2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

check, check, check, check......seems to be going as predicted. The toughest two will be the players that make the final 53 while Jones and Guion sit out their suspensions.
Boyd-Raji-Daniels look set in base. Pennel has made surprising progress over last season; he's gone from fundamental mess to credible football player...he might even steal the strong side DE from Boyd. Worst case, he can swing between base DE and NT in rotation. No additions for the base are particularly necessary.

In nickel pass rush, the DT group is thin. Jones and Guion were slated for that rotation with Daniels, like last season, leaving holes. Neal gets snaps there; Peppers gets snaps there; Raji could get some snaps there. But the group does look light in the nickel pass rush department.

Of all the other candidate for a nickel position, my vote goes to Gaston as the guy who showed best in the pass rush. Run/pass tweener downs in nickel might be an issue, but I like him for pass downs while the suspensions are in force. If he plays and plays well early, all the better. Possible upside? Johnny Jolly-like, I suppose.

It's possible they go with just 5 for week one, and then 6 for week 2 with Jones. If there's another guy they like, such as Ringo, they might put him on the roster, and then try to sneak him on the PS after week 1 when everybody has set their 53 and PS already.

I have a hard time seeing more than 7 guys on the roster once Guion returns, maybe cut down to 6 given Neal and Peppers doing spot duty.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...until the last preseason game concludes. ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jared Abbrederis has returned to practice today.

I wonder if it is possible that they will be willing to use one of the temporary roster spots they have with the Jones and Guion suspensions to go a little light on the D-line for a week or 2 and buy Abbrederis a little more time to see if he can contribute. At the very least I hope they stash him on the practice squad if he does clear waivers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Either way, I hope his time in Green Bay gets him a decent recommendation. Given the choice between throwing this guy on the field in an emergency vs. some of the dismal 3rd. stringers I've seen (yeah, I'm talking about you Lindley, just to name one recent example), I'd just as soon roll the dice with this guy after the perfunctory system acclimation.

Maybe the early release will work in his favor in getting another job.

Alex Van Pelt said he would be willing to call any of his friends in the league who need a QB and highly recommend Blanchard.

It's possible they go with just 5 for week one, and then 6 for week 2 with Jones. If there's another guy they like, such as Ringo, they might put him on the roster, and then try to sneak him on the PS after week 1 when everybody has set their 53 and PS already.

I have a hard time seeing more than 7 guys on the roster once Guion returns, maybe cut down to 6 given Neal and Peppers doing spot duty.

The Packers kept only five defensive linemen on the roster for the start of last season. With Peppers and Neal providing some flexibility on the DL I don't think the team will keep more than six at any point during this season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No surprise. Maybe PS, but I kinda doubt it. Either way, I hope his time in Green Bay gets him a decent recommendation. Given the choice between throwing this guy on the field in an emergency vs. some of the dismal 3rd. stringers I've seen (yeah, I'm talking about you Lindley, just to name one recent example), I'd just as soon roll the dice with this guy after the perfunctory system acclimation.

Maybe the early release will work in his favor in getting another job.

I think it was obvious that Blanchard was not going to make the 53 man roster so why keep him over someone who has a better chance to help the team. If no one signs him there is still a chance he comes back to the PS if he is still eligible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think Blanchard was going to make it here. I mean he was much better than guys we've had thru here in the past, but I don't think he was better than Tolzien or Hundley, and we're not keeping 4 qb's. Let him go find another job if you know you're not keeping him.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If no one signs him there is still a chance he comes back to the PS if he is still eligible.

Blanchard is still eligible for the practice squad but with the Packers keeping three QBs on the roster I don't see them adding another one to the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Blanchard is still eligible for the practice squad but with the Packers keeping three QBs on the roster I don't see them adding another one to the PS.

I agree Captain. Due to Hundley's play, Blanchard is no longer needed to back up Tolzien. Only way I see Blanchard being put on the PS is if they think Tolzien is gone after this year. But even then, would rather have that 10th spot used to develop another player/postion and take your chances on finding your 3rd stringer next year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

All players released by the Packers this week cleared waivers which means WRs Javess Blue and Jimmie Hunt, who were waived injured, revert to the team's IR.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If McCarthy is right about Blanchard he'll be on some team's active roster, probably as a #3. I think McCarthy was sincere in saying he's an NFL caliber QB and with the dearth of those…

H

HardRightEdge

If McCarthy is right about Blanchard he'll be on some team's active roster, probably as a #3. I think McCarthy was sincere in saying he's an NFL caliber QB and with the dearth of those…
I don't know about "active roster", but a job as a #3, even if it's on a practice squad, seems quite plausible.

He ran a pro style offense at UW Whitewater, an endangered species in the college game, and has 4 off seasons under his belt in the NFL, which accounts for why he looks like he knows what he's doing. Had somebody taken Hundley ahead of the Packers pick, there's a very good chance he'd be the Packers #3 QB.

Yeah, McCarthy wasn't blowing smoke when he asked, in an early take, "why aren't you on somebody's team already"? He broke his left hand in Chicago, and evidently his concussion was quite serious, experiencing blurred vision for 2 months...snake bit at the wrong times.

It may seem contradictory on the surface, but I think the Packers liked him enough to give him an early release so his agent would have a week's head start before the league has solidified their rosters and PS projections by the time of final cut downs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It may seem contradictory on the surface, but I think the Packers liked him enough to give him an early release so his agent would have a week's head start before the league has solidified their rosters and PS projections by the time of final cut downs.
I don't have any question they do that. While it may seem contradictory, I think it's smart in the long-run. It enhances the Packers already good/great reputation with UDFAs who do have a choice about which team they sign with (there examples of players and agents saying they signed with the Packers because they give them legit shots to make the team). And in the future if Blanchard is available and the Packers are in need of a backup QB, he probably would strongly consider them if he views his early release as a favor.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't have any question they do that. While it may seem contradictory, I think it's smart in the long-run. It enhances the Packers already good/great reputation with UDFAs who do have a choice about which team they sign with (there examples of players and agents saying they signed with the Packers because they give them legit shots to make the team). And in the future if Blanchard is available and the Packers are in need of a backup QB, he probably would strongly consider them if he views his early release as a favor.
That's an important observation.

On one level, players are viewed as building blocks and chess pieces, both here and in the front office, especially when it comes to cap considerations and bottom-of-the-roster covering-of-the-bases in the "it's a business" aspect of roster construction...and it is a construction. The player is a commodity at one level, for every football organization, or any worker in any organization at all.

What we can't fully appreciate, except at a remove and via second hand information, are the personal relationships that are built around the work-at-hand. It's not about this guy or that guy being a "nice guy", or even about that at all...it's about guys who exhibit a love of the game and "doing the right things" in the work of football...mutual respect for the work.

I think it does go beyond planting seeds for players considering a bounce-back when the Packers are in need, although that's certainly a byproduct of core values: draft-and-develop on a foundation of work ethic, love of the process, love of the game.

Myles White is another one of those guys who stands out to me, from what I can tell from the outside, as a prime example of this equation at work. From early on, he looked to me like a guy who just loves to play. The whole calculus was neatly packed into McCarthy's recent comment regarding White, saying something to the effect, "he's a guy you'd like to see succeed," a statement laden with the balance between player-as-commodity and core values.

However, we don't want to get too touchy-feely about the process. I think it's fair to say teams with quite different core values can achieve success. I think it's fair to say Belichick is more a player-as-commodity guy, with an annual rotation of rent-a-players and scheme modifications to accommodate them. He doesn't shy away from big egos...those guys can certainly work even if their love of the game and the process is not "pure". A superior athlete who's on-field motivation is an ego-driven desire to just whip the guy on the other side can be a powerful weapon, whether it's Moss or the Revis Island. If those players are further motivated by a paycheck, big market exposure, resume building in a winning organization that leads to the next contract, or the shot at a ring, those can be powerful incentives with certain personalities.

If the idea is to win football games, I wouldn't put one approach over another. The proof is in the putting. The key is having an overriding philosophy that results in winning, and staying true to one's self.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was constantly in the backfield on passing plays last season but missed several sacks when he had an opportunity. He turned to yoga to increase his flexibility in an effort to reach his potential, so hopefully it works out for him and the Packers.
Jones, to me, is the most under the radar guy in terms of importance to the growth of this defensive unit. If he can bring his A game and show why he was made a 1st rounder it could be a game changer. I think we all know what we will get out of guys like Clay, Pepp and Daniels. If Datone can consistently play at a high level we will have 4 guys in the front 7 that can reek havoc on any given play. Like WIMM mentioned, 95 is often times in the right place to make the play but for whatever reason whiffs more than he should. Hopefully the game "slows down" for him a bit this year and he can find a good blend of wild man and harnessed energy. The guy shows flashes and has the look of a guy that can end up being a borderline PB type guy but the consistency has to be there! I am holding out hope 95 has the break out year we are all waiting to see and if he does I firmly believe the D could end up being a much improved unit.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hundley had some impressive numbers tonight. didnt anyone tell him he was a rookie running qb? lol. white and janis having great preseasons. didnt see the game but the resilts speak for themselves.
i wonder what hundley will become under rodgers and mccarthys tutelage

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey how's Raji doing??? Havent had time to catch any games. I know a lot of people bad mouthed him and said he was on his way out. Is he going to make the 53?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hey how's Raji doing??? Havent had time to catch any games. I know a lot of people bad mouthed him and said he was on his way out. Is he going to make the 53?

Raji will for sure make the 53. During the preseason he played a total of 59 snaps but didn't do anything to get excited about (no sacks, no tackles).

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im glad preseason is over. lets get the starters on the field in real games. bears are going to be burger.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Hundley looked damn impressive once again. We are going to have teams banging on our door looking to trade for him if he continues what hes doing and progresses even more.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
didnt see the game
Me either. Saw we were down 10-0 first quarter; then saw the final score. Our scrubs must have pounded their scrubs. I'm in complete agreement with Rogers about "meaningless games". Especially when they cost the same as games that count.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Hundley looked damn impressive once again. We are going to have teams banging on our door looking to trade for him if he continues what hes doing and progresses even more.
in a year or two we could really cash in big with him...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt he makes the 53 at all. While not impressive in his performance, I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I did single him out to watch. He did hold the point of attack, though I'd like to see him separate and make a tackle too, but it was much better than I remember him as, even double teamed. I also saw a bit more pop off the ball from him than I expected and I remember one a game or 2 ago he actually ran all the way down the line and was giving chase pretty hard from the backside of the play. I liked to see him giving that effort. It's what he did year 1 and if you do that every play, you're going to make some big plays.

So, while I wasn't blow away, I was comfortable with what I saw. I think he'll be ok in the regular season and if he keeps up with the effort, we might see the "old Raji"

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
raji need a good group around him. he is one of those guys that has to be on a dominant defense, or its no fun. he will have stids all around him now. daniels and guion are beastly destructive ends. peppers and mathews are hall of famers. and the secondary seems able to tackle, cover and pick a lot of balls off. raji will get his this season. pennell has me excited too. another giant to rotate will give the big boys fresh legs. boyd and jones are still in the mix too. both produce in streaks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My final thoughts on preseason:

1. Starting offense: will be good again, despite loosing Jordy. I just hope the lack of work, doesn't bite them in the butt in the first few weeks. Depth at O-line maybe shaky. 3rd down conversions need to get better.
  2. Starting Defense: This worries me the most. For the most part, the starters looked out of synch and confused. D-line and linebackers are going to have to step it up, or the offense is going to have to score a lot of points to win games. Will Capers be with the Packers after this year if the defense doesn't perform?
  3. Special Teams: Was promoting Zook the right decision? Early returns don't look that favorable, but in the preseason special teams has to be one of the hardest things to put together, since it all revolves around the final 53. Let's hope we have enough special players to make it special. Mason, solid. Masthay....cross your fingers.
  4. Coaching: McCarthy turning the play calling over to Clements looks seamless thus far. Let's hope this provides McCarthy with a bit more time to nudge Capers and Zook along. Capers and Zook, jury is still out.
  5. Depth: This again looks like the strength of the Packers. Our 2nd and 3rds for the most part out performed the other teams. Hats off to TT and scouting for once again finding some good solid late round & UDFA's.
  6. Biggest Preseason surprise: Hundley and Gunter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
finally saw some ILB's that looked like they wanted to play. I have to take into account the level of their opponent, but Ryan made some plays, Palmer looked like he wanted to be there and Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts