2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
It's the biggest sporting event in the world by far and if you don't care, you're wrong. It kicks today. More specifically, it kicks off in like 3 minutes with South Africa (the host) vs. Mexico. Airing now on ESPN.

Talk about the first match, and the rest of the matches here.

I have to work tomorrow during US/England. That is a fact I'm not happy about. Really not happy.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awww poor you

I want Germany to win the World Cup If Klose is the top scorer at the tournament and Grermany win the world cup I get £100 and if Germany win it I get £28 yeah I hate England lol :D

I've done the same bets haha.

Saying that, I did spread my betting a fair bit:

F. Torres top scorer
M. Klose top scorer
Germany to win the WC
France to win the WC
Mexico to win the WC
Uruguay to win the WC
Rooney to get sent off v.s U.S (lol)
Higuain top scorer and Argies to win WC
C. Tevez to finish top 5 in golden boot.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both RSA and MEX are average teams at best... Too many missed passes, both teams are technically poor...
I think Mexico is very good, and they played well the first half. They had 2-3 solid scoring chances that they just didn't convert. Then in the end, they were lucky to get the late equalizer and escape with a point.
It's very hard to win the opener against the host nation, as ESPN pointed out.

So we had a 1-1 tie today, and a 0-0 (Nil-Nil) tie today.

I love the World Cup, but let's hope tomorrow has a few more great plays and goals to try and enhance the fan base here in the USA.

But I want Timmy Howard to pitch a shutout against the Brits.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Espn2 is replaying it at like 2:00am.

Just watched France/Uruguay. France better pick it up or their gonna be in trouble.
!!!

Now I have to avoid the result somehow at work. They have these damn screens in the break rooms that have up to date sports news on them (along with world news and company news).

Thanks for the tip, sir.

I was really pulling for South Africa today. Shame they didn't get the win, but I have to think they're happy getting any sort of result. What are they, like 70 teams behind Mexico in the world rankings or something? Imagine the elation in that stadium if that last real chance RSA had didn't go off post. So close to 3 points, but I'm sure they'll be pleased with 1. And pleased to not be the first host team to ever lose the opening game.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ADIOS FRANCE and FIESTA de MEXICO.
On a sadder note, and bizarre: Boy, I wonder what religion that show was they killed to watch:

June 17, 2010
S. African killed by wife, kids in TV spat

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.
David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.
"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.
"In that argument, they started assaulting him."
Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.
Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.
"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."
All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.
Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.
"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."
The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ADIOS FRANCE and FIESTA de MEXICO.
On a sadder note, and bizarre: Boy, I wonder what religion that show was they killed to watch:

June 17, 2010
S. African killed by wife, kids in TV spat

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.
David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.
"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.
"In that argument, they started assaulting him."
Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.
Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.
"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."
All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.
Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.
"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."
The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.
DAMN!!!!

:shok:

and corrected the fiesta for you!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PHENOMENAL comeback draw for the USA today, but we really won the damn game.
I've seen A LOT of horrible calls by refs before, and I have seen Tim Donahay ref who was proven to have gambling ties. There have been others in tennis and soccer also caught before.

This one ranks worse than any others. It's terrible to let THEM get away with 5 assaults on one play. I mean that's brutal. But to blow a whistle and call us for one on the play? Seriously?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PHENOMENAL comeback draw for the USA today, but we really won the damn game.
I've seen A LOT of horrible calls by refs before, and I have seen Tim Donahay ref who was proven to have gambling ties. There have been others in tennis and soccer also caught before.

This one ranks worse than any others. It's terrible to let THEM get away with 5 assaults on one play. I mean that's brutal. But to blow a whistle and call us for one on the play? Seriously?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He reportedly saw weapons of mass destruction on that play.

But for real, that was a bad call, but there are plenty of terrible calls in almost every soccer game, much worse than this one...

It was about time it happened. The refs in the WC are actually calling it right at an incredible rate, contrary to what normally happens...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But for real, that was a bad call, but there are plenty of terrible calls in almost every soccer game, much worse than this one......
4 real?
Worse than this, with 4 or 5 muggings against us, letting them go, and then blowing the whistle on one of our guys here, preventing a game-winning goal that would have almost assured the USA of advancing?

You've seen much worse calls often, all things considered?

Look, I hate refs.... I know some are corrupt and I know the Seahawks lost a Super Bowl that the refs gave to the Steelers 4 years ago, but this was horrible. This was worse than Jim Joyce, as Aaron Rodgers twittered today.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
That disallowed goal for no reason felt exactly the same as when Rodgers fumbled at the end of the Playoff game. I was just so high after tying it, and then I was even higher for a few seconds, and then my spirit gets murdered.

I'd have loved the 3 points today, but that was one hell of a comeback. One of the most exciting sporting events I've seen in recent memory. And thanks to the England/Algeria draw we now control our own fate. Beat Algeria and we're in the knockout stage. Can't ask for much more than that.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That disallowed goal for no reason felt exactly the same as when Rodgers fumbled at the end of the Playoff game. I was just so high after tying it, and then I was even higher for a few seconds, and then my spirit gets murdered.

I'd have loved the 3 points today, but that was one hell of a comeback. One of the most exciting sporting events I've seen in recent memory. And thanks to the England/Algeria draw we now control our own fate. Beat Algeria and we're in the knockout stage. Can't ask for much more than that.
Bingo. That amazing result from the Brits means that **** by the crooked ref against us didn't doom us.
We need to shut out Algeria.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 real?
Worse than this, with 4 or 5 muggings against us, letting them go, and then blowing the whistle on one of our guys here, preventing a game-winning goal that would have almost assured the USA of advancing?

You've seen much worse calls often, all things considered?

Look, I hate refs.... I know some are corrupt and I know the Seahawks lost a Super Bowl that the refs gave to the Steelers 4 years ago, but this was horrible. This was worse than Jim Joyce, as Aaron Rodgers twittered today.
Of course. That is a normal occurence, everyone grabbing everyone during a cross.

THIS is a much worse call. It's a cross, where the defender grabs the striker by the shirt, to a point which it's torn apart. No penalty is called...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yrvNmvCwNQ]YouTube - Copa do Brasil 2010 - Santos 3 x 1 Grêmio - Pênalti em Jonas[/ame]

And it's just one example. Been watching soccer all my life, and as there's no reverse call, I've seen plenty of terrible calls by refs...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course. That is a normal occurence, everyone grabbing everyone during a cross.
THIS is a much worse call. It's a cross, where the defender grabs the striker by the shirt, to a point which it's torn apart. No penalty is called...

YouTube - Copa do Brasil 2010 - Santos 3 x 1 Grêmio - Pênalti em Jonas
That's also an "F", but it's not much worse than yesterday's and it's not even as bad. Here's why.

In this shirt grab one, the ref MISSED a foul. It's like missing a holding penalty in the NFL. On every single play in the NFL almost, there is an OL who is holding. Some worse than others. They obviously miss some.

But what's worse is when they MAKE UP A PENALTY.

In the USA game on that play, the ref MISSED 3 or 4 muggings, plus some shirt tugging, but they additionally MADE UP a PENALTY on the Americans on the play. That's double jeopardy. I don't expect them to not miss things. But to miss 5 on one play, and compound that by making up one on the other side? Unacceptable. If that ref made that call against Germany or South Africa, he'd have been lynched by now.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's also an "F", but it's not much worse than yesterday's and it's not even as bad. Here's why.

In this shirt grab one, the ref MISSED a foul. It's like missing a holding penalty in the NFL. On every single play in the NFL almost, there is an OL who is holding. Some worse than others. They obviously miss some.

But what's worse is when they MAKE UP A PENALTY.

In the USA game on that play, the ref MISSED 3 or 4 muggings, plus some shirt tugging, but they additionally MADE UP a PENALTY on the Americans on the play. That's double jeopardy. I don't expect them to not miss things. But to miss 5 on one play, and compound that by making up one on the other side? Unacceptable. If that ref made that call against Germany or South Africa, he'd have been lynched by now.
In soccer, missing a penalty (not a fault) is as bad as annulling a goal.

And, like I said, what happened in the area at US' game were illegal, but they're NORMAL occurences. 33% of the refs will call fault by the US, 33% will call fault by the slovenians, and 33% won't call anything. Even by that ammount of grabs.

But when a shirt is ripped appart, you have to be completely blind not to call it. It's not like a holding penalty. It's like a CB grabbing a receiver by the facemask and bringing him to the ground when the ball is going his way...

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I love Landon Donovan. Seriously.

So many missed chances today, ANOTHER incorrectly disallowed goal, but who cares!? We won our group, baby! First time in 80 em effing years!

I'd like to say we're not done yet, but we aren't going to win this thing. They've accomplished more than the goal I had in my mind, which was just advancing, it's all gravy from here.

Members online

Latest posts