2007 Draft Pick

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manuel is TT's boy and is hardly likely to be replaced anytime soon.

TT was willing to part ways with Will Whitticker and several other players that he's drafted or signed over the past couple years, so I doubt that he will stick by Manuel unless he plays better.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, time will tell. Lets not forget that Whitticker and the other players you refer to cost a fraction of what Manuel costs. If Manuel doesnt work out, its going to be TT's biggest FA mistake till date.

I also remember reading somwhere that Manuel's worth also lay in his ability to be a leader in the secondary, read offenses and call defensive plays. If that is the case then he may not be judged on the basis of missed tackles and getting beat every now and then.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, time will tell. Lets not forget that Whitticker and the other players you refer to cost a fraction of what Manuel costs. If Manuel doesnt work out, its going to be TT's biggest FA mistake till date.

I also remember reading somwhere that Manuel's worth also lay in his ability to be a leader in the secondary, read offenses and call defensive plays. If that is the case then he may not be judged on the basis of missed tackles and getting beat every now and then.

Manuel's deal isn't that huge in football terms. Cutting him wouldn't be a huge hit. In fact GB could easily absorb that hit. I think Manuel will be here another year. I think he'll be here and competing in camp for a starting spot but certainly not a lock to start because Ted Thompson signed him. Ted Thompson is going to bring in someone else to compete with him or we might already have him in Marvel Underwood. That's another one of his "boys" The Packers will play the best overall players. You better believe both Manuel and Collins will have some competition in camp next year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Manuel is TT's boy and is hardly likely to be replaced anytime soon.

TT was willing to part ways with Will Whitticker and several other players that he's drafted or signed over the past couple years, so I doubt that he will stick by Manuel unless he plays better.

Didnt TT cut his draft pick, Cory Rodgers too? But yeah, TT wont get rid of someone cuz hes 'his boy.'

Out of all the TT criticisms, this is the one that makes the least sense.

We need a new safety, simple as that. Manuel would be a solid backup.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While my remark was facetious, the point I was hoping to make was that Manuel's signing didnt seem to be the typical audition FAs at the position, choose the best for your needs, agree terms.

Manuel was sought out by TT and his first FA signing of the preseason. Quote from a JS Online article at the time:

"General manager Ted Thompson paid Manuel $2 million in bonuses because he thought the former Seattle Seahawks starter could come in and run the Packers' secondary. Thompson thought the unit lacked a conductor, and in particular needed someone who could mentor young safety Nick Collins and free him to use his playmaking ability."

Just as many of us at the time may have chosen Jim Bates/Sean Peyton over MM or a "bigger name" than McCarthy, TT had his reasons for his choice.

The point I was simply trying to make is that while some of us may think we need a new safety, we dont know if TT has reached the same conclusion.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While my remark was facetious, the point I was hoping to make was that Manuel's signing didnt seem to be the typical audition FAs at the position, choose the best for your needs, agree terms.

Manuel was sought out by TT and his first FA signing of the preseason. Quote from a JS Online article at the time:

"General manager Ted Thompson paid Manuel $2 million in bonuses because he thought the former Seattle Seahawks starter could come in and run the Packers' secondary. Thompson thought the unit lacked a conductor, and in particular needed someone who could mentor young safety Nick Collins and free him to use his playmaking ability."

Just as many of us at the time may have chosen Jim Bates/Sean Peyton over MM or a "bigger name" than McCarthy, TT had his reasons for his choice.

The point I was simply trying to make is that while some of us may think we need a new safety, we dont know if TT has reached the same conclusion.

While we all can agree we don't know what is going on inside TT's head we can look back to just last year. Ted Thompson went out and signed a par guards. That didn't work. He was fast to replace them and it's worked out well this year. So T.T. has prove to be fast to jump ship on some of these guys.

If Manuel doesn't get the job done I think T.T. will not hesitate to make a move. Like stated it wouldn’t shock me to see competition at both Strong and Free next camp. In all likely hood Manuel will remain a Packer next year but safety will be a wide open competition and Manuel will have to win out instead of getting the job by default.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record. If as is suggested, TT brought Manuel in for a very specific set of reasons, then while evaluating Manuel's performance against those considerations, it is possible that he may not take such a dim view of his performance as we do. And if that is the case, then safety may not be the no. 1 position addressed in the 2007 draft and which is also how this whole discussion began.

If my original remark seemed to suggest favouritism on TT's part, that was not my intention.

gdgipson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
Oakland Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
Tampa Bay Gaines Adams DE Clemson
Arizona Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin
Houston Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
Cleveland Leon Hall CB Michigan

Who would guys take here?

Reggie Nelson FS Florida
Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio St.
Alan Branch DT Michigan
Sam Baker OT USC
LaRon Landry S L.S.U.
Jake Long OT Michigan
Paul Posluszny OLB Penn St.
Ted Ginn WR Ohio St.
JaMarcus Russell QB LSU
Quentin Moses DE Georgia
Brian Brohm QB Louisville
Justin Blalock OG Texas
Levi Brown OT Penn St.
Marshawn Lynch RB California

Nelson can play Corner and Safety, thats why I think he is intriguing for the Pack. Maybe Pittcock or Lynch?

gdgipson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Brainer, wouldnt be surprised to see them get him at 2 either

Bye bye Moss and Porter

Time for a Face Lift on D in Tampa, especially if Rice is gone

Obvious choice here

Green Bay Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
They need Secondary help, but how do you pass on Peterson with an Injury prone Green, who is a FA

Houston Leon Hall CB Michigan
Signed Phil Buchanon in offseason, sort of desperately. Hall would be a huge help

Cleveland Marshawn Lynch RB California
Drafted Winslow, Drafted Edwards, time to get Playmaking RB

Washington Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio St.
Wouldnt be surprised to see Branch and Okoye jump this dude. But for right now he is the Highest Rated DT, which is a Postition the Skins have needed to address for years

Minnesota JaMarcus Russell QB LSU
Looks alot like CPep. Bollinger isnt going to get the job done

Tennessee Sam Baker OT USC
Roos and Stewart arent the answer, Baker is so far the consensus pick as the Best OLineman available. If he comes out.

Pittsburgh Levi Brown OT Penn St.
This may be too high for Brown, but its time for some Fresh blood here, as well as at LB which is why "Puz" or "PWill" could be taken. 6'6" 331 Alan Branch might be taken too. T Jake Long from Michigan has supposedly said he is staying for Senior Season

San Francisco LaRon Landry S L.S.U.
Would be huge addition to atrocious Secondary that just let go of Parrish. He is a big hitter who went head up with McFadden one on one more than a couple of times and won. Nice pick up for those reminiscing of Ronnie Lott

Buffalo Alan Branch DT Michigan
Will probably Jump Pittcock but both would be upgrades over Anderson and Williams. Supposedly they want a RT but there isnt one here to have. Could be Looking at Brohm here too.

Miami Reggie Nelson FS Florida
Reggie Nelson

Philadelphia Paul Posluszny OLB Penn St.
Hometown guy, hopefully instantly help that Run D

St. Louis Patrick Willis ILB Ole Miss
Same Story, bad Run D, needs help. They tried to address the position a couple years ago with Coakley and Claiborne, didnt work out. Patrick Willis is a Forceful Presence on the field, I like watching him alot.

Kansas City Ted Ginn WR Ohio St.
who's Sammie Parker? DT Okoye looks good here too.

Atlanta Dwayne Jarret WR USC
Jarret has big play Potential and would be a big possession guy in a core of speed guys. He can get out and block too

N.Y. Giants Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
Seems like obvious choice. Was expected to go higher, offers fresh blood and depth

Carolina Brian Brohm QB Louisville
Weinke obviously isn’t the future, time to start grooming

Denver Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
Denver needs help all along the front. Best guy available

N.Y. Jets LaMarr Woodley DE Michigan
Provides that Pass Rush from a LB so critical in that 34

Jacksonville Quentin Moses DE Georgia
Needs a premier Pass Rusher that they have tried to fill through FA, well here one is

Cincinnati Michael Griffin S Texas
Dexter Jackson Strong Safety? They need a DT too, maybe Tank Tyler, but Griffin rated higher

New Orleans Justin Blalock OG Texas
Need a LB but there isn’t one here. Need a corner too, but why not go ahead and add a proven road grader to pave some paths for Reggie and Deuce

New England Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh
Asante Samuel is a FA and they have constant Injury problems and little depth.

Chicago Zach Miller TE Arizona State
Desmond Clark is good but Zach Miller is better

Indianapolis Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
Address the Problem already. LB would be a Reach

Dallas Sidney Rice WR South Carolina
They need a FS and Oline but how you pass up talent like Rice I don’t know. Especially with the possibility of the TO experiment going wrong and Glenn getting older. Not to mention an obvious upgrade over Crayton

Baltimore DeMarcus Tyler DT North Carolina St.
Zibi? Landry is playing well and Tyler would be upgrade over Gregg.

New England* Buster Davis ILB Florida St.
This is a Reach, but the LB situation in NE is dire.

San Diego Jeff Samardzija WR Notre Dame
If they could land him here, good for them, they need him

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is no way we will pass on Leon Hall, I actually think we would pick him over Adrian Peterson.

I don't. T.T. is all about the Best Player Available and Peterson is rated ahead of Hall on most rankings right now. Hall showed a lot of flaws against Ohio State. He had trouble against Ted Ginn and will probably be exposed some against Dwayne Jarrett as well.

gdgipson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had to change it up a bit. I would be very excited over the possibility of Landing Peterson. There are some good DB's to be had later.

No Brainer, wouldnt be surprised to see them get him at 2 either

Bye bye Moss and Porter

Time for a Face Lift on D in Tampa, especially if Rice is gone

Obvious choice here

Green Bay Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
They need Secondary help, but how do you pass on Peterson with an Injury prone Green, who is a FA

Houston Leon Hall CB Michigan
Signed Phil Buchanon in offseason, sort of desperately. Hall would be a huge help

Cleveland Marshawn Lynch RB California
Drafted Winslow, Drafted Edwards, time to get Playmaking RB

Washington Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio St.
Wouldnt be surprised to see Branch and Okoye jump this dude. But for right now he is the Highest Rated DT, which is a Postition the Skins have needed to address for years

Minnesota Sam Baker OT USC
Baker is so far the consensus pick as the Best OLineman available. If he comes out.

Tennessee Levi Brown OT Penn St.
This may be too high for Brown but Roos and Stewart aren’t getting it done. Could look at Branch here

Pittsburgh Alan Branch DT Michigan
Will probably Jump Pittcock. Branch at 6’6” 330 can probably play anywhere along the Pitt line. They could start reloading at Linebacker too and at CB

San Francisco LaRon Landry S L.S.U.
Would be huge addition to atrocious Secondary that just let go of Parrish. He is a big hitter who went head up with McFadden one on one more than a couple of times and won. Nice pick up for those reminiscing of Ronnie Lott

Buffalo JaMarcus Russell QB LSU
Supposedly the front office hasn’t liked Losman form day one

Miami Reggie Nelson FS Florida
Reggie Nelson is the Playmaker in the Secondary that they were looking for in Jason Allen

Philadelphia Michael Griffin S Texas
They need help on Run D, so a LB makes sense, but supposedly Reid doesn’t value LB’s this high, so they Reach for a Safety, which is a spot that needs Reloading

St. Louis Patrick Willis ILB Ole Miss
Bad Run D, needs help. They tried to address the position a couple years ago with Coakley and Claiborne, didnt work out. Patrick Willis is a Forceful Presence on the field, I like watching him alot.

Kansas City Ted Ginn WR Ohio St.
who's Sammie Parker? DT Okoye looks good here too.

Atlanta Dwayne Jarret WR USC
Jarret has big play Potential and would be a big possession guy in a core of speed guys. He can get out and block too

N.Y. Giants Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
Seems like obvious choice. Was expected to go higher, offers fresh blood and depth

Carolina Paul Posluszny OLB Penn St.
With Morgan being consistently injured, they have some question marks at the Position. Weinke is obviously not the Future, so maybe Brohm here

Denver Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
Denver needs help all along the front. Best guy available

N.Y. Jets LaMarr Woodley DE Michigan
Provides that Pass Rush from a LB so critical in that 34

Jacksonville Quentin Moses DE Georgia
Needs a premier Pass Rusher that they have tried to fill through FA, well here one is

Cincinnati DeMarcus Tyler DT North Carolina St
They need someone in the middle of that DLine to help stop the Run. They need a Safety too, and that would probably mean Zbikowski

New Orleans Justin Blalock OG Texas
Need a LB but there isn’t one here. Need a corner too, but why not go ahead and add a proven road grader to pave some paths for Reggie and Deuce

New England Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh
Asante Samuel is a FA and they have constant Injury problems and little depth.

Chicago Zach Miller TE Arizona State
Desmond Clark is good but Zach Miller is better

Indianapolis Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
Address the Problem already. LB would be a Reach

Dallas Sidney Rice WR South Carolina
They need a FS and Oline but how you pass up talent like Rice I don’t know. Especially with the possibility of the TO experiment going wrong and Glenn getting older. Not to mention an obvious upgrade over Crayton

Baltimore Brian Brohm QB Louisville .
Zibi? Landry is playing well and im not sure what the plans for Boller are but McNair isn’t a longterm solution, maybe Troy Smith here

New England* Buster Davis ILB Florida St.
This is a Reach, but the LB situation in NE is dire.

San Diego Jeff Samardzija WR Notre Dame
If they could land him here, good for them, they need him

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't like Peterson as an NFL RB.

He looks like a great runningback, however he has a bigtime flaw that will come back to hunt him in the pros, his running style is too upright and he wil get injured in the NFL, also he seems to be injury prone. He's a tough player and can play through minor injuries, but he will eventually get a more serious one.

I might be wrong, but I don't think we need an injury prone RB. Michael Bush looks like a much better prospect for the pros.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't like Peterson as an NFL RB.

I might be wrong, but I don't think we need an injury prone RB. Michael Bush looks like a much better prospect for the pros.

for the 77th time--
"I really don't think drafting a back in the first round is necessary, especially with our other needs"

If we get picks 5-7, I'm gonna trade down, get us an extra pick, and draft either Reggie Nelson, Laron Landry, Marcus McCauley, etc...I'm starting to like Reggie Nelson more at safety the more i think about it...

Ted Thompson always goes nuts over having value picks on draft day...watch for much of the same this april, because if we land a pick around 5 again I dont think there will be that stud guy there, like Hawk was, to go out and draft---lets make a team overpay us for the right to draft Adrian Peterson, Calvin johnson, etc.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also go with at least getting one safety with a high pick but I think after that no one will be an improvement over Collins maybe cause I still think he'll improve.
Even though we don't need a LT I agree that most people don't realize the value they've become. I could be wrong but I believe after QB they got the highest average salary by position. Remember when J. Ogden signed I believe at that time he was the highest paid player in the NFL. IF a LT can totally shut down an opposing team's best pass rusher his value is endless

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get how a rookie safety can come in and help the pass defense right away. Safety is a very tough position to learn in the NFL because you have to read the pass coverage and adjust to the games speed.

With Green being a free agent and getting up there I don't see how RB is not an immediate need. If Peterson is there then I think it's a no brainier. He projects to the NFL better as a RB than Reggie Bush. Calvin Johnson is also the best receiver prospect we've seen this decade and maybe the best ever. Trading down while those 2 on a board would be a sucide move especially since we need a game changing player on offense. If there not on the board then I rather get a Defensive lineman such as Gaines Adams or my personal favorite Alan Branch.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so now you are TT as well?

what is it to you...its a message board...where fans of a certain team post comments regarding the teams performance, etc...

wow i hate comments like this...the rhetorical questions that contribute zero to any topic...and posters like me get pissed off and go find other outlets to talk football

gdgipson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK I got a really bad Response in some other forums to the Adrian Peterson pick. It seems like for the most part people want a DB and I would think that Landry or Nelson would be the pick to replace MM

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK I got a really bad Response in some other forums to the Adrian Peterson pick. It seems like for the most part people want a DB and I would think that Landry or Nelson would be the pick to replace MM

Adrian Peterson is a good pick. Most Packer fans have trouble letting go of player who have done a lot for the team in the past. Such as Ahman Green. With Green being a free agent and McCarthy being offense a coach and the offense pretty much needing a consistent running, AP would be a no brainier.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky I can totally agree with your lolgic but I took the thread title as biggest need, not biggest need that the draft can solve for next year. I got no problem taking a RB in the first round next year especially if Brett comes back then try to adress the Safety issue through FA

Members online

Latest posts