2007 Has a very very strong WR class.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very strong WR class. Calvin Johnson,Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., Jeff Samardzija, Sidney Rice, Dwayne Bowe, and Robert Meachem are all first round talents. Obviously they all won't go first round, but they are all talented enough. I think we should go round 1- RB- Marshawn Lynch Round 2 -WR/CB depending on which WR's and CB's are left pick whoever is the best available.

Also Calvin Johnson doesn't want to play for the Raiders

Report: Cal Johnson doesn't want to go to OAK
Calvin Johnson - WR - CLG - Jan. 7 - 11:25 am et
Georgia Tech junior wide receiver Calvin Johnson is reportedly gauging the Raiders' interest in him, and may elect not to declare for the NFL Draft if Oakland seems poised to take him No. 1 overall.
This appears to be a stretch, considering he'll be guaranteed roughly $25 million. NBC's Peter King reported Saturday that Oakland would likely choose LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the top pick. Jan. 7 - 11:25 am

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very strong WR class. Calvin Johnson,Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., Jeff Samardzija, Sidney Rice, Dwayne Bowe, and Robert Meachem are all first round talents. Obviously they all won't go first round, but they are all talented enough. I think we should go round 1- RB- Marshawn Lynch Round 2 -WR/CB depending on which WR's and CB's are left pick whoever is the best available.

Also Calvin Johnson doesn't want to play for the Raiders

Report: Cal Johnson doesn't want to go to OAK
Calvin Johnson - WR - CLG - Jan. 7 - 11:25 am et
Georgia Tech junior wide receiver Calvin Johnson is reportedly gauging the Raiders' interest in him, and may elect not to declare for the NFL Draft if Oakland seems poised to take him No. 1 overall.
This appears to be a stretch, considering he'll be guaranteed roughly $25 million. NBC's Peter King reported Saturday that Oakland would likely choose LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the top pick. Jan. 7 - 11:25 am

Man, I hate it when a guy that hasn't played a down in the NFL starts making noise about where he wants to play. He should be happpy he has been blessed w/a talent to play and be grateful he has an opportunity to get paid to play football.

Why would you turndown a chance to be the first pick in the draft? You can't get any better than that.

And Oakland is a HUGE football town, w/a the nite life a young guy would be interested in.

What else does the guy want?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been to Oakland, their isnt much to see really and the Raiders struggle to sell out games.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I hate it when a guy that hasn't played a down in the NFL starts making noise about where he wants to play. He should be happpy he has been blessed w/a talent to play and be grateful he has an opportunity to get paid to play football.

Why would you turndown a chance to be the first pick in the draft? You can't get any better than that.

And Oakland is a HUGE football town, w/a the nite life a young guy would be interested in.

What else does the guy want?

I agree, but I don't mind if a player opts not to declare for one more year.

:twocents: I absolutely loathe Eli Manning and John Elway because they both whined about going to the teams that were projected to pick them. The difference I see in Calvin's situation is that he can just play another year at GT, finish his education, (which is never a bad thing, right AADP?) and take his chances in '08.

Matt Lienart did the same thing to avoid going to San Fran, and no one really seemed to mind-

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless GB can get Jarrett or Johnson they are better off looking elsewhere with their 1st round pick. Rookie WR's don't come in and give you great sucess right away. Jennings may of looked average on paper but he had a pretty solid rookie season. Colston had an amazing rookie season. So while it's a deep position, GB IMO would be better off signing 2 TE's and 1 WR via free agency than looking at the Draft.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Stallworth in GB, he's a playmaker.

Tony G is going to get the franchise tag so maybe Daniel Graham and Patrick Crayton (Dallas) would be nice pickups. Then get a TE in the later rounds. Maybe 3rd or 4th. That's a start and we still have Jenning who should improve. Robinson coming back and Holiday and Martin. I don't want to see them dump huge money for someone not worth. Drew Bennett for example. He'll get a huge contract because there is no one else and he'll give you 800 yards and 7 touchdowns in all likely hood. Nothing extreme. However I'd pay big money to Tony G if possible but not at the price of two 1sts.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Well, Johnson just declared, and he's projected to #1 to the Raiders. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

Really? I've heard that Oakland really wants JaMarcus Russell.

#1 on some scouts draft boards. That means they think he's the best player. that doesn't mean he's projected to go to Oakland. Russell right now is projected to go to Oakland in all likely hood.

Kind of like last year. Reggie Bush was #1 on most boards but Mario Williams went #1.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Kind of like last year. Reggie Bush was #1 on most boards but Mario Williams went #1.

LOL cmon ...that is true but that was an oddball situation with his family being investigated shortly before the draft.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

LOL cmon ...that is true but that was an oddball situation with his family being investigated shortly before the draft.

Then Deion Sanders back in the day. I believe Fitzgerald was #1 on Kiper's board and Eli Manning went #1 overall. Generally teams will take the QB over the WR and in this case I see no difference. Though who knows with Al Davis and the Raiders. Taking the WR over the QB or LT is something he’d probably consider strongly.

That investigation kind of fell through. From what I read Houston wanted Mario Williams and they used their current GM as a scapegoat by letting him make the pick and then he coincidentally resigns a few weeks later.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

Then Deion Sanders back in the day. I believe Fitzgerald was #1 on Kiper's board and Eli Manning went #1 overall. Generally teams will take the QB over the WR and in this case I see no difference. Though who knows with Al Davis and the Raiders. Taking the WR over the QB or LT is something he’d probably consider strongly.

That investigation kind of fell through. From what I read Houston wanted Mario Williams and they used their current GM as a scapegoat by letting him make the pick and then he coincidentally resigns a few weeks later.

The key is it fell through AFTER the draft. I think the damage was done before hand. That coupled with Bush wanting wanting big money and was (this is only here say) kind of a ***** and shrugged off an interview with the Texans.

Much like the Chargers did with Eli, I could see the Raiders taking him jus so they can get an extra pick or two.

Members online

Latest posts