2016 Cut-downs

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fine.

So would you describe bakh's performance as acceptable and worthy of top 12 LT money? Say top 12 because it's been reported he's probably gunning for top 10, and I'm losing a bit of wiggle room.

I think the guy sucks. He's a liability on the majority of plays and the sight of him makes me cringe.

No.I wouldn't say he's worth that kind of money. I'm on record of saying that repeatedly. That still doesn't mean he's horrible

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't lose when I actually watch the guy and see him get pushed around like a girl. That means a lot more to me than some "expert's" percentage grade.

There is belligerent and then there is obtuse then there is dense then there is blind then there is bellitusblindense. I will give you 1 guess as to which you are, I will give you a hint, I can make things up and consider them factual too.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton is a Bear. Weird. This move makes zero sense for them but.....i have always thought pace is in over his head and just makes moves to make moves.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton is a Bear. Weird. This move makes zero sense for them but.....i have always thought pace is in over his head and just makes moves to make moves.
Just gonna give cutler a few more seconds to throw into double coverage instead of getting a sack fumble.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton signs 3 yr 21mil contract with the Bears... Thoughts?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have any reason why he was cut besides cap?

People are speculating misconduct played a part. Have to imagine that if true, it will come out, but Packers won't come out and give the reason no matter what it was. They just don't conduct business in a public way.

Curious that the only o-lineman that tweeted anything is Lang that I saw.

D

Deleted member 6794

When the bears sign him to a 1 yr 6 million$ contract then I will question why TT didn't get anything.

The Bears signed him to a three year, $21.5 million deal with $10 million guaranteed. That makes it extremely hard to understand why Thompson wasn't able to get anything in return for him.

Then Sitton becomes a Goodson-like situation...there is little advantage to cutting him before they did. In fact the only advantage would have been avoiding $300,000 roster bonus dead cap hit, a small price to pay if it turned out they were not happy with Taylor as they worked through camp or if Taylor had been injured.

The main advantage of cutting or trading Sitton earlier would have been the starting offensive line being able to practice together for more than week and develop some chemistry.

You can only roll over 10 mil correct? I think they are 16 mil under now. Can he use that to front someone on an extension?

Teams are allowed to roll over all cap space not used the previous season. For example the Jaguars gained an additional $32 million of cap space for this season that way.

I have never heard the 10m part. I'd thought it was up to 10%, seeing as how the new CBA requires spending 90% from what I recall.

Teams have to spend 89% in cash of the league's total salary cap over a four year period. During the current period, which runs from 2013-16, the Packers as of right now have spent 109.2%. Therefore the team won't have any trouble meeting that criteria.

Minus the half million or so the now #53 man on the roster costs. Actually have to check the lowest paid OL which is probably Murphy. Plus the salary cap hit for having an extra OL on the PS that may not have been needed otherwise.

The Packers saved $6.1 million of cap space by releasing Sitton as the lowest paid player on the roster earns $450K. The team would have still signed 10 players to the practice squad so there's no additional cap space used there because of the move.

He looked lean and mean this camp. Looked like he was quick to reads this preseason. Not sure who starts at ILB now

I guess Ryan and Martinez will start at inside linebacker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have any reason why he was cut besides cap?
I have a feeling there is much more than the fans will ever know. That will fuel speculation and rumor, but i highly doubt anybody from GB comes out and says anything other than Sitton was a great player while he was here and it's a business, and they had to part ways.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As someone forced to pay attention to bears football based on where I live, I can tell you that this makes TONS of sense for them. They've been plagued by horrible line play for years and haven't had anyone but Long on that line that would start in GB. Now, if Sitton is some decent percentage of his former self, they have probably the best guard combo in the league.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't lose when I actually watch the guy and see him get pushed around like a girl. That means a lot more to me than some "expert's" percentage grade.

I don't buy PFF rankings either, but he's for sure an above average LT. He's not hurt too much either, is young and seems to have a knack for dealing with Ziggy Ansah. He'll get paid for sure and, unless they really think Spriggs is the answer at LT next year, I hope it's in GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't buy PFF rankings either, but he's for sure an above average LT. He's not hurt too much either, is young and seems to have a knack for dealing with Ziggy Ansah. He'll get paid for sure and, unless they really think Spriggs is the answer at LT next year, I hope it's in GB.

Bakhtiari is above average in pass protection but for sure not blocking for the run. Hopefully Spriggs will prove to be a worthy replacement as the Packers could save a ton of cap space that way.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sitton gets released and gets a raise in one day? To a division rival at that. Unbelievable.

This is another reason a trade would of benefited as you can have more leverage where the player goes.

Packers have nobody to blame but themselves on this one. "Total System Fail" all the way around.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton gets released and gets a raise in one day? To a division rival at that. Unbelievable.

This is another reason a trade would of benefited as you can have more leverage where the player goes.

Packers have nobody to blame but themselves on this one. "Total System Fail" all the way around.

Well, unless, as with many/most bears signings, they got a big expensive name on his way down. We'll have to see how Sitton plays before we call this one good or bad.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, he is now a Bear, but the Bears still aren't good enough to be on the Packers' level.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, unless, as with many/most bears signings, they got a big expensive name on his way down. We'll have to see how Sitton plays before we call this one good or bad.

I don't care how signing Sitton works out for the Bears but the Packers not getting anything in return for a player who was named second-team All-Pro for three consecutive seasons is disappointing at best.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sitton signs 3 yr 21mil contract with the Bears... Thoughts?
Good for Josh Sitton. I'm very happy for him. A 3 yr, 21/10 contract should serve him well. As I suspected would happen, we move forward replacing one of the guards this year, and likely replace Lang next season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Him going to Bears was just "Salt in the Wound" as I predicted earlier. Teams were lining up to pay Sitton and Chicago didn't want him leaving. Makes Bears better but doesn't turn them into "instant contenders" IMO either.

The bigger concern to me is what it did to the Packers who are "Contenders."

I thought the goal was to win a Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I suspected would happen, we move forward replacing one of the guards this year, and likely replace Lang next season.

I never expected the Packers to release Sitton but you suggested it to happen on several occasions. Good call. I still don't like the move though.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers announced they have signed LS Brett Goode and placed CB Makinton Dorleant on injured reserve.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care how signing Sitton works out for the Bears but the Packers not getting anything in return for a player who was named second-team All-Pro for three consecutive seasons is disappointing at best.
The moment you begin shopping a player on cut day, no gm will bite. Why?
There is only 1 incentive at that point, which is to get exclusive rights to him. Everything else says to wait. You wait, and you get to negotiate all your own terms, see them workout, etc. Trading when you know a gm is releasing is just foolish unless you absolutely 'must have' that specific player.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts