• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Random comments by Silverstein in the live blog:
• If they get Jones, he’ll be the #4WR.
“Yes I could see someone making a pitch (for Hundley). What would it take to get Hundley? Packers probably want a high 2 for him.”
• Sometimes they don’t tell guys they’re getting cut until the last minute because they don’t want them leaving town – they don’t want other teams poaching them for their PS.
After Silverstein’s mentioned his dog won’t even fetch his paper, GBinJax wrote, ‘I bet Ted’s dog fetches the paper. And he’s constantly looking over his shoulder fearing a younger dog.’ :D
• Rotheram is almost certainly coming back to the PS. They really like him.
• Asked about how upset players get when told they are being waived, he says Tom Braatz used to tell the story of someone pulling a gun upon learning he was cut. :eek:
• He’s been told Backman has made it so they keep 3 TEs and probably both FBs.
• They’re down to 9 OL which include Taylor and Walker.

Also from the blog. Cuts we know of:
  • RB Rajion Neal
  • DL Khyri Thornton
  • ILB Joe Thomas
  • ILB Carl Bradford
  • LB James Vaughters
  • OL Matt Rotheram
  • S/CB Ryan White
  • S Jean Fanor
  • TE Justin Perillo
  • OL Andy Phillips
  • TE Mitchell Henry
  • G/C Garth Gerhart
  • OT Jeremy Vujnovich
  • *WR Ed Williams
  • *WR Larry Pinkard
  • * Reported by other news sources, not confirmed.
http://live.jsonline.com/Event/Live_blog_Packers_roster_cuts_2

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, cut thornton and the rookies. i feel good about the 5 plus 2 we got... ringo just didnt step it up i giess. ps for sure...

H

HardRightEdge

Rajion Neal is a bit of a surprise to me, I thought he had the inside track to the 3rd RB spot.
I had Harris ahead of Neal until Harris dropped a couple of balls in week 2, running before catching; then Neal reinforced the apparent receiving edge in week 3 with Harris sitting out, taking what I thought was a marginal lead.

What I liked about Harris in those first 2 games was a guy who get a yard or two out of nothing and generally liked him better than Neal as a runner. Harris redeemed himself in week 4 and here we are...so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i liked him better as a runner too, but those dropped passes stood out to me and the Neal seemed to run better the last 2 games and we have Starks and Lacy already, I thought they'd keep they guy with better hands.

H

HardRightEdge

wow, cut thornton and the rookies. i feel good about the 5 plus 2 we got... ringo just didnt step it up i giess. ps for sure...
Starting in week 1, certain guys were buried on the depth chart getting only late game snaps...Thornton and Ringo among them. Unless you see them climbing to earlier-in-the-game snaps in the week 2 and week 3 games, which did not happen in these cases and others, one can't be surprised.

H

HardRightEdge

They’re down to 9 OL which include Taylor and Walker.
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they kept all 9 until Jones comes back after week 1 and then tried to sneak Walker onto the PS after the league has set its rosters.

H

HardRightEdge

5 DL makes perfect sense. It goes to 6 after week 1, 7 after week 2, while Neal and Peppers take snaps there as well. A sixth guy wouldn't make the game day roster in week 1 anyway.

I don't think any of the DL other candidates made enough of an impression to go out of the way to take up a roster spot that could go elsewhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not surprised Thornton and Ringo were released, I'm relieved their draft positions didn't over rule superior play by others on the field. I'll guess Ringo goes to the PS, but Thornton has no excuses. I thought he was "fortunate" to be injured in the last preseason game last year so they didn't have to make a decision on him. Perhaps he improved to "just a guy" this season but they have better options.

H

HardRightEdge

Wondering if Harris and Crockett are off hiding somewhere?
Maybe they'll both be kept, with Starks released. :eek:

Starks represents a $1.5 mil cap savings if released, offset by $436,000 for the minimum salary replacement.

I see it as a possibility...but I will admit to be quite surprised if it happens.

More likely Harris or Crockett is targeted as a PS possibility.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was on a flight from Minneapolis to Green Bay today and James Vaughters was
sitting less than ten feet from me both at the gate area and on the plane. How did
I know it was him? His duffel bag had an NFLPA symbol on it and a Packer tag with
his name and jersey number.

I didn't speak to him as he had his headphones on the entire time, but I could only
imagine his stress. Really hope that he lands on the practice squad.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Silverstein: "I think Banjo is safe. He's maybe the best special teams player they have." I haven't thought a lot about that, but off the top of my head I'd say Elliott is.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not surprised Thornton and Ringo were released, I'm relieved their draft positions didn't over rule superior play by others on the field. I'll guess Ringo goes to the PS, but Thornton has no excuses. I thought he was "fortunate" to be injured in the last preseason game last year so they didn't have to make a decision on him. Perhaps he improved to "just a guy" this season but they have beorm tter options.
It was a case of Pennel and Gaston flat outplaying these guys. Thornton, as you say, showed nothing in 2 camps, which washes away any draft status consideration. Ringo's 6th. round status is hardly a buffer for any player...there's not a lot to differentiate those guys from UDFAs.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silverstein: "I think Banjo is safe. He's maybe the best special teams player they have." I haven't thought a lot about that, but off the top of my head I'd say Elliott is.
ripkowski seems to be rising on the list too. but yea, elliott...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good point. Ripkowski has been very good on STs. Good enough to justify a spot on the 53 just based upon STs play IMO - not that that's all they'll get from him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wish we had cloned ted, mccarthy, and rodgers, 9 years ago... mini rodgers would ne 16 by the time rodgers retires! its still not too late imo

H

HardRightEdge

“Yes I could see someone making a pitch (for Hundley). What would it take to get Hundley? Packers probably want a high 2 for him.”
Wanting and getting are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts