Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the other side lives and for some of them it is year-in year-out:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/01/nfl-black-monday-head-coach-gm-firings-candidates

Most all of these announced previously. Looks like Payton may hang on in New Orleans.

Surprising and not surprising fires and retentions:

Oh on a side note, Payton isn't getting fired no but he could get traded to LA they're saying.

Chip Kelly .... well I'd say somewhat surprising. I know his record this year was atrocious and tough to survive in a season like that, but he had such a poor situation to work with in San Francisco that I don't think there's much he could've done with that team. And think about this, San Francisco is now in the Cleveland Brown camp, or possibly even worse considering the Browns have actually allowed Hue Jackson to stay actually. 49ers are now going to have 4 different HCs in as many years. Jed York, you obviously learned nothing from that old senile fool neighbor of yours Al Davis.

Mike McCoy .... not surprising. That guy rode Peyton Manning's coattails to his head coaching job and got exposed as a fraud by year 3.

Marvin Lewis ... surprising yet not that the Bengals refuse to fire this loser. Despite him not doing anything right in 14 years as head coach and creating the most toxic environment in all NFL locker rooms, and posting the horrendous 6-9-1 record, Mike Brown the owner does it again. Mike, for the good of your city you need to be locked away in an insane asylum and the government needs to seize your property the Bengals and put it up for sale to the highest bidder. You sir are second to Jed York in stupidest NFL owners.

Todd Bowles ... quite a bit surprising he didn't get axed. But certainly the Jets have shown a little patience before with HCs like Eric Mangini and Rex Ryan even, so he'll get one more shot to do it. But one more strike and he's out.

For Fisher, Ryan, and Bradley, not surprising. Fisher having said himself he wasn't going to go 7-9 again, Ryan just being a bad hire on the Bills' part, and Bradley's expectations were to be where the Titans finished this year.

John Fox ... surprising in a way that he's stayed in Chicago despite having a worse finish this year than Trestman did. Granted he's found ways to survive before as well as generally being a pretty well-liked guy, but as with Bowles in NY, I think this season will be him on a short leash.

Chuck Pagano ... well actually no word yet on his status for sure. Irsay certainly seems hesitant to pull the trigger on him just yet, but rumors are that the GM Grigson could get the axe but Pagano staying. Crazy too considering one might have thought him kept after 8-8 last year meant that he had to win the division and make the playoffs. We'll see though.

Seats getting warmer heading into 2017

Very hot and under pressure in 2017 will be Sean Payton (if he stays in NO), John Fox, Todd Bowles, Chuck Pagano, and Marvin Lewis.

Seats getting hotter are Jay Gruden's in Washington, John Harbaugh's in Baltimore, Hue Jackson's in Cleveland, and I think Ron Rivera in Carolina could be elevated to very hot should the Panthers have another losing season.

Getting a little warm ... well Jim Caldwell probably won't be feeling anything too hot yet, but 9-7 still keeps you on the not quite safe list, so certainly he can't afford to get lazy here. It may also get a little warm for Bruce Arians if the Cardinals don't make some changes this next year either.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Rams hire Sean McVay and Chargers hire Anthony Lynn. Lynn, I guess I wouldn't know as much about to talk about that move.

A little surprised about Sean McVay. Not so much about his body of work, he did do a decent job with the Redskins offense and Kirk Cousins' limitations. But he's moving into a role that's gonna require a huge burden on him to keep his players (ALL OF THEM) always playing at a high level. Now I'm betting he certainly won't get any GM duties assigned to him as this guy did, but I'd be a little skeptical about this move because the Denver Broncos brought in Josh McDaniels, another guy who was young at the time like this guy, well a little older but still taking over a team at a young age. He came in highly touted like Sean McVay, but that one flopped pretty big. You just wonder here if they grabbed a guy who could certainly be a good head coach some day but just isn't his time yet.

Members online

Latest posts