2015 MVP Race

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
while all that might be true, and I think Rodgers gives his receivers all the chances in the world to make the best plays, i don't see that many other WR's running around free and clear all over the field for mediocre qb's to get them the ball. Lots of WR's aren't the fastest with a ton of separation but they're still catching passes for other teams. Jones is far from the slowest guy on the field and he will out muscle a ball.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, if someone says it on a message board, it must be true. And James Jones turned out to be garbage after a couple teams dumped him too, so you're probably right... I sure wish you were calling the shots for my Packers, Croak.

Thanks! You ever see TT on the phone in his booth? Yep, that's me on the other end. Just remember, someone saying something on a message board doesn't make it false either. The proof will be in the pudding. And I hope the circumstances don't occur where we have to see the proof.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks! You ever see TT on the phone in his booth? Yep, that's me on the other end. Just remember, someone saying something on a message board doesn't make it false either. The proof will be in the pudding. And I hope the circumstances don't occur where we have to see the proof.

I'm just glad your views on our backup QB situation were informed by such reasonable evidence like the clown opinion of a few Niners board posters on a player that never took a snap for their team. (At the time, they probably thought Colin Kaepernick was the next great thing.)

You have a point about saying things on message boards, though. Perhaps you should change your signature to "Throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks."

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm just glad your views on our backup QB situation were informed by such reasonable evidence like the clown opinion of a few Niners board posters on a player that never took a snap for their team. (At the time, they probably thought Colin Kaepernick was the next great thing.)

You have a point about saying things on message boards, though. Perhaps you should change your signature to "Throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks."

When that poster is a my son, yes, I tend to favor his opinion. What good Father wouldn't?

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Scott Tolzien is Blaine Gabbert. Has all the intangibles, looks great in preseason and in practice, smart guy.....can't do jack diddly on the field. There is a reason he is in his 5th year and hasn't cracked a starting lineup.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Scott Tolzien is Blaine Gabbert. Has all the intangibles, looks great in preseason and in practice, smart guy.....can't do jack diddly on the field. There is a reason he is in his 5th year and hasn't cracked a starting lineup.
And you base this on his playing time basically as a rookie two seasons ago? By that standard, Wolf should have let Favre rot on the bench in Atlanta.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he's clearly not good bc he isn't starting at quarterback for the Green Bay packers

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
You guys are funny. He played 3 games, and he played awful. Dude bounced around several teams practice squads. Tell me that last "great talent" that bounced around teams and finally turned into something great in his 6th season.

The Packers are an immensely talented team, but not EVERYONE on the roster is a superstar.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You guys are funny. He played 3 games, and he played awful. Dude bounced around several teams practice squads. Tell me that last "great talent" that bounced around teams and finally turned into something great in his 6th season. The Packers are an immensely talented team, but not EVERYONE on the roster is a superstar.
I don’t see a post on this thread in which anyone is hinting Tolzien is a superstar. (Also, IMO that comment disrespects serious Packers fans on this forum.) I see comments like he’s better this year than Hundley and he’s better than he was when he first joined the Packers.

As I previously posted, Tolzien was signed to the Packers practice squad on September 1, 2013. He stayed on the PS for 65 days until after Rodgers got hurt vs. the Bears. It's safe to say he received no snaps with the first team offense during that time. He spent 6 days on the active roster preparing as Wallace’s backup before entering his first game as a Packer against the Eagles. He then prepared for 6 days as the starter for the Giants game. That would certainly be a factor in how he played, wouldn’t it?

As to bouncing around several teams PS, an article I linked in this thread sheds some light on that:
When McCarthy & Co. got Tolzien, there were three major things they wanted to alter: his release point, footwork and throwing mechanics. All three have been improved dramatically, and the results are noticeable. "I think the ball jumps out of his hands a little more today than when he first got here," Van Pelt said. "The other thing that sticks out is his accuracy. And that's a reflection of his hard work." http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mproving-his-stock-b99561281z1-323013481.html
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mproving-his-stock-b99561281z1-323013481.html So after bouncing around other teams, McCarthy & Co., who know a little something about QB play, observed he was deficient in his release point, footwork and throwing mechanics. That more than hints at the possibility that the other teams didn’t do much of a job coaching him. He’s now immersed in the Packers’ offense and he’s physically better. The most impressive thing about this preseason was the way he ran the no huddle. That probably has a lot to do with why he’s the backup and not Hundley, who I expect to be the backup QB next season.

No one said he’s a superstar. I think it’s likely he’ll be playing elsewhere next season. But basing an evaluation of Tolzien on how he played just after arriving in Green Bay two years ago is shortsighted.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don’t see a post on this thread in which anyone is hinting Tolzien is a superstar. (Also, IMO that comment disrespects serious Packers fans on this forum.) I see comments like he’s better this year than Hundley and he’s better than he was when he first joined the Packers.

As I previously posted, Tolzien was signed to the Packers practice squad on September 1, 2013. He stayed on the PS for 65 days until after Rodgers got hurt vs. the Bears. It's safe to say he received no snaps with the first team offense during that time. He spent 6 days on the active roster preparing as Wallace’s backup before entering his first game as a Packer against the Eagles. He then prepared for 6 days as the starter for the Giants game. That would certainly be a factor in how he played, wouldn’t it?

As to bouncing around several teams PS, an article I linked in this thread sheds some light on that: So after bouncing around other teams, McCarthy & Co., who know a little something about QB play, observed he was deficient in his release point, footwork and throwing mechanics. That more than hints at the possibility that the other teams didn’t do much of a job coaching him. He’s now immersed in the Packers’ offense and he’s physically better. The most impressive thing about this preseason was the way he ran the no huddle. That probably has a lot to do with why he’s the backup and not Hundley, who I expect to be the backup QB next season.

No one said he’s a superstar. I think it’s likely he’ll be playing elsewhere next season. But basing an evaluation of Tolzien on how he played just after arriving in Green Bay two years ago is shortsighted.

And yet, somehow, I had a better impression of Hundley during the pre-season than Tolzien. I thought Tolzien struggled in the pre-season for us. But, like I said before, McArthy is capable of doing a lot with QBs.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score

As to bouncing around several teams PS, an article I linked in this thread sheds some light on that: So after bouncing around other teams, McCarthy & Co., who know a little something about QB play, observed he was deficient in his release point, footwork and throwing mechanics. That more than hints at the possibility that the other teams didn’t do much of a job coaching him. He’s now immersed in the Packers’ offense and he’s physically better. The most impressive thing about this preseason was the way he ran the no huddle. That probably has a lot to do with why he’s the backup and not Hundley, who I expect to be the backup QB next season.

Jeez dude, lighten up, it's just football.

Tolzien played for "the QB whisperer" Jim Harbaugh, but somehow Harbaugh never noticed any of his mechanics issues? It doesn't strike you as strange that Jim, a guy who had transformed many QB's, didn't hold on to Tolzien if all that he had were some minor mechanics issues?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Tolzien played for "the QB whisperer" Jim Harbaugh, but somehow Harbaugh never noticed any of his mechanics issues? It doesn't strike you as strange that Jim, a guy who had transformed many QB's, didn't hold on to Tolzien if all that he had were some minor mechanics issues?
I trust McCarthy and his staff more than Harbaugh and I think they were telling the truth about the fundamentals Tolzien had to work on upon arriving in Green Bay and he did. You are basing your opinion on games in which Tolzien was thrown into the fire without having gone through TC or getting snaps with the 1s until his second outing. Once he got acclimated, he had a higher QB rating in preseason than Flynn in 2014 and here's part of a story on him this last preseason:
Scott Tolzien showed Thursday night why the Green Bay Packers felt so comfortable letting Matt Flynn walk this offseason.Aaron Rodgers and the first-team offense handled the first three series against New England Patriots in the Packers’ preseason opener, but Tolzien looked right at home once he supplanted the MVP quarterback in the second quarter of the eventual 22-11 victory.

Tolzien brought his efficiency in practice with him to Gillette Stadium. He commanded the no-huddle offense for four series, leading two touchdown-producing drives while completing 10-of-16 passes for 107 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown to receiver Jeff Janis. The Packers have invested two years into Tolzien’s development, but didn’t feel he was ready for the No. 2 role last season. With Flynn backing up Rodgers in 2014, the coaches tweaked Tolzien’s throwing motion and footwork. Since re-signing on a one-year, $1.35 million deal in March, there’s been a noticeable difference in Tolzien’s decision-making and velocity. On Thursday night, it was time for Tolzien to translate his improvement to a game situation. He responded with a 102.9 passer rating.
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../14/packers-patriots-open-preseason/31682809/

Staff online

Latest posts