• Adrian Amos

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Billy Turner

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 2019 offseason, Gute went out and signed the Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, Adrian Amos, and a little known lineman in Billy Turner. All of these were great signings, in the fact that each of these guys has been a positive addition to the team...no FA busts.

Factor in the money which I'll list below, and I'll ask the question. Who was the best FA signing of 2019?

4yrs - $52M Preston Smith (established starter but no breakout seasons; good health history)
4yrs - $66M Za'Darius Smith (good rookie season but only 4.5 sacks in 2 & 3; sports hernia surgery in 2019 offseason)
4yrs - $37M Adrian Amos (sure starter but not a playmaker)
4yrs - $28M Billy Turner (journeyman lineman; played on 3 teams in 5 seasons)

The Smiths allowed Green Bay to move on from aging Clay Matthews and oft-injured Nick Perry. Amos allowed Green Bay to move on from HaHa Clinton-Dix. Billy Turner allowed the Packers to move from Byron Bell at guard.

Za'Darius certainly earned his money last season. Both Smiths continue to play well this season. Amos has been the rock that we needed and has been improving in the second half of this season. I think that Billy Turner has been right up there with Jenkins as the MVP of the o-line, moving to whatever position is needed.

My vote is for Turner being the best signing. He cost the least, has been extremely versatile, and really didn't have a track record that made this a home-run FA signing. It was the best free agent signing in 2019 IMO.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Turner -- best bang for the buck. Preston may have been a one year wonder here. Just steady vet status now, one step up from journeyman. Amos and Z' were as advertised. Amos' arrow is still heading up and Z's is a steady probowl quality starter. Worth it for all four.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Z has been better than advertised. He’s earned every big of that money and then some.

Z was the best signing. His pass rush changes the defense.

All were good signings. About as good of a FA class as you could ask for.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner > Amos > Z > Preston is how I'll rank them this season.

Turner gets highest bang for the buck, and Amos has been a silent yet solid presence in our secondary. His leadership impact and help in development is Savage usually gets below notice.

Z and Preston - Solid, but I did expect more from them.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner > Amos > Z > Preston is how I'll rank them this season.

Turner gets highest bang for the buck, and Amos has been a silent yet solid presence in our secondary. His leadership impact and help in development is Savage usually gets below notice.

Z had 52 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 4 FF.

That’s a touch more than solid, imo.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now add in the 2019 draft with Jenkins, Savage and Gary. The 2019 offense fixed the offensive line, safety and olb positions. They safety position hadnt been good since Collins went down. The OLB hadnt been good since Clay was actually good. The oline really needed help at depth and the interior.

Keke has also been a solid addition to the dline from the draft.

To the original question I think Z has to be number 1. He has been such a play maker. Then it is a toss up between Amos and Turner. I just remember watching Dix and our other safeties constantly missing tackles and being out of position so Amos has been a breath of fresh air. Turner has been so versatile.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's Z'Darius, despite the big price tag. Erase that move, even with the additional cost compared to the other guys, and the difference over the last two seasons would be way greater than the other guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to PFF Z leads all edge defenders in pressures over the past two seasons. If you expected more out of him you had completely unrealistic expectations.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF Z leads all edge defenders in pressures over the past two seasons. If you expected more out of him you had completely unrealistic expectations.

You're talking to a fan base that believes MVS should be a 1,400 yards, 10 TD, 70 reception with a 70 catch %....perhaps you're expecting too much LOL

For the record I concur, Z has been vastly more than anyone could have hoped for. Preston I will argue has been a bust as some will claim, even this year he is doing certain things VERY well...but he has underperformed his cost in year 2.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You're talking to a fan base that believes MVS should be a 1,400 yards, 10 TD, 70 reception with a 70 catch %....perhaps you're expecting too much LOL

For the record I concur, Z has been vastly more than anyone could have hoped for. Preston I will argue has been a bust as some will claim, even this year he is doing certain things VERY well...but he has underperformed his cost in year 2.

I also recall a prediction that Ty Summers would have 10 sacks. So those "expectations" things can be a little wonky.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand fans getting frustrated with MVS based on him dropping easy catches as well as fumbling in overtime vs. the Colts.

Taking a realistic approach he has outperformed his draft status and shouldn't be the one criticized for the Packers having to rely on him to have an impact as the #2 receiver occasionally.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Scantling performs a role no one else
on the roster can consistently perform. Until the Packers find a suitable replacement for that role he’ll be on the roster unless he decides to go after bigger money than he can get here.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand fans getting frustrated with MVS based on him dropping easy catches as well as fumbling in overtime vs. the Colts.

Taking a realistic approach he has outperformed his draft status and shouldn't be the one criticized for the Packers having to rely on him to have an impact as the #2 receiver occasionally.

One of the most realistic takes on MVS I’ve seen here.

Members online

Latest posts