2013 Mock Draft Clearing House

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 2013 NFL draft about a month away, I wanted to open up a thread devoted to mock draft links.

Since the Packers primarily improve through the draft, I wanted to familiarize myself with more of the prospects we might be shopping and get some exposure to the websites, blogs, and other NFL content producers that you all are dialed into. Thanks in advance.

So here goes. Most of you have probably already seen PFT's first mock draft: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/pft-mock-draft-1-0/

OP
OP
jaybadger82

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this one and unless TT let's Finley go which I doubt, I'm not believing we take Eifert.

We might kick the tires on another TE in this year's draft. We lost Crabtree and I don't think the team is so enamored with Finley. Don't think that changes regardless of how JerMichael performs this year.

Let's hope for a big 2013 from Finley (contract year) but there's better pass-catching talent available through the draft to line up at TE. I would rather pay a second year player a fraction of the amount it would take to keep Finley after a strong 2013 campaign.

H

HardRightEdge

It's interesting to note that among the 7 analysts mocking the entire first round, 3 chose a safety and 2 chose a tight end.

I'm not sure if anybody posted MM's recent comments from the league meetings, but he's a lot more comfortable than many (including me) with the three young safeties competing for the spot next to Burnett. Based on these comments, I would rule out a safety in the first 2 rounds.

The 2 analysts choosing a TE must have believed Finley will not make the signing bonus cut. If we're to believe Finley's tweet, he's been told the Packers are honoring the bonus or he has a renegotiated deal.

Among MM's uncharacteristically candid comments was a particular concern with the left side of the O-Line, including skepticism about Sherrod's ability to play. This is a reprise of his earlier thoughts on perhaps moving Bulaga to LT.

A sixth NFL Network analyst went for an OLB. I doubt it. Perry will be given every chance to fail in 2013.

Brad Jones signing leads one to think he's penciled in to start and that MM will find a second ILB among the other 6 on the roster, injury question marks notwithstanding.

Connecting the dots, my current thought is that we'll be looking hardest at OT and D-Line for the first 2 rounds. A TB and WR depth in rounds 3 and 4 look like strong possibilities, though by the 4th. round you're likely to see BPA (other than QB).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that among the 7 analysts mocking the entire first round, 3 chose a safety and 2 chose a tight end.

I'm not sure if anybody posted MM's recent comments from the league meetings, but he's a lot more comfortable than many (including me) with the three young safeties competing for the spot next to Burnett. Based on these comments, I would rule out a safety in the first 2 rounds.

The 2 analysts choosing a TE must have believed Finley will not make the signing bonus cut. If we're to believe Finley's tweet, he's been told the Packers are honoring the bonus or he has a renegotiated deal.

Among MM's uncharacteristically candid comments was a particular concern with the left side of the O-Line, including skepticism about Sherrod's ability to play. This is a reprise of his earlier thoughts on perhaps moving Bulaga to LT.

A sixth NFL Network analyst went for an OLB. I doubt it. Perry will be given every chance to fail in 2013.

Brad Jones signing leads one to think he's penciled in to start and that MM will find a second ILB among the other 6 on the roster, injury question marks notwithstanding.

Connecting the dots, my current thought is that we'll be looking hardest at OT and D-Line for the first 2 rounds. A TB and WR depth in rounds 3 and 4 look like strong possibilities, though by the 4th. round you're likely to see BPA (other than QB).

I think he will go DL first. Agree he's going to wait on Perry. LT is the fly in the ointment here. As bad as we need a LT I'm tired of seeing us pick offensive linemen in the first round. But I wouldn't rule the position out.

H

HardRightEdge

I think he will go DL first. Agree he's going to wait on Perry. LT is the fly in the ointment here. As bad as we need a LT I'm tired of seeing us pick offensive linemen in the first round. But I wouldn't rule the position out.

With Pickett's contract up after 2013, and Raji as well given that 2014 is voidable, I think we'll be looking hard at a NT or NT/DE hybrid in the first two rounds.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With Pickett's contract up after 2013, and Raji as well given that 2014 is voidable, I think we'll be looking hard at a NT or NT/DE hybrid in the first two rounds.
Voidable by who and under what conditions? Because I sincerely doubt the club voids it.

H

HardRightEdge

Numerous news sources are reporting that 2013 is effectively the last year of Raji's contact because 2014 is voidable. One would assume these statements are being made because the option is either Raji's or open to either party.

By the by, I'm now reading that Rodgers, Matthews AND Raji share the same agent. That must make for some interesting discussions.

OP
OP
jaybadger82

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the by, I'm now reading that Rodgers, Matthews AND Raji share the same agent. That must make for some interesting discussions.

Seems like a conflict of interest if that agent is an attorney.

If I were Rodgers, Matthews or Raji I might be looking around for an agent with a more independent perspective in terms of representing my interests.

H

HardRightEdge

Seems like a conflict of interest if that agent is an attorney.

At worst, it seems like a conflict of interest regardless of whether he's an attorney. At best, it would seem to be a mess. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be the low man on that 3-man totem pole.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
At worst, it seems like a conflict of interest regardless of whether he's an attorney. At best, it would seem to be a mess. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be the low man on that 3-man totem pole.
Bulk bargain? All 3 for 40 Mil? Rodgers 22, Clay 11, Raji 7?

OP
OP
jaybadger82

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes- I only mention it in the context of attorneys because many athlete agents are attorneys and attorneys must operate within certain professional rules of conduct, specifically, MRPC 1.7. Violation(s) can lead to disbarment.

Assuming the agent is an attorney, Rodgers, Matthews and Raji have presumably given informed consent for this character to conduct simultaneous contract negotiations with the same organization. In a word: stupid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts