The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I still don't want Calvin Ridley. He had a decent rookie year but he played in an Atlanta offense with Matt Ryan in a dome. He slowed down big time down the stretch and had an amazing 1 catch for 10 yards at Lambeau.

Ridley is not the answer to our problems.

He would have made a lot bigger impact than Sutton, that's for sure!

But Alexander was a much better choice than either.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well since someone asked I posted this regarding Dillard back on December 19th in this very same thread.

With that said I dont know if Diillard will fit what the Packers want to do on offense moving forward but he is great in pass pro.

Pardon me, but I was consciously aware of all of those players in that list before you. Please stop picking up my crumbs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well since someone asked I posted this regarding Dillard back on December 19th in this very same thread.

With that said I dont know if Diillard will fit what the Packers want to do on offense moving forward but he is great in pass pro.

Pardon me, but I was consciously aware of all of those players in that list before you. Please stop picking up my crumbs.

Here is my post from June 2002:

just a quick update for the 2019 draft:

Parris Campbell looked great in early in a duck duck goose game. He certainly had the agility and speed to make it the next 8 levels, but showing questionable hands when dropping his juice box when he was the goose on 2 occasions.
And in august the same year:
Andre Dillard looked good in Red rover. Nice lateral movement skills and flexes well out of his stance. If he can put on another 285 lbs and 45" of height, I'm projecting him at OT in the 3rd or 4th round. 5th round if he doesnt quite fill out and Is a OG.

Now both of you can shut the he11 up.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I watched a good bit of Clelin Ferrell this afternoon (BC, TAMU, Alabama). I'll have to go back and rewatch a little 2017 tape at some point, because he wasn't quite the same player as I remember (though not in a bad way).
  • Ferrell's game boils down to two key elements: length and power.
  • The foundation of his pass rush approach boils down to long levers and strong, violent hands.
  • He has the skill set to convert speed to power, pressuring the OT's outside shoulder and then bulling his way back to the QB.
  • Against Alabama, he used a straight bull rush that just absolutely destroyed Jonah Williams... just put him on his back.
  • He doesn't have the raw burst to completely blow past an OT, nor the flexibility to turn a tight arc.
  • He has enough twitch to counter inside if the OT over-sets.
  • He has an NFL caliber spin move that I saw a handful of times.
  • He sets a strong edge in the running game.
  • He occasionally drops into the flat, but that's certainly not his game at all.
  • He has the feet to be really dangerous on E/T stunts; he also shows evidence of being able to reduce inside and create interior pressure.
After B0sa, there is a cluster of edge defenders in this class that includes Allen, Ferrell, Polite, Sweat, and Burns. Ferrell is unique in that group. He can play anywhere from the 5 to the 9 in base defense and could really line up anywhere in passing situations. He's a three down player as a plus run defender.

I like Ferrell and Allen about the same, but for totally different reasons. Allen would replace Fackrell as a blitzer who can drop capably into coverage. You could use him differently on any given play. Ferrell is your replacement for Nick Perry, as a guy who lines up most of the time with his hand in the dirt and comes after the QB in a variety of ways.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a good bit of Clelin Ferrell this afternoon (BC, TAMU, Alabama). I'll have to go back and rewatch a little 2017 tape at some point, because he wasn't quite the same player as I remember (though not in a bad way).
  • Ferrell's game boils down to two key elements: length and power.
  • The foundation of his pass rush approach boils down to long levers and strong, violent hands.
  • He has the skill set to convert speed to power, pressuring the OT's outside shoulder and then bulling his way back to the QB.
  • Against Alabama, he used a straight bull rush that just absolutely destroyed Jonah Williams... just put him on his back.
  • He doesn't have the raw burst to completely blow past an OT, nor the flexibility to turn a tight arc.
  • He has enough twitch to counter inside if the OT over-sets.
  • He has an NFL caliber spin move that I saw a handful of times.
  • He sets a strong edge in the running game.
  • He occasionally drops into the flat, but that's certainly not his game at all.
  • He has the feet to be really dangerous on E/T stunts; he also shows evidence of being able to reduce inside and create interior pressure.
After B0sa, there is a cluster of edge defenders in this class that includes Allen, Ferrell, Polite, Sweat, and Burns. Ferrell is unique in that group. He can play anywhere from the 5 to the 9 in base defense and could really line up anywhere in passing situations. He's a three down player as a plus run defender.

I like Ferrell and Allen about the same, but for totally different reasons. Allen would replace Fackrell as a blitzer who can drop capably into coverage. You could use him differently on any given play. Ferrell is your replacement for Nick Perry, as a guy who lines up most of the time with his hand in the dirt and comes after the QB in a variety of ways.

Dante’s that’s a LOT of crumbs!

...and I agree with you. Ferrell appears to be a solid defender and would be a great choice if he is available at #12.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dante’s that’s a LOT of crumbs!

...and I agree with you. Ferrell appears to be a solid defender and would be a great choice if he is available at #12.

Fair point.

So Ferrell was originally Amish's cookie, I picked up his crumbs by mentioning Ferrell above, and now anyone else that mentions him will be vacuuming up my specks.

We turned the manual into a PDF. Ask Brandon and he will email you one.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair point.

So Ferrell was originally Amish's cookie, I picked up his crumbs by mentioning Ferrell above, and now anyone else that mentions him will be vacuuming up my specks.
I am negotiating to sell the cookie rights of Ferrell to the discovery channel so I'm having my attorney create a cease and desist notification for all posts relating to Ferrell.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am negotiating to sell the cookie rights of Ferrell to the discovery channel so I'm having my attorney create a cease and desist notification for all posts relating to Ferrell.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
While I agree with that, the need exists, not sure we would find such a player instantly in the draft. Could take a season or two to see the payoff, if at all. So I guess it depends on when you expect this player to contribute fully. Also, depends on the current WR group and if the coaches feel any of the younger guys are ready to step up in 2019. If Cobb isn't resigned and none of the young guys are fully looked at as "quality 2019 starters", than as I said, I would prefer the Packers going the Free Agent route to find such a player.
I actually like the idea. I still think we should go after positions that have a larger impact round 1. I’d like to see at least 1 OL early. No later than pick #44 and ideally #30 overall. We’ve also been pretty successful drafting Wideouts in rounds 2-3 anyways.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It won't matter who the Packers draft or sign in free agency if the NFL doesn't get a handle on the officiating. That was just a joke what went on out there today.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It won't matter who the Packers draft or sign in free agency if the NFL doesn't get a handle on the officiating. That was just a joke what went on out there today.
One good thing might come out of that blown call in the Saints game, maybe....finally....coaches may get the option to challenge things like that. Some will say "its a judgement call and shouldn't be reviewable"....really? At one time a catch, the marking of a ball, a fumble, were all judgement calls and replay has shown time and again that they aren't always called correctly in a split second. The Phantom "roughing the passer call" against the Chiefs was another back breaker, that a booth review would have overturned.

With modern technology, it shouldn't even take challenges to get it right.

Yes, somewhere I know we have a thread on this. :D

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and when there are challenges, they still can't get it right.

but as bad as that penalty was, there's a big part of me that is glad they didn't call it. On one hand, it was a penalty, on the other, I absolutely hate it when poor offensive plays are rewarded by penalty. Something about a bad ball that's ripe for a pick 6 being the pass that ends the game because of penalty wouldn't have sat right with me either. and I know it's the play everyone will talk about, but there were others. Cripes, Micheal Thomas ripped a helmet off because he was pissed he couldn't get a ball. I saw at least 2 other obvious face mask penalties by the Saints in that game too. It's not like that was the "only" call, it's just the one people will remember, especially Saints fans

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and when there are challenges, they still can't get it right.

but as bad as that penalty was, there's a big part of me that is glad they didn't call it. On one hand, it was a penalty, on the other, I absolutely hate it when poor offensive plays are rewarded by penalty. Something about a bad ball that's ripe for a pick 6 being the pass that ends the game because of penalty wouldn't have sat right with me either. and I know it's the play everyone will talk about, but there were others. Cripes, Micheal Thomas ripped a helmet off because he was pissed he couldn't get a ball. I saw at least 2 other obvious face mask penalties by the Saints in that game too. It's not like that was the "only" call, it's just the one people will remember, especially Saints fans
Yes. Despite the obvious missed call, the Saints came out ahead on the bad officiating. Saints fans have nothing to complain about. I would toss in 2 or 3 holding penalties that seemed more obvious than most.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I still want a real explanation on the whistles. I'm not buying their "one" fan excuse. and what was with the coach with the whistle in his mouth hiding behind a play sheet? and the Saints fans I saw earlier in the game double ******* 2 aerosol cans? Seriously, WTF was that about? how do you even get those in and what were they? and I swear I saw fans shaking aluminum beer bottles, i'm guessing the drop some change in them and make a shaker?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and I still want a real explanation on the whistles. I'm not buying their "one" fan excuse. and what was with the coach with the whistle in his mouth hiding behind a play sheet? and the Saints fans I saw earlier in the game double ******* 2 aerosol cans? Seriously, WTF was that about? how do you even get those in and what were they? and I swear I saw fans shaking aluminum beer bottles, i'm guessing the drop some change in them and make a shaker?

The "Coach with a whistle in his mouth" was a fan dressed as a coach.

I'm all about fans being allowed to get pumped up and show their enthusiasm, but only with the use of their hands, mouths and feet. I can not stand the home team being able to pump in amped up sounds (music, sirens, etc,), except between timeouts, nor do I think fans should be allowed to bring in any type of noise makers, including whistles. Next thing you know, teams are going to start issuing bull horns at the gates. Imagine trying to communicate on the field over 70,000+ people screaming through a bull horn. Home field is a definite advantage, but I think some fans and stadiums are being allowed to take it a bit too far.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One good thing might come out of that blown call in the Saints game, maybe....finally....coaches may get the option to challenge things like that. Some will say "its a judgement call and shouldn't be reviewable"....really? At one time a catch, the marking of a ball, a fumble, were all judgement calls and replay has shown time and again that they aren't always called correctly in a split second. The Phantom "roughing the passer call" against the Chiefs was another back breaker, that a booth review would have overturned.

With modern technology, it shouldn't even take challenges to get it right.

Yes, somewhere I know we have a thread on this. :D

I'm telling you man... we've got to go the other way. Give the rulebook a haircut and get rid of all replay. No challenges. No review. Play the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm telling you man... we've got to go the other way. Give the rulebook a haircut and get rid of all replay. No challenges. No review. Play the game.
What and quadruple the pissing and moaning after games? Television and modern technology has almost forced this situation and the internet brings it front and center. When the casual viewer can see just how bad a call is missed, from many angles, frame by frame and zoomed in, " Just play the game, the bad calls all balance out just doesn't cut it". The Networks are finally settling in with the situation and using the stoppage to run commercials. I get peoples frustration having to wait a few minutes for the process, but personally I would rather "waste" those 2 minutes of my life, than hours discussing all the bad/missed calls that could have been corrected.

Ever since they switched to the Art McNally GameDay Central in New York to make the calls, I think they have done a good job at speeding things up AND being more accurate.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/inside-nfl-gameday-central/

I would be fine with keeping the same system in place, but allow a coach to use one of his challenges on other controversial calls (pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) and by all means do away with the rule that if your challenge is a correct one, you are still penalized with a reduced # of challenges available.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts