2009 Draft - Round 4, Pick 9, Overall Pick 109 - T.J. Lang

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked T.J. Lang for their third pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

T.J. Lang (OT)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 316
College: Eastern Michigan
Conference: Mid-American
Hometown: Ferndale, MI
High School: Birmingham Brother Rice

Pick Analysis:
Lang elevated his play each and every year. He came into last season as a prospect who was not really highly regarded. He's got good punch and is a combative, physical player. His challenge may come in playing against speedy defensive linemen. He's going to add strength and zone-blocking ability to the Packers' offensive line.

Overview:
Originally recruited as a defensive lineman, Lang made a remarkable transformation over the last three years. Despite coming into his own as a tackle in 2008, many professional scouts feel that his drive-blocking ability, reach and quick hand placement could see him shift inside to guard or center.

Lang started 36 consecutive games, including his last 26, at left tackle. He registered 169 knock-downs and 21 touchdown-resulting blocks during his junior and senior campaigns. He had 16 tackles (eight solo) and blocked two kicks during his 43-game career at EMU.

Lang began his prep career at Lakeland High School, lettering in both football and baseball as a sophomore. He transferred to Brother Rice High as a junior, where he helped the team to the state finals and was named the squad's Most Improved Lineman.

As a senior, Lang started on both lines. He earned All-State Division II first-team honors and was ranked 33rd on the Fab 50 list of the Detroit Free Press, adding All-North accolades from that news service. He was named his team's Lombardi Award winner as the Most Outstanding Lineman and was nominated for the Gatorade Player of the Year award in the state of Michigan.

Lang recorded 93 tackles (59 solo) with 8.5 quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery, making the Associated Press All-State Division II squad as a high school senior. He also won the Defensive Line award at the University of Michigan 2004 summer camp.

In 2005, Lang was one of seven true freshmen to letter at Eastern Michigan. He appeared in all 11 games, seeing action in seven contests on defense while starting the season opener vs. Cincinnati at left defensive tackle. He finished the season with 11 tackles (four solo), as he assisted on a stop behind the line of scrimmage and blocked a kick vs. Western Michigan.

As a sophomore, Lang switched to the offensive line, starting 10 contests at right tackle and two more on the left side. He also switched from jersey #93 that he wore in 2005 to #50, which he'd wear for the rest of his career. He posted 74 knockdowns with seven touchdown-resulting blocks and was named Player of the Game vs. Louisiana-Lafayette. He also collected three tackles (two solos).

Lang started all 12 games at left tackle in 2007, delivering 83 knockdowns and 10 touchdown-resulting blocks. He also blocked a kick and recorded a solo tackle. The team averaged 337.5 yards in total offense as the front wall ranked second in the Mid-American Conference, allowing just 1.42 quarterback sacks per game, the 24th-best figure in the nation.

As a senior, Lang again manned the left tackle slot in all 12 games, garnering All-Mid American Conference recognition. He registered 11 touchdown-resulting blocks to go with 86 knockdowns, as he also came up with a solo tackle, but turned the ball over after handling a reception for a 4-yard loss. The Eagles relied on him protecting the blind side, as EMU ranked 20th nationally in passing, averaging 269.33 yards per game.

High School:
Graduated from Brother Rice (Birmingham, Mich.) High School, playing football as a junior and senior for head coach Al Fracassa...As a senior, Lang started on both lines, earning All-State Division II first-team honors and was ranked 33rd on the Fab 50 list of the Detroit Free Press, adding All-North accolades from that news service...Named his team's Lombardi Award winner as the Most Outstanding Lineman and was nominated for the Gatorade Player of the Year award in the state of Michigan...In his final prep campaign, Lang recorded 93 tackles (59 solo) with 8.5 quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery, making the Associated Press All-State Division II squad, helping the team to the state finals and was named the squad's Most Improved Lineman...Also won the Defensive Line award at the University of Michigan 2004 summer camp...Began his prep career at Lake-land High School, lettering in both football and baseball as a sophomore.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDvj-TrEvo[/ame]

FrozenTundra1979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that he started on the defensive side of the ball, isn't afraid to get out and lay a lick on someone in the run game. Not an immediate starter of course, but think he'll bring in good competition and has had a history of playing both sides, so with injuries he will be a good filler if needed this year.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he will definitely bring some good competition during the offseason. Maybe light a fire under a few people and get them to step up this year and own a few people.

(one can hope!)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
This is one of those picks where I just defer to TT and trust him with it. He's good with the small school picks. Greg Jennings, Western Michigan, enough said. Lol.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy really does have the power to get our running game in shape. Stand 'em up Twanger!!

I just hope Grant makes some major improvements over the offseason to get our running game "in shape". He seemed to have a major drop last year. Hell, I had him on my fantasy team and I sat him for most of the season...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be a huge bust or a great pick. It seems that lineman from the MAC are pretty decent so hopefully TJ isn't the exception. Looked great on film in the draft workouts. Seems to have excellent footwork which is key.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You know, I didn like this guy. AT. ALL. Then I started reading this forum and a few people changed my mind. He's on his way to a good career as a guard. He's like Colledge only hopefully less fat (read: lazy)

Latest posts