2016 Jordy is Back, will the rest step up?

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think we need to bring in another WR. Whether via draft or FA.

Never want to jinx ourselves, but honestly do you really think we're going to go through another injury bug the way we did this year? I don't. I believe the Packers staff are going to do a better job with training in order to keep these guys as healthy as they can be throughout the season and that goes for the offense and defense. We don't need another WR when we have such a dearth of WRs that will be healthy and a little wiser than last year. JJ us the only one I see the Packers possibly letting go, but I would love to see him stay for a deal like with Kuhn. A TE is a MUST however.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Never want to jinx ourselves, but honestly do you really think we're going to go through another injury bug the way we did this year? I don't.

I would hope not, but with Jones and Janis being the only 2 WR's that didn't miss some time due to injuries, I don't think it was just "bad luck." Hate to say it, but probably pretty normal compared to the rest of the league. I don't really keep track of other teams, but both the Patriots and the Giants come to mind when it comes to injuries to their WR's. Just the nature of the game. No matter what, we definitely need to be prepared for it and hope to get better production out of guys, when they are healthy, then what we saw this year.

One thing that bothered me was being down to 4 healthy WR's for the AZ playoff game. 4! Then Cobb goes down, leaving 3. Isn't the whole idea of the PS is to have guys ready to be called up at a moments notice?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never want to jinx ourselves, but honestly do you really think we're going to go through another injury bug the way we did this year? I don't. I believe the Packers staff are going to do a better job with training in order to keep these guys as healthy as they can be throughout the season and that goes for the offense and defense. We don't need another WR when we have such a dearth of WRs that will be healthy and a little wiser than last year. JJ us the only one I see the Packers possibly letting go, but I would love to see him stay for a deal like with Kuhn. A TE is a MUST however.

What WR is capable of playing across from Jordy? Adams hasn't shown me anything yet besides inconsistency, bad route running and dropping balls. Janis hasn't broken the lineup yet and only time he has, is due to injuries. Janis seems to have a hard time learning the playbook and getting on the same page with Rodgers. Abbrederis is a slot WR, not a boundary WR. Ditto for Cobb. James Jones has lost a step. Hes not the explosive guy we need across from Jordy. God forbid Jordy hasn't lost a step now due to his injury. Plus hes 31. He'll be 32 mid season in 2016?

Monty is a wildcard. But again, we were using him like a swiss army knife lining him up all over the field. I do wonder if he can play the boundary though because that's where we need him.

Our WR situation isn't all peachy and rosy that some tend to think it is. I very much think we need to bring in a WR whether in FA or the draft. None of the guys that we have currently besides Jordy can "go and get the ball" - They all have to have the ball thrown to them almost perfectly. We need another WR with a huge catch radius who can make plays.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good - even great - players don’t always make even good coaches: What makes anyone think Jones would (1) want to be a position coach and (2) be any good at it? The Packers have their WR coach in house – McCarthy just needs to wake up and realize it. It’s as easy as this: Edgar Bennett - Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers. Just like: Winston Moss - Associate Head Coach/Linebackers. Of course it'd be great if the Packers acquired a #1 WR in waiting. And there may be a WR in the first or second round too good to pass up (in Thompson and staff's opinion). But as others have posted, that's a luxury at this point. One way (frequently the only way) Thompson shows urgency is to draft for need (2015's first two picks replacing Tramon and House the most recent, but hardly the only examples). If Thompson filled two needs via UFA - for example signing a TE and a vet OT - I'd be fine with him drafting a WR (and ILB) early. Or signed an UFA ILB and vet OT, etc. But if he's going to count exclusively on the draft, an early WR will likely mean counting upon improvements of players on the rosters and IMO that's unlikely to work regarding TE, ILB, and OT.

I think it depends upon the talent available. If the Packers think that the best player at the end of round 1 is a receiver then perhaps they should take a wide receiver. Consider the thread title, Jordy Nelson was drafted despite Receiver being the most loaded position on the team in that time and despite a need at other positions. We needed a pass rusher, we needed help at OT and CB and could have used a quality running back but Ted Thompson thought Jordy Nelson was the best value available after trading down and took him. Getting another Jordy Nelson type would help us in the mean time and into the future. Drafting a John Michaels or a Derek Sherrod or a Nick Perry will not.

The Packers currently have pressing needs at ILB and TE and desperately need depth on the OL. Depending on what happens between now and the draft the DL and OLB could become primary needs as well. While another #1 WR would be awesome there are other positions that have to be addressed first.

I would say hopefully will be addressed first. It would be great to get a quality ILB and a quality TE. But a good wide receiver would help the team more than lousy players at the TE or ILB spots. Jordy Nelson helped us more than say drafting Phil Merling.

EDIT: It's worth noting that Thompson analysis on Perry wasn't off. When healthy he has been exactly the player we have drafted, he's a load setting the edge, he's a brutish bull rusher who can also get low and fast around the corner. It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they need to add receivers, unless they can find a good value on a future Jordy. I'm not thrilled with the group, but it's more than sufficient. They do need a TE, to make catches in the middle just as McCarthy said. Rodgers looked quicker in college, so maybe some weight loss would do him well. I'd like to see a new member added to the group, though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rapport reported today on Twitter that the Packers want Eddie Lacy to lose 30 lbs. this offseason. An in-shape Lacy will help the run game and take pressure off of Rodgers and the pass game. I would also like to see the Packers add or develop a "middle of the field" threat. The Packers didn't threaten the middle of the field at all last season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rapport reported today on Twitter that the Packers want Eddie Lacy to lose 30 lbs. this offseason. An in-shape Lacy will help the run game and take pressure off of Rodgers and the pass game. I would also like to see the Packers add or develop a "middle of the field" threat. The Packers didn't threaten the middle of the field at all last season.

Are you referring to the deep middle or the seam?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EDIT: It's worth noting that Thompson analysis on Perry wasn't off. When healthy he has been exactly the player we have drafted, he's a load setting the edge, he's a brutish bull rusher who can also get low and fast around the corner. It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy.

The same Nick Perry who's a rotational player with Mike Neal? The same Nick Perry who didn't have his fifth-year option picked up? He'd be a steal if he was a 3rd round pick. Super disappointing as a 1st round pick.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What WR is capable of playing across from Jordy? Adams hasn't shown me anything yet besides inconsistency, bad route running and dropping balls. Janis hasn't broken the lineup yet and only time he has, is due to injuries. Janis seems to have a hard time learning the playbook and getting on the same page with Rodgers. Abbrederis is a slot WR, not a boundary WR. Ditto for Cobb. James Jones has lost a step. Hes not the explosive guy we need across from Jordy. God forbid Jordy hasn't lost a step now due to his injury. Plus hes 31. He'll be 32 mid season in 2016?

Monty is a wildcard. But again, we were using him like a swiss army knife lining him up all over the field. I do wonder if he can play the boundary though because that's where we need him.

Our WR situation isn't all peachy and rosy that some tend to think it is. I very much think we need to bring in a WR whether in FA or the draft. None of the guys that we have currently besides Jordy can "go and get the ball" - They all have to have the ball thrown to them almost perfectly. We need another WR with a huge catch radius who can make plays.

You are playing with a whole bunch of what ifs and assumptions though. Adams suffered his slump because he was put into a role before he was ready for it and his play showed. Janis showed flashes during the AZ game. Abby and Cobb are slot receivers with Cobb still one of the best in the NFL. Just because he had a bad season with injuries and increased pressure from defenses doesn't stop that. JJ isn't as fast, but he makes up for it with his prowess and intelligence. Monty indeed is the wildcard. He was tearing it up before his own injury. I think you and the people screaming for a new WR are hypochondriacs and wanting something that we honestly have an abundance of. The WR corps catching the injury bug is unfortunate, but it happens. I'd love to see your comments and comments from others when this offense gets back to putting up monster numbers without a new stud WR.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Getting another Jordy Nelson type would help us in the mean time and into the future. Drafting a John Michaels or a Derek Sherrod or a Nick Perry will not.
Of course, it’s axiomatic that drafting a good/great player at a position of lesser or even little need is better than drafting a poor or disappointing one at a position of greater need, isn't it? And if there’s a player clearly from a higher talent tier at #27, Thompson will “have” to take him or get a good deal to trade down. (BTW, in the 2008 draft if WR were a higher priority, IMO Thompson likely would have taken Nelson at 30 and not traded down 6 spots risking losing him. But of course there’s no way to know.)

My point is if Thompson is limiting himself to the draft, he’ll only have a couple of picks that can be expected to contribute right away and the obvious holes that need to be filled aren’t at WR or CB for that matter. What this discussion emphasizes IMO is the need for Thompson to use free agency to fill a couple immediate needs – preferably ILB and TE if he can. Then if a WR is the best value on the board it’d be an easy pick.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same Nick Perry who's a rotational player with Mike Neal? The same Nick Perry who didn't have his fifth-year option picked up? He'd be a steal if he was a 3rd round pick. Super disappointing as a 1st round pick.

He was an injury riddled disappointment. But if you don't think that he was a force for those few games he was healthy then you havent been watching the games. Six sacks in 5 playoff games, that's elite level production. Is he worth keeping, if he can be had cheaply enough. He's a significant talent when healthy, it's just that he's rarely healthy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, it’s axiomatic that drafting a good/great player at a position of lesser or even little need is better than drafting a poor or disappointing one at a position of greater need, isn't it? And if there’s a player clearly from a higher talent tier at #27, Thompson will “have” to take him or get a good deal to trade down. (BTW, in the 2008 draft if WR were a higher priority, IMO Thompson likely would have taken Nelson at 30 and not traded down 6 spots risking losing him. But of course there’s no way to know.)

My point is if Thompson is limiting himself to the draft, he’ll only have a couple of picks that can be expected to contribute right away and the obvious holes that need to be filled aren’t at WR or CB for that matter. What this discussion emphasizes IMO is the need for Thompson to use free agency to fill a couple immediate needs – preferably ILB and TE if he can. Then if a WR is the best value on the board it’d be an easy pick.

I hope he atleast considers adding a journeyman level talent or better in FA, would give him more flexibility in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would hope not, but with Jones and Janis being the only 2 WR's that didn't miss some time due to injuries, I don't think it was just "bad luck." Hate to say it, but probably pretty normal compared to the rest of the league. I don't really keep track of other teams, but both the Patriots and the Giants come to mind when it comes to injuries to their WR's. Just the nature of the game. No matter what, we definitely need to be prepared for it and hope to get better production out of guys, when they are healthy, then what we saw this year.

One thing that bothered me was being down to 4 healthy WR's for the AZ playoff game. 4! Then Cobb goes down, leaving 3. Isn't the whole idea of the PS is to have guys ready to be called up at a moments notice?

The Packers most likely won´t be able to carry more than six receivers on the roster during the season so I don´t think there´s anything they could do to be better prepared for a rash of injuries at the position again next season. I was surprised as well that Thompson didn´t promote one of the receivers on the practice squad before the playoff game at Arizona but it seems they didn´t trust Williams or Johnson to get the job done.

I understand your concerns about the other outside receiver opposite Nelson but I haven´t given up on Adams so far. There´s no denying the Packers are deep at slot receiver but lack guys best suited to line up on the perimeter. I wouldn´t mind spending a draft pick on a WR but not an early one as long as positions in dire need of an upgrade are addressed.

I think it depends upon the talent available. If the Packers think that the best player at the end of round 1 is a receiver then perhaps they should take a wide receiver. Consider the thread title, Jordy Nelson was drafted despite Receiver being the most loaded position on the team in that time and despite a need at other positions. We needed a pass rusher, we needed help at OT and CB and could have used a quality running back but Ted Thompson thought Jordy Nelson was the best value available after trading down and took him. Getting another Jordy Nelson type would help us in the mean time and into the future. Drafting a John Michaels or a Derek Sherrod or a Nick Perry will not.

I would say hopefully will be addressed first. It would be great to get a quality ILB and a quality TE. But a good wide receiver would help the team more than lousy players at the TE or ILB spots. Jordy Nelson helped us more than say drafting Phil Merling.

There´s no denying that drafting a good player at a loaded position will end up being a better move than adding a below average player at a position of need. But ideally Thompson finds a way to select an impact player capable of filling a void on the roster.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no denying that drafting a good player at a loaded position will end up being a better move than adding a below average player at a position of need. But ideally Thompson finds a way to select an impact player capable of filling a void on the roster.

But this is where we disagree, I don't see our WR position as loaded, and it certainly isn't as deep as it was back in 08 when we had Greg Jennings and James Jones emerging and Donald Driver was still an effective weapon. The trouble is that we have 3 slot receivers, of Monty Cobb and Abby only Abby looks natural playing outside the hash marks. That leaves us with

1) Jeff Janis who needs to make strides in his route running.

2) An aging slowing James Jones on the outside opposite of Janis.

3) Davante Adams could turn into a very good wide receiver in his own right, but he wilted under the pressure last season. I do find it encouraging that he seemed to bounce back at the end of the season, that shows maturity.

Now Jordy Nelson does have an injury history. He missed about 3 games in 09, struggled with a nagging knee injury in 2010, missed a bunch of time in 2012 and struggled with injuries when he did play and then he missed the entirety of the 2015 season. So if we lose Jordy Nelson for any length of time can rely on a receiver corps of Adams and Janis to handle the boundary work?

D

Deleted member 6794

But this is where we disagree, I don't see our WR position as loaded, and it certainly isn't as deep as it was back in 08 when we had Greg Jennings and James Jones emerging and Donald Driver was still an effective weapon. The trouble is that we have 3 slot receivers, of Monty Cobb and Abby only Abby looks natural playing outside the hash marks. That leaves us with

1) Jeff Janis who needs to make strides in his route running.

2) An aging slowing James Jones on the outside opposite of Janis.

3) Davante Adams could turn into a very good wide receiver in his own right, but he wilted under the pressure last season. I do find it encouraging that he seemed to bounce back at the end of the season, that shows maturity.

Now Jordy Nelson does have an injury history. He missed about 3 games in 09, struggled with a nagging knee injury in 2010, missed a bunch of time in 2012 and struggled with injuries when he did play and then he missed the entirety of the 2015 season. So if we lose Jordy Nelson for any length of time can rely on a receiver corps of Adams and Janis to handle the boundary work?

I agree that in a perfect world it would be great to add another impact receiver best suited to play on the perimeter. But first I would like Thompson to address more pressing needs on the roster with starters at inside linebacker and tight end as well as depth on the offensive line.

In addition it seems like a lot of fans forget how much Nelson means to the passing game. The Packers led the league in scoring with Nelson, Cobb and Adams starting just two years ago with Jarrett Boykin being #4 on the depth chart. Compared to that season the receiving corps is way deeper as of now.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In addition it seems like a lot of fans forget how much Nelson means to the passing game.

Getting Jordy back as well as obtaining a quality TE (FA/Draft) will do a lot to improve the rest of the receiving corps. We just have to rely on Jordy staying healthy. An injury to any other WR is easy to absorb, even Cobb.

With Montgomery, Adams, Abby and Janis, we have a lot of youth and with that comes potential. Toss in a mid round draft pick and UDFA competition, we will be in good shape. Oh and don't forget Mr Hoodie. I hope he is around to compete for a spot against the young guys, JJ can show them just what an "old" vet can still do.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to sign Jermaine Kearse. He'd be a perfect fit across from Jordy. Plus he wont exactly demand top dollar or break the bank. He is the ideal WR we need on our team.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marvin Jones is another WR that would do well across from Jordy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To those wanting a WR...it comes down for me to this: What is the overall need of each position?

I would grade out our current WR's at around a B/B+; definitely some valid concerns past Nelson and Cobb...but also a ton of potential. Sure add some mid-late round pick(s) of you want, never hurts...could be drafting the next DD.

But there are some spots I honestly would rate lower than a D and in need of serious upgrade.

ILB is one. If you remove Clay from the conversation because he belongs more outside than inside (although I love the mobility he's proven and that is deadly) we have ZERO true coverage ILBs. Coverage ILB grade is at BEST a D- and at worst a Z- :D . Sure we got some run stopping ILBs in Barrington and Ryan, but unless Ryan magically blossoms into a different person he'll always cover with his high motor and heart more than skill...and Bradford cannot be expected to do this despite currently his frame and skillset would say he is our only hope. ILB is a real bonafide concern and in my opinion is one of only 2 extremely weak, like not even passing, like sad.

The other to me is TE. Now like ILB, we have an average guy or a guy who does some aspects just fine. RR while slow and a still rough route runner...he does seem to have gelled with AR which is valuable, and he's shown promising hands and the ability to read soft spots and trudge over to them and turn. At times his non-threat treatment from the Defense is why AR loves him. However, we have ZERO TEs on the roster that are seam stretcher or a true offensive weapon that has to be given even a thought by opposing defenses. We don't need an elite guy (Gronk/Olsen and a few others) we just need a capable guy with above average speed for a TE, above average size and above average route running. It is an aspect of the passing game we simply don't have and honestly is why Kuhn in the backfield is worth more than a TE on the line. I rate the TE position at a D to D+ for this team.

To me you can argue other positions and so forth but these are the only two in my opinion with sub C- ratings AND no future promise with youngsters in the waiting. To overlook these two spots in the off season shows a true lack of NFL intelligence and the cost in my opinion is too great to worry elsewhere (unless some resignings don't happen) before filling these voids.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think a really good TE would help a lot in our passing attack and open up other things. But is there a TE out there that can come in and make that kind of difference? (In FA or draft)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think a really good TE would help a lot in our passing attack and open up other things. But is there a TE out there that can come in and make that kind of difference? (In FA or draft)

In my opinion Henry from ARK could come in and make the impact we need. Again we don't need a guy lighting up the league...we just need a guy that actually forces a team to cover him and not leave him unprotected like they can do with RR so much due to his "lack of fleetness".

However....with OJ not entering the draft Henry now may be just out of reach at our 1st round spot.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts