1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

2011 without the NFL

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Scout200, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    As the end of the year is approaching, several are wondering about the possible lockout next year. If there is a lockout in 2011, what impact will it have on the NFL, players, fans.. and in general, America? Also, if there is a lockout, who would be to blame?

2. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Blame would be on both sides.

As for impact, the NFL will lose at least $1Billion between now and August if there is no CBA next season. NFLLabor.com Wall Street Journal: $$ losses for players and teams begin now with no new CBA «

TV networks will lose at least $3Billion. NFLLabor.com Report: $3 billion in lost TV ad revenue in NFL work stoppage «

Not sure about local economies, but tourism will definitely be impacted. Restaurants, hotels, car rentals, merchandising. Not to mention unemployment.

3. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, I didn't even think about that! If it does happen, it will definitely be unfortunate!

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    There's a lot of stadium workers that most people don't think about when it comes to thinking about running a football team. You have groundskeepers, parking attendants, concessions workers, maintenance staff, not to mention the Cheerleaders. :) These are people who won't be receiving a paycheck should there be a lockout, at least not from a football team.

I can't speak for every city, but I know Green Bay's economy thrives on tourism. Lambeau Field in itself is a tourist destination for football fans, but outside of that, what's left? I don't have actual numbers, but I imagine a large part of Green Bay's economy is made up of the tourist dollars, from restaurants to hotels to souvenirs and everything in between.

Larger city economies likely won't feel much of an impact. San Diego, New York, Dallas, Chicago... Those places certainly won't feel the loss of football too badly. Smaller cities though, it's a different story.

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    There is other sports like Ice Hockey and Baseball, The NFL will be played in 2011 I hope :D

6. GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +132
    It is a very complex issue, I would love to sit in on the Collective Barging negotiations. I can see where both sides have legitimate points. I just wish the ticket buying, merchandise buying, tax payers who pay for the stadiums, would have a seat at the table.Nobody represents the fans. Not the owners nor the players.

7. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    I have a hard time believing that there will be a lockout next year. WAY too much money to be lost on both sides... They realize this. I can see them maybe being stubborn on both sides up through training camps and maybe even the first few weeks of the season, but I'd be surprised if we went all next year without football.

8. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643
    A season off? It means the Packers will only have 6 players on IR and only 2 lockout-season ending injuries.

9. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    No one represents the consumers when unions go on strike in general, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Well, my 1b sport is Brazil soccer, and my team has done pretty well, it's qualified for the continent's most important championship, and our rival has just embarassed itself in the Club World Cup, so I'm looking forward to 2011.

That said, I still divide half my time with the NFL, and 90% of it when the Packers win and my other team loses.

I don't care much for College Football, Basketball or any other american sport, though I'm a Notre Dame and Celtics fairwheater fan, so I'd probably watch that some more, but not much.

All in all, it's a part of my routine, to write, read and listen Packers.

Would absolutely resume watching in 12'.

11. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    This is becoming more of a reality now. :mellow:

12. Matty Flynn

Matty Flynn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    This would also be a problem for a couple Packers players. Such as Donald Driver and Charles Woodson. Would they come back in 2012? We can do nothing but hope.

13. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    At least we'd get to be champions for sure for 2 years instead of just one. :icon_lol:

• Like Like x 2
  14. packerwisgirl86

packerwisgirl86 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I really can't imagine 2011 without it a lot of loss on both sides like you all said. I don't think it will happen especially where money is to be lost big time.

15. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Well, I believe Robert Kraft when he said an agreement could be hammered out if both sides just sat down and negotiated. I imagine something will get done sooner rather than later.

That said, the players will cave when those checks start getting missed. Nothing will make this happen faster than the players pressuring their own union to just take what they can.

16. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    Don't forget about NASCAR well with or with out an NFL season next year I'll still be able to watch the UFL.

17. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    I would have the CFL and NHL to pass the time... Sundays sure wouldn't be the same... :fie:

18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    I would be very very very surprised if there was no football all of 2011.

19. gbsb11

gbsb11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as blame goes I blame the owners until they open the books. I would imagine there is enough $$ for both sides to be doing well. Simply because the players are getting a "sweet deal" under the current CBA doesnt necessarily mean the owners are getting shafted.

And who knows what i would do without football, no way another sport can replace it. Football is the only sport I can tune into any two team and enjoy watching.

20. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Your blame would be misplaced. The owners have absolutely NO obligation to open their books to the players union. None, whatsoever. Nor does not opening their books cheapen their argument. You didn't go to the owner of the company you work for and ask him to open his books to you before agreeing to the salary you would be paid, did you? No, of course you didn't. Neither should the players.

It's a negotiation. Both sides are responsible for working with each other to come up with an equitable agreement, regardless of anything else. The owners have decided the agreement was unfair to them. Members of the players union have agreed. Now it's time for the two parties to come together and figure out what exactly WILL work for both sides.

21. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    Oh ye Nascar how could I forget

22. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    Everyone would be to blame, and it would have a big impact. I cannot imagen not having a season next year, Hockey doesn't get interesting until April.

23. Tecmo

Tecmo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    I don't think nascar's ratings would improve all that much with the lockout. You either love it(and you watch it already) or you hate it(and you never will watch it). I'm a race fan and I know a lot of people that won't even give it a chance. They'll watch pro bowling over it.