2019 Schedule thread

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach Mike had a good quote a while ago."It's not who you play, it's when you play them". The last quarter of the season for the Bears looks to be rough.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach Mike had a good quote a while ago."It's not who you play, it's when you play them". The last quarter of the season for the Bears looks to be rough.
I'm hoping they crumble, but still. It's important for us to win early, that way we can simply grind it out till the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Someone will probably prove me wrong with stats (Captain), but I would think the Packers have more of an advantage playing at home in the cold games (Nov./Dec) than playing those games early at home.

Since Rodgers became the starter the Packers are 32-7-1 (.813) at home in September and October while only 32-15-1 (.677) from November on.

The bye week is In a good spot, not super early.

Actually the bye week is pretty late with week 12 being the last one in which teams have one in the league.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm hoping they crumble, but still. It's important for us to win early, that way we can simply grind it out till the playoffs.
The Bears have a tough closing stretch to their schedule for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Before, but it's prophetic now, ain't it?
That it is, although, I think we all know that it would have taken a pretty deep run into the playoffs (at minimum) to save MM's job.

I still smile a bit thinking about people saying "a team that is not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs would never sit starters", yet the Packers elected to fire their head coach before they were eliminated.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never put too much stock into schedules. Just go out and win.

From the looks of things the best part of the schedule is for you guys to try and figure it out in advance. Me, I waited until this morning and looked it up.

I'm with you as far as putting too much stock in it. There are too many variable from week to week to think anything of significance about the late season road trips or the timing of the bye week. I seem to recall one year we had an early bye week and everyone was complaining then Favre got hurt the week before and would have missed the next week had it not been for the bye.

As far as Mikes quote goes, when you play them is determined in April but whether that when is good or bad is determined much closer to game time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I still smile a bit thinking about people saying "a team that is not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs would never sit starters", yet the Packers elected to fire their head coach before they were eliminated.

There's a difference between firing a head coach the team doesn't want to work with anymore during the season and sitting starters that will be here for years to come.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's a difference between firing a head coach the team doesn't want to work with anymore during the season and sitting starters that will be here for years to come.

I guess I consider either move an acknowledgement that your season is over and its time to start thinking about next year and beyond. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess I consider either move an acknowledgement that your season is over and its time to start thinking about next year and beyond. ;)

We've had this discussion before but in my opinion there's definitely no reason to sit healthy players with the playoffs still a possibility.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or, nobody is safe, get doing your jobs better...
Pretty much. Obviously, in some situations firing a coach, benching players, can be considered an attempt at immediately trying to jump start a team. However, in the case of the Packers and firing MM when they did, I seriously doubt Murphy and Gute did it thinking it was a move that would save the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We've had this discussion before but in my opinion there's definitely no reason to sit healthy players with the playoffs still a possibility.
But it is ok to fire a coach that has had far greater success than the guy you replace him with?

I'm not trying to say that the Packers fired MM with the idea that it could result in improving their draft position, but I also don't think protecting your star players for the future and also giving backups valuable game experience, is that much different.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, in the case of the Packers and firing MM when they did, I seriously doubt Murphy and Gute did it thinking it was a move that would save the season.

While the chances were pretty small there would have been no reason for Murphy and Gutekunst to fire McCarthy at that point if they believed there was no way to save the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

But it is ok to fire a coach that has had far greater success than the guy you replace him with?

I'm not trying to say that the Packers fired MM with the idea that it could result in improving their draft position, but I also don't think protecting your star players for the future and also giving backups valuable game experience, is that much different.

Once again, there's absolutely no reason to sit players if making the playoffs is still possible, no matter if those chances are slim at that point.

I understand fans advocating to rest Rodgers and some others after being eliminated though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While the chances were pretty small there would have been no reason for Murphy and Gutekunst to fire McCarthy at that point if they believed there was no way to save the season.

You seriously think that the firing of MM at that point was an attempt to save the season and get into the playoffs? Did you watch Philbin coach? IMO, MM's firing was already on the table, but probably planned to occur at seasons end. However, it ended up being an emotional reaction and a speeding up of the calendar, due to an ugly loss at home against the worst team in the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much. Obviously, in some situations firing a coach, benching players, can be considered an attempt at immediately trying to jump start a team. However, in the case of the Packers and firing MM when they did, I seriously doubt Murphy and Gute did it thinking it was a move that would save the season.
The best moves have impacts far beyond the immediate season.

D

Deleted member 6794

You seriously think that the firing of MM at that point was an attempt to save the season and get into the playoffs? Did you watch Philbin coach?

I'm absolutely convinced that no one within the Packers organization had given up on the season after the loss to the Cardinals.

Otherwise I hope those guys have been sent packing in the meantime.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That it is, although, I think we all know that it would have taken a pretty deep run into the playoffs (at minimum) to save MM's job.

If we assume Murphy had made the decision to move on from McCarthy after, or even before, the Cardinals game the fact that they were still technically in the playoff hunt may have actually helped him pull the trigger when he did. Let’s say the Packers had put enough together to make the playoffs but laid an egg in the 1st round or even won a game. I don’t think that would have changed his mind and now he would have been faced with the prospect of firing a coach who just pulled off a miracle. Who knows, a playoff win or two and he may have been tempted to keep him and I think he knew it was time to move on.

Members online

Latest posts