2017 NFL Free Agent wishlist

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So about 10 hours into my 12 hour work shift I began thinking to myself of some free agents out there I wouldn't mind Green Bay picking up. Now regardless if TT is back next year or not, I believe this coming off-season will be the year they go into some unknown territory and seriously shop for some players due to their less the stellar 2016 campaign.

If this were the case then who would you like the Packers to pick up? Who out there do you think would contribute the most to improve this team to insure 2017 does not turn into another 2016?

One player I wouldn't mind the Packers looking at is CB Prince Amukamara. He is currently on a one year deal worth 5.5 mil with Jacksonville and will be 28 at the start of next season . Depending on what happens with Shields come seasons end he could be a good investment, especially if they don't want to go secondary with their first round draft pick.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem with a thread like this, even more so than a draft thread, is that we really have no idea who the free agents are going to be. A number of players with contracts that expire this year will be re-signed and off the market.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To really get an idea of what free agents TT is going to target you need to go to a thorough draft website. When it shows the projected round what you want to do is look for the dash mark in that column which means they are not expected to be drafted.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Took me a couple of reads to get your point, which is probably right on. However, I assume the point of this thread is identifying UFA players, not UDFAs. Without a smiley or explanatory comment, I wasn't sure about yours.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To really get an idea of what free agents TT is going to target you need to go to a thorough draft website. When it shows the projected round what you want to do is look for the dash mark in that column which means they are not expected to be drafted.

Three thingss don't go together in that statement. TT, Free Agents, Target

If TT is still at the controls come the Free Agency Period, do you really think he is going to change his spots? Sure, he might pick over the scrap heap a month later, and grab a player like Cook, but I just don't see him targeting any FA's that will have a big impact.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong organization to discuss Free Agency with. Now the draft? Sure, LOL.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really don't expect him to do much in free agency. Every year there's a thread stating that this HAS to be the year Ted gets active in free agency, and he never does. He never will.

I could see him going after some street guys like Cook after a few weeks, but i doubt he does much in the first week.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think with decisions looming considering the Packers front office it's way too early to talk about next year's free agent class.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really don't expect him to do much in free agency. Every year there's a thread stating that this HAS to be the year Ted gets active in free agency, and he never does. He never will.

I could see him going after some street guys like Cook after a few weeks, but i doubt he does much in the first week.

Than your fire TT and make Wolf GM. If Elliott is at risk of leaving, you don't let a fish like that go.

Obviously this won't happen. .but still...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think with decisions looming considering the Packers front office it's way too early to talk about next year's free agent class.

Agreed.

Never too early to talk about our own pending free agents though? :D Not sure if a thread has already been started?

Julius Peppers OLB 36 - $8,666,667
T.J. Lang G 29 GB - $5,200,000
Nick Perry OLB 26 - $5,050,000
Jared Cook TE 29 GB - $2,750,000
Datone Jones OLB 26 - $1,929,147
Brett Goode LS 32 - $885,000
Eddie Lacy RB 25 - $848,103
Christine Michael RB 26 - $725,000
Don Barclay RT 27 - $700,000
J.C. Tretter C 25 - $643,977
Micah Hyde SS 25 - $584,527

In order of priority for me:

Lang, Tretter, Cook, Perry, Jones......beyond those 5 guys, let the chips fall as they may.

Sky King

Reaction score
Injuries have not only hurt the team's chances this season but they may also have hurt some of those injured players (pending free agents) from getting top dollar, too. In a left-handed way that could benefit the Packers if they are able to retain some experienced players at a lower cost rather than to risk solving every weakness by rolling the dice with the draft. Plus, adding even more weaknesses (by not selectively re-signing their own serviceable free agents) will only help to make matters worse.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not pretend like this is the year that the Packers finally decide to sign free agents. It would be amazing if the Packers signed a solid tight end and cornerback, but nobody should pretend that Richard Rogers won't be running slow, short routes next year and receivers won't be running past LaDarious Gunter. I hate to say it, but Sam Shields should be an immediate cut. He's barely played the last two seasons and has proven that he can't stay on the field.

Packers should resign the following players:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three thingss don't go together in that statement. TT, Free Agents, Target

If TT is still at the controls come the Free Agency Period, do you really think he is going to change his spots? Sure, he might pick over the scrap heap a month later, and grab a player like Cook, but I just don't see him targeting any FA's that will have a big impact.
I agree, however, I think that a cornerback with a similar ability to the impact that Cook has shown he has the potential to provide on the offense might actually have made quite a difference in the secondary this year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

Never too early to talk about our own pending free agents though? :D Not sure if a thread has already been started?

Julius Peppers OLB 36 - $8,666,667
T.J. Lang G 29 GB - $5,200,000
Nick Perry OLB 26 - $5,050,000
Jared Cook TE 29 GB - $2,750,000
Datone Jones OLB 26 - $1,929,147
Brett Goode LS 32 - $885,000
Eddie Lacy RB 25 - $848,103
Christine Michael RB 26 - $725,000
Don Barclay RT 27 - $700,000
J.C. Tretter C 25 - $643,977
Micah Hyde SS 25 - $584,527

In order of priority for me:

Lang, Tretter, Cook, Perry, Jones......beyond those 5 guys, let the chips fall as they may.
hmmm maybe you should move Barclay to the top of that list... move him to left tackle, and give him top 5 money... maybe that will finally convince Murphy to move on from Ted lol.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any was Shields is back next year. In fact, I'd put money he's going to retire due to health reasons. A concussion shouldn't keep you out an entire season. As I've said in another thread, I would love if they drafted Jabrill Peppers if they get a high enough draft pick, which would mean they would have to lose at least four games the rest of the season. Probably even five.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Injuries have not only hurt the team's chances this season but they may also have hurt some of those injured players (pending free agents) from getting top dollar, too. In a left-handed way that could benefit the Packers if they are able to retain some experienced players at a lower cost rather than to risk solving every weakness by rolling the dice with the draft.

Well, Cook is the only pending free agent that missed several games though.

Packers should resign the following players:

Tretter will most likely get offered starter money from another team most likely resulting in him walking away as the Packers have Linsley on a cheap rookie contract for another season. There's no reason to be concerned about a long snapper at all.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter will most likely get offered starter money from another team most likely resulting in him walking away as the Packers have Linsley on a cheap rookie contract for another season. There's no reason to be concerned about a long snapper at all.

I'm looking forward to see what kind of money Tretter gets offered since he started 10 games over four seasons.

I wouldn't say there is concern about long snapper. I just think that Goode is worth $770k.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't say there is concern about long snapper. I just think that Goode is worth $770k.

The Packers would have to offer Goode $900K to return next season but because of the veteran minimum benefit he would only count $615K against the cap. I would be fine with re-signing him but with several other holes to fill it's for sure not a priority.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have to offer Goode $900K to return next season but because of the veteran minimum benefit he would only count $615K against the cap. I would be fine with re-signing him but with several other holes to fill it's for sure not a priority.

Its not a priority but its one of those things you can get done and not have to worry about it any more. Whoever the LS is going to be his salary is going to be an insignificant part of the cap. You might as well offer him a million or whatever it will likely take to lock him up and its done. Otherwise you figure its not a priority and you leave him hanging and all of a sudden someone else moves in and he is gone and now it is a priority because you don't have one. Not that long snapper is a priority position but if you can lock up a very goode one why not do it and not have to worry. Its not like when its all over you are going to be saying "gee I wish we had whatever we paid to Brett Goode so we could have signed someone else"

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you pretending that this is the year that the Packers plug holes with free-agents?

Members online

Latest posts