2011 Needs

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking up at this up and coming off season, you kinda get curious as to what the team will need at the different positions.

If I had to make an estimate as to what we needed, it put them in the following order:

1. OL - It never hurts to keep the line healthy, especially with an aging Clifton.

2. WR- As sad as it is to say this, Donald Driver might not be around much longer, and with James Jones dropping balls here and there, we might need another receiver to fill the spot at number 2.

3. DE/OLB- My opinion on the OLB spot opposite of Mathews is neutral. I don't think Brad Jones has done a bad job at that position when he has played there but if we can get another solid OLB to compliment Mathews.. Offenses will have such a hard time with the pass game. Casey Mathews name has been thrown out there but I'm not sure of were people are projecting him to land in the draft.

I could list more, but those are the three positions that I believe need to be addressed.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It also depends on who we let go in free agency. i wouldn't mind a WR if Jones leaves. A DE would be a good insurance policy if Jenkins leaves in case Mike Neal struggles. you can never have to much OL depth either

Iwould like to see a RB drafted to compete with Starks to improve the odds that we will actually have a running game next season. (not writing Starks off but a little competition never hurt anyone)

A KR would make me very happy as well

Whatever we draft though, I think we can count on TT to make the right decision:happy0005:

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That site looks pretty good. I like how it goes all the way through the 5th round. However, I looked at the 2012 draft and they have the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. Credibility = lost.

hansel13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking up at this up and coming off season, you kinda get curious as to what the team will need at the different positions.

If I had to make an estimate as to what we needed, it put them in the following order:

1. OL - It never hurts to keep the line healthy, especially with an aging Clifton.

2. WR- As sad as it is to say this, Donald Driver might not be around much longer, and with James Jones dropping balls here and there, we might need another receiver to fill the spot at number 2.

3. DE/OLB- My opinion on the OLB spot opposite of Mathews is neutral. I don't think Brad Jones has done a bad job at that position when he has played there but if we can get another solid OLB to compliment Mathews.. Offenses will have such a hard time with the pass game. Casey Mathews name has been thrown out there but I'm not sure of were people are projecting him to land in the draft.

I could list more, but those are the three positions that I believe need to be addressed.

Casey has been projected anywhere from late 2nd to 5th. Probably a solid 3rd round pick. He's really talented, I've had the opportunity to watch him for four years and he has the Matthews blood in him, that's for sure.

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is though, one of our free agents will most likely get a franchise tag, and it might be Jenkins. The other thing is.. we dont need to draft another RB. Has everyone forgotten about Grant? With Grant and starks in our backfield, we should be fine. We also will have Jackson and Kuhn to help out and I dont think well need to draft a RB.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our needs are pretty obvious.

OLB
DE
LT
WR

We desperately need a strong compliment at ROLB for Clay Matthews. Quite simply I don't think Brad Jones, Erik Walden, and Frank Zombo cut it. Jones has no pass-rush moves and is still pretty raw, and on top of that was hurt all year. We don't know where he's going to be next year. Walden is obviously very raw and has problems in passing situations and against the run. Frank Zombo in my opinion is just a back-up, a guy who's not an ideal starter now or in the future. I don't think it's any coincidence fans have fallen for ever linebacker to start opposite Matthews, the scheme and coaches cover up their problems. We need a cornerstone player there.

We don't know what Chad Clifton is going to do this off-season. My guess is that he's back, but even so we need to groom a potential LT/RT in a bad way.

Defensive end is totally up in the air. We don't know what's going on with Jenkins. We don't know what's going on with Johnny Jolly. Both our rookies at DE showed potential but predictably played up and down.

James Jones is completely up in the air. I'm assuming he's gone and wants an expanded role somewhere else. If Jones is gone WR becomes a big priority although Finley coming back find of eases the urgency of drafting a WR in the first round.

Everything right now is dependent on who's coming back, we just don't know. The only thing I know for sure when it comes to 'needs' is that we need a blue-chipper at OLB, we can't rely on guys like Jones, Walden, and Zombo to be starters.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't bail on Quarless too quickly. It took a little while for Finley to develop, so we should be patient with Quarless too.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't bail on Quarless too quickly. It took a little while for Finley to develop, so we should be patient with Quarless too.

yeah, it took Finely a season and a half to bust out, then had the big game against the Cards. Quarless make similar strides we could have 2 BIG TE's with him and Finely.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't see why people want a DE so badly, assuming jenkins is back. Our DEs are pretty good and cause enough trouble for the offensive line. Another OLB would be much more benificial in my opinion. Deffenses couldn't just focus on Matthews and would need to be aware of the other ROLB as well.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga impressed me enough this year to possibly move to the blindside, but LT is just such a sort after position that if there are ever any great ones around they will go early, and I hope we can get one. I like the idea of a young CB to learn under the best, and possibly an OLB, but not as obvious a need as the other two

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adding to the discussion, our D-line is set as long as Jenkins comes back. In all honesty, with Raji, Jenkins and Pickett all on the line, with an occasional showing out of Howard Green as a nice big body for stopping the run, we could be set. Not to mention, Mike Neal did look promising at one point, and you know how Ted Thompson is with his draft picks, he saw something with this guy, and as a 2nd rounder, don't count him out. And we can't forget about Johnny Jolly either, lol god I love that dudes name.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think it's really risky to expect Clifton will play all year and Rodgers had two concussions this year, I can't think of anything more pressing than protecting the franchise player.
I wish I was certain of Lang at RT and Bulaga at LT, the problem is, as long as Clifton is playing LT Bulaga will be on the right. So when Clifton gets injured, like he did this year, Bulaga stays at RT and Lang goes to LT. I think it should be the reverse. And it's darned hard to do that in the middle of the season on your second SB run.
I'm not real worried about the DL, I think there will be enough back to help us there. I think with further development of Quarless and Finley we don't have to worry a whole lot about targets for Rodgers, we can address that later or next year.
OLB could use a high pick, though I'm not sure the Packers will feel a need. The draft will tell us what they think of that platoon.
A CB to groom behind Woodson would keep our D relevant after he retires. (After next year?)
I don't think they would look at a running back this draft, between Grant and Starks we're set for our system.
I guess the reason I don't want to commit for "need" beyond OT is because I'd rather get the best player available at CB or OLB.
BTW, I think Jordy Nelson is the future at #2 receiver. But if a premium guy falls, I wouldn't be terribly upset if they grabbed another. I don't see Brett Swain on the level of Jones or Nelson. He's always gonna be the last receiver. I hope I"m wrong.
Oh, I think our LG after Colledge leaves is set. I don't know who it is, but there are several good options.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think TE is enough of a need to grab one within the first 3-4 rounds, I think Andrew Quarless showed enough to keep TE off the needs list for now. I think drafting Kendricks in rounds 2 or 3 is kind of over-kill.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only two true NEEDS: OLB and OT.

-If clifton went down we would be kinda screwed on the depth at other spots. I like Lang, but prefer him as a guard.
-If we are to take a great defense to an elite defense, we need better pass rush opposite clay. He is a beast and will get sacks regardless [which amazes me], but he has no threat opposite him as ROLB. If we were to add someone to make them pay for focusing on Clay, we would have the most feared defense in football.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only two true NEEDS: OLB and OT.

-If clifton went down we would be kinda screwed on the depth at other spots. I like Lang, but prefer him as a guard.
-If we are to take a great defense to an elite defense, we need better pass rush opposite clay. He is a beast and will get sacks regardless [which amazes me], but he has no threat opposite him as ROLB. If we were to add someone to make them pay for focusing on Clay, we would have the most feared defense in football.

Agreed, LOLB and OT are clearly the most obvious needs on our team.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A kick-returner is also something i think is a must to target in the draft. would make our offense more effective having better field position.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
A kick-returner is also something i think is a must to target in the draft. would make our offense more effective having better field position.
I think it would be a luxury, no way can you call it a "must" since there's no possible way to pick for that position. It's probably the hardest position to find in the NFL. Everybody tries several, but only a few make it, think about it, which teams have elite returners? Less than 1/4 of the league has one.
At least half of the league has a decent QB, at least if your pick at QB isn't a good one, he's probably okay as a backup, what do you do with an average returner?
It's a lost pick.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree... The Packers need a pass rusher opposite CM3 and a solid OT prospect to replace Clifton or play RT if Bulaga moves to LT.

However, I'd like to see an improvement in special teams too. I would not be surprised if the Packers drafted the WR from Boise State. He could replace James Jones and give the Packers a return option. It is never too early to think about Driver retiring and Jones leaving as a FA.

Members online

Latest posts