2017 NFL Free Agent wishlist

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That depends on if Thompson is still the team's general manager.

You're much more optimistic than I am. I have a bad feeling that nothing changes this offseason. McCarthy is still going to be calling plays, Thompson will still be the GM, and the status quo will be maintained. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

Reaction score
TT had better use FA this year if he knows what's good for his and this teams immediate future. Considering the number of priority positions we already need filled and the number of player contracts expiring? FA is a must

PS. In hindsight, TT made a big mistake letting Casey Hayward go for what we know now would've taken around 4.5-4.75 million per year for a 4 year deal, he's been one of the primary reasons the Texans are losing right now.

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
PS. In hindsight, TT made a big mistake letting Casey Hayward go for what we know now would've taken around 4.5-4.75 million per year for a 4 year deal, he's been one of the primary reasons the Texans are losing right now.

This made me look up Hayward's stats for the season:
48 tackles, 16 passes defended and 6 interceptions, 1 TD

Only 3 Packer Defensive players have more tackles and has 1 fewer interceptions than the entire Packers defense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of speculating about players it makes more sense to speculate about positions. If TT is still GM then nothing happens because he won't be working during free agency, but if the Packers get a new GM then they should go after a CB. Going after veteran CB's helped both NE and Denver win Super Bowls the last 2 seasons. The problem with drafting corners is that even the good ones take a couple of years to mature. The Packers need to go after a CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

This made me look up Hayward's stats for the season:
48 tackles, 16 passes defended and 6 interceptions, 1 TD

Only 3 Packer Defensive players have more tackles and has 1 fewer interceptions than the entire Packers defense.

To be fair nearly everybody following the Packers was in agreement with letting Hayward walk away in free agency. In addition with him being primarily a slot cornerback I'm not convinced he woukd have presented a much needed upgrade on the perimeter.

The problem with drafting corners is that even the good ones take a couple of years to mature. The Packers need to go after a CB.

I'm not opposed to signing a #1 cornerback in free agency but it has happened before that a rookie CB has immediately had a huge impact. With the Packers possibly drafting early in the first round next year they might select a pro ready player at the position.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
My wish list free agency plan in order of importance:

1. Cut Shields- save 9 million in cap space
2. Restructure CM3 or trade away- save 11 million in cap space or whatever the restructure solves
3. Sign any decent CB- 3 year 21 million/year type of contract
4. Sign Geronimo Allison- 2 year 3 million total (his off field issues could pose a problem)
5. Sign Jared Cook- 2 year 8 million total
6. Sign Nick Perry- 4 year, 36 million total
7. Sign Micah Hyde- 3 year, 11 million total
8. Sign Lacy to a 1 year, cheap prove it deal worth 2 million
9. Cut Starks
10. Work out a deal for Tretter or Lang thats lower than it should be based on injuries

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2. Restructure CM3 or trade away- save 11 million in cap space or whatever the restructure solves
4. Sign Geronimo Allison- 2 year 3 million total (his off field issues could pose a problem)
9. Cut Shields
10. Work out a deal for Tretter or Lang thats lower than it should be based on injuries
I love all of this

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

9. Cut Starks

More or less my thoughts as well. According to Spotrac, Perry's market value is a bit less than that. We'll see what kind of numbers he has thrown at him. Lacy's market value is closer to 5 million. I don't think we'd pay him that for more than 1 year, but I also think he'll see much better offers elsewhere than 1 year/ 2 million.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields retiring is better than cutting him. We really need to consider a new defensive scheme. We are rocking a 3-4 with the wrong personnel. Our 2 MLB's are average at best. Restructure CM and use him in the middle. We have some young OLB talent (drafting one high though is even better). Our DL is decent, but being played incorrectly. Having Peppers and/or Jones playing OLB was a mistake from the beginning. They are too big to be OLB's so putting Jones back as DE is smarter.

Getting a #1 CB is a priority obviously as well... the defense needs to get faster at this point.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I what way is the personnel on the Packers better suited to 4-3 than 3-4? And to what extent does it matter, given that they and most of the league are in sub packages the majority of the time?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So about 10 hours into my 12 hour work shift I began thinking to myself of some free agents out there I wouldn't mind Green Bay picking up. Now regardless if TT is back next year or not, I believe this coming off-season will be the year they go into some unknown territory and seriously shop for some players due to their less the stellar 2016 campaign.

If this were the case then who would you like the Packers to pick up? Who out there do you think would contribute the most to improve this team to insure 2017 does not turn into another 2016?

One player I wouldn't mind the Packers looking at is CB Prince Amukamara. He is currently on a one year deal worth 5.5 mil with Jacksonville and will be 28 at the start of next season . Depending on what happens with Shields come seasons end he could be a good investment, especially if they don't want to go secondary with their first round draft pick.

Logan Ryan might be an option, and likely a bit cheaper. He's 25......

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our scheme is broken... we rush 3-4 players and get no pressure expecting our cover CB's (who cant cover well) to be able to stop the pass. I remember seeing at least once we rushed 2 and tried to stop the pass (and couldn't). I'm just saying you can't have 285 lbs DE's converted into pass coverage when we get little pressure. Our LB's are slow as well meaning we need to get to the QB instead of expecting our DB's and our LB's to cover anyone.

Look at what affected AR earlier in the year. Full bump and run at the line of scrimmage and rush hard to make the QB throw the quicker than wanted. We don't have the personnel for that, but it should be since obviously having our DB's watch pass after pass being caught because we can't cover and/or rush the QB. Our DB's without Shields really need to be looked at and what can help. Guarding a WR for 2-3 seconds is way better than watching them torch those DB's after 4-5 secs.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Logan Ryan might be an option, and likely a bit cheaper. He's 25......
Logan Ryan is a soft coverage CB. Pay attention to him in the Super Bowl. Sanu/Gabriel will be wide open the entire game. He is really no better than any of the 3 shmucks we have going now. The Patriots will retain him because they know he is of low-value anywhere else.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if someone wants lacy for 5 million per, take him. I want none of that and I liked the guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lacy's market value is closer to 5 million. I don't think we'd pay him that for more than 1 year, but I also think he'll see much better offers elsewhere than 1 year/ 2 million.

While you may be right, the only way I see Lacy being worth that kind of money is if he actually earns it. Which means signing him only to an incentive laden contract. In today's market, I doubt that happens, but I wouldn't want him back unless the money wasn't guaranteed and was mainly based around his performance and ability to stay in shape.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you may be right, the only way I see Lacy being worth that kind of money is if he actually earns it. Which means signing him only to an incentive laden contract. In today's market, I doubt that happens, but I wouldn't want him back unless the money wasn't guaranteed and was mainly based around his performance and ability to stay in shape.

Yeh, I agree that an incentive laden deal would be almost a must. I just don't know where the heck this guy's head is at. I can't even guess. I wonder if he'd even be willing to or confident enough in himself to take a "prove it" type of deal. I kind of think he wouldn't and would just go wherever he could get the most guaranteed. I hope I'm wrong and that he really does want to work hard and prove himself, but I just don't see that in him right now. Why you have to be such a slug, Ed!?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeh, I agree that an incentive laden deal would be almost a must. I just don't know where the heck this guy's head is at. I can't even guess. I wonder if he'd even be willing to or confident enough in himself to take a "prove it" type of deal. I kind of think he wouldn't and would just go wherever he could get the most guaranteed. I hope I'm wrong and that he really does want to work hard and prove himself, but I just don't see that in him right now. Why you have to be such a slug, Ed!?

Lacy was basically on a "prove it deal" this year. While he did go get in shape with Tony Horton and he was having a decent season prior to his injury, it appeared his conditioning had slipped and the weight was back on, which may have contributed to his injury.

Lacy being back in GB will depend on several things:

1. His off season conditioning
2. Other contract offers
3. Willingness to play for incentives
4. Packers overall opinion and outlook of him
5. Packers needs. Is Monty their guy? Can they find someone else in the draft or through FA?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would think that Montgomery showed enough that, along with this excellent class of RB's in the draft (and the fact that RB's routinely contribute immediately), there will be no reason to retain Lacy. The guy cares more about food than football, and I'm convinced that the weight is a huge contributor to the lack of durability. I would just move on.

It's too bad Christine Michael is a free agent. It would be nice if he was still under contract so they could emphatically cut him. Just letting him walk is so dissatisfying.

Members online

Latest posts