2007 Running Attack

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not seen much of a running game so far. People make up excuses of running vanilla rushing plays, and no cut blocking, but the running attack has been non-existent. Looks like our starting RB will be Jackson, then Herron, White, Wynn. I like White and Wynn more than Jackson. I just like the size of White and Wynn.\
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=655211

Reaction score
I trust in Mike McCarthy.

He has said that the run blocking will be better when the season starts, and I think he is a man of his word.

I'm a little concerned about the health of our RBs, no question. But I'm more worried about the O-line opening some lanes. They've shown they can do that in patches, hopefully it just comes together.

I also think with some better planning, our o-line will be ready to adjust to what the Eagles throw. The NFL is a copycat league, so I wonder if the Eagles will use some of the tactics employed by the Jags to counter our ZB.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I'm a little concerned about the health of our RBs, no question. But I'm more worried about the O-line opening some lanes. They've shown they can do that in patches, hopefully it just comes together.

I also think with some better planning, our o-line will be ready to adjust to what the Eagles throw. The NFL is a copycat league, so I wonder if the Eagles will use some of the tactics employed by the Jags to counter our ZB.

no doubt the Eagles will be watching what the jags did. The passing game has set up the running game so far in pre-season, I'm sure this will be the case come the regular season as well.

the pack may have to go with jackson, Wynn, white this season, if these guys get off to a decent start, and the O line can create lanes to run through, this could be the key to a winning season. If the running game does not get on-track untill November, it will be a long season for Packer fans.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock: Gb best use the waiver wires and get a decent RB as soon as possible. They are in deep doo-doo in the running game if not addressed asap.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything leading up to the regular season says MM is going to pass first and set up the run.

1) It fits the personnel we have. ( I mean Driver vs. Morency?) (Jennings and Jones vs. Heron and White?)

2) It fits the division we are in. All kickass against the run and all are suspect against the pass.

It would be rather stupid to make a huge effort to claim the running game as the soul of the team in a division like ours and I believe MM has done his homework.

Let Brett reel off five out of six completions and get them moving and sneak the runs in there when the defense is thinking pass. That's how this offense will roll.

Don't let MM kid you. He is going to throw it 60% if not more I don't care what he says about balance. In our division you score a few points and beat on the other teams offense.

He didn't have them throw it this much in the pre season just to see if Brett still has the arm.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was very little wiggle room this whole preseason for any RB to get through. LaDamian T would have had a tough time gaining yards. I do believe that we vanilla'd down the cut blocking and ZBS for the preseason, and the fact that the ZBS works for 60 minutes, not 6 runs/qrtr. Plus it's designed to break down and wear down the D-line, which in preseason consisted of 3 seperate units. I am not too concerned based on Preseason but after the opener we will see where we are.
BTW- I hope the Eagles mirror the JAG's, as we were up 10-0 vs before we pulled our starters.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe that we vanilla'd down the cut blocking and ZBS for the preseason

This is what has been said multiple times by coaches and players, but I hope this doesn't get in the way of good rants by the negative nancies.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Everything leading up to the regular season says MM is going to pass first and set up the run.

1) It fits the personnel we have. ( I mean Driver vs. Morency?) (Jennings and Jones vs. Heron and White?)

2) It fits the division we are in. All kickass against the run and all are suspect against the pass.

It would be rather stupid to make a huge effort to claim the running game as the soul of the team in a division like ours and I believe MM has done his homework.

Let Brett reel off five out of six completions and get them moving and sneak the runs in there when the defense is thinking pass. That's how this offense will roll.

Don't let MM kid you. He is going to throw it 60% if not more I don't care what he says about balance. In our division you score a few points and beat on the other teams offense.

He didn't have them throw it this much in the pre season just to see if Brett still has the arm.

I agree with the notion that the Pack will be a pass first, but they have to be able to run the ball consistently in the second half of games to keep our Defense off the field.

Also we have to be able to put some balance on the field... Our WR aren't burners.. so if we can't run the ball defenses will jump those short routes not too long into the season. There we will be.. a trying to throw over the short coverages and throw a greater percentage of picks.

With this ZB scheme we should have no problem running the ball without a decent back. Or at least that was the claim earlier in the year. We have to be able to run the ball if we want to make some noise this year.

We gotta get it done, end of story.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line with ZBS is you have to have a decent D to give you the patience for it to work. Too many times last year, especially earlier on in the season, our D gave up too many points forcing our O to play catch up and abandon the run. This year our D looks very solid, so we should be able to stick with the game plan.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line with ZBS is you have to have a decent D to give you the patience for it to work. Too many times last year, especially earlier on in the season, our D gave up too many points forcing our O to play catch up and abandon the run. This year our D looks very solid, so we should be able to stick with the game plan.

spot on.

Denver has been doing it for years ... i dont see whats so hard to understand.

Olandis Gary, Rueben Droughns, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell... All have had 1000 yard rushing seasons in Denver and then gone on to do nothing.
Its not about the running back boys... its about the oline
Since 1999 NO running back has had more than 2 consecutive seasons in Denver. With the ZBS a running back is as disposable as a dhpacker argument.

And to be honest with you, its no so much the O-line as it is the system and how well its run. Denver has had a revolving door at O-line since they started the ZBS and have had winning season after winning season in a tougher conference.

like cali said... its based on a 60 minute game plan built around a solid defense that can keep you in ball games. pair that system up ... with a more than capable QB (something denver hasnt had) and your in business.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seriously... look at that list of Denver Running backs... not one of you thought that those names would be recognizable before they played in Denver.

then think about our O-line progressing and playing together for a full year.
and the fact that they say they havent gone 100% in the preseason.

and then tell me your still worried about getting a proven running back

i fully understand that i could be overrating our version of the ZBS and that we could possibly have the worst rushing attack in the NFL ....

but me... i aint sweatin it.

Pack93z

Reaction score
The is my only real question about the preseason.. we haven't cut in camp which makes a ton of sense.. don't chop our own guys.

But why not at least for a series or two run a couple of plays with some backside cuts just to make sure the timing and footwork are there..

It is a catch 22 I know.. but we shall see what we have in 9 days..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The is my only real question about the preseason.. we haven't cut in camp which makes a ton of sense.. don't chop our own guys.

But why not at least for a series or two run a couple of plays with some backside cuts just to make sure the timing and footwork are there..

im with you... youd think we at least try it to see if it worked for a series... but maybe they are just that confident.

i think so.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At least this group is comfortable with it, and used to it.

Last year, most of them were doing it for the first time at the NFL level, and it wasnt very great early on. This year that won't be the case.

I think I'm one of the few people not worried about this at all (and it has nothing to do with me liking the moves thompson makes as GM, its more of a common sense thing).

Pack93z

Reaction score
im with you... youd think we at least try it to see if it worked for a series... but maybe they are just that confident.

i think so.

Maybe or maybe they are rolling the dice a little..
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Let Favre and the passing attack carry us a little while until we see what we have when the bullets are flying... And a ***-kicking defense :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let Favre and the passing attack carry us a little while until we see what we have when the bullets are flying... And a ***-kicking defense :lol:

This is what im talkin about. Lets circle the wagons, get hyped up, root for our team, bash other teams, and represent!

Lets wait for our first loss before we start *****ing endlessly(and it will happen).

(I have no idea what circle the wagons means, but I like saying it)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

This is what im talkin about. Lets circle the wagons, get hyped up, root for our team, bash other teams, and represent!

Lets wait for our first loss before we start *****ing endlessly(and it will happen).

(I have no idea what circle the wagons means, but I like saying it)

exactly how bout we cheer on our own team and bash the others for a change. thats what a fan really is right?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has said many times you have to look at the run game over four quarters and that makes sense when you look at last year. Our running game was night and day better in the second half of games.

MM will in no way abandon the run but, like a boxer, you lead with one hand or the other. I say we lead with the pass and as our defense creates more 3 and outs we gut them with the run when they get tired.

Considering the strengths and weakness' of the division it makes sense.

As far as what we can gather from what has transpired in pre season I would say about absolutely nothing. I'm certain MM has a handle on it but we on the outside looking in cannot, or at least I can't, assess it at all.

I know our "0" line is nine mountains above where they were last year at this time.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you not be worried, I feel that is the biggest question mark on the team and may very well mean the difference between playoff contention and also ran status.

None of the backs has proven anything at the professional level; the backs have been banged up all TC, our tackles seem somewhat out of place in the ZB system, and even when we had a proven back GB seemed to favor P over run by a fair margin.

I believe the cut blocks, etc. on the OL and a more complex playbook will help the running game when the regular season starts and if the backs can stay healthy we should be ok. However, this will remain until proven otherwise the biggest hole on this team and may sink a promising season.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has said many times you have to look at the run game over four quarters and that makes sense when you look at last year. Our running game was night and day better in the second half of games.

MM will in no way abandon the run but, like a boxer, you lead with one hand or the other. I say we lead with the pass and as our defense creates more 3 and outs we gut them with the run when they get tired.

Considering the strengths and weakness' of the division it makes sense.

As far as what we can gather from what has transpired in pre season I would say about absolutely nothing. I'm certain MM has a handle on it but we on the outside looking in cannot, or at least I can't, assess it at all.

I know our "0" line is nine mountains above where they were last year at this time.

another words....

as Chuck Norris used to say in Delta Force 2

"i'm gonna hit you with so many rights, your gonna beg for a left"

were gonna hit em so many times with one thing they will beg for us to do it the other way.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried because I have no idea how good or how bad it will be. I don't think it's going to be good but I really don't know anything about the Packers running game. I'm as clueless as I was entering training camp. I think we'll know more come Philly. Right now it's just speculation.

I'm not that optimistic about it though.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you not be worried, I feel that is the biggest question mark on the team and may very well mean the difference between playoff contention and also ran status.

None of the backs has proven anything at the professional level; the backs have been banged up all TC, our tackles seem somewhat out of place in the ZB system, and even when we had a proven back GB seemed to favor P over run by a fair margin.

I believe the cut blocks, etc. on the OL and a more complex playbook will help the running game when the regular season starts and if the backs can stay healthy we should be ok. However, this will remain until proven otherwise the biggest hole on this team and may sink a promising season.

that is how I feel about it as well. sooner or later teams are going to start to shut some of those short passing crossing patterns down, and the Pack is going to have to run.
I also believe the running game wil be the deciding factor in a winning season.

Latest posts