The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . . however my impression from the analysts is that this OT class is pretty shallow. If they have a shot at a worthy prospect at that position, I might lean that direction.
Here's the thing, last year was loaded with 2nd Tier CB talent. That prompted teams, I believe, to pass on very good CBs early because they could find a good CB later in the 3rd round. Therefore a quality CB like Alexander was available later than his talent would suggest. Remember Oakland raising eyebrows by reaching for an OT they needed? This year its Edge and DTs. We should be able to get a really good one with our 1st pick. But you never know what the draft may bring us or our player rating is an outlier compared to rest of the league.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the thing, last year was loaded with 2nd Tier CB talent. That prompted teams, I believe, to pass on very good CBs early because they could find a good CB later in the 3rd round. Therefore a quality CB like Alexander was available later than his talent would suggest. Remember Oakland raising eyebrows by reaching for an OT they needed? This year its Edge and DTs. We should be able to get a really good one with our 1st pick. But you never know what the draft may bring us or our player rating is an outlier compared to rest of the league.

Yeah that's why I said "worthy"-- I'm not advocating for a reach. But if there's a good one there early, might make the most sense to take him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's literally what you said in your first post on this thread.

I think it's great that you like Campbell. I haven't watched and don't have an opinion. But somehow I get the feeling that every argument you make this year is going to circle back to him. Like today-- "we can't move on from Jones; it's too early" and "we know what we have in the young receivers; we need to draft Campbell." Funny how that works.

Its more like we can't afford to draft another DB with a top pick but go ahead and mince my words.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wasn't your Sutton comp last year Julio Jones?

I still really like Sutton. We could actually have sutton and Mixon already. Then with Parris Campbell and some OL upgrades we would be unstoppable.

Instead were losers.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I still really like Sutton. We could actually have sutton and Mixon already. Then with Parris Campbell and some OL upgrades we would be unstoppable.

Instead were losers.

Totally. If we could just replace MVS's 463 and 2 with Sutton's vastly superior 614 and 3, we'd be Super Bowl bound.

And imagine if we could tack on Charles Harris' 2 career sacks! Domination.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered someone, even on football forums, who crowed so much about mediocre to bad takes.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Totally. If we could just replace MVS's 463 and 2 with Sutton's vastly superior 614 and 3, we'd be Super Bowl bound.

And imagine if we could tack on Charles Harris' 2 career sacks! Domination.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered someone, even on football forums, who crowed so much about mediocre to bad takes.

Bad takes? Like continuing to draft defensive backs with high picks and magically thinking were gonna all the sudden win?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bad takes? Like continuing to draft defensive backs with high picks and magically thinking were gonna all the sudden win?

No, like spending 6 mos tirelessly shoving players down everyone's throats, comping them to HOF caliber talent, and then gloating over the mediocre returns. That's what I mean by "bad takes."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No, like spending 6 mos tirelessly shoving players down everyone's throats, comping them to HOF caliber talent, and then gloating over the mediocre returns. That's what I mean by "bad takes."

We would be far better off with Joe Mixon, Courtland Sutton and Parris Campbell then where we are now.

In fact all the sudden we would be a playoff team Hate all you want. :cool:

I'd give up Kevin King, Alexandar and whatever "box safety" your gonna draft this year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I said "worthy"-- I'm not advocating for a reach. But if there's a good one there early, might make the most sense to take him.
I think our biggest need as a team is at Guard. There are a few this year that would make sense in round 2, 3, and 4, that would be immediate starters. With our OGs, that isnt saying much.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We would be far better off with Joe Mixon, Courtland Sutton and Parris Campbell then where we are now.

I'd give up Kevin King, Alexandar and whatever "box safety" your gonna draft this year.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess as long as we're bragging, I should remind you that I wanted Alvin Kamara over Mixon, Calvin Ridley over Sutton, and T.J. Watt over Harris. But see, that would be stupid because I'm wrong plenty too. So it's odd that you're the one who can't stop patting yourself on the back... even for players who haven't even been drafted yet :laugh:.

Never change, Brandon.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think our biggest need as a team is at Guard. There are a few this year that would make sense in round 2, 3, and 4, that would be immediate starters. With our OGs, that isnt saying much.

You could make that case. If they kept Bulaga around for his last year, someone like Jonah Williams could potentially play RG for a year and then slide over. You'd address the immediate need while also having an answer for the longer term issue at OT, which is a lot harder to fill.

One thing that strikes me is how poor this FA class for offensive linemen. There isn't much there-- maybe some stop gaps, but little else. They're going to have to hit it in the draft. I wouldn't balk at three picks spent on the line. Look at what that's done for Indianapolis-- they finally stopped investing in skill position players and rebuilt a perennially bad line. Now ***** has made a unit that's talent poor outside of the line, Luck, and Hilton into a top 10 scoring offense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I guess as long as we're bragging, I should remind you that I wanted Alvin Kamara over Mixon, Calvin Ridley over Sutton, and T.J. Watt over Harris. But see, that would be stupid because I'm wrong plenty too. So it's odd that you're the one who can't stop patting yourself on the back... even for players who haven't even been drafted yet :laugh:.

Never change, Brandon.

Unfortunately we don't play in a dome so once again I am looking at guys that would be the best fit for the Packers.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is anybody advocating for a box safety with an early pick? Cause I don't think anybody is.

I know it's a lot to ask from you, but try not to make crap up. It doesn't help your already poor arguing skills.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Never change, Brandon.

Also, Parris Campbell was projected as a 2-3rd round pick last year and now probably top 20. Isn"t the idea of picking players finding ones that project best for us?

Seems to be a disconnect going on here.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campbell ain't going first round, just like Sutton didn't go first round.

I would argue we would be better served to better outside WR's and let Adams run the slot where he's a bigger mismatch.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't play in a dome so once again I am looking at guys that would be the best fit for the Packers.

Oh my word... :coffee:

Just to be clear... the Packers don't need players like Calvin Ridley and Alvin Kamara because they play outdoors. Wild!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alright-- Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama.

I watched two games this afternoon (Georgia and LSU). Here's my take:

Pros:
  • He has OT feet all day long; stays square and in front of his defender with relative ease; pretty pass set.
  • Plays with great pad level; ++ drive blocker; Bama ran behind him multiple times in short yardage and he was money.
  • Great anchor; sits down into his block and stones would-be bull rushers.
  • Strong hands, and uses them well-- keeps them inside, in the defender's chest, and rarely gets shed.
  • Seeks and destroys at the 2nd level; he can get a bead on a LB and push him back into the locker room.
  • Effective combo blocker when asked to double team; understands how to time the peal and typically gets the 2nd man.
  • Demonstrates plus awareness when handling stunts and twists; hands off and takes on without a problem.
Cons:
  • Struggles at times with length; Ledbetter got him with an arm over twice, and #45 of LSU got him once.
  • Better as a gap blocker than zone in the running game; can lose his feet at time when trying to flow down the line.
  • Occasionally oversets and leaves his inside shoulder vulnerable (rarely-- I'm reaching here).
Bottom Line: Williams is listed at 6'5" 302. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a touch shorter and a little heavier. His arm length measurements will be interesting. If he fails at OT in the NFL, it will be over length issues. He handles power with ease, he can dance with speed rushers, and it's typically game over once he locks in on his defender. The achilles heel to his game comes against long levered defensive linemen. On three occasions, I saw him mis-time his punch and the EDGE got a long arm in his chest and then swam inside. At times, he will lunge in these situations. It's far from automatic-- he shut down other attempts-- but it's a blotch on an otherwise excellent prospect. His work in the running game is top notch. He generates a ton of pop as a down blocker, will move his man off the LOS as a drive blocker, and works the second level well. Given what Campen has done here with OT's who lack elite length, my guess is that he would be a stud in Green Bay. And his size would also lend itself to playing inside if/when necessary. I'd take this guy in the first round all day long.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Campbell ain't going first round, just like Sutton didn't go first round.

I would argue we would be better served to better outside WR's and let Adams run the slot where he's a bigger mismatch.

He is better then Jeremy Ross who went first round. I'm seeing him as high as the second rated receiver in this draft. The combine will move Campbell up even more.

I would be okay having him outside some opposite MVS which would definitely help open up the middle for Adam's underneath. The possibilities are endless when you add a talent like Campbell. It would be a "game changer" pick

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wait isn't your other receiver of choice N'Keal Harry? Of ASU (i.e. PAC 12)?

Are we supposed to avoid PAC 12 glass or draft it?

I'm very very very very careful when I reccomend a player from the Pac 12.

Members online

Latest posts