1st round possibilities

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a decent list of possibilities. I personally would like either Ginn or Lynch, but if they are gone, I'd be happy with either Landry or Nelson.

Packer Report.com

First round possibilities

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Jan 20, 2007

PackerReport.com's Bob Fox lists nine players that the Packers should consider selecting, if they are available when Green Bay is on the clock in the first round of April's NFL draft.

By merit of their 8-8 record, the Green Bay Packers will have the 16th pick in the first round of the 2007 NFL draft. Who the Packers will take there depends on a lot of factors. Factors like free agency, trades, the scouting combine and, yes, the Brett Favre retirement question.

For now, I am assuming that Favre will return to the Packers for another season. The Packers still have some holes to fill on their roster before they can be considered serious contenders for supremacy in the NFC North. Here are some players that might be available for Green Bay when their time comes to pick:

Ted Ginn Jr. - WR/KR (Ohio State)
The Packers need more quality depth at wide receiver and also need a big boost in their return game. Ginn is still somewhat raw at the wide receiver position, but his speed (4.3 in the 40) is world class. Ginn has the ability to impact a return game similar to what Devin Hester did for the Bears. Ginn is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

Marshawn Lynch - RB (California)
The Packers will attempt to re-sign Ahman Green after the veteran put in a very solid year coming back from a severe injury. Green is no spring chicken, however, and Lynch is an elite RB that would fit in well in the Green Bay zone blocking scheme. Lynch has good size and has true playmaking ability, which is what the Packers desperately need on offense now.

Leon Hall - CB (Michigan)
Some have Hall's stock dropping because of his lack of great speed. But the Packers are old (but good) at the cornerback position, yet need to develop some young talent. Hall could immediately fit into the Packers' nickel and dime packages because of his strong coverage skills. Hall is a physical corner that also plays the run well.

Dwayne Jarrett - WR (USC)
Jarrett brings great size (6-5, 210 lbs) to the wide receiver position. He is also a touchdown maker as evidenced by his 41 career TDs at USC. Jarrett doesn't have Ginn-type speed but is more polished for the pro game. Jarrett also has excellent hands and will make the touch catch in traffic.

LaRon Landry - S (LSU)
Landry is another playmaker that plays the run and pass equally well. Landry has great size and has a nose for the football. Landry is a natural leader who is very smart and also lays the lumber. Landry is also very versatile having played both safety spots and cornerback.

Zach Miller - TE (Arizona State)
The Packers have a huge void at tight end right now as Bubba Franks' skills have clearly eroded. Some call Miller a poor man's Todd Heap and that would be OK for the Packers. The Packers desperately need a TE that will stretch the field and also make plays in the red zone, like Miller.

Reggie Nelson - S (Florida)
Nelson is a true ball hawk that also has the ability to play cornerback. Nelson has good coverage skills and he always seems to be around the football. Nelson is a little inexperienced with only two years at Florida, but his skills have elevated him to 1st round status.

Paul Posluszny - LB (Penn State)
Some call Posluszny a poor man's A.J. Hawk, which is good enough for me. Green Bay is pretty deep at linebacker, but Posluszny is simply a football player that makes plays. Posluszny is very instinctive and is always around the ball. He had more than 100 tackles three years in a row at Penn State. He also won the Butkus Award in 2005 and the Bednarik Award in both 2005 and 2006.

Sidney Rice - WR (South Carolina)
Rice is a bit raw, but is also a true playmaker. He had back-to-back solid seasons at South Carolina, averaging 71 catches and 11.5 TDs a year. Rice also has excellent size and has unlimited potential.

Bob Fox is a frequent contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at [email protected].

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the list. I'm intrigued to see two safeties on here. If there are no good safeties to be had in free agency, I think this should be Thompson's #1 priority. I'm leery of that Florida safety, though, because he has only played two years in college and is going to be very raw in the pros.

I also like the idea of taking a WR. Ginn and Jarrett have both looked impressive when I've seen them play, and Ginn has the added bonus of being a good kick returner--something the Packers desperately need.

The LB has to be a longshot, with Poppinga playing well at the end of the year. That would make no sense. I don't think we need a first-round RB, either. The TE is kind of interesting, and the CB is not out of the question, either. Still, I lean toward safety and WR.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Landry would be great...but he's going to the Falcons at 10.

Ted Ginn might be going to the niners at 11...

A guy I wouldn't mind having is Dwayne Bowe from LSU. Big fast reciever that isn't afraid of contact and will go over the middle.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would not shock me to see Green Bay take Dwayne Bowe over Dwayne Jarret at #16.

Just throwing that out there.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw all of these players multiple times on TV this year, and I thought that Posluszny and Nelson were the most impressive. However, in a completely theoretical situation, if all of those players were available at the 16th pick, I'd have to go with Marshawn Lynch.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw all of these players multiple times on TV this year, and I thought that Posluszny and Nelson were the most impressive. However, in a completely theoretical situation, if all of those players were available at the 16th pick, I'd have to go with Marshawn Lynch.

Man, kmac you certainly have a crush on anthony gonzo...

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a joke, but yeah, I think he's an awesome player and will end up as the 2nd best WR in this draft when it's all said and done

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a joke, but yeah, I think he's an awesome player and will end up as the 2nd best WR in this draft when it's all said and done

I dunno. It's possible of course, but he seems to struggle when he doesn't have a holmes or ginn next to him to take the pressure off...I think at best he can be a good complimentary reciever in the NFL. Just my opinion.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarret is not what we need, another possession receiver like Jennings and Driver. We need a deep threat. I agree with Ginn or Lynch. Leon Hall will be the biggest bust of the draft. Sucked at senior bowl and burned by both Jarret and Ginn when he played them. I take Lynch. Bowe drops too many balls and there will be quality receivers in round two. Landry is a stud if those two are gone. I suspect if Ginn and Lynch are gone TT will trade down.

theimbach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, howzabout paul P, PSU LB? think about it: him, nick barnett, and aj hawk at LB. that would be the best lb group in NFL history!!! Screw you all Bears fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Pack 2007!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, howzabout paul P, PSU LB? think about it: him, nick barnett, and aj hawk at LB. that would be the best lb group in NFL history!!! Screw you all Bears fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Pack 2007!!!

I disagree. That LB is the only player on the list who wouldn't be worth a first round pick for the Packers. We already have three good starting LBs, plus Hodge on the bench.

Your enthusiastic hatred of Bears fans is much appreciated, however.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Lynch but a if we can get a good WR or CB im happy. We wont draft Paul Posluszny we already have 2 first round LB's and if we drafted another 1st round LB that would be 3 which is to much money to throw at one position on defense

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
In position order, these are players I've seen mock drafts have the Packers taking at number 16th overall.

QB Troy Smith

RB Adrian Peterson
RB Marshawn Lynch

WR Sidney Rice
WR Ted Ginn
WR Dwayne Bowe
WR Dwayne Jarrett

T Levi Brown

DE Adam Carriker
DE Jamaal Anderson

DT Alan Branch
DT Amobi Okoye
DT Quinn Pitcock

FS Reggie Nelson

SS Laron Landry

CB Darrelle Revis
CB Marcus McCauley
CB Fred Bennett

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy Smith and Fred Bennett are probably not first round talents. Pitcock is only borderline 1st, early 2nd.

Adrian Peterson, Levi Brown, Alan Branch, and Jamaal Anderson are almost certain to go before 16.

Everyone else is not necessarily a complete idiot :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Troy Smith and Fred Bennett are probably not first round talents. Pitcock is only borderline 1st, early 2nd.

Adrian Peterson, Levi Brown, Alan Branch, and Jamaal Anderson are almost certain to go before 16.

Everyone else is not necessarily a complete idiot :lol:

Hey, not MY picks lol

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I know dude, just pointing it out.

However, if one of those 4 was busted with some ****** or something and fell to 16, cha-ching!

Latest posts