2012 Draft - Round 4, Pick 38, Overall 133 - Jeron McMillian, SS, Maine

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knew the packers were interested in him... they brought him in for a predraft visit... Surprised he was the pick in the 4th... for what it's worth kiper said he was his #8 safety on his board and thought he was a 4-5 round pick

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SCOUTING REPORT:
From NFL.com:
STRENGTHS McMillian brings a physical presence to the back end of the defense, reacts to passes well and can force his body hard in one direction to make a play toward the ball, much like he does in his reactions to the run. He is quick to diagnose run and pass, and reacts to the run much better coming toward the line of scrimmage than he does moving away. McMillian is NFL-ready in supporting the run.
WEAKNESSES McMillian can struggle in some of his transitional movements when playing the pass. He looks to support the run first and this can get him to bite at times.
From Milwaukee JS:
The 5-11, 203-pound McMillian ran the 40-yard dash in an impressive 4.56 seconds at the scouting combine and had the third best vertical leap of any strong safety at 36 inches. He was second worst among his peers in the bench press at 17 reps at 225 pounds.
COMMENTARY:
Ted Thompson continues to focus on defense and grabs a safety. With Nick Collins out of Green Bay, the Packers need to find a safety to pair with Morgan Burnett.

From: http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2012/04/28/packers-2012-nfl-draft-fourth-round-pick-jeron-mcmillian-s-maine/

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impressive measureables, but don't know much about him. Odds are this is the pick that we will be loving a year from now.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great run stopper. Had an incident off the field a year and a half ago with some cops, here it is explained: According to Ewing, Orono police Sgt. Scott LaJoie was in the parking lot of the Park Street restaurant and dance club, formerly known as 103 Ultra Lounge, about 1:35 a.m. when he spotted what appeared to be a confrontation and called for backup. Officers Stephen Marko, Derek Dinsmore and Daniel Merrill came to assist, he said.

When LaJoie approached the area where the argument was going on, he saw two males arguing, one of them with blood on his face and the other later identified as McMillian, Ewing said.

Ewing said the man with blood on his face later told officers that McMillian had not assaulted him and refused to press charges.

As LaJoie began to question the man, McMillian walked away, Ewing said.

“He didn’t even stop,” Ewing said. When Marko stepped in front of McMillian in an attempt to stop him, McMillian pulled away and began screaming at the officer. Despite a warning for disorderly conduct, the athlete allegedly continued misbehaving, swatting at and pushing Marko after he was informed he was being placed under arrest.

Officers then said they would use a Taser to subdue him if they had to and McMillian dropped to the ground and put his hands behind his back, Ewing said.

But the incident reportedly did not end there.

After Dinsmore had one of McMillian’s hands cuffed, the athlete allegedly rolled over and stood up quickly, pushing Dinsmore and hitting him in the head. Dinsmore suffered a cut under his eye but did not require medical treatment.

McMillian took off running, Ewing said. LaJoie then arrested him after he slipped on the wet grass and fell, Ewing said.

Patrick Lane

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Markelle Martin or Antonio Allen would have been better here, especially value wise. We could have gotten McMillan in FA. Oh well, in TT I trust.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Markelle Martin or Antonio Allen would have been better here, especially value wise. We could have gotten McMillan in FA. Oh well, in TT I trust.

He would probably wear a different shade of green had we done that. The two other Jersey Natives I've seen on this forum, particularly the one from SJ will understand all too well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
jsonline had a story on him yesterday. It starts by saying he got an email invitation to the combine and didn't believe it so he called to confirm it. Here's a quote from the article:
"He'll try to kill you. He'll try to take you out," said Steven Vashel, McMillian's defensive backs coach who is now at Yale. "He's that type of a physical player. He has a good knack for pass rush. He's always trying to anticipate the play. He'll see it and he'll attack it. He really got better at that these past two years. He became a student of the game."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-hope-mcmillian-cures-safety-issues-4s57ias-149598785.html

Like I said, maybe Williams and Shields will resume their 2010 play and Hayward and/or House will force their way onto the field. If that's the case, maybe Woodson belongs at safety. I just hope Capers and staff have a legit option at the safety spot opposite Burnett if that's not the case.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody have tape on this guy?

All the tape I could find online, so I will give everyone my first hand analysis as I went to college with Jerron, spoke to him several times in school and have friends who are close with him as well:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Guy is a beast. Hard worker, really nice guy, improved tremendously from his sophomore through senior year.

Coverage ability got a lot better as a junior, didn't get to see him too much his senior year, but he was the anchor to a solid d for my Alma Mater JR and SR seasons. Big hitting safety, reads plays well. Great against stopping the run, and he didn't miss many tackles in college. I can honestly say that after seeing him live at UMO for three years every weekend we had a home game; I think he will make the transition to the starting safety for GB. Coverage ability could use some work, a little stiff in upfield movement but he continuously got better through his collegiate career. Typical small school prospect no one knew too much about. His Pro Day 40 certainly opened my eyes. I was hoping GB would take him after a friend of mine who knows him personally texted me saying he had an interview at Lambeau.

Completely shut down Quick from App St. with Trevor Coston (CHI) in FCS playoffs. Quick was a top rated WR. I am incredibly happy GB drafted him and I think we got a real solid prospect for the future that may be able to contribute immediately on ST or situational downs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts