2016 Jordy is Back, will the rest step up?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
BUT, if the other stuff gets fixed, and I think it will, there are a lot of uses for a TE like RR in this offense. I think if a athletic TE is available where we draft or for the right cost in FA, get him, but if we don't get an immediate starter, we can fix some other things and still be ok.
True, the Packers had the number one scoring offense in 2014 with Quarless catching 29 passes in the regular season and RRodgers catching 20. But while I think the return of Nelson will cure a lot, I do think defenses will continue to play the Packers more as they did this season, rather than how they did in 2014. IOW, attacking the middle of the field as McCarthy said will be important.

RRodgers’ lack of speed in the passing game would be a lot easier to accept if he were even an average blocking TE. It’s OK if they don’t have an elite TE who excels in the passing and running game. But RRodgers doesn’t really excel in either as a starting TE. Here are the TEs currently under contract for 2016: RRodgers, Justin Perillo, Kennard Backman, and Henry Mitchell. (Quarless is a free agent.) I don’t think counting solely on the improvement of this group is a good plan.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone know who the he*l this guy is?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, the Packers had the number one scoring offense in 2014 with Quarless catching 29 passes in the regular season and RRodgers catching 20. But while I think the return of Nelson will cure a lot, I do think defenses will continue to play the Packers more as they did this season, rather than how they did in 2014. IOW, attacking the middle of the field as McCarthy said will be important.

RRodgers’ lack of speed in the passing game would be a lot easier to accept if he were even an average blocking TE. It’s OK if they don’t have an elite TE who excels in the passing and running game. But RRodgers doesn’t really excel in either as a starting TE. Here are the TEs currently under contract for 2016: RRodgers, Justin Perillo, Kennard Backman, and Henry Mitchell. (Quarless is a free agent.) I don’t think counting solely on the improvement of this group is a good plan.
It's not my plan, but if all that's available to us other than spending a boat load of cash for a marginally better TE, I'm ok moving forward. I think they can make it work and I don't think teams will be able to play us the same in 2016 as they did in 2015. Unless of course Jordy and Montgomery go down and everyone else fails to make plays that are there to be made. For as much as we struggled, we were our own worst enemy last year with drops, missed passes and penalties. a few made plays starts to open things up and they were there to be made.

My hope is we can get a more athletic TE for a decent price in FA

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense has more problems than just Nelson being out. The O-line was terrible this year, and what is to be done with Lacy? Dude needs a serious workout regime to lose weight and get faster...he has become such a porker, I doubt he could even run 100 yards...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense has more problems than just Nelson being out. The O-line was terrible this year, and what is to be done with Lacy? Dude needs a serious workout regime to lose weight and get faster...he has become such a porker, I doubt he could even run 100 yards...
no argument from me, I said there were problems with everyone from Oline to QB and everyone else on that side of the ball at various points all year long. I think our Oline has been overrated for a number of years. They put it together for a while 2 seasons ago now and for stretches last year, but last year is hard to judge from so many injuries and flux from week to week in everything on the offense. Not just Oline positions, but everything seemed to be in flux last year.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally someone
no argument from me, I said there were problems with everyone from Oline to QB and everyone else on that side of the ball at various points all year long. I think our Oline has been overrated for a number of years. They put it together for a while 2 seasons ago now and for stretches last year, but last year is hard to judge from so many injuries and flux from week to week in everything on the offense. Not just Oline positions, but everything seemed to be in flux last year.
besides me that thinks the oline has been overrated...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big Richard rodgers fan. But anyone know why he seemed to get slower from year 1 to year 2?
Just a guess, he put on poor weight to help in blocking and rather than helping, he lost any first step quickness he had and it hurt in the passing game and running game. Probably why he was in the same group as Lacy and basically told he needed to have a better offseason and do the things necessary to get better.

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe someone else has posted this already, but there seems to be this on going feeling of "When Jordy gets back in the line-up in 2016, all will be "back to normal" for the offense." I still have a lot of questions.

Will Jordy comes back the same as he was before the injury and a year and 1/2 older?

Will he stay healthy, what if he doesn't?

Will Rodgers return to his pre-2015 confident self with his favorite receiver back?

Will just getting Jordy back distract the opposing defenses enough that the other Packer WR's play better?

Do the Packers need to add another WR to compliment Jordy and Cobb?

Is Van Pelt the right guy to be coaching the WR's?

I know a lot of this has been covered in bits and pieces throughout threads, but the underlying principle of "the loss of Jordy was one of the big factors in the 2015 offense struggles" has been prevalent all year. I'm just wondering if people think his return will be enough to vault this offense back to what it used to be?

What worries me is we are one Jordy injury away from the same mess we experienced this season. We need some insurance in case Jordy falls again. I am hoping Cory Coleman falls to us in the first round.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is we are one Jordy injury away from the same mess we experienced this season. We need some insurance in case Jordy falls again. I am hoping Cory Coleman falls to us in the first round.

I agree. Adams has to really step up or we have to add another wr. Jordy isnt young and who knows what he'll be after an acl or for how long

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yup, which is my feeling as well. However, you can say the same thing about AR going down. But IMO, now that TT has seen what can happen with the loss of Jordy, he can better and more easily prepare for that contingency, much easier then losing AR. Who would have thunk, that losing your #1 WR could impact the Packer offenses as much as it appears losing Jordy did?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it wasn't just Jordy. There's a lot that used to work well with the same people that suddenly wasn't. Rodgers missed on more passes this year than he has in his career, by a lot. Receivers were dropping big plays. Maybe we didn't lead the league in drops, but they always seemed to be what would have been a 1st down or TD. Big drops at bad times plagued us. Starks developed a fumbling problem, Lacy apparently got lazy. There were a lot of plays left on the field and had they made some, they would have made it easier on themselves overall. It's not like we're asking them to be something they haven't been for a quite a while. i think they'll get it figured out and next year will present its own challenges. Jordy was a big loss, but there were plays to be made that weren't. that doesn't even take into account early and sloppy oline play and penalties that seem to always be an issue early, but generally work themselves out during the season. This year we seemed to have bad penalties at bad times. Cobbs catch that took him out of the playoffs for example.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The offensive woes were definitely not all due to the loss of Jordy, but...IMO it was a key factor. Rodgers in effect lost his wing man and when nobody stepped up to take Jordy's place, things unwound for the whole offense. Insert Jordy's #'s and remove James Jone's (since he wouldn't have been a Packer) and I think you get a picture. Also add to that, what the other WR's may have been able to do with more attention from the defense on Jordy. Jordy's ability to get open and catch balls on key plays, was something sorely lacking from the offense, as well as how defenses have to play the Packers.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the oline is overrated. When healthy, this olines grades as one of the best in the league. Healthy is the keyword. While I do think we need to shore up our WR with someone that can fly like Jordy, I'd rather address more pressing issues that are about to arise such as TE, ILB, LT, and defensive positions .

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing another LT and have Bahk as a back-up, which is where we saw the Packers were in poor shape, depth on the O-line. But a lot of what people are complaining about with the O-line happened when 1 or more starters were out or playing injured. Will they all stay healthy in 2016? Doubtful, but probably neither would someone they replace them with. So IMO, when healthy, there isn't a lot to complain about our O-line, besides its depth.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing another LT and have Bahk as a back-up, which is where we saw the Packers were in poor shape, depth on the O-line. But a lot of what people are complaining about with the O-line happened when 1 or more starters were out or playing injured. Will they all stay healthy in 2016? Doubtful, but probably neither would someone they replace them with. So IMO, when healthy, there isn't a lot to complain about our O-line, besides its depth.

Bahk isn't backing up anyone especially after the season he had this year. With this next year being his contract year, him playing at the same level or higher could end up costing us more.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bahk isn't backing up anyone especially after the season he had this year. With this next year being his contract year, him playing at the same level or higher could end up costing us more.

Not really sure what you mean? He isn't good enough to be a back-up? Or you think he had a really good year, should be a starter and will be in line for a big contract?

Personally, I think he is a marginal starting LT. Would prefer to see a better one brought in via FA.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing in a LT via FA isnt happening. Simply too expensive as its one of the most sought after positions.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really sure what you mean? He isn't good enough to be a back-up? Or you think he had a really good year, should be a starter and will be in line for a big contract?

Personally, I think he is a marginal starting LT. Would prefer to see a better one brought in via FA.

Bakthiari was the antithesis of Lacy in 2015. He allowed no sacks in his final 10 games this season (counting playoffs), according to Pro Football Focus. His three sacks allowed in 14 games tied for third fewest in the league among offensive tackles who played at least 75 percent of their team’s snaps. His 33 total pressures allowed tied for tenth.

The Packers drafted Bakhtiari because of his pass blocking. While he’s an average run blocker and needs to clean up some penalty issues, the No. 1 responsibility on the Packers’ offensive line is to keep franchise quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ jersey clean. Bakhtiari has gotten progressively better. He allowed 10 sacks as a rookie, seven last season.

His 8.9 pass-blocking grade ranked eighth among left tackles during the 2015 season.

http://chippewa.com/packers-bakhtia...cle_432152a2-da31-564c-9bee-8e6ce40cd024.html

Like I said, Packers are going to do their damnedest to get an extension done ASAP because if Bahk improve again this upcoming season, he is going to command Top 10 money.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I said, Packers are going to do their damnedest to get an extension done ASAP because if Bahk improve again this upcoming season, he is going to command Top 10 money.

Thanks, I get what you are saying now. I can't see paying Bahk top 20 LT money right now, yet alone top 10. 2016 might be one of those years that TT will sit back and run the risk of Bahk being great and getting more money after a great season, then he deserves right now. Or TT rolls the dice, because he and the coaches are convinced Bahk is the future of the Packers at LT and sign him ahead of his contract to a reasonable amount. I hope he turns into a GREAT LT, I just don't see it yet.

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS ranks Hunter Henry going as the number 34th pick. If we spent our number 27th pick on a WR as Jordy insurance, is it in the realm of possibility to trade up to draft Hunter as our second pick? I haven't watched or followed many drafts so I am ignorant on trading picks etc., etc.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS ranks Hunter Henry going as the number 34th pick. If we spent our number 27th pick on a WR as Jordy insurance, is it in the realm of possibility to trade up to draft Hunter as our second pick? I haven't watched or followed many drafts so I am ignorant on trading picks etc., etc.

Not unless Packers give up something of value to move up that far in the first rounds. Also, TT isn't going to use his 1st round pick on a position he could get good value from in the 4th or 5th. 1st round will either be TE, ILB, or BPA (barring WR).

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not unless Packers give up something of value to move up that far in the first rounds. Also, TT isn't going to use his 1st round pick on a position he could get good value from in the 4th or 5th. 1st round will either be TE, ILB, or BPA (barring WR).

How about for two Scoobie snacks? Jenkies.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts