2012 Draft - Round 2, Pick 30, Overall 62 - Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Last year the secondary really shifted to more zone. Hayward is a zone CB. Wonder if this reflects a permanent shift in our scheme. I prefer bump and run in a pass heavy league. More disruptive.

Edit: I'm seeing reports that the Packers plan to use him at CB...
They announced him as a DB, so I'd assume they are toying with the idea of cross training, but still want to try him at corner. Quite frankly, with that speed, all I can ever see him being is a :poop:Peprah like liability or a Bush STer

jza80dreams

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the way he plays, I would love to see him try out the Free Safety position. another 10-15lbs and i think he'd be beefier/ more of a safety size. hopefully it doesnt slow him down.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
the way he plays, I would love to see him try out the Free Safety position. another 10-15lbs and i think he'd be beefier/ more of a safety size. hopefully it doesn't slow him down.
For the record His combine weight was 192, where he lost 7 lbs to 185 I don't know, but that could be a reason for his trash 40, or on the less bright side, he's already slightly big enough to play safety. PFW questions his tackling

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Not sure how Hayward fits? He is a zone cover guy... And, Is he really slower than Perry in the 40?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not sure how Hayward fits? He is a zone cover guy... And, Is he really slower than Perry in the 40?
After further research, nobody seems to agree on this guys 40. Its either 4.53 or 4.57. He had a run of 4.67, but he also has a run of 4.45. His tape suggests he is mid 4.5's though so we'll average and say 4.55.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was almost positive we were trading up for CB/S Trumaine Johnson, this pick kind of surprised me.. Johnson has better size, speed and broad jump and can put recievers on an island. Obviously TT knows more than myself though so I'll just shut up and let him work his magic:)

Haywards ball hawking skills and aggressive play at the line make me think he will hopefully be molded into the next C.Wood

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was almost positive we were trading up for CB/S Trumaine Johnson, this pick kind of surprised me.. Johnson has better size, speed and broad jump and can put recievers on an island. Obviously TT knows more than myself though so I'll just shut up and let him work his magic:)

Haywards ball hawking skills and aggressive play at the line make me think he will hopefully be molded into the next C.Wood
And I thought I was overly optimistic!

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haywards ball hawking skills and aggressive play at the line make me think he will HOPEFULLY be molded into the next C.Wood

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has decently soft hands. Doesnt seem to be caught too far out of position when hes not asked to play real tight man to man. I like having him on the field more than I like seeing Jarret Bush on defense, and hell I havent even seen the guy play in the NFL. His tackling looks good in a highlight reel, but that same footage isnt going to show how many guys jumped over or simple ran over his dives at their ankles. Im not in love with this pick, but I dont dislike it either

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
lol reports are that the Colts wanted to get Casey. Packers got him first.

Chuck Pagano is very high on him.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really reminds me of a slower Sam Shields. Still has a quick first step though. We haven't seen the ball-hawkiness yet, but that only comes with consistent playing time and getting thrown at. Has really surprised me with his coverage. Glad we kapt him at CB and didn't rush him along his rookie year. I feel he's mentally better suited there.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's weird to me how Tramon Williams is supposed to be faster than Heyward and yet Heyward covers guys so much tighter. That's even true of Shields to a much lesser extent. I'm very happy with this pick 1 year later. :)