2011 NFL Draft: Round 3, Pick 32, Overall 96 - Alex Green, RB, Hawaii

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm this is the first pick that I'm not excited about. Says in the opening post that his blocking is more or less awful. B-jax was a phenomenal blocker on 3rd downs. I don't really like this I don't think, but I'll hold my tongue.

God I hope we take an OLB/DE sometime in this draft. That's what I was hoping for with this pick.

Reaction score
I was weary of this guy at first but... TT is a genius! This is a perfect runningback for a third and short. We would go into 4 or 5 wide, and have this guy run up the middle. One hole and this guy will almost always make the first guy miss and after that his size / decent speed is hard for him to go anywhere but forward! Basically Grant and Starks combined.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's funny to see how reactions change over the years with TT as our GM, if this was year 1 we'd be hating TT for this pick...now we hear, Ted must know something we don't etc...Hard to question him after all his success, In Ted we trust

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I was weary of this guy at first but... TT is a genius! This is a perfect runningback for a third and short. We would go into 4 or 5 wide, and have this guy run up the middle. One hole and this guy will almost always make the first guy miss and after that his size / decent speed is hard for him to go anywhere but forward! Basically Grant and Starks combined.

green is used to playing when 4 wide receivers are out so this can work well for our shotgun sets

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I trust in Ted, but I really wish this pick was Acho instead. From what Chip posted in the first post, it says that he's a bad blocker, which is what Brandon Jackson excels at. This looks like B-Jax is on his way out and although Green is a phenomenal receiver, I'm going to shut my eyes when he's asked to stay in to block.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I trust in Ted, but I really wish this pick was Acho instead. From what Chip posted in the first post, it says that he's a bad blocker, which is what Brandon Jackson excels at. This looks like B-Jax is on his way out and although Green is a phenomenal receiver, I'm going to shut my eyes when he's asked to stay in to block.
Me too, wanted Acho...

BTW, he went to Butte... Alex Green, that is.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL@ people saying I never heard of him its a reach

Two respected people from NFLN and ESPN say this guy is a great pick

So dont mind me, I will take the experts over people on a forum

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick. I like the player.
But: This means the end of either Brandon Jackson or Ryan Grant.

I wanted Sam Acho, LB, Texas. But I feel that MM, TT, and perhaps KG really think Brad Jones is good. Are they not worried about his lack of durability? Or do they really like Zombo and Walden? It's possible because Acho was a steal there and he's another very high-quality human being, like Randall Cobb and Derrick Sharrod.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. I'm really happy with this draft so far! I thought from the beginning that we didn't need very much but I'm happy we are making the best out of our picks! You can still improve upon perfection! T.T. is assembling an army!!! :)

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers select Alex Green, RB - Hawaii, as the 96th overall pick

The Green Bay Packers selected Alex Green, Running Back from the University of Hawaii, as the 96th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. More coverage to follow.

Source: Packers.com

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick. I like the player.
But: This means the end of either Brandon Jackson or Ryan Grant.

I wanted Sam Acho, LB, Texas. But I feel that MM, TT, and perhaps KG really think Brad Jones is good. Are they not worried about his lack of durability? Or do they really like Zombo and Walden? It's possible because Acho was a steal there and he's another very high-quality human being, like Randall Cobb and Derrick Sharrod.

I think they feel Jones, Zombo and Walden can develop into a force at the position. Remember it took Tramon Williams a few years to become the super star he is now. I believe they see true potential in the OLB's currently on our roster and feel they can develop into pro-bowl caliber players. Jones had a good season after he replaced Kampman, and both Zombo and Walden were more than serviceable last year. I expect them to both improve this year.

As for us taking a running back, I too kinda scratched my head a bit, but as others have said, in Ted I trust.. He's proven he knows more about what he's doing than we do, so I'll roll with it.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far experts are giving us an A. I've seen first two picks play, RB never but if everyone whose been to Pro Days and such say he's good, I'll believe it until he flops big time.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
love this pick, i wont lie i never would have thought they would draft a RB in the first 5 rounds. maybe take a flyer in the 6th or 7th like they did with starks (which i think will be our future starter). this guy is like steven jackson 2.0, starks and green will be a great 1 2 punch in the coming years. i hope grant stays around for a while tho, i always liked him. you can never have too many good running backs on your football team.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is just finding replacements for role players that are headed out the door this off-season. Jones and now Jackson are as good as gone. These are players that can fill these roles and can grow into something more down the line.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well when I went to work I never expect to see Pick 3 as an RB, definitely a surprise for me. I don't know anything about this guy, but I am glad to hear some positive feedback. I posted earlier about Acho, and it seems that we are all on that bandwagon, however, I feel that while we love him on this board, if he was the man to work opposite Clay, then this pick was the one to get him. I am guessing that he isn't the man after all.
Welcome aboard Alex!

Members online

Latest posts