The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

D

Deleted member 6794

It normally takes tight ends some time to adjust to the NFL. Therefore I would rather prefer the Packers to use their first round picks on different positions.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft is really strong in iDL, Edge, and TE. Very, very good and deep at TE. There are, imo, 2-3 good single high safeties, and it's top heavy at OT. iOL is average, LB is bad, CB is meh, and WR is average to slightly above average. QB is bad. I don't even care about RB, it's easy to find one.

This fits in pretty well with our weaknesses. We're going to need another iDL to replace Mike Daniels. The time to find one, is now or very soon. We need an edge rusher...badly. I talked about it another thread, but with Daniels getting older, we don't have a single quick-twitch lineman on our team. We need that, preferably in the inside and on the edge. We need a TE. This is the draft to get one man, this draft is stacked at TE. We also need some OL, and it's not a great draft for them, but there are some.

Andre Dillard is a prototypical GB OT imo. Watch for his name.

Nasir Adderely might be my favorite safety prospect. He really reminds me a lot of Nick Collins.

Josh Allen, Jachai Polite, Brian Burns, Clelin Ferrell...pick one at pick 12. Brian Burns weight will be a big issue for him.

The LB from LSU, Devin White I think, he's really the only good LB that I know of in the draft. We could use somebody better than Martinez, because Martinez is ****-poor in coverage, but I'm not sure it's there in this draft. Maybe free agency? We shall see. Need an improvement there imo.

I will say this, I'm not sure if the other LSU CB (Kristian Fulton) is going to enter the draft, but he's better than his more highly touted teammate, Greedy Williams.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure if the Packers need any more mid round WR's with cool names, but a guy I like a lot is Texas WR Lil' Jordan Humphrey. He hasn't declared yet, but if he does, he is being projected 3rd-5th round. He can play the slot and at 6'4" and 225 he can go up and get a ball, as well as runs well after the catch. The guy already looks more chiseled than a lot of NFL WR's and I could see him being a match up nightmare playing slot. If he stays at Texas and puts together another season like he just had, I could see him being a first round pick in 2020.

Stats this year as the Longhorns #2 WR.

14 games 86 receptions 1176 yards 13.7 ave 9 TD's.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Humphrey, Hakeem Butler, and Antoine Wesley are all really intriguing big (big!) WR's that will be available on days 2 and 3.

I think my order of preference would be Butler, Wesley, Humphrey.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Humphrey, Hakeem Butler, and Antoine Wesley are all really intriguing big (big!) WR's that will be available on days 2 and 3.

I think my order of preference would be Butler, Wesley, Humphrey.
Nice choices. I saw Butler play and loved him, haven't seen Wesley, looks like he could use some time in the weight room.

Again, I don't really see the need to draft more WR's, unless Gute doesn't think much of his current 4 young guys. But if they don't resign Cobb and don't feel they have a good slot guy or can't find a slot replacement in Free Agency, they may have to draft a guy like Humphrey, which I wouldn't be too upset with.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think we should've taken Derwin James rather than trade down? He's pretty dyamic.
Yes, but I don’t think anyone predicted James would have such an incredible year. And the primary need was CB. Time changes everything.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice choices. I saw Butler play and loved him, haven't seen Wesley, looks like he could use some time in the weight room.

Again, I don't really see the need to draft more WR's, unless Gute doesn't think much of his current 4 young guys. But if they don't resign Cobb and don't feel they have a good slot guy or can't find a slot replacement in Free Agency, they may have to draft a guy like Humphrey, which I wouldn't be too upset with.
I hope they find a #2 WR to Adams in FA. Maybe give the Steelers the 2nd first round pick for him, although that seems like a long shot and AB has been around a while.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Color me shocked a Hawkeyes fan would claim they have the best player if it's within top 5 at a position. Most Badgers fans do that about RBs too. How's that worked out overall through the years :tdown::laugh:

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just mocked this one up online:

12: R1P12

DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS CLEMSON *Stud DT/DE that can replace Mike D when his deal is up*

32: R1P32

WR MARQUISE BROWN OKLAHOMA *Cheaper alternative 2 trading 4 AB/our Tyreek Hill*

44: R2P12

TE IRV SMITH ALABAMA *Our Kelce. Athletic specimen w/ good size/speed/hands as H-Back*

75: R3P11

EDGE BEN BANOGU TCU *Big, athletic, bad-*** OLB that can replace Perry right now/get PT*

114: R4P12

LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN *Good dimebacker/ST maven prospect-is athletic & can blitz*

118: R4P16

OT BOBBY EVANS OKLAHOMA *Depth project at RT with good pedigree*

151: R5P12

S LUKAS DENIS BOSTON COLLEGE *Potential future starting FS/Micah Hyde. Ballhawk!!!*

187: R6P12

WR TONY POLLARD MEMPHIS *Ty Montgomery 2.0-great depth weapon as #3 RB/KR/PR*

197: R6P22

G DRU SAMIA OKLAHOMA *Potential future LG/replacement for Lane Taylor. Can move well*

228: R7P12

S MARQUISE BLAIR UTAH *Big box safety w/ some center-field skills. Upgrade from Brice*

I basically chose Irv Smith over doubling down on an EDGE-OLB type like Ximines out of ODU. What it looks like to me is that if GB just stood pat and went down the board/certain players don't drastically move up or down thru the combine process we could snag some really good young players and get this roster right rather quickly.

My thought process is get more athletic/pass defense heavy as well as give Aaron some legit help to run a more horizontally attacking speed/quick throw based offense.

My picks were also based on us signing Thomas from SEA/Lorenzo Alexander from BUF/Saffold from LAR as FAs this off-season, along with keeping Breeland, Gilbert, Bell, Cobb, Tonyan, and Kumerow. Ryan, Brice, Mo Wilkerson, Perry, Clay, Bulaga, G-Mo, Lewis, and Kendricks don't come back.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Just mocked this one up online:

12: R1P12

DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS CLEMSON *Stud DT/DE that can replace Mike D when his deal is up*

32: R1P32

WR MARQUISE BROWN OKLAHOMA *Cheaper alternative 2 trading 4 AB/our Tyreek Hill*

44: R2P12

TE IRV SMITH ALABAMA *Our Kelce. Athletic specimen w/ good size/speed/hands as H-Back*

75: R3P11

EDGE BEN BANOGU TCU *Big, athletic, bad-*** OLB that can replace Perry right now/get PT*

114: R4P12

LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN *Good dimebacker/ST maven prospect-is athletic & can blitz*

118: R4P16

OT BOBBY EVANS OKLAHOMA *Depth project at RT with good pedigree*

151: R5P12

S LUKAS DENIS BOSTON COLLEGE *Potential future starting FS/Micah Hyde. Ballhawk!!!*

187: R6P12

WR TONY POLLARD MEMPHIS *Ty Montgomery 2.0-great depth weapon as #3 RB/KR/PR*

197: R6P22

G DRU SAMIA OKLAHOMA *Potential future LG/replacement for Lane Taylor. Can move well*

228: R7P12

S MARQUISE BLAIR UTAH *Big box safety w/ some center-field skills. Upgrade from Brice*

I basically chose Irv Smith over doubling down on an EDGE-OLB type like Ximines out of ODU. What it looks like to me is that if GB just stood pat and went down the board/certain players don't drastically move up or down thru the combine process we could snag some really good young players and get this roster right rather quickly.

My thought process is get more athletic/pass defense heavy as well as give Aaron some legit help to run a more horizontally attacking speed/quick throw based offense.

My picks were also based on us signing Thomas from SEA/Lorenzo Alexander from BUF/Saffold from LAR as FAs this off-season, along with keeping Breeland, Gilbert, Bell, Cobb, Tonyan, and Kumerow. Ryan, Brice, Mo Wilkerson, Perry, Clay, Bulaga, G-Mo, Lewis, and Kendricks don't come back.

I really like it. The only thing I would change is insert Parris Campbell for Brown and it would be perfect.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned before McDaniels likes two tight end sets so if he does indeed does become the HC it wouldn’t shock me to see them draft The Iowa kid, cut Graham, and build around the much cheaper, faster, and you get tandem of Tonyan and the Iowa Kid.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like it. The only thing I would change is insert Parris Campbell for Brown and it would be perfect.

Campbell should def be on our draft primer, but I think Brown is even more explosive than him so would prefer the latter. But if Marquise is gone before we can get him I would think we could get an EDGE with the Saints pick and then grab Campbell in the 3rd or something...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Paris will be there in the 2nd rd if the Packers want him. He won’t go before then. I’d love to have his deep speed on our roster. He’s come a long way as a wr. Reminds me a lot of Oakland’s Tim Brown with his size, speed, and run after catch ability. He’d definitely be the kick returner.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Paris will be there in the 2nd rd if the Packers want him. He won’t go before then. I’d love to have his deep speed on our roster. He’s come a long way as a wr. Reminds me a lot of Oakland’s Tim Brown with his size, speed, and run after catch ability. He’d definitely be the kick returner.

Yeah, that's why I like Campbell over Brown as Campbell has NFL body to go with speed and huge wingspan for a guy his size. I just believe he projects as a better NFL player. Campbell would make Cobb look like he was standing still.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Campbell should def be on our draft primer, but I think Brown is even more explosive than him so would prefer the latter. But if Marquise is gone before we can get him I would think we could get an EDGE with the Saints pick and then grab Campbell in the 3rd or something...

I prefer Campbell over Brown but there both better then what we have now. I love the Pollard pick. We need an array of speed.

We need to get back to this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

If Campbell runs that fast at combine and tears it up like I think he will I don't know if he will make it to 2nd round. He is a prospect on the rise.

https://amp.barstoolsports.com/bars...yard-dash-not-included-on-fastest-cfb-players

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should definitely not sign three free agents over 30 years old looking for another decent pay day.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That draft is kind of BS imo... It has Jonah Williams falling all the way to #18??? (We would take him immediately if he fell)... and I don't see Jachai Polite, Greedy Williams, and Clelin Ferrell all falling into the 20s.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That draft is kind of BS imo... It has Jonah Williams falling all the way to #18??? (We would take him immediately if he fell)... and I don't see Jachai Polite, Greedy Williams, and Clelin Ferrell all falling into the 20s.

The draft is deep at edge and not so deep at other positions so players fall every year. All the players selected ahead of them have 1st round grades and there are gonna be teams that reach for QB's which pushes other talent down the board. As much as teams say there gonna get the best available player when it comes down to it they usually draft for need.

These mocks will obviously change after free agency and combine and as other things come to light. I just like the buzz of us actually getting Parris Campbell. I also wouldn't complain about gettting Rashan Gary and having him line up next to Kenny Clark.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer Campbell over Brown but there both better then what we have now. I love the Pollard pick. We need an array of speed.

We need to get back to this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Other than Jordy I think that could be accomplished but don't you think some of those guys are rather old.

Seriously though this is when the Packers had the best pass catching group in the league. Its been going downhill ever since and but for the saving grace of Adams it would be pretty dismal right now unless you count potential.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charlie Campbell does a good job. He is tied into several scouts and his analysis and rankings are usually pretty good. Especially early in the process. Read his comments on each of the players to understand his reasoning.

H

HardRightEdge

So we’re going to take a guy vying to maybe be the best tight end from Iowa with a first round pick? Doesnt sound great to me
Given what we know now, I'd take Hockenson over Fant. Hockenson is actually a TE, if that's what you're looking for. The little I've seen of Fant he looks like an oversized WR, and one to whom Iowa stopped throwing the ball, which begs a question. I don't think I'd want Fant at all at this early juncture unless he was diving down the board. Somebody, I forget who, had the Packers taking Fant at #14 when the Packers had that projected pick. It just goes to show, don't mock drunk.

We don't know yet if either or both will declare for the draft. Fant likely, Hockenson?

There are a lot of needs on this roster and TE is not currently at the top of the list. However, if the Packers held onto Graham, paid him the $300,000 roster bonus due before the draft, then were able to draft Hockenson after a good Combine in the second round, and then cut Graham for the cap savings, I would not cry. I might even smile. Then again, I'm looking for a build toward 2020, but I seem to be alone in that opinion.

Lets see what these guys do at the Combine, if they even declare, before we get too carried away. NFL linebackers keep getting faster. I don't want a TE who doesn't run at least in the 4.6's. If Hockenson, or anybody else, can't crack that number I'm not interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts