2012 Draft - Round 1, Pick 28, Overall 28 - Nick Perry, DE, USC

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was rooting for Upshaw at the time, but I think that Perry is very intriguing. My thinking was that Upshaw had an attitude that could help our defense. Perry sounds like an amazing athlete and a good teammate. I'm sure that Dom and Greene are going to be able to do something good with him. I think TT pulled another one over on NE who jumped in front of us for two other LBers.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If he can fix his off-field issues learn to play coverage and find some motivation/consistency he could be something extraordinary. otherwise he becomes Walden, Neal, or Hawk.

I was rooting for Upshaw at the time, but I think that Perry is very intriguing. My thinking was that Upshaw had an attitude that could help our defense. Perry sounds like an amazing athlete and a good teammate. I'm sure that Dom and Greene are going to be able to do something good with him. I think TT pulled another one over on NE who jumped in front of us for two other LBers.
More like da Bears

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I hope he does a good job, glad we picked on the defensive side of the game this year. Though I still think our o-line needs help, our d needed it more.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From before the draft on Perry:

3. NICK PERRY Southern California 6-2½ 270 4.58 1-2 Added 15 to 20 pounds in the last year and many teams now view him as a 4-3 DE. "He's got some pop in his body, that explosiveness that you look for," one scout said.

"Got a lot of potential as a rusher. If you're betting on the come with any of these (rushers), this would be the guy to do it with. From what I know, he's an OK kid."

Came out of inner city Detroit, where he attended two high schools. "Clay Matthews played off the line and this guy plays down on the line," another scout said. "He's tall and linear built. Yeah, he can rush the passer.

"He wore out Stanford junior (LT Jonathan Martin)." Finished with 103 tackles (29½ for loss) and 21½ sacks, including 13½ in '11. "He's the kid from Ohio State (Vernon Gholston)," a third scout said. "Buyer beware there. He's a good athlete that, let's just say, is a little soft."
Don't like to see him compared to Vernon Gholston that's for sure.
Teddy seems to know the difference between guys like that though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listened to TT and Capers press conference after the 1st round and I'm feeling better now. Hoping we get Derek Wolfe in the 2nd to help out our DL
Wolfe is the one guy I want the most in round 2 as well.
Or Jared Crick as I think he has Justin Smith passion and ability.

Hard to believe Courtney Upshaw was not even a 1st round pick.
Alabama had 3 others go round 1, and Upshaw was their best player on defense, the MVP of the Title game shutdown beatdown of LSU.

Want Reyes, Worthy, Still, Wolfe, or Crick in round 2.
Trade a few picks to get up and get Worthy or Still.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
DRAFT ANALYSIS:
Mayock's take: "They're looking for an edge presence across from Clay Matthews, and this kids game film ran hot and cold. When he was good, he was really good. He can stick his hand in the dirt and pas rush. But the problem is that he disappeared at times. If they can get him to play at a consistent level every snap, they're going to have something."

OVERVIEW

Many teams will consider drafting Perry as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. As a sophomore and junior at USC he developed into an elite pass-rushing prospect, and has the size and athletic ability to be successful working against NFL tackles. He has late first-round value.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Perry has a very strong base and balance that helps him keep momentum toward the backfield regardless of his initial move. Perry plays with good leverage and surprising athleticism for his size. He has a good burst off the ball and a natural feel for disrupting plays. He chases laterally down the line well and is a sound tackler when he reaches the ball. He has fluid hips and feet in the open field. He will be reliable even as a rookie to set the edge and defend the run with strength.

WEAKNESSES Perry can get tied up on double teams and has trouble in a tight area. This would bode well for a move to outside backer, where he can rush with more space. It remains to be seen if Perry can cover in the flat. He's a thick player but still a bit of a positional tweener, and doesn't quite have the strength of most defenders his size.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can fix his off-field issues learn to play coverage and find some motivation he could be something extraordinary.

More like da Bears
What are his off-field issues? I havent seen any listed.

From PFW:

Looks chiseled from granite and is a physical specimen (bench-pressed 225 pounds 35 times at the Combine). Explosive athlete — boasts a 381⁄2-inch vertical leap and broad jump of 10 feet 4 inches

. Features a long, sudden first step and explosive upfield burst (see Stanford). Flexible to dip, bend and shave the corner. Very quick-handed. Terrific balance body control. Recorded 10-yard split times (1.51

seconds) faster than several cornerbacks at the Combine.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is a real athlete and his pass rushing abilities are not in doubt. The big question is whether he can make the transition to OLB.

I like the pick. I'd take Perry over several other LB/DL picks other teams made ahead of the Pack.

If we could trade up and get Worthy in round 2 I'd be ticked pink. Reyes and Wolfe also would be nice 2nd round picks.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PLAYERS
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Nick Perry
Green Bay Packers
Round 1, Pick 28
Position: OLB
Class: Jr
School: USC
HT: 6'2½"
WT: 250 lbs.
40 Time: 4.56
Conference: Pac-12
Biography: Two-year starter at defensive end who totaled 54 tackles/13 tackles for loss/9.5 sacks as a junior after posting sophomore totals of 25/7.5/4.

Positives: Explosive defensive prospect with a developing game. Incredibly athletic, easily moves about the field and rarely knocked off his feet. Breaks down well, possesses solid first-step quickness and fires off the snap of the ball. Plays with good pad level, works his hands to protect himself and plays to his forty time. Quick off the edge, fast up the field and can bend or alter his angle of attack to get to the quarterback. Displays outstanding movement skills, covers a lot of area on the field and makes a lot of athletic plays. Wedges between blocks to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Occasionally stood up over tackle and remains disciplined with assignments besides showing the ability to rush the quarterback.

Negatives: Struggles getting off blocks and even gets handled by tight ends. Not stout at the point of attack defending the run. Played less than his combine weight of 271 pounds.

Analysis: Perry comes off a terrific junior campaign and was dominant during his combine workout. He possesses all the physical skills necessary to make an impact at the next level, and, to his credit, Perry displayed improved instincts last year. He comes with a huge amount of upside and can help a team at several positions in the defensive front seven if coached properly.

Projection: 1st

Ric Tapia/Icon SMI

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/80572.html#ixzz1tDDcyhNn

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is mostly against a solid LT prospect in Jonathan Martin, who will go in the 2nd round tomorrow and could have been a 1st rounder.
Note the very first play.... Perry flushes Luck out of the pocket.
On the Packers, that flush would most likely be right into this:

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel really good about this pick! Clay on one side, Perry on the other. Raji in the middle and Francios out in coverage. Then, of course, Woodson gets a pick six. Woooot!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This is mostly against a solid LT prospect in Jonathan Martin, who will go in the 2nd round tomorrow and could have been a 1st rounder.
Note the very first play.... Perry flushes Luck out of the pocket.
On the Packers, that flush would most likely be right into this:

Hey, a preview of the flush when the Packers go to Indy next year. We see the future on this forum.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He’s certainly a physical specimen as Thompson says and I like the fact he actually produced in a major college conference, particularly rushing the QB. These negatives are from a press gazette article: … but there are questions about his passion for the game. “I think he’s a dog,” the scout said. “Nick Perry is one of those guys you don’t know what you’re going to get; he’s overrated. I don’t think he’s a first-rounder. Has first-round talent and ability, just doesn’t put it together on a consistent basis, and it’s not because he lacks anything. He doesn’t lack athleticism, he doesn’t lack the size, it’s a desire thing with him. He doesn’t show up.”

I trust Thompson and company did their due diligence on him and I hope Kevin Greene is enthusiastic about this pick. If this analysis is correct all Perry needs is motivation.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's always a danger when scouts extend their analyses too far into a psychological profile of a player. Yes, when you have off-the-field issues that's one thing, but motivation is something that comes and goes in very many careers and can change a lot with a new team and a new situation.

I haven't seen anything about Perry having an attitude.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn like either of them; neither name was real popular around here from what I saw

It seemed like Mercilus had his fans. I was responding to the comment below.

I am fine with the Nick Perry pick but I really wanted TT to trade up to get Mercilus. We don't have a ton of needs and need to get the best players we can with as many picks as we have to trade. Jason Wilde posted quotes from Nick Perry (from the combine) on his twitter and they were basically saying he wanted to stay with his hand in the dirt and the further he moves from what he did in college it will make him uneasy. Not ideally what you want to hear but i am sure the packers did their research.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What jersey number will Brother Nick wear?
#56 like the last Nick wore? Did anyone take that last year after Barnett was sent packing?

Members online

Latest posts