2015 MVP Race

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Right......Because one of the QB's responsible for two of those five losses is the current back up QB for the Packers.

I think Tolzien would perform better today than he did back then. The O-line is much improved today as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right......Because one of the QB's responsible for two of those five losses is the current back up QB for the Packers.

Tolzien was with the Packers for two months at the time he had to replace Wallace vs. the Eagles, not getting any snaps with the starters in practice. It would have been unrealistic to expect any better results.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have two words for you. Christian Ponder.

Reps don't always mean improvement.

I have two words for you. Aaron Rodgers. Sat for a while and learned the game. My guess is Tolzien is better than Ponder because he can actually throw a football.

And a three game sample or whatever it was doesn't predict the future either or else Viking fans should be incredibly disappointed bc After 3 games this year Teddy looks average at best

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I'll reiterate what TJV said earlier....I don't care who wins MVP this season. I want the Lombardi Trophy. That being said............Rodgers.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I have two words for you. Aaron Rodgers. Sat for a while and learned the game. My guess is Tolzien is better than Ponder because he can actually throw a football.

And a three game sample or whatever it was doesn't predict the future either or else Viking fans should be incredibly disappointed bc After 3 games this year Teddy looks average at best
Ponder can throw the all just fine. He just can't deal with the pressure coming at him. If he had a nice pocket and 4-5 seconds, no problem. :)

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponder can throw the all just fine. He just can't deal with the pressure coming at him. If he had a nice pocket and 4-5 seconds, no problem. :)

Nah. I watched him at a training camp in throwing drill. Poor ball, anything remotely deep fluttered, not accurate, but you are right he also had awful pocket presence.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll disagree slightly on how he throws a ball, but one thing is certain, he could not handle the pressure. He got worse the more he played I think. By the last time we faced him playing qb, I almost felt bad for the guy, and it was a little painful, even for me to watch. I can't imagine what the Viking fans were going thru.

D

Deleted member 6794

Frankly, I'd rather see young Hundley as the backup instead of Tolzien.

As of right now Tolzien is the better option. With him being a free agent after this season it's possible Hundley will be Rodgers' backup starting in 2016 though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to say the Packers offense is nothing but Aaron Rodgers. He's of course the most important piece, but the O also features one of the best running backs in the game and one of the best offensive lines.

If you're using 2013 as your exhibit A, consider that (among other losses, like Cobb), we also lost our backup QB right after losing Rodgers and were down to our practice squad guy with Tolzien, who really had no business starting an NFL game that year. I can't say whether or not Wallace would have been successful, but by the time we brought Flynn back and he was starting, he kept us in every game but one and went 2-2 as a starter including a big comeback win in Dallas.

That 2-2 is much more indicative of what we should realistically expect from our backups, guys who can at least give us a chance with the talent around them. There's talent there besides Rodgers, but I think even the best teams in the NFL would struggle if they had to resort to 3rd string /practice squad /street QBs. Look what a disaster the Cardinals were by the time they limped into the playoffs last year.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As of right now Tolzien is the better option. With him being a free agent after this season it's possible Hundley will be Rodgers' backup starting in 2016 though.

I still hear the comments of Niners fans who said they found out that Tolzien is a great "pre-season" player, but during the season, mediocre at best.

D

Deleted member 6794

I still hear the comments of Niners fans who said they found out that Tolzien is a great "pre-season" player, but during the season, mediocre at best.

Well, he never threw a pass for the Niners in the regular season so I don't think their fan base is a credible source for evaluating Tolzien's play when it really matters.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, he never threw a pass for the Niners in the regular season so I don't think their fan base is a credible source for evaluating Tolzien's play when it really matters.

This is true. But the Niners have a forum just like we do and their forum members watched him a lot and weren't impressed. (My son used to be a mod there.) Maybe they were mistaken. But if I recall their nickname for him was; "The Lord High Tolzien" most useless man on the team. Maybe he'll prove to be better under McCarthy who has a way of bringing things out in a QB. He was dumped by the Chargers and dumped by the Niners. Maybe he'll turn out to be a third time's a charm guy. But I'm not holding my breath.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is true. But the Niners have a forum just like we do and their forum members watched him a lot and weren't impressed. (My son used to be a mod there.) Maybe they were mistaken. But if I recall their nickname for him was; "The Lord High Tolzien" most useless man on the team. Maybe he'll prove to be better under McCarthy who has a way of bringing things out in a QB. He was dumped by the Chargers and dumped by the Niners. Maybe he'll turn out to be a third time's a charm guy. But I'm not holding my breath.

IMO he showed a ton of potential during the games he had to play in 2013 without knowing the system or having any snaps with the #1 offense. There's no doubt he made way too many mistakes as well but considering all the circumstances that was to be expected.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, Scott Tolzien's future is very good. I believe he will become a very successful QB coach and offensive coordinator.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He was dumped by the Chargers and dumped by the Niners. Maybe he'll turn out to be a third time's a charm guy. But I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe there's a significant difference between the first two and the third team. This is from an August 26th article:
When McCarthy & Co. got Tolzien, there were three major things they wanted to alter: his release point, footwork and throwing mechanics. All three have been improved dramatically, and the results are noticeable.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mproving-his-stock-b99561281z1-323013481.html

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And once again, the 2013 version of Tolzien, thrown into the fire from the Practice squad, first year in the system after our starter and backup both went down, is not the same thing as 2015 Tolzien more developed and in the system for the 3rd year.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cards play the first decent team on the schedule and get beat. no surprise

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, if someone says it on a message board, it must be true. And James Jones turned out to be garbage after a couple teams dumped him too, so you're probably right... I sure wish you were calling the shots for my Packers, Croak.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if someone says it on a message board, it must be true. And James Jones turned out to be garbage after a couple teams dumped him too, so you're probably right... I sure wish you were calling the shots for my Packers, Croak.
I still can't believe he was cut by TWO freaking teams this year. I'm thankful he was

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure there aren't many QBs that would get as much out of Jones as the Packers do. First, when Jones was on the team it was acknowledged by players and coaches that he had the strongest hands on the team (and by strongest I don't mean best, I mean strength). Rodgers has played with him enough to know that he's willing to outmuscle a corner for the ball, that takes trust. Jones is like a mini-Dez at times. Second, Jones doesn't get much separation most of the time. He's just not that fast. Rodgers can fit the ball into the small openings that Jones provides, not many other QBs can do that.

Members online

Latest posts