1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

2012: Politics

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by FrankRizzo, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Not sure if we can discuss this crap or not.
    I don't really like politics. I think both sides are mostly corrupt, and so are those in between, Independents.
    I respect Independents because IMO, by definition, they are allowed to freely think/vote/speak/believe what they really want to instead of following their party line.

That being said, listening to both Fox News and CNN, and the 3 mainstream nightly news today, it's the Republicans who are trying to battle it out and get their top candidate to rise to the top.

The funny little Iowa straw poll is tonight, but Romney and Gingrich, and not-yet-declared Rick Perry aren't even "playing" really in this.

That being said, I saw Bill O'Reilly and he and his guests are just assuming that because our country is in economic ruins and getting into more and more debt by the second at record-levels to China, etc. that Obama is toast. They think whoever wins the Republican (GOP) nomination will beat the Democrat (DFL) Obama.

I don't know about that. I realize that McCain actually had more votes for him than Obama in 2008, but Obama won the right areas and I think it would be the same again because all of these GOP candidates have their "warts".

Sure, Obama had a few big ugly warts too, but America overlook those and I don't see it changing.

My questions are this:
    Do you think Hilary Clinton has the best chance to beat Obama? I never hear anyone talking about that. Why?

Also, if you wanted/want the GOP to beat Obama, what do you think is the strongest ticket among:

-Mitt Romney
    -Gov Rick Perry
    -Michelle Bachman
    -Newt Gingrich
    -Tim Pawlenty
    -Ron Paul
    -Herman Cain

Each person has some good things without question. If you could combine each's best attributes, you'd have the best President ever, perhaps. But you can't do that.

Romney and Perry have the business/jobs in their favor. I think Romney speaks well, has poise. But people don't like him much, and the Mormonism bothers a lot of people too for some reason.

Perry is not that well known outside of the south here.... same with Pawlenty the opposite way. Neither guy has much charisma (which Obama does).

Gingrich can speak as well as Obama, but he has so many warts he's easy to rip apart and the critics will kill him. I think he's smarter than hell. but has no chance and a lot of people dislike him period.

Bachman doesn't have a long track record (of course neither did Obama). She's a Christian, but has supported a church that has anti-Catholic, radical views. Of course, that doesn't mean she is anti-Catholic, just as Obama listening to a racist, anti-American pastor (Rev Wright) for 20 years didn't say that about Obama either.

Ron Paul is way too weird, even though he will do well in Iowa.

Nobody knows Herman Cain, but he has a good background. He's black. I think whoever wins the nomination should choose him as their running-mate.
    Why?

Well, he has a pretty good resume, but he also will take a lot of the black vote that otherwise will automatically go for Obama. That will win some key areas and help win some states.
    I think. 99% of blacks voted for Barack last time NOT because of his great track record. It was solely for his color. They will do the same again regardless of the economy. But if there's a brother on the other ticket, and they are fed up with the economy, a lot of them will vote for the other brother.
    I think.

Who else has opinions here?
    I'm no expert here at all, like I am football, tennis and golf !
    Politics usually makes me ill, but so does the way our country is so I think it's "importanter" now.......

PS, when is the next election?
    Is it this November? Or next year?

2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Here's what I think based on the 2008 campaign:
    I ended up voting for I'll-Bomb-Ya.
    Usually I vote third party but I made a regrettable exception for him.
    Like everyone else who voted for him, I too was fed up with 8 years of Dumbya and the republicrat ways.
    I got suckered in by his claims of "Hope" and "Change" and "Yes we can."
    At last! A liberal I could feel good voting for!
    I like to think that I'll-Bomb-Ya's intentions were good.
    But I think that the candidate who has never been in the Oval Office is very naive. He thinks he can do all these things but once he gets in there he finds out he can't because he has to follow the old way of doing things.
    It would be like an armchair QB. He thinks he can do better than the one he is watching. The coach calls him up, flies him to the next game without any practice and puts him out there cold. He gets in the huddle and just says "Get open guys. I'll get the ball to you. I promise"
    And every time the ball is hiked he gets sacked, fumbles or intercepted.
    If the Prez. tries to do something new, he may face consequences. Worst one would be to get shot. Like JFK.
    That's why, I believe, I'll-Bomb-Ya hasn't been assassinated. He's doing the bidding of those who are really in power. Defense contractors, corporations and others.
    So I don't trust any of the candidates. They speak a good game but once they get in there, how are they going to do what they said they would?
    I'm either going to go back to voting 3rd party or not vote at all.

The next presidential election for America is November 2012. God help us whoever wins.

3. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Politics are Politics. They always have been and they always will be. Doesn't matter is you are a Republican, Democrat, Independant, Progressive, Conserative or out there on the crazy fringe. To get elected you have to tell people what they want to hear. Americans don't elect people who tell them the hard truth about things. So you get people who tell the electorate what they want to hear.

Too many people vote without fully informing themselves about issues and events. They get all thier information from tv or radio personalites how are hawking there particular agenda to make ratings. Even worse are the ones who make thier decisions off of 30 second commercials. If your not of this world then don't vote.

Right now we are in an era where the electorate has become polarized. Almost a 50/50 split. People have lost Civility and no longer want to hear a good debate on issues. They make lists, and pictures with monkey faces instead of focusing on what is best for the country as a whole. We have digressed back to the era when our democracy was young. check out this article

Founding Fathers' dirty campaign - CNN

• Like Like x 1
  4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    :banging:

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    Dear mods, please ban politics.

• Like Like x 2
  6. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    ivo, I love the understated simplicity of so many of your posts. :good:

• Like Like x 1
  7. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Please.

8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    That's right. We vote for an image. Which one looks and sounds the best.

9. CarolinaPackerFan

CarolinaPackerFan Packers fan in Panthers country

Ratings:
    +52
    Ron Paul 2012!

Vote for the guy with the best brains, not the guy who looks like the best president.

10. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I'd say A-Rod, or TT, or MM for President, but we and they are better off where they are.

11. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339

I'm Begging.

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    Robdog,

could you address our concerns on this topic? It seems like a decent amount of users dont want politics on the forum. And personally, since its a sports site I dont see the benefit of it. If anything it might scare away posters.

13. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339
    Its cumbersome and divisive. There are plenty of political forums to argue on. Politics are not like sports. You can't back your argument up with statistics. You are never going to argue someone off their political opinions, which is why talking about it is a mute point. This is a sports forum. Lets keep it that way.

14. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Sorry it took me so long to see it.

Yeah, sorry folks, but we've gone through this with Rob, and political discussions on this site aren't allowed anywhere. So I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.