2016 Compensatory Picks announced

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comp picks make signing veteran players a bargain in free agency. You can sign a veteran for a year or two, let them go and hopefully pick up another comp pick when the veteran signs somewhere else.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Comp picks make signing veteran players a bargain in free agency. You can sign a veteran for a year or two, let them go and hopefully pick up another comp pick when the veteran signs somewhere else.
But, you can lose a comp pick by signing a vet in free agency. It's a whole +/- formula.

The trick is to sign a player that is a free agent because he was cut by his team. As was the case for Peppers, Woodson and Guion I believe?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So at what date, if any, does someone like Hayward being signed by another team not qualify to be included in the compensatory pick formula for the Packers? For instance, he sits around and isn't signed until next September and then fulfills all the other requirements of a CP (performance, salary, etc.)....Is there a cut-off date?

OP
OP
andeftw

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So at what date, if any, does someone like Hayward being signed by another team not qualify to be included in the compensatory pick formula for the Packers? For instance, he sits around and isn't signed until next September and then fulfills all the other requirements of a CP (performance, salary, etc.)....Is there a cut-off date?

June 1st I believe

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to note this nugget from the John Clayton article about how New England trades for players at the end of contracts in order to get comp picks:
The Patriots get creative trading for players in the last year of their rookie contracts, giving them the option of re-signing them or putting them in play for possible compensatory picks. They traded for wide receiver Keshawn Martin and signed him to a two-year deal. They might get a nice compensatory pick if defensive end Akiem Hicks gets $5 million or $6 million a year from another team. Hicks came from New Orleans in a trade.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...bowl-contenders-sat-sidelines-free-agency-far

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
These can be traded now this year as well.
I posted something about that being under consideration and captainWIMM posted that comp picks won't be able to be traded until the 2017 draft. :(

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, the comp picks we would get for guys we lose in FA this year (2017 draft) can be traded.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14274468/nfl-owners-ok-compensatory-pick-trading-2017
Originally, they talked about allowing it in 2016, but the article above was the last I heard.
It looks like one of the two stories is wrong as the cbssports story is talking about the comp picks just awarded, "The NFL announced on Friday that 33 compensatory draft picks have been awarded to 13 teams. And for the first time, these picks can be traded."

BTW here are the Packers picks, round and pick#:
1 #27
2 #57
3 #88
4 #125
4 #131 comp
4 #137 comp
5 #163
6 #200
7 #248

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'm still waiting to be "shocked" lol
You guys appear to be joking, but TT is actually decently liberal with his picks. 2014 is the only year that he didn't make a draft-day trade, usually making 3-4 on average per my records.

2015 - He bundled picks for Brett Hundley
2013 - He traded down three times, turning three picks into six. Of those 6 picks he selected Eddie Lacy, Charles Johnson (now starting WR for Vikings), and David Bahktiari. He also traded up to get Jonathan Franklin, who showed promise before a rookie neck injury.
2012 - He made three trades, including trading up to get Casey Heyward
2011 - He made three draft-day trades
2010 - Traded up to get Morgan Burnett, plus several other trades
2009 - Traded back into 1st round for Clay Matthews
2008 - He made a slew of trades, including trading down while still getting Jordy Nelson and trading down with Vikings to get Matt Flynn
2007 - Brandon Jackson, Aaron Rouse, Allen Barbre, Korey Hall, and Desmond Bishop were all from draft trades
2006 - Daryn Colledge, Greg Jennings, Jason Spitz, Will Blackmon, and Johnny Jolly all came from trades
2005 - Let's just say that the Packers drafted 17 players that day

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You guys appear to be joking, but TT is actually decently liberal with his picks. 2014 is the only year that he didn't make a draft-day trade, usually making 3-4 on average per my records.

Good post BTW. I was more referring to trading picks straight up for players and probably somewhat deep in my logic was his coveting of draft picks in general. But you are correct, TT does use those picks in very creative ways.

OP
OP
andeftw

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I'm reading this wrong, it appears they in fact can be traded...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...compensatory-picks-cowboys-lead-way-with-four

Yes, the comp picks we would get for guys we lose in FA this year (2017 draft) can be traded.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14274468/nfl-owners-ok-compensatory-pick-trading-2017

Originally, they talked about allowing it in 2016, but the article above was the last I heard.

It looks like one of the two stories is wrong as the cbssports story is talking about the comp picks just awarded, "The NFL announced on Friday that 33 compensatory draft picks have been awarded to 13 teams. And for the first time, these picks can be traded."

According to this NFL.com article (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...compensatory-picks-to-13-teams-for-2016-draft):
"Beginning in 2017, clubs will be permitted to trade compensatory picks."
Should be correct since it comes directly from the NFL's media outlet.

D

Deleted member 6794

The trick is to sign a player that is a free agent because he was cut by his team. As was the case for Peppers, Woodson and Guion I believe?

Once again, Woodson was a true unrestricted free agent as he wasn't released by the Raiders before signing with the Packers.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it appears they in fact can be traded...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...compensatory-picks-cowboys-lead-way-with-four

It seems like CBS messed it up in this article. While the original plan was to introduce the possibility of trading compensatory picks starting with this year's draft the owners decided to delay it until the 2017 draft.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts