2007 Free Agents

Reaction score
A list of free agents in the upcoming off-season.

After looking at that list, who are some possible names you would like the Packers to go after?

Personally, Clements would be someone I wouldn't mind. 2 pro-bowls is a good feat, and he has the tools to be a great shutdown corner. With Al getting older and older, and Woodson having the chance of getting injured at any time, I think he would be a great addition. (I'd move Harris to safety, keep Manuel until the start of week one and cut him then or trade him before gameday thus spreading the caphit out over 2 years at 2 million per year)

Ditto Dwight Freeney. KGB and Freeney on passing plays would be enough to make even Manuel look solid as a safety. I'd also hope Freeney could mentor Jason Hunter, who has very similar speed.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
By the way, let's keep the "TT is cheap, so he won't go after them, etc." stuff away.

Who do you think would be a good fit in Green Bay, and perhaps a possible explination as to why you think so. :)

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Wouldn't Indy try to sign him again?

Of course, but considering the big money contracts of Wayne, Harrison, and Manning, not to mention they also have Cato June as a FA, they may offer him an amount that Freeney thinks isn't good enough, thus he may decide to test the market. It will be tough getting Freeney signed and not letting him test out a market in which someone will end up opening the bank for him.

At least that's the way I see it. :)

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freeney would be good.

However, we have a large sum of money invested in two Defensive Ends already; KGB & Kampman. Kampman is the best player on defense (he isn't leaving anytime soon) and KGB would have to be cut, but it wouldn't be worth facing that cap hit and then shell out more money to Freeney.

Packers would need to overpay for Freeney to get him too.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Wow!
Is the 2006 season over already?

I guess in parts it is.

You know, scouts have already started getting ready for the 07 draft.

News flash: 1/4 of the season is only done.

Every GM goes into the offseason with an idea of who they will go after, it isn't like an overnight essay thrown together for highschool. Believe it or not, GM's do decide their budgets and spending amounts on FA's with an outlook on next years possible FA class.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
By the way, let's keep the "TT is cheap, so he won't go after them, etc." stuff away.

Who do you think would be a good fit in Green Bay, and perhaps a possible explination as to why you think so. :)

Then this thread will die pretty soon :(

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
all about da packers said:

Then this thread will die pretty soon :(

Thanks for contributing.

AADP.....depending on Favre we may want to get a veteran QB in here to compete with Rodgers. Don't laugh but I'd give Chris Simms a shot. Shaub will be too rich.

If we don't re-sign Ahman Green we are going to need serious help at RB. This will probably have to come out of the draft. I don't see alot of help from free agents there.

Nate Clements at CB would be great and If you can add Michael Lewis from the eagles at safety we would actually have a strong defensive backfield.

Something tells me the Colts will slap the franchise tag on Freeney.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Clements and some consideration would also have to be given to the FA Safeties(Lewis, Hamlin or Carter).

Unless the draft would indicate DB in the early 1st round, I would assume they would be looking to shore up RB with that pick.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Greenbay should go for TE Eric Johnson, San Fran has Vernon Davis now, and Johnson has alot more speed and playmaking ability than Bubba. We need an extra DL that can put pressure on the QB, some money should get thrown there. Nate Clements would be great but i dont think we would get another overpriced CB. The saftey market is horrid! I see our RB going through the draft.

I really dont think we need a veteran QB to compete with A-rod. If he hasnt learned anything from the bench watching Favre then he wont learn anything from the bench watching someone else.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos. We need a veteran ZBS guy on the OL

Dwight Freeney, UFA, Indianapolis Colts. We've needed more pass rush since RW left

Nate Clements, UFA, Buffalo Bills. 'nuff said

Jerramy Stevens, UFA, Seattle Seahawks. Besides catching ability we'll need a TE who can block as well.

OL,DE,DB,andTE.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Clements. Does anyone know if Slaton from West Virginia can come out this year. We'd be set at RB for the next 10 years if we were able to land him in the draft but I think he might just be a sophmore.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice find.

I'd like to see Ken Hamlin brought in. TT is familiar with him and unlike Manuel I think we all know he can play.

Eric Steinbach might be an interesting prospect. He has nice size for our system and can move well. I think he'd be a great signing for our offensive line.

Michael Turner in my opinion is the real deal. He's an RFA so SD compensation might be high pending the level of tender they give him. If it's just for the round he was picked in then I'd sign him since I believe he was a 4th rounder. I think he'd work well here. I think he'll be solid no matter where.

Obviously Freeny will help any team but if I'm not mistaken didn't the Colts sign him to an extension?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like clements as well, but i gotta say three things about him.

1. Buffalo doesn't want to let him go. Good chance he gets re-signed or tagged.

2. As the only CB of his caliber on the free market, he'll get vastly overpaid. Not saying 'Ted's cheap', just that we shouldn't pay him as much as he's likely to look for.

3. Chuck & Al. We pay Woodson too much to have him as our nickel. And, there's the chance he steps up his play, which we all know is a possibility. Al has another year left, and I think front office believes him to be starter-caliber as well.

Again, Clements gets my heart all a-flutter, but I just don't think there's much chance of it.

I think Freeney gets franchised, and am happy with our DL starters, but I really like Mike Turner. Don't know how he'd do in a zone scheme, but he is a stud.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, and I also think D. Graham from NE would help vastly. Don't know a huge amount about him, but I do know he's a stud as well. I like our young O-line guys, but I don't know how our tackles are doin in the new scheme.....

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a pretty shallow class compared to last year. I think the FA solution horse has bolted!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I would like clements as well, but i gotta say three things about him.

1. Buffalo doesn't want to let him go. Good chance he gets re-signed or tagged.

2. As the only CB of his caliber on the free market, he'll get vastly overpaid. Not saying 'Ted's cheap', just that we shouldn't pay him as much as he's likely to look for.

3. Chuck & Al. We pay Woodson too much to have him as our nickel. And, there's the chance he steps up his play, which we all know is a possibility. Al has another year left, and I think front office believes him to be starter-caliber as well.

Again, Clements gets my heart all a-flutter, but I just don't think there's much chance of it.

I think Freeney gets franchised, and am happy with our DL starters, but I really like Mike Turner. Don't know how he'd do in a zone scheme, but he is a stud.

Didnt buffalo promise not to use the Tag again since they used it this year and Clements was saying he would hold out if they didnt promise not to use it next year

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos. We need a veteran ZBS guy on the OL

Dwayne Carswell was cut by the Broncos and is currently without a home so if we really wanted him i think he would already be on our team plus he is 34 and will be 35 on Jan 18

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts