olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok I am looking at 2011 because I don't think the Pack are looking at 2010 to be their year to compete for a Super bowl.

We needed to improve on our lines Before we could compete and that is what we did so far this off season. I believe that next year we will look to replace anyone that dose not work out this year in the draft.

We have some young players drafted in the passed at Lb and in our Secondary so we did not draft to replace them this year to see what they could do. But next year we will be addressing those needs as they don't work out for the future.

We just had to see how they would do this year healthy before we replace them. Changing the entire defense was never expected to take only one year.

We drafted offensives players and defensive players to fit our team this year no mater how the young players we drafted in the past preform this year.

This year we had the opportunity to improve just about any position we wanted to with the the exception of QB, No. 1 Receiver and No. 1 CB.

We choose the line since they are the corner stone of the team and they can be the most difficult to replace after your team is good and does not have a high draft pick.

I have confidence that we will continue to address needs as needed until we win that SB.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree w. the second post.
We can knock off any NFC team RIGHT NOW...
I'm not sure about 2 or 3 AFC teams though, especially the Colts

I'm thinking 12-4 or 13-3 (Jets,Pats,Falcons = L's imho)
w. a good run deep into this years playoffs...

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am confident that we could go 14-2, possibly 15-1. The Jet's will be tough as hell, but their passing game isn't as much of a threat as Brady's Patriots, who, I think would tear our secondary up.
Who knows though, it's wayyy too early to tell at this point; I just hope our rookies pan out to give us some production i.e. Wilson/Neal helping with the pass rush, and Burnett 'hawking' in the backfield. I think this years draft will help us out more than most people think.

Reaction score
I agree with post 2 and most of three lol I think are team is gonna be better than last year by leaps and bounds. Our O line should be more solid all around giving Rodgers a chance to make a legit run at single season yards and tds records. With our receiving corps 80, 85 and 88 we will pass all over defenses. Add in Grant with Starks possibly contributing our run game should be pretty solid. Also a year with our D getting better and our injured players getting better we have a legit Superbowl run in us. Go Pack Go

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great thread olwig. I can definitely see where you're coming from in that we made some good improvements to our team but not GREAT ones. Of course we didn't address OLB and CB but there is so much that you really need to do in order to put your team over the top. It's impossible to upgrade your most needed positions in just 1 offseason. However if you can address at least some of the weak points you have what it takes to bring home a championship. IMO TT did just fine this offseason to do just that. Our team didn't really need any starters brought in but quality depth to help out the starters.

What I'm curious about is how we approach the 2011 offseason. Simply put I'm concerned about 3 key players: Charles Woodson, Al Harris and Cullen Jenkins. Let's say we do bring home a lombardi trophy next season, there are usually some veterans who decide to hang it up once getting a ring. Will Woodson and Harris succumb to such emotion? I understand both these guys are the most competitive players on our team but age is a matter of catching up with them. These guys simply cannot be replaced with 3rd or 4th round scrubs but genuine 1st round talent. This is why I felt like even if we had drafted a CB this year, we'd have to spend a high picl next year on one anyway.

Now onto Jenkins. His contract is definitely expiring next season and it's tougj tp guess what he'll do. 3-4 DEs normally don't get large contract extensions so I'm guessong he'll be the front runner for the franchise tag. I know we have Neal and Wilson in the waiting but my gut tells me that at least 1 of those two won't pan out. Jenkins could very well return or find a better home elswhere.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll only know when we hit the field. CM3 wasn't supposed to contribute right away. Jones supposedly needed 2 years to make some kind of impact. Not to mention Lang, Johnson...

For all I know, Burnett could be the difference maker. So could Neal...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
This year we had the opportunity to improve just about any position we wanted to with the the exception of QB, No. 1 Receiver and No. 1 CB.

I would throw in No. 2 CB as well, I mean Woodson DID get DPoY man...

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Although we have a good team right now, and only hope that we season better with age. I don't think last season was a fluke, we corrected a lot of mistakes in the 2008 season, and in 2009 we improved immensely, but I think the 2011 season will be the most competitive and this season is the one to look forward too. As a friend and I have discussed to no end that the Lions and Bears are catching up competitively and the Vikings probably won't slouch all that much by then.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with post one. We do need to see if we can upgrade in the linebacking core. I think Des Bishop scares everyone on the forum. As far as when we'll contend for a superbowl, and I'm NOT harping or smack-talking when I say this: We won't compete until Aaron shows on a consistent basis he can get the job done in the final 2 minutes of a game. Until then we're a wildcard team.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I am confident that we could go 14-2, possibly 15-1. The Jet's will be tough as hell, but their passing game isn't as much of a threat as Brady's Patriots, who, I think would tear our secondary up.
Who knows though, it's wayyy too early to tell at this point; I just hope our rookies pan out to give us some production i.e. Wilson/Neal helping with the pass rush, and Burnett 'hawking' in the backfield. I think this years draft will help us out more than most people think.
Expecting a team to go 14-2 or 15-1 is incredibly unrealistic. That doesn't happen often. Especially 15-1. I would expect 12-4/11-5 this year and be pleasantly surprised if we go 13-3. I don't think there's any way we get to 14 or 15 wins. That's a bit ridiculous.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expecting a team to go 14-2 or 15-1 is incredibly unrealistic. That doesn't happen often. Especially 15-1. I would expect 12-4/11-5 this year and be pleasantly surprised if we go 13-3. I don't think there's any way we get to 14 or 15 wins. That's a bit ridiculous.
Im not saying we will, I'm saying we COULD. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but whats wrong with that :)
We could have easily went 13-3 if it weren't for a couple of stupid plays. And this year, I believe we will be much better considering we will have another year under our belt in the 3-4. Last year we were top 3 in defense in our FIRST year in the 3-4... We'll see what happens

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I agree olwig, TT could have gone out and gotten a CB and a passrusher, and everyone would have said oh now were gonna win a super bowl, But i'm not so sure thats how it works. We bolstered both of our Lines which is the strength of any team. If we can now protect A-rod, and get after the QB more I think the other positions of need become easier to fill next year.(such as CB RB LB) Now we have a Strong foundation on which to build.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, teams don't think about competing for the Super Bowl THE NEXT YEAR unless they are in a total rebuilding process.

We have a team built to win now, and believe the team thinks we can win the Super Bowl this year, and I agree. This is professional sports people, ask every player on every team and they will all say the same, we play to win the super bowl THIS YEAR. None of this next year bull crap. And I can guarantee that the pride of the organizations leaders think he same.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with post one. We do need to see if we can upgrade in the linebacking core. I think Des Bishop scares everyone on the forum. As far as when we'll contend for a superbowl, and I'm NOT harping or smack-talking when I say this: We won't compete until Aaron shows on a consistent basis he can get the job done in the final 2 minutes of a game. Until then we're a wildcard team.

I think Rodgers has done fine in the limited time he has in the playoffs. I was really bummed that his first playoff pass was an INT but I'll let it slide considering D. Lee ran the wrong route.

However I will say this about Rodgers, he isn't a perfect QB and never will be. Every QB has his own unique flaw. P. Manning gets a little impatient sometimes, Brees likes to gamble by throwing into tight windows, and Brady likes to play it a little too safe from time to time. For Rodgers I think we all know what his problem is, he likes to hold onto the ball for quite some time. Everyone says that it's correctable by getting more and more experience. However Rodgers was known for holding the ball too long even during his college days in Cal and after coming into the NFL. Now this IS NOT necessarily a bad thing. You just need to adjust your gameplan around your QB's strengths and weaknesses. If your QB needs more time, you give it to him. If he needs to read the routes once the play is called, you teach your recievers to be better route runners. And if he needs to dump it off from time to time, you playcall those routes. IMO up till this draft the packers have just that. Rodgers should have no problem next year, but like I said he ain't no perfect QB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers has done fine in the limited time he has in the playoffs. I was really bummed that his first playoff pass was an INT but I'll let it slide considering D. Lee ran the wrong route.

However I will say this about Rodgers, he isn't a perfect QB and never will be. Every QB has his own unique flaw. P. Manning gets a little impatient sometimes, Brees likes to gamble by throwing into tight windows, and Brady likes to play it a little too safe from time to time. For Rodgers I think we all know what his problem is, he likes to hold onto the ball for quite some time. Everyone says that it's correctable by getting more and more experience. However Rodgers was known for holding the ball too long even during his college days in Cal and after coming into the NFL. Now this IS NOT necessarily a bad thing. You just need to adjust your gameplan around your QB's strengths and weaknesses. If your QB needs more time, you give it to him. If he needs to read the routes once the play is called, you teach your recievers to be better route runners. And if he needs to dump it off from time to time, you playcall those routes. IMO up till this draft the packers have just that. Rodgers should have no problem next year, but like I said he ain't no perfect QB.
This.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Arod is close to competing for MVP with a little help from his line. He DOES hold the ball, but he makes a lot of plays by not throwing the first checkdown as well. He can move his feet, which has gotten him out of a lot of hurt and trouble in the past.

I dont see us as a lock to get to the SB, but thats due to me being a pessimist and not wanting to jinx a good team that CAN be great at times.

2011 is no different then 2010 IMO. We have the talent NOW, and CWood and AHarris are getting no younger. With each year comes a new hole that needs plugged, and I think for the last 3 we have had many of the pieces needed to make a run. Remember that nobody is a lock, all they can do is set themselves in the right spot to make that run.

We are there now, we were there last year, but this is a young team that ebbs and flows with the tide of the team at a given moment. With a little rough and raw nerve from the hard losses last season (both MN games to "Him", Pitts game, Bucs game, and OT loss to AZ) I think this team will come back HUNGRY as hell, and I think we will not be seeing those kinds of losses for much longer.

That kind of bitter taste will change a man, and can change a team.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Arod is close to competing for MVP with a little help from his line. He DOES hold the ball, but he makes a lot of plays by not throwing the first checkdown as well. He can move his feet, which has gotten him out of a lot of hurt and trouble in the past.

I dont see us as a lock to get to the SB, but thats due to me being a pessimist and not wanting to jinx a good team that CAN be great at times.

2011 is no different then 2010 IMO. We have the talent NOW, and CWood and AHarris are getting no younger. With each year comes a new hole that needs plugged, and I think for the last 3 we have had many of the pieces needed to make a run. Remember that nobody is a lock, all they can do is set themselves in the right spot to make that run.

We are there now, we were there last year, but this is a young team that ebbs and flows with the tide of the team at a given moment. With a little rough and raw nerve from the hard losses last season (both MN games to "Him", Pitts game, Bucs game, and OT loss to AZ) I think this team will come back HUNGRY as hell, and I think we will not be seeing those kinds of losses for much longer.

That kind of bitter taste will change a man, and can change a team.

Very well said and agree with everything. It's posts like these from you guys that makes me feel proud to be a packers fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts