2010 Draft - Round 2, Pick 24, Overall Pick 56: Mike Neal

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Mike Neal for their second pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mike Neal (DT)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 294 lbs.
Arm Length: 33 1/2 in.
Hand Size: 10 1/4 in.
College: Purdue
Conference: Big 10

Pick Analysis:
The Packers add a talented big man in Mike Neal. As a stout defensive lineman with outstanding strength and power, Neal gives the Packers another body to rotate in at end. Though his motor occasionally tails off due to his conditioning, he flashes outstanding talent when fresh, and could develop into a key contributor in their scheme.

Overview:
Neal is an average sized interior lineman that will need to play a three technique in a 4-3 defensive scheme. Neal is a tough hard-nosed lineman that gives consistent effort throughout the game. He doesn’t have elite size and is inconsistent to anchor versus double teams but can hold the point when he plays with good pad level. Neal has active hands and does a nice job to shed blockers. He is active in the tackle box showing good lateral quickness and agility but doesn’t have great range to the sideline. He can power rush effectively but needs to expand his moves and counters to contribute consistently at the next level. Neal is a good football player that has some limitations but should contribute in his rookie season and possibly work into a starting role.

Strengths:
Neal has really active hands that never stop working. He exhibits notable leadership qualities. Has the instincts necessary to diagnose and find the football. Does a good job pushing the pocket with his power rush. Has good lateral agility. Plays with a relentless motor.

Weaknesses:
Neal only has average range and won’t consistently track down plays to the outside. Has a narrow base and isn’t always capable on anchoring and holding up at the point of attack. As a three technique, needs to expand and broaden his pass rush package.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Huh? Who?

Highlights looked good, and we could definitley use some passrush off the line. I was hoping we'd pick up Campbell to be honest, that way we guarantee our line improves.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thought process is that he's gonna be an RE/LE.. otherwise... No clue why we didnt pick Tate.

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea who this guy is.

My guess is that he will take Jolly's spot.

I would much rather have a OLB or CB right now. No one too great was available so I could be more disappointed.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before anyone panics let me just say that this isn't such a bad pick. I've watched game tape of him and he's not bad. I've called for a pass rush 3-4 DE and Neal provides that. Not a spectacular but solid pick.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARE YOU SERIOUS TT??? wow what a stupid pick.. Why does he do things like this.. This guy is built for a 4-3 defense.. why why why... I don't understand that guy..

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before anyone panics let me just say that this isn't such a bad pick. I've watched game tape of him and he's not bad. I've called for a pass rush 3-4 DE and Neal provides that. Not a spectacular but solid pick.
idk so much about panicking but i will not agree with this being not a bad pick.. this was a horrible pick.. absolutely horrible.. we reach for a position that was not needed... i could not be more annoyed with the pick

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
idk so much about panicking but i will not agree with this being not a bad pick.. this was a horrible pick.. absolutely horrible.. we reach for a position that was not needed... i could not be more annoyed with the pick

Couldnt agree more... With all that talent on the board there you reach for a guy that isnt even fit for a 3-4 scheme? WTF Ted, why does he do these things, what is in his head?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he fits perfectly on our team. His best strength is pass rushing and opening blitz lanes ,something that we really NEEDED! Anothere interestig note is that he drops into coverage as well. Dom Capers will be happy.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm on the fence on this one. If he performs, awesome. I understand that a lot of D line strength depends on the rotation. And this guy could be a 3-4 end who opens lanes and can collapse the pocket, but I still think we need some defensive backs more, or another OLB.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow didnt even notice pat angerer and brandon spikes were still on the board.. boy TT you royally ****** up

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which CB was worth our pick at that point? Ghee, Murphy, Mcfadden were the best ones left. No matter who we picked they would've all been reaches.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he would fit our team perfectly if we were in a 4-3. Thats what he's always played and what he's built for. He isnt used to dropping back into coverage.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which CB was worth our pick at that point? Ghee, Murphy, Mcfadden were the best ones left. No matter who we picked they would've all been reaches.
no matter how anyone tries to put it this was a bad pick hands down.. i wouldve much rather reached for a postition of need rather than a ****ING 4-3 DT.. if we wanted an edge rusher wait for cj wilson in the later rounds.. theres no way anybody can convince me other wise

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not who I would have taken or the position, but I trust ted. He has proved himself with some diamonds in the drafts. I think there was some people on here last year that *****ed and moaned about TT taking Mathews, and look how that turned out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett is getting up there, and Jolly might be headed to Prison. Harrell looks like the odd man out here.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score

My. Thoughts exactly

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats why I'm not upset about it. Maybe the DLine is in trouble. I don't think TT would have used a 2nd round pick on a guy that he didn't expect to contribute right from the jump. It also might be good for Harrell to be shown that he needs to get his crap together or find another team.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats why I'm not upset about it. Maybe the DLine is in trouble. I don't think TT would have used a 2nd round pick on a guy that he didn't expect to contribute right from the jump. It also might be good for Harrell to be shown that he needs to get his crap together or find another team.

Not who I would have taken or the position, but I trust ted. He has proved himself with some diamonds in the drafts. I think there was some people on here last year that *****ed and moaned about TT taking Mathews, and look how that turned out.
you trust TT? diamonds in the rough?.. aj hawk.. justin harrell.. brian brohm, jordy nelson to a lesser degree..granted he has def found some gems but he has had his fair share of busts or players who hadnt lived up to expectations.. lets just say i believe this pick will fall into that catergory.. ill be the first to admit im wrong if he becomes a probowler and a solid player of ours but i dont see it happening.. i hope im wrong but i dont have to same faith in tt as you may

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this little quote about him:

National Football Post: Neal really struggles anytime he's asked to go against power inside and lacks a great burst off the edge. Looks like a borderline starter in the NFL.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you trust TT? diamonds in the rough?.. aj hawk.. justin harrell.. brian brohm, jordy nelson to a lesser degree..granted he has def found some gems but he has had his fair share of busts or players who hadnt lived up to expectations.. lets just say i believe this pick will fall into that catergory.. ill be the first to admit im wrong if he becomes a probowler and a solid player of ours but i dont see it happening.. i hope im wrong but i dont have to same faith in tt as you may

Wow, hang on a sec.

A.J Hawk: Yeah he isn't the super bad *** he was made out to be but he is a starter on any NFL roster, plays hard, and shines in coverage.

Jordy Nelson: I'm having a hard time finding anything bad to say about him. He's not Sterling Sharpe but no one claimed he would be. He is talented and has a lot of heart. He produces on offense and is good after the catch.

Brian Brohm: Who cares? Yeah its an issue if A-Rod goes down, but he took a serious whipping the first half of last season and still played well. With the two vets back and a year removed from their injuries plus the addition of Bulaga this is really a non-issue.

Justin Harrell: This is the only real complete bust in my mind. It isn't that he doesn't have skill, we really haven't had the opportunity to see it. He is just hurt all the time, which is bad, but its not like he is a 'bad' player.

TT also gave us Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, Raji, Matthews, Jennings, etc. I think we're over critical of his choices even though I would say his track record in the draft is pretty good.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax people, the sky is not falling with this pick. God, some of you are rather melodramatic.

So far I've heard nothing but pretty positive things about this pick. No, it's not the **** choice, but with Jenkins and Jolly in contract years, plus Jolly's pending legal issues, this is a position we need to make sure we have squared away.

Besides, let me ask this- If you could do so much better, why aren't you working with an NFL team? Why are you *****ing about a pick on a fan run forum rather than working on a front office somewhere?

Oh, that's right. You don't necessarily know what you're talking about.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax people, the sky is not falling with this pick. God, some of you are rather melodramatic.

So far I've heard nothing but pretty positive things about this pick. No, it's not the **** choice, but with Jenkins and Jolly in contract years, plus Jolly's pending legal issues, this is a position we need to make sure we have squared away.

Besides, let me ask this- If you could do so much better, why aren't you working with an NFL team? Why are you *****ing about a pick on a fan run forum rather than working on a front office somewhere?

Oh, that's right. You don't necessarily know what you're talking about.

Completely agree. From his radio call on packers.com he seems like a great guy and I've read that he's one of the most underrated DT's in the draft. So what is he busts? He's only a second round pick and we still have Raji, Jenkins, Jolly to cover for him at the position.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, hang on a sec.

A.J Hawk: Yeah he isn't the super bad *** he was made out to be but he is a starter on any NFL roster, plays hard, and shines in coverage.

Brian Brohm: Who cares? Yeah its an issue if A-Rod goes down, but he took a serious whipping the first half of last season and still played well. With the two vets back and a year removed from their injuries plus the addition of Bulaga this is really a non-issue.

You do know Brian Brohm is not a Packer anymore right?

And Im as big a Packer fan as the next guy but Hawk doesnt exactly shine in coverage....

Originally Posted by Spanish Rose
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And as far as trusting TT, you show me 1 team where every single draft pick went on to be a star or starter.... you cant. I dont understand how you can be upset with TT about some duds he drafted when there are 31 other teams that do the same thing. Its normal. I dont get your post at all... It was very ignorant for you to say.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts