the playoffs, but I doubt it. Even in that situation of trying to make the playoffs, I would take MM coaching the team over Philbin any day of the week.

Reaction score
What teams do you see us losing to?

As far a losses go I think we lose @Chi, @DAL, @KC, @LA, vs.CAR, @MIN, @DET. (possibly sub out the Detroit loss for home against Philly). Keep in mind tho we may also drop both against Chicago. Health plays a major factor in that obviously. How about you? What do you foresee?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far a losses go I think we lose @Chi, @DAL, @KC, @LA, vs.CAR, @MIN, @DET. (possibly sub out the Detroit loss for home against Philly). Keep in mind tho we may also drop both against Chicago. Health plays a major factor in that obviously. How about you? What do you foresee?
Chicago I suppose, though imo I see us winning.

Dallas? Hell no. We're winning that game.

Chargers? Hell no, not after there pathetic display against The Patriots. I've lost almost all respect for them.

Carolina, maybe, but we owe Cam one so I see us winning.

Minnesota, I suppose, again I don't think Kirk is going to outshoot Rodgers for a second year.

KC, I can see a possible L here.

Philly is possible, but I like our chances.

Detroit. No. Just no.

Reaction score
Chicago I suppose, though imo I see us winning.

Dallas? Hell no. We're winning that game.

Chargers? Hell no, not after there pathetic display against The Patriots. I've lost almost all respect for them.

Carolina, maybe, but we owe Cam one so I see us winning.

Minnesota, I suppose, again I don't think Kirk is going to outshoot Rodgers for a second year.

KC, I can see a possible L here.

Philly is possible, but I like our chances.

Detroit. No. Just no.

Correct me if Im wrong but sounds like you think we will go 13-3 or something to that regard? You have made some good posts around here but surely you don't think this football team is good enough to be in the 13-3 realm???

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but sounds like you think we will go 13-3 or something to that regard? You have made some good posts around here but surely you don't think this football team is good enough to be in the 13-3 realm???
Considering most of those games last year we were in them for the most part, and wasn't blown out in any of those games, let's just say I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Best case scenario I see that record, worst case I see us 10-6.

Reaction score
Considering most of those games last year we were in them for the most part, and wasn't blown out in any of those games, let's just say I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Best case scenario I see that record, worst case I see us 10-6.

Lets just say I hope I end up being wrong then. I just unfortunately don't share your optimism lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you are confusing my wish that the Packers had sat starters and given backups valuable playing time, with what the Packers actually did. I never claimed that the Packers fully gave up on the season. What I did say was that firing their head coach, with 4 games left to play, while not being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, was an indication to me that Murphy and Gute had a bigger eye on the future of the Packers, than worrying about how they were going to finish up what was a 4-7-1 season at that point.

Maybe I am wrong and this was done solely with the hope of kick starting the Packers and somehow get them into the playoffs, but I doubt it. Even in that situation of trying to make the playoffs, I would take MM coaching the team over Philbin any day of the week.

The Packers firing of McCarthy definitely was made with the future being the main objective. That doesn't mean they gave up on the 2018 season though as otherwise they would have benched Rodgers for the rest of the year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers firing of McCarthy definitely was made with the future being the main objective. That doesn't mean they gave up on the 2018 season though as otherwise they would have benched Rodgers for the rest of the year.
Nor does it mean that they were doing everything they possibly could to try to make it into the 2018 playoffs ;)

Again, I think you are confusing my posts/desire during that time frame with what I am fully aware of what the Packers organization actually did. At the time, I would have been just fine with the Packers sitting starters to give backups more experience and if a better draft position came from it, even better. They didn't, we won 2 games, didn't make the playoffs, lost Aaron Rodgers to another concussion, backups didn't get the extra reps and we are drafting at #12 in every round instead of at #4.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, I think you are confusing my posts/desire during that time frame with what I am fully aware of what the Packers organization actually did. At the time, I would have been just fine with the Packers sitting starters to give backups more experience and if a better draft position came from it, even better. They didn't, we won 2 games, didn't make the playoffs, lost Aaron Rodgers to another concussion, backups didn't get the extra reps and we are drafting at #12 in every round instead of at #5.

I'm still perplexed that a reasonable poster like you would have be fine with the Packers resting starters while there was still a possibility to make the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm still perplexed that a reasonable poster like you would have be fine with the Packers resting starters while there was still a possibility to make the playoffs.

Well at least you called me reasonable. :inlove:

I edited my previous post, we actually would be sitting at #4 in every round of the draft, since one of our wins was against the Jets. The final outcome of those 4 games has a lot to do with why I felt that way:

we won 2 games, didn't make the playoffs, lost Aaron Rodgers to another concussion, backups didn't get the extra reps and we are drafting at #12 in every round instead of at #4.

I value the long term future more than a few meaningless wins. I think our 2019 team would have been a better team had we given backups more reps as well as not won those last 2 games. Given the odds of making the playoffs were about equal to getting hit by lighting while riding a unicorn when MM was fired, coupled with the way the team was playing, I stand by my opinion.

For what it is worth, the Packers continued to play starters, even after we were eliminated from the playoffs.

Final note. I recognize my opinion on this is in the minority and I respect those posters who feel its important to try and win every game, I just don't agree with that philosophy in this situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well at least you called me reasonable. :inlove:

I edited my previous post, we actually would be sitting at #4 in every round of the draft, since one of our wins was against the Jets. The final outcome of those 4 games has a lot to do with why I felt that way:

I value the long term future more than a few meaningless wins. Given the odds of making the playoffs were about equal to getting hit by lighting while riding a unicorn when MM was fired, coupled with the way the team was playing, I stand by my opinion.

For what it is worth, the Packers continued to play starters, even after we were eliminated from the playoffs.

As I've mentioned before I understand fans were advocating for the Packers to bench starters once they were eliminated from the playoffs although I don't agree with that take. It would be a terrible choice to do it while still having a chance to make the postseason, no matter how slim those chances might be.

As a side note, there's no guarantee the fourth pick in the draft ends up being a better player than the 12th by any means. I rather have my team playing to win in every single game than to tank for a better draft position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before I understand fans were advocating for the Packers to bench starters once they were eliminated from the playoffs although I don't agree with that take. It would be a terrible choice to do it while still having a chance to make the postseason, no matter how slim those chances might be.

As a side note, there's no guarantee the fourth pick in the draft ends up being a better player than the 12th by any means. I rather have my team playing to win in every single game than to tank for a better draft position.

Had the Packers finished 4-11-1, they just aren't picking 4th in the first round, but every round. So take your theory of a 4th not becoming any better than a 12th and factor it by 7 rounds. ;) If you don't see the value/advantage of that, I'm not even going to try and change your mind.

D

Deleted member 6794

Your first paragraph is kind of a contradiction within itself. Are you saying you don't advocate sitting starters at any point in the regular season or only if the team is officially eliminated from the playoffs?

Had the Packers finished 4-11-1, they just aren't picking 4th in the first round, but every round. So take your theory of a 4th not becoming any better than a 12th and factor it by 7 rounds. ;) If you don't see the value/advantage of that, I'm not even going to try and change your mind.

Once again, although I don't like the idea of the Packers sitting starters at any point during the season I understand fans having a different view about it. It's definitely perplexing to suggest it would be a smart idea with making the playoffs still being a possibility.

I'm sorry but I don't see a ton of value in being able to select eight spots earlier in each round of the draft, especially when talking about the third day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't see a ton of value in being able to select eight spots earlier in each round of the draft, especially when talking about the third day.

Are you being serious? I mean I slightly agree with you when it comes to day 3, but if you don't see the value of it in the first few rounds....really?

If the Packers wanted to move up to the #4 spot tomorrow, it would probably cost them Picks #12 and #30 or at minimum #12, #44 and #75.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts