2013 RB

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
RB:

Montee Ball, SR Wisc. Negatives: lacks size, lacks speed, inconsistent pad level, high mileage, sustained concussion in preseason altercation, production could be attributed to OL

Le'veon Bell, JR MIST. Negatives: High mileage, lacks speed, inconsistent pad level, recovering from knee injury

Stepfan Taylor, SR Stan. Negatives: Production could be attributed to OL

Ray Graham, JR Pitt. Negatives: Recovering from knee injury

Cierre Wood, SR Notre Dame. Negatives: Suspended first two games of the season

Joseph Randle, JR OKST. Eddie Lacy, JR Bama. Giovanni Bernard, SO UNC. Cameron Marshall, SR AZST. Silas Redd, JR USC.

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say go after Marcus Lattimore. The guy is a first round talent with first class character that will slip b/c of his injury. He could be available in the 3rd round. Lattimore is a physical runner, has great hands, is a good blocker, and is a very hard worker.

The only concern is his knee.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say go after Marcus Lattimore. The guy is a first round talent with first class character that will slip b/c of his injury. He could be available in the 3rd round. Lattimore is a physical runner, has great hands, is a good blocker, and is a very hard worker.

The only concern is his knee.
I think this would be a great risk/reward pick. It could be a terrible idea or a great one. I personally wouldn't hate the pick, but I think we have more pressing needs.

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this would be a great risk/reward pick. It could be a terrible idea or a great one. I personally wouldn't hate the pick, but I think we have more pressing needs.

I agree we have more concerns, but we can address those in the 1st & 2nd rounds. We'd be crazy not to take Lattimore if he's available in the 3rd round IMO. James Andrews has already said that Lattimore's recovery has been remarkable and Lattimore says he will be ready for 2013.

I work alongside the South Carolina High School League and do PBP broadcasts for the State Championships games for football. I first saw Marcus as a junior at Byrnes High School playing at Clemson's Death Valley. In that game he had 310 yds rushing. Afterwards I talked to the coaches about the kid and never did they talk about his talent, it was all about how great of a person he is and how much of a freak work habit he had.

Marcus goes to South Carolina and that same reputation follows him. Insanely hard worker, great character, strong figure in his church, and a fantastic locker room guy. This is a kid that used to spend hours in a local Gamecock Antique shop in town studying the history of South Carolina Football(how many kids do that these days?).

His injury issues is certainly a concern, but this kid will work his butt off to get back into shape and be better than ever. He's the short yardage, redzone back we need and would be great out of the backfield in the passing game. Plus, he is ahead of the game in his pass blocking skills.

If he stays healthy then he could become the steal of the draft. Health is a concern, but every RB has the potential for a short lifespan.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
My contention with Lattimore is scheme fit. Think he'd probably do better in a PMB. Seems like he'd be ready with only possibly some PUP time though.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB:

Montee Ball, SR Wisc. Negatives: lacks size, lacks speed, inconsistent pad level, high mileage, sustained concussion in preseason altercation, production could be attributed to OL

Le'veon Bell, JR MIST. Negatives: High mileage, lacks speed, inconsistent pad level, recovering from knee injury

Stepfan Taylor, SR Stan. Negatives: Production could be attributed to OL

Ray Graham, JR Pitt. Negatives: Recovering from knee injury

Cierre Wood, SR Notre Dame. Negatives: Suspended first two games of the season

Joseph Randle, JR OKST. Eddie Lacy, JR Bama. Giovanni Bernard, SO UNC. Cameron Marshall, SR AZST. Silas Redd, JR USC.

What kind of NFL player do you think Ball will be?

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He'll be at least solid 3 down starter behind a good OL, has some potential. NS cutback guy, has good size on paper but could easily pack on a few more lbs, good vision and enough power to run through arm tackles or drag an extra yard or so, plus has some small amount of wiggle to him. Patient but decisive, blitz pickup is good, and good hands to boot, fixed his pads. He'll be better than anybody we currently have, providing he can hit the holes in the NFL fast enough, though Harris and possibly Starks have better vision. I have him mid to early 3rd round

Also remember that list was made at the beginning of the saeson. Harris has emerged as the best pure runner on our team, and Green is a capable 3rd down back. To find a good compliment we need a big back who can take the pressure off Harris. Someone who blocks well and can fall down for 3 yards to change up the pace from Harris. Ball might be able to become that guy. Like Bell better for that role, same predication on hitting the hole fast enough though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly feel C. Wood will surprise some folks and for where I suspect he'll get drafted (last day of the draft) he will be the best bang for your "buck" on this list and well worth a look if there towards last day.

Reaction score
We need a premier back in this draft. One of our top 3 picks should be a RB. We need to get a number 1 runner in the depth chart. I like Dujuan Harris but he can't carry the load all season. I'd rather have him in a change of pace role.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dujuan Harris can be our MJD if given a chance. I wouldn't take a back high only because we need help on the dline and at linebacker. Maybe we can find a guy in the 4th round. It's time this team found the next Ahman Green

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree rodell in the aspect of not taking one high...although I'll be honest if we see one drop significant amount (ala Rodgers style) to us in any round I'd grab him. That said we're a passing team, built on winning with ARod's arm and that's not going to change. I'm a fan of grabbing 1 or 2 stud OL if possible, this shores up our passing protection, but better lineman typically means better running game you'd hope. I also would love it if we could grab a LB or two this draft as well. Flyers at the WR, TE or S/CB would be welcomed by me as well....I for some reason feel we will be grabbing a DL through FA to shore that up like you want...we do have some young talent there, Raji and I think Pickett is still useable.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ Even a pass first team still needs a solid threat with the running game, it helps a BUNCH to open up the field. Now that the Pats have that RB ridley, brady didn't take as much heat and he had a phenominal year and threw very few picks as well......considering how much the pats pass.......they had a real legit running threat, which we need. I say pick up a round 2 RB, best available, and let D. Harris and the rookie split carries. We need a true power runner threat......cause you know damn well our RB's drop like flies with the injury bug bitting the hell out of us year after year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ Even a pass first team still needs a solid threat with the running game, it helps a BUNCH to open up the field. Now that the Pats have that RB ridley, brady didn't take as much heat and he had a phenominal year and threw very few picks as well......considering how much the pats pass.......they had a real legit running threat, which we need. I say pick up a round 2 RB, best available, and let D. Harris and the rookie split carries. We need a true power runner threat......cause you know damn well our RB's drop like flies with the injury bug bitting the hell out of us year after year.

Very true...I still feel we'll probably take a flier around round 4 unless TT sees something happen he didn't expect.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
TT needs to pull out some mojo gusto and get us a freak RB.....how long has it been since we actually had a real RB, huh? Take the heat off Arod and get us a stud RB. We are the joke of the NFL with our **** poor run game that nobody has any respect for.....hell we can't even bust out a 100 yard rusher for Christ sakes....that in itself is a damn joke.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our #1 concern is a nose tackle. If there is a NT that we've graded top-20 on our board available at 26, we have to select him. Outside of that, I'd like to think we could pick up a value/talent WR in the first three rounds for insurance. If we lose one of Nelson/Cobb/Jones to injury, our passing offense could start to suffer badly.

As for running backs, I think we should target someone undersized with receiving skills that can assist the passing game a la Darren Sproles. Those guys don't typically get taken high because they can't be every-down backs, but they can contribute quite a bit to the success of a team. Other than that, I think I agree with others who think we should take a power back or perhaps a RB/FB hybrid who can catch. Kuhn's days are numbered, methinks, especially with his contract.

Either way, I don't think we'll be taking a RB until the 5th round or so, unless somebody falls (drastically) into our laps.

Members online

Latest posts