2009 Draft - Round 1, Pick 26, Overall Pick 26 - Clay Matthews

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Clay Matthews their second pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Clay Matthews (OLB)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 240
College: Southern Cal
Conference: Pac 10
Hometown: Agoura Hills, CA
High School: Agoura

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 4.67 seconds
Bench Press : 23.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 35.5 inches
Broad Jump : 121.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 6.9 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.18 seconds

Pick Analysis:
The Packers add a versatile outside linebacker to their 3-4. Matthews' multi-dimensional game serves as the perfect complement to Aaron Kampman. As a credible rushing threat with underrated cover skills, Matthews gives Dom Capers the ability to mix and match rush schemes. Though he only spent one season as a starter in college, he has the potential to be a solid pro in the Packers' defense.

Overview:
With two family members having not only played, but excelled at Southern California, you would think that with a name like Clay Matthews III that he would have been one of the team's elite recruits. However, 160-pound high school players do not have Pete Carroll knocking on their door, no matter what his last name is. Still, after joining the team as a walk-on, putting in three years as a reserve and a special teams player, Matthews wrote a terrific final chapter to his college career that could end in April with him joining his father and uncle as USC first-round selections.

When the Matthews family gets together during the holidays, that gathering is filled with athletes. It all begins with Clay's grandfather, Clay Sr., who was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s. Clay's father, Clay Jr., was a four-year (1974-77) linebacker at USC who played on the Trojans' 1974 national championship team and earned All-American honors in 1977. He went on to play with the NFL's Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978-96.

Clay's uncle, Bruce, was a three-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the NFL's Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1983-2001. Clay's older brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team. Another brother, Casey, is a sophomore linebacker at Oregon. His cousin, Ashley Nick, is a senior on the USC women's soccer team that captured the 2007 NCAA championship.

Matthews prepped at Agoura High School. His dramatic rise as a pro prospect would be one of this draft's more compelling stories, even without his bloodlines. Lightly recruited as a high school junior, he walked on to USC rather than take a scholarship to a smaller program. "He was 160 pounds as a junior in high school," his father, Clay Jr., said. "His senior year, he just got taller and bigger. But you're recruited your junior year. I was thinking he wasn't going to be able to play football, and I was fine with that."

The freshman linebacker was relegated to duties on the scout team at Southern California in 2004. As a red-shirt freshman, he played mostly on special teams in 2005, seeing action in all but the Hawaii contest (missed that game with an elbow sprain). He managed to record eight tackles (4 solos) to earn his first varsity letter.

Now measuring in at 230 pounds, Matthews earned a scholarship during 2006 fall camp. He served as a reserve strong-side outside linebacker behind Dallas Sartz, but made his reputation when he was named Co-Special Teams Player of the Year. He was also a second-team Academic All-Pac 10 Conference pick. In 13 games, he delivered 15 tackles (9 solos) with a 7-yard sack.

Matthews was again the key backup at both outside linebacker positions and captured the team's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year Award for the second consecutive season in 2007. He played in all 13 games, blocking two kicks while posting 17 tackles (15 solos) with three stops for loss. He also caused two fumbles, both coming vs. Illinois in the Rose Bowl.

An intense weight training program during the 2008 offseason was tempered by surgery performed on his hand, but he still ended up receiving Co-Lifter of the Year honors. The now 240-pounder opened the 2008 campaign as a reserve, but took over right defensive end duties for the final 10 contests. The All-American honorable mention and All-Pac 10 Conference second-team choice was named the team's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year for the third consecutive season. He ranked fourth on the team with 56 tackles (28 solos), blocked another kick and had 4.5 sacks to go with nine stops for losses.

High School:
Prepped at Agoura (Cal.) High School as a linebacker, but was not recruited by the major colleges..."He was 160 pounds as a junior in high school," his father, Clay Jr., said. "His senior year, he just got taller and bigger. But you're recruited your junior year. I was thinking he wasn't going to be able to play football, and I was fine with that."
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFi0o8GCM9c[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y29PjaaY18[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7dA3UttUM[/ame]

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Home run. An absolute home run. I don't care that we gave up 2 3rds to move from 41 to 26, TT has shown an ability to draft well in the later rounds and that makes up for not picking in round 3. I love this pick. It solidifies our backers with someone who can rush the passer, play the run, and is a decent cover backer. This draft is going a long ways towards fixing our D. Maybe a 3-4 end in the late rounds along with an OT somewhere and i'm really really happy. I couldn't be happier with day one.

packers4ever535

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great pick, about time we did something to make this team solid. need to get a rb and a few o line men and things will look great

Reaction score
I like how TT jumped all over this guy hes known to trade down for more picks but after so many years of trade downs he decided to be aggressive and go after Clay Matthews. I belive TT and Mike McCarthy and Dom kapers saw something with this kid and said hes still here on the board we have to go up and get him. I like the move we adressed now 2 of our shakey D positions so far looks like a great first draft day for the Pack

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Found this on the NFC North blog on ESPN.com

"It wasn't a great trade," Thompson said, "but it wasn't a horrible trade for us, from a numbers standpoint. Again, it gets to how badly do you want the player."

I completely agree with him and I like this, seemingly new, philosophy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard his press conference. He says that when he traded down, he was trying to build the core of our group. He says that we now have a core, we don't need to add picks. So, we're going for quality over quantity now...

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big Matthews fan because of some rumours of him creating a White Power facebook group...hope that that is just a rumour.

He is a fine athlete and gives shape to this LB corp. Barnett and Hawk against the run, Matthews to rush and cover, Kampman the Sackman rushing from the other side. And Raji opening holes...

Man, we are going to kick some teddies *** this season!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your absolutely Right!

I like the pick of Clay Mathews, however because of the so called Arian Group website that he was supposedly involved in caused a lot of character concerns. To me as much as someone smoking weed before the combine. Whether it was a joke or not it didn't show good maturity from a player who played at USC and was projected so high. He has to remember that there are teammates that might take offense to those kind of jokes, especially knowing he's an incoming rookie.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this kid play at USC over the last 3 years and he is.... AWESOME! Smart football IQ and love to crush people. While the pick might look like it costs a lot, come preseason we are going to see some positive things from Matthews and even see some productivity THIS YEAR on the field from him during the season.

EXCITED!

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're addressing needs so to that I say it's about time. I do like the fact that Quality over Quantity is the focus this year even though I felt last year was the time to start doing it being so close to the SB. Whatever we lack now we can fill in with veteran cuts and releases come June 1st.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are you guys joking... we gave up WAY TOO MUCH for him.. are you kidding me we give up three picks to draft a guy who was a backup de for all of his carrer besides the last 10 games of usc's season.... we just drafted a co special team player of the year in the first round... that was the worst pick we could have ever possibly made.. hes an undersized linebacker and an undersized de.. hes absolutely useless..id much rather have poppinga started at olb then him... i am completely dissapointed we drafted a back up/ speacial teams player in the first round...its embarassing

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
are you guys joking... we gave up WAY TOO MUCH for him.. are you kidding me we give up three picks to draft a guy who was a backup de for all of his carrer besides the last 10 games of usc's season.... we just drafted a co special team player of the year in the first round... that was the worst pick we could have ever possibly made.. hes an undersized linebacker and an undersized de.. hes absolutely useless..id much rather have poppinga started at olb then him... i am completely dissapointed we drafted a back up/ speacial teams player in the first round...its embarassing
Backups at USC could normally start at pretty much every other university. Matt Cassel, career backup, Mark Sanchez, backup for a few years. It's says nothing about Matthews that he was a backup at the most talent deep school in the country. He's a good player. Did you watch USC at all this year? Guy makes plays all over the field.

And as far as the "we gave up too much" argument, a first for Brett Favre in the early 90s, would you have done that or would it have been too much? Sometimes you gotta overpay to get your guy.

PackerFan89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great 1st round for the Packers. B.j Raji and Clay Matthews both great players and can step in right away to help our less than great defense as we swtich to the 3-4. I have high expectations for these two young guys.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Backups at USC could normally start at pretty much every other university. Matt Cassel, career backup, Mark Sanchez, backup for a few years. It's says nothing about Matthews that he was a backup at the most talent deep school in the country. He's a good player. Did you watch USC at all this year? Guy makes plays all over the field.

And as far as the "we gave up too much" argument, a first for Brett Favre in the early 90s, would you have done that or would it have been too much? Sometimes you gotta overpay to get your guy.
regardless if he was at usc or not he was still a back up linebacker in college... this isnt college anymore this is the nfl... if you can't even start in college how could i believe he will be amazing in the nfl.. i cant help but doubt him... he only started 10 games and that was because of injury to the starter..he ranked 4th on the team in tackles so that means we got the worst usc linebacker in the draft and we wasted a first rounder on him... cassel i dont think is good.. sanchez at least started his entire last season and did amazing and brett cant even be compared in this situation.. we didnt draft brett.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
regardless if he was at usc or not he was still a back up linebacker in college... this isnt college anymore this is the nfl... if you can't even start in college how could i believe he will be amazing in the nfl.. i cant help but doubt him... he only started 10 games and that was because of injury to the starter..he ranked 4th on the team in tackles so that means we got the worst usc linebacker in the draft and we wasted a first rounder on him... cassel i dont think is good.. sanchez at least started his entire last season and did amazing and brett cant even be compared in this situation.. we didnt draft brett.
So he was behind Cushing and Maualuga, a first round pick and a guy that should've been a first round pick, and Maiava, an underrated linebacker on that team. He's better than Maiava, at the very least, he's got more of the tools that translate to the NFL. He filled a need better than Maualuga would have, so there's the tie breaker there. He started as a walk-on at USC and worked his way up to a first round draft pick, and he's going to continue to improve. I'm not saying he's going to be a hall of famer, but I think it's a good solid pick. I think Matthews will come in and contribute this year. I strongly believe he will be our starter against Chicago in the opener. The kid has all the potential in the world, he's got the pedigree, he's got the motor, he's got all the tools, and now he's got his chance.

Cassel is good, you don't go 11-5 if you're bad. You don't do what he did last year if you're bad. He was rock solid for them all year. And he had his team 11-5 in a much tougher division than, say the NFC North or basically any NFC division that isn't the East.

And the Favre thing, we gave up a bunch to get an unproven guy (all rookies are unproven until they play an NFL down) from USC this year, back then we gave up a bunch to get an unproven guy from Southern Miss. I'd say it's actually a pretty similar situation.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is the lamest thing to say, but there are just intangibles that you can not measure on some people; work ethic, will to play, commit to excellence.

This guy is the real deal. I went to EVERY USC home game the last 3-4 years, since that is the college team to watch hear, and he was just awesome in the downs I saw him play. Smart, Athletic, and an overall badass. This pick is going to pay dividends, mark my words!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the too much sentence. It looked like this, but it's not even close. The picks we had at 3rd were Brandon Tate and Derek Cox, while with the 5th round pick we got, we chose Jamon Meredith. It's a GREAT deal. And if you wanna talk about all the other players we passed on, go look at what we could've got. NOTHING AT ALL. Jared Cook and Chase Coffman were good options, but with Meredith we get a STEAL and he fills a much more needed role...

dylancroeker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great pick for both Matthews and the Pack. Sure, we gave up a lot, which hurts, but Matthews has got NOICE skills. A great support staff. Kampman, Barnett, Matthews, Hawk? Are you kidding? That **** is sick. I think that has potential to be THE best linebacking core in the league. Also Poppinga can give us the ability to let Kampman put his hand in the grass again if injuries hit us. I really think our front 7 is off the chain thanks to our first rounders. Also, it's pretty YOUNG which means we can work on the secondary which is old as dirty while these guys mature, so we'll never be without a defensive strength to work from.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT finally does something ultra risky in his 5th draft. Playing it safe was only getting mediocre results. This one seems to be a potentially high reward, as long as Matthews continues his ascent, & it seems like the sky's the limit judging by his freakish skills.

Giving up the remainder of Day One picks & the early part of Day Two's for Matthews seemed like a Sherman shim sham at first. I personally was confident in the current group of OLBs being able take care of business, with maybe Thompson or Hunter supplanting Popp & Chillar as Kampman's counterpart. However, since TT seems to have clearly done the homework on Matthews, it was most definitely worth the gamble to move up & snag him. I think I even saw TT on the YouTube of USC's Pro Day.

Wow, I complimented TT. What's up with that?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that drove people mad about TT is that he completely dismounted what Sherman did. He though that team was on the downfall, and needed to rebuild the whole team. That's why he drafted the way he did, and he thinks now he can go get the players that will fit our scheme. I didn't see it back then, and I, too, thought that we didn't need to rebuild this bad. But the thing is, it needed to be done sooner or later.
Of course, if he have a bad year, all of this is bull, as football is about result, as Lombardi once said. But the strategy TT is using in his stint in green bay is pretty much that, I believe. Rebuild the core, and then complement with players that fit the needs of the team.
BTW, that's what the Lions and Broncos are doing. Of course, when you give a franchise qb, and a 1st round pick for a second rounder, you're not helping your franchise...

Members online

Latest posts