2010 draft

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What? Too early to talk about already? Well, I'm avoiding work so humor me.

Let's say, for the sake of arguement, we lose Clifton, Kampman, and Harris next year. I think these are 3 guys that could all realisticly be traded or not resigned (more likely Kampy and Clifton).

Let's also say we get a mid 1st rounder for Kampy and that the Packers Pick in the bottom of the first round.

So with 2 first rounders again in this draft, who or what do we target?

I think our first priorities should be...
OLB - to replace Poppinga. Matthews will take over Kampy's spot.
Safety - Will need an upgrade from Bigby.
LT - A franchise left tackle would be a great pick in the first if we can find one.

Secondary priorities - CB, DE, NT, P
What do you think?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I've said over at Donald's Designated Driver's site , It's really unrealistic that we'll not see Kampman in GB in 2010, at least not for the right price. If he thrives, he's re-signed. That simple. If he fails, he'll still have tons of value as a 4-3 DE, based on him being the 3rd sacker since 2006, and also in him playing every snap. So, if he doesn't want to sign, we tag him and trade him for at least a 2nd rounder. Unless all the OL, Williams and Collins don't want to sign, which I highly doubt. I could see Clifton and Harris, specially Clifton, not signing with GB though.
-
I doubt TT will take based on need at the draft. I mean, need sure is a tiebreaker, but if a Dez Bryant falls to us, and we're picking at the bottom of the round, which I expect, it'll be hard to pass on him. The guy I would like most to see wearing the Green and Gold next year is Taylor Mays, he's the next Reed/Polamalu, but I doubt he'll fall to us.

OP
OP
paco

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mays would be a great pickup. But barring an injury by him, he'll be a top 10 pick.

Kampman does all depend on how he plays this year. But TT might think that the value he can get for him in trade is greater than what he gives the team. Who knows, there is a lot of time until then.

And signing guys this next offseason is going to be harder than usual with the uncapped year coming up. Even though most players don't know what the hell that means.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Ryan Grant gives the same performance he did last year with his measly 3.9 average? I think the running back position will need to be addressed if that happens too. I think the smartest thing to do would be to draft a left tackle because that is an ultimate need. The next position to be looked at is Cornerback since Woodson and Harris are old and some of the speculation that Harris might not be with us next year. Jerome Murphy from South Florida seems like a perfect physical guy for the Packers who can make plays. I do agree that it would be great if the Packers got Mays, but we'd have to do some serious trading for that to happen. Of course, if Kampman is traded, then Outside Linebacker is a must have. Sean Weatherspoon seems like a reliable linebacker that could be a huge factor in games.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with ya for the most part, but I don't know about Matthews as Kampman's replacement. I think Gocong would be the right guy for the LOLB position. He will be a UFA in 2010. FA and the draft will be weak, especially at safety. Pittsburgh's FS Ryan Clark will be a UFA in 2010 so he is a possibility - other then that it will be slim pickens unless someone is traded or released. Can Clark or Collins play SS? Chargers LT McNeil will be a UFA, but I would put money on SD re-signing him. Tyson Clabo, RT Atlanta, will also be an UFA, but again I expect Atlanta to pay him the money to keep Ryan upright. Penn and Trueblood will be free agents, but Tampa has a ton of cap room. I think GB will have a better shot at finding their future RT (if Barbre fails this year) in the draft then a LT. The big question is if Colledge can play LT - don't count last week his foot was injured. The next couple of games will give TT an idea if Colledge is the guy. I think GB will end up drafting in the 20's so a CB, 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE/DT and RB are more likely to be one of the picks then SS or OT. Spiller or Best could be an option - I think they would upgrade the return game and add a home run threat to the run game.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What? Too early to talk about already? Well, I'm avoiding work so humor me.

Let's say, for the sake of arguement, we lose Clifton, Kampman, and Harris next year. I think these are 3 guys that could all realisticly be traded or not resigned (more likely Kampy and Clifton).

Let's also say we get a mid 1st rounder for Kampy and that the Packers Pick in the bottom of the first round.

So with 2 first rounders again in this draft, who or what do we target?

I think our first priorities should be...
OLB - to replace Poppinga. Matthews will take over Kampy's spot.
Safety - Will need an upgrade from Bigby.
LT - A franchise left tackle would be a great pick in the first if we can find one.

Secondary priorities - CB, DE, NT, P
What do you think?

An Upgrade of Bigby why?

OP
OP
paco

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An Upgrade of Bigby why?

Why not? What has Bigby shown us outside of infrequent flashes of talent, some big hits, and several trips to the medical staff?

Add in that he's 28 already and I just don't see a future for him on this team as a starter. I want someone who plays better and on a more consistent basis.

We haven't had good production from the safety spot in a long time. And don't argue Collins. I'm still not sold on him either. Misses just as many big plays as he makes, and is nicked up himself too much.

Safety is my least favorite spot on this team. As of week 3, linebackers are my 2nd. Need better play out of Barnett and Hawk especially. Only guy I'm really liking is Matthews so far. Chillar has been decent, but think they are asking more out of him than they should.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think 3 games have shown us that we need O-linemen.

I'd go Ron Wolf 1999 style and take O-linemen with like our first 3 picks.

(FYI: That was the year Wolf took 3 corners in 3 picks. Antuan Edwards, Fred Vinson, Mike McKenzie)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 3 games have shown us that we need O-linemen.

I'd go Ron Wolf 1999 style and take O-linemen with like our first 3 picks.

(FYI: That was the year Wolf took 3 corners in 3 picks. Antuan Edwards, Fred Vinson, Mike McKenzie)
And that goes to show you that Ron Wolf made a lot of mistakes on the draft. He more than compensated on FA and trades, but that's another issue... My point is, projecting an NCAA player is one though job, and nothing guarantees that we'll get a good OL by drafting one early.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are fine in our safety dept. Bigby isnt bad and collins may be a probowler. I do feel that to be a true contender we definitely need to fix up our O line. I don't know if we can realistically get any solid linemen from the draft but many say it is one of the deepest draft classes to come out in years. Also a cb should be relatively high on our priority list. Woodson won't last forever even though hes playin like hes 25. He only has a few years left in the tank. Also a defensive end could be a priority as well...

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is going to need to grab an offensive tackle somewhere in the top two rounds. If their looking for one in the first round, since I dont think Bryan Bulaga will enter the draft (maybe that because I'm an Iowa fan and holding on to the hope he might return) however Ciron Black from LSU is a late first option. In the secon Iowa's Kyle Calloway will also be available (always have to make a case for the Hawkeyes :) )

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of our first picks should be for a cornerback. Harris and Woodson are good now, but what about 2 years from now? They will both be two years old. As long as we sign Tramon we will still have him, so he might fill in one spot nicely.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely do need to address the cornerback position in the 2nd or 3rd round. Al Harris is old and it's iffy that he might return next season and even if he does, we would still need depth at that position.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tebow would ONLY get drafted in the first round if Jacksonville takes him. And that would ONLY be to sell tickets. He is not going to translate well to the NFL.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if May's falls to us we nab him, however I doubt he will... I like Bigby buy May's has a ton of upside. I would be happy with Jahvid Best. That guy is a beast, and we need a better run game... We need to grab 1 or two o-linemen in free agency, as well as draft some... that is our main need Running game and o-line

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think we need Mays, a good CB or OT...if none available and Mays is then I say you take him.

MNPackAttack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if May's falls to us we nab him, however I doubt he will... I like Bigby buy May's has a ton of upside. I would be happy with Jahvid Best. That guy is a beast, and we need a better run game... We need to grab 1 or two o-linemen in free agency, as well as draft some... that is our main need Running game and o-line

absolutely not. we do not need a safety. Bigby is a very consistent safety. look at his stats from 07 and 08. We need some linemen, so aaron can actuallly play past 30.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Has Taylor Mays really played himself out of being a top-10 pick like he was at the beginning of this year? I don't really pay attention to USC, so I don't really know.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While another impact safety would be nice OT is the position of choice. many think the best talent is late 1st early 2nd, just where GB will be drafting. Just hope TT hits on a great one.
Pack88

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the "Great" Offensive Tackles will probably be taken by the time we'll pick. Left Tackle is so important that we might need to trade up so we can get one of the elite Tackles in the 2010 draft. We could also draft another position of need, either Corner Back or Running Back. People might argue that Running Back isn't a huge need, but in my mind it is.

Grant has been far too inconsistent to be considered a solid starting running back. He is turning it up now that we are getting late into the season which is great right now, but we can't have a RB who only is good parts of seasons. Even if Grant does somehow step up and become consistent throughout next season(if we don't do something with him in the off-season), we still need a good Power Back like Toby Gerhart or Anthony Dixon. We need a guy who can punch it in if we're having a hard time in the Red Zone, which it seems we do a lot.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see running back in the first round if its not an o-lineman...
No way Spiller falls to us, but Jahvid Best might? any opinions?

Members online

Latest posts