2014 Packer Awards

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2014 Packer Awards go to:

MVP - Rodgers. No surprise here. Should be the league MVP as well. Anytime you toss 7 TDs per Int you are doing something right. And, to the best of my memory, 3 of those INTs were bounced off the hands of the WR. Only 2, I felt, where his fault. He never gets rattled and always leads his team. Cutler fans may discount the role of leadership in a QB, but I do not.

OMVP - Jordy. Suddenly getting lots of recognition for his work. I haven't hear the comparisons to other white WRs, and they just talk about what he can do. I think I heard one - "You wouldn't expect him to be so fast because of, well, he wasn't known for his speed in college." Glad we extended him, I think he took a small step forward this year. Tough to imagine as good as he was last year, that he got better, but he did.

DMVP - Claymaker. I wanted to give a surprise pick here, but Clay is it. His versatility with moving inside has really energized the whole defense.

Comeback POY - Morgan Burnett. He had a terrible season last year, but is back on track and showing why TT extended him in the first place. Not sure why the poor play last season, I think it was more than just trying to compensate for the poor play at the safety position next to him.

ROY - Linsley. What an impact he has had in his rookie season. Center had lots of questions coming into the season, and who would have thought the answer could be found in the 4th round of a draft, supposedly very weak at Center?

Disappointing player of the year: Brad Jones. I was excited for this guy when he was a rookie. He showed surprising quickness; aggressiveness; and pass rush ability. It left an impression on me that never followed up with anything. Time to cut ties, I'm afraid. We need to feed the younger players game experience. I have little hope Jones will be much of anything.

Disappointing rookie of the year: Haha. Sorry Haha. I think you can be a very good player for us. I'm just disappointed in the missed tackles so far. He was such an hard hitting/good tackling safety in college, I expected to see the same. I can think of 4 or 5 great plays he could have made, but he didn't wrap up properly on the tackle. His coverage seems pretty good - a few mistakes - but all rookies make those errors.

Offensive play of the year: Jordy Nelson 45 yd TD against the Pats. Playing a tough opponent at a crucial point of the game, Jordy broke through coverage and AR threw the perfect pass.

Defensive play of the year: Not sure. Probably Peppers pick 6 against Philly. Philly was hot at the time - after the Pack crushed them, they were never the same team.

Any other awards? Did I pick the wrong recipient?
Discuss

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about an award for the position group that significantly improved this season ? The Offensive Line !
We finally got an OL that protects our MVP-QB. Or am I wrong ?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Comeback POY - Morgan Burnett. He had a terrible season last year, but is back on track and showing why TT extended him in the first place. Not sure why the poor play last season, I think it was more than just trying to compensate for the poor play at the safety position next to him.

Defensive play of the year: Not sure. Probably Peppers pick 6 against Philly. Philly was hot at the time - after the Pack crushed them, they were never the same team.
As for Burnett, CPOY looks about right. As for why he had the bad season last year, I think the reason is obvious...he was playing next to a guy who was clueless. Having to adjust to a partner safety who is not consistently where he needs to be has the tendency to mute the instincts and generally make for a ball of confusion. With a couple of running mates who are decent in coverage, he gets more snaps playing closer to the LOS where his strengths lie.

For me the DPOY was Neal's hit on Brady on 3rd. and 9 on the Packer's 20 with the lead on the line. Neal shared the sack with Daniels, but it was Neal who made the initial contact.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MVP - Rodgers. No surprise here. Should be the league MVP as well. Anytime you toss 7 TDs per Int you are doing something right. And, to the best of my memory, 3 of those INTs were bounced off the hands of the WR. Only 2, I felt, where his fault. He never gets rattled and always leads his team. Cutler fans may discount the role of leadership in a QB, but I do not.

OMVP - Jordy. Suddenly getting lots of recognition for his work. I haven't hear the comparisons to other white WRs, and they just talk about what he can do. I think I heard one - "You wouldn't expect him to be so fast because of, well, he wasn't known for his speed in college." Glad we extended him, I think he took a small step forward this year. Tough to imagine as good as he was last year, that he got better, but he did.

DMVP - Claymaker. I wanted to give a surprise pick here, but Clay is it. His versatility with moving inside has really energized the whole defense.

ROY - Linsley. What an impact he has had in his rookie season. Center had lots of questions coming into the season, and who would have thought the answer could be found in the 4th round of a draft, supposedly very weak at Center?

Disappointing player of the year: Brad Jones. I was excited for this guy when he was a rookie. He showed surprising quickness; aggressiveness; and pass rush ability. It left an impression on me that never followed up with anything. Time to cut ties, I'm afraid. We need to feed the younger players game experience. I have little hope Jones will be much of anything.

Disappointing rookie of the year: Haha. Sorry Haha. I think you can be a very good player for us. I'm just disappointed in the missed tackles so far. He was such an hard hitting/good tackling safety in college, I expected to see the same. I can think of 4 or 5 great plays he could have made, but he didn't wrap up properly on the tackle. His coverage seems pretty good - a few mistakes - but all rookies make those errors.

Offensive play of the year: Jordy Nelson 45 yd TD against the Pats. Playing a tough opponent at a crucial point of the game, Jordy broke through coverage and AR threw the perfect pass.

Discuss
I concur wholeheartedly.
Nice piece of work.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not disappointed with Clinton-Dix at all. I agree he had too many missed tackles but he stabilized a position which was a huge problem for the team in 2013 by playing good coverage for a rookie safety and showing he's capable of supporting the run defense as well.

He'll have to work on some tackling fundamentals but other than that he'll be fine.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great list.

I might argue that Hawk, Mr. Dependability, was the disappointing player of the year. He fell hard and fast. Jones is a tough pick to disagree with while Boykin & Quarless should be in the discussion as well.

Special Teams Player of the Year: Still Jarrett Bush. A close second would be Crosby but the blocked kicks loom too large.

Somewhere there should be praise to Lacy for not succumbing to the sophomore slump.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great list.

I might argue that Hawk, Mr. Dependability, was the disappointing player of the year. He fell hard and fast. Jones is a tough pick to disagree with while Boykin & Quarless should be in the discussion as well.

Special Teams Player of the Year: Still Jarrett Bush. A close second would be Crosby but the blocked kicks loom too large.

Somewhere there should be praise to Lacy for not succumbing to the sophomore slump.
Jarret Bush is the clear cut special teams player of the year. He had a key block on Hyde's punt return TD and drew a holding penalty on a Detroit punt return. Jayrone Elliott has really been coming on as ST force the last half of the year also.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Discuss
I am totally with you on Brad Jones as disappointing player of the year. He is not capable of making the key play when you need and has an uncanny ability to get called for penalties at the most inoportune times. He didn't need to hit Stafford's face mask. He had plenty of time to pull up or hit him on the chest or shoulder. He also rolled up on Traman William's ankle injuring him. With all that being said he still hits harder and covers better than Hawk. I'm a little disappointed in HHCD but I'm much more disappointed in Carl Bradford.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm a little disappointed in HHCD but I'm much more disappointed in Carl Bradford.

After thinking about it once again I think Clinton-Dix is truly an odd choice for disappointing rookie of the year. First of all a lot of people tend to forget how hard it is for safeties to make an immediate impact, in addition I think Bradford and Goodson (who both didn't play a snap from scrimmage, Bradford not even on special teams) or Thornton (who was saved by an injury of being cut) would have been a way better choice.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on all but one award. Clinton-Dix was not disappointing, you are just expecting too much from a first round pick. This guy has one the starting job, and is already a lot better than the safeties we had last year!

I think Bradford or Thornton should "win" this award. Thortnton might have an excuse (his injury), but even before injury he did show nothing in practice. Bradford is just really really disappointing (honestly, I was very happy with this pick, boy was I wrong). Therefore I think that Bradford is the worst draft pick. By the way, Goodson was a bad pick as well, but he was just a sixth round pick.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on all but one award. Clinton-Dix was not disappointing, you are just expecting too much from a first round pick. This guy has one the starting job, and is already a lot better than the safeties we had last year!

I think Bradford or Thornton should "win" this award. Thortnton might have an excuse (his injury), but even before injury he did show nothing in practice. Bradford is just really really disappointing (honestly, I was very happy with this pick, boy was I wrong). Therefore I think that Bradford is the worst draft pick. By the way, Goodson was a bad pick as well, but he was just a sixth round pick.
Okay. Maybe I am a little harsh. I see the range and I think he will be a great one. Surprised though that he has missed as many tackles as he has.

Maybe I should have had Khyri Thornton. Word from camp was that he did not look anywhere near NFL caliber. You expect your 3rd round picks and above to make the team and play a role, even if only special teams, in their rookie seasons. If not for the IR option, he may have even been cut.

My surprise rookie was TE Rodgers. Aaron said he was the MVP of camp which got me excited. When he was drafted, the draft guides all said he would be a late pick and here we were taking him in the 3rd. He didn't do much most of the season, but seemed to be getting on the same page in the last few games. Future may be bright for this one.

D

Deleted member 6794

My surprise rookie was TE Rodgers. Aaron said he was the MVP of camp which got me excited. When he was drafted, the draft guides all said he would be a late pick and here we were taking him in the 3rd. He didn't do much most of the season, but seemed to be getting on the same page in the last few games. Future may be bright for this one.

Rodgers was impressive vs. the Lions, if he can keep that up he could turn into an important piece of the puzzle on how to beat the Seahawks.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Discuss

I think this is very good list.... I did not have high expectations for Brad Jones, so I do not consider him disappointment.

My Disappointing Player of the Year is another Jones - Datone Jones - I was figuring he would take a big step forward in his 2nd year and being overall #1 pick. IMO he did not have the impact I was hoping.

If there was a Surprising Player of the Year... I may go with Letroy Guion. I was not expecting much of anything from him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think this is very good list.... I did not have high expectations for Brad Jones, so I do not consider him disappointment.

My Disappointing Player of the Year is another Jones - Datone Jones - I was figuring he would take a big step forward in his 2nd year and being overall #1 pick. IMO he did not have the impact I was hoping.

If there was a Surprising Player of the Year... I may go with Letroy Guion. I was not expecting much of anything from him.

Datone's pass rush was actually pretty good in the limited snaps he got this season. His run defense was terrible. In addition it's disappointing for a first round pick to only played a third of the defensive snaps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts