The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

Reaction score
Now that it’s obvious we’re picking top 10 range, one option that wouldn’t be terribly costly would be to pair our 1st and 3rd pick and get a difference maker like Clelin to replace CM3.
We’d still have our late 1st round pick (Saints) and an early 3rd round pick (top 75 overall) and could likely pick up another early 3rd DAY pick in the trade process. Also, by letting Clay go, we’d free up considerable cap room which in turn would allow us to double down at LB in FA.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we happen to stay draft around the number 10 pick. There are a number of players that we should be looking at. Obviously there will be many opinions on whom we should draft, but here is my take on it. On the defensive side we have fully invested and failed on so many draft picks lately that it has also now started to take a toll on the offensive side as well. Pettine has at least made the defense a somewhat better and still should be given pieces to continue to improve, but I would like to see much of the improvement to be done in free agency with the draft supplementing those pickups. Getting Dante Fowler, Shaquil Barrett or Anthony Barr, and Earl Thomas or Honey Badger would significantly make this defense better and wouldn't require the use of many top draft picks to help as well.

We should be prioritizing offense early unless say a defensive star falls to us (John Allen, Nick Bosa, or Ed Oliver type player). Currently, it looks like 2 maybe 3 teams in front of us might need to use their first round pick on their new QB's (NYG, JAX,and Cinn and possibly TB). With our first pick, I want to see it be Jonah Williams or Greg Little. While both of these might not make it down to us, if they do we should immediately get that pick in. This Aaron Rodgers has had one of his worst perceived years and it is directly related to our O-Line being poor and to injuries & youth at our receivers. What I mean with the O-Line is that not only did the O-Line struggle keeping ARod healthy, they also led Rodgers to experience happy feet because his O-Line wasn't the same as it has been. Outside of Bahk and Lindsey, the entire rest of the line needs to be improved thru new players thru the draft and free agency. There are a few defensive players that if they dropped to us I'd pick first, but if those players don't fall to us... we should be targeting both of these players for our first pick.

Our second pick obviously becomes more a trap shoot in picking so early, but again I'd really like to see it be on the offensive side of the ball. Davante Adams has been amazing, but both he and ARod need more help on the outside to maximize this offense. I'm not sure that any of the WR's we currently have can be that #2 that makes defenses think differently about how they currently cover us. Davante is going to have 110+ catches, ~1500 yards, and 12+ TDs while being constantly double teamed or heavily leaned towards in the secondary. Allison, ESB, MVS, and possibly J'Mon could make the jump needed in the offseason, but that will take a lot of offseason work with getting on the same page with ARod. Each of them have showed flashes of a possible future #2, but have also shown flashes of WTF was that. An upgrade at TE could also be in order with that first pick. Noah Fant and Albert Okwuegbunam both look to be early picks that would help this team out. I would be targeting either of those TE's and either of those two WR's AJ Brown and N'keal Harris. All four of those players would help this team out immediately.

I would be excited with a combo of those 6 players making up our 1st round. We would be starting to provide two bookend tackles to protect Rodgers on the O-Line and help the receiving corps in providing more weapons for Rodgers and for Adams. Both the Vikings and the Bears have been drafting so early this decade that they have a dearth of defensive talent that we need to protect ARod from that and getting at least 2 starting O-Line from this draft and a free agent OG is almost a requirement.

D

Deleted member 6794

YES!!!! james is a cornerstone of a defense....and will be in the pro bowl for many years to come. Gute missed him big time, Alexander is fine..but josh jackson is simply terrible. Gute missed on Burks also terrible...and to top it off Gute missed on Graham too. everyone loves Gute due to how bad TT was ...not me..he missed quite a bit is first year.

There's no doubt that some moves by Gutekunst haven't worked out as planned (if you expect all transactions to be successful you will definitely get disappointed) but there's no doubt in my mind that overall he has done a pretty good job during his first year as the team's general manager.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derwin should be a star in the league, but Jaire has shown that he is also going to be one as well. Derwin was drafted one position higher than Jaire, but had he dropped past the Chargers at #17 to us, we would have taken him. The Derwin vs Jaire draft comparison is inaccurate because actually you have to look at it as:

Derwin James vs Jaire Alexander and who we pick with the Saints pick... and to be perfectly honest, Jaire and hopefully this Saints pick will be better than just James.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Now that it’s obvious we’re picking top 10 range, one option that wouldn’t be terribly costly would be to pair our 1st and 3rd pick and get a difference maker like Clelin to replace CM3.
We’d still have our late 1st round pick (Saints) and an early 3rd round pick (top 75 overall) and could likely pick up another early 3rd DAY pick in the trade process. Also, by letting Clay go, we’d free up considerable cap room which in turn would allow us to double down at LB in FA.

I haven't hardly watched anyone in this class to be able to comment on what the Packers should specifically do in with their first pick, however my impression from the analysts is that this OT class is pretty shallow. If they have a shot at a worthy prospect at that position, I might lean that direction.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early FS prospects that I like/have heard other people I trust say are good:

Deionte Thompson - Bama
Nasir Adderley - Delaware
Marquise Blair - Utah

Some people seem to think Taylor Rapp from Washington can play single high, some people don't. I'm fairly high on him, very instinctual player.

We obviously have need for a box safety too, but they're easier to find.

Reaction score
Brian Burns should go top 50. He could be a nice addition and if he slides. Brian has some growing out to do (230+lb) but his long frame and explosive athleticism and motor is exciting. It’ll likely take him a year or two to develop into a dominant rusher but I see him as more a Reggie Gilbert type in early 2019 but with a higher final ceiling by season end. If he slides into the 3rd round he’s a moderate risk high reward player to develop. I still think we should go after a pass rusher inside top 10 overall and make it stick early.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early FS prospects that I like/have heard other people I trust say are good:

Deionte Thompson - Bama
Nasir Adderley - Delaware
Marquise Blair - Utah

Some people seem to think Taylor Rapp from Washington can play single high, some people don't. I'm fairly high on him, very instinctual player.

I'm going to say something very, very bold.

Nasir Adderley is a slightly less athletic Nick Collins.

I must have him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Free agency affects some of this but if we could get Earl Thomas and Dee Ford this would have us winning again.

1A) Parris Campbell WR OSU
1B) Montez Sweat Edge MSU
2) Chris Lindstrom G BC
3) Andre Dillard OT WSU
4) Lamical Perine RB Florida

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking a WR who can't run routes in the top 15 seems like a bad idea to me.

Like...let's remember who our QB is, and how precise he likes his routes ran. Campbell is a gadget guy. He ain't it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Taking a WR who can't run routes in the top 15 seems like a bad idea to me.

Like...let's remember who our QB is, and how precise he likes his routes ran. Campbell is a gadget guy. He ain't it.

We need to replace Cobb and Campbell on talent alone will be an upgrade. He will probably run 4.2-4.3's at combine and put on a smoke show. He also has an NFL body and nice wingspan to go with it. He can accelerate on a dime. The guy progressed on his route running this year and showed up big in big games. We can put him in the slot day 1 and give our new OC and AR12 a new toy that is desperately needed. He isnt going to make it too the bottom of the 1st and he could help take our offense back to being dangerous.

IMO he can have a Percy Harvin or Tyreek Hill type impact and I'm tired of settling for imitation knock offs. We need to quite skimping on elite talent on the offensive side and if this season hasn't demonstrated that I don't know what will.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the Packers having more pressing needs entering the offseason they might count on Josh Jones developing into a decent box safety.

Brian Burns should go top 50. He could be a nice addition and if he slides. Brian has some growing out to do (230+lb) but his long frame and explosive athleticism and motor is exciting.

I'm not fond of selecting an edge rusher currently only weighing 230 pounds.

1A) Parris Campbell WR OSU

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the winner of the 2019 Courtland Sutton's lookalike contest ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers having more pressing needs entering the offseason they might count on Josh Jones developing into a decent box safety.

I'm not fond of selecting an edge rusher currently only weighing 230 pounds.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the winner of the 2019 Courtland Sutton's lookalike contest ;)

Josh Jones won't be counted on to play box safety, guarantee that. He's not good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Josh Jones won't be counted on to play box safety, guarantee that. He's not good.

In that case I wonder what you think his role will be on next year's squad. He's definitely not suited to line up at free safety.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Unfortunately a second round pick was used on Josh Jones. We just can't afford to do "re-do's" every year on the secondary. Gonna have to roll with what we have.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately a second round pick was used on Josh Jones. We just can't afford to do "re-do's" every year on the secondary. Gonna have to roll with what we have.

Whether it's FA or the draft, we will be addressing the safety position.

Get over it.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The logic of this runs completely counter to the way you've discounted all the young talent at WR.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The logic of this runs completely counter to the way you've discounted all the young talent at WR.

No it's not. We haven't spent anywhere close to a second round pick on a receiver since Adams. People need to understand that when you make a top pick investment you are somewhat stuck with that player and he will be given every chance in the world to develop. Same thing with Spriggs. It's just how it works in the salary cap system.

We certainly dont need to waste a top pick on a "box safey". They have drafted both Jones(2nd round) and Burks(3rd round) to play hybrid LB roles and Brice can play SS too. So we have both Brice and Jones that can play SS. Anything but a late round flier on a box safety would be a waste.

Now I am all the way down on getting a true FS in free agency such as Earl Thonas.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No it's not. We haven't spent anywhere close to a second round pick on a receiver since Adams. People need to understand that when you make a top pick investment you are somewhat stuck with that player and he will be given every chance in the world to develop. Same thing with Spriggs. It's just how it works in the salary system.

We certainly dont need to waste a top pick on a "box safey". They have drafted both Jones(2nd round) and Burks(3rd round) to play hybrid LB roles and Brice cam play SS too. So we have both Brice and Jones that can play SS. Anything but a late round flier on a box safety would be a waste.

Now I am all the way down getting a true FS in free agency such as Earl Thonas.

It's the same in that you're writing off talent before we are certain of what we have. They may not have invested a 2nd, but they did invest a 4th, 5th, and 6th while also having two undrafted guys that have shown some ability. You've already said that none of them can even be so much as a #2. It's a funny contradiction.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's the same in that you're writing off talent before we are certain of what we have. They may not have invested a 2nd, but they did invest a 4th, 5th, and 6th while also having two undrafted guys that have shown some ability. You've already said that none of them can even be so much as a #2. It's a funny contradiction.

That's not what I said. I'm somewhat high on Scantling but not too high. I've never said to give up on Scantling. I believe he will be the best of the bunch but time will tell for sure.

My position is simple. We NEED a slot receiver. I would prefer one with elite talent such as Parris Campbell. If we can get that kind of speed and explosion in the middle along with another solid RB and OL help then i'm fine with G-Mo, Scantling etc etc battling it out for the 2 spot outside and developing. I believe those upgrades with a new OC and a fresh new offense can get us back "Winning"

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's not what I said. I'm somewhat high on Scantling but not too high. I've never said to give up on Scantling. I believe he will be the best of the bunch but time will tell for sure.

My position is simple. We NEED a slot receiver. I would prefer one with elite talent such as Parris Campbell. If we can get that kind of speed and explosion in the middle along with another solid RB and OL help then i'm fine with G-Mo, Scantling etc etc battling it out for the 2 spot outside and developing. I believe those upgrades with a new OC and a fresh new offense can get us back "Winning"

That's literally what you said in your first post on this thread.

I think it's great that you like Campbell. I haven't watched and don't have an opinion. But somehow I get the feeling that every argument you make this year is going to circle back to him. Like today-- "we can't move on from Jones; it's too early" and "we know what we have in the young receivers; we need to draft Campbell." Funny how that works.

Members online