1st round....any position

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I hate myself for doing this, but I wanna talk draft, cause I'm still too PO'd to talk about this week's loss.

Personally think we should take another defensive player, like a superman LB for the middle or strong side (someone like Urlacher, Merriman, Lewis) to dominate with Hawk and have an impact right away.

But, I read the RB thread, and some peeps mentioned a wideout from GA Tech. (forgot his name, sorry) But, I didn't see any love for Teddy Ginn Jr. I watched some of his highlights from last season, and OMG that man can move. I have no idea what the buzz is about his draft position, but if we were to go WR, I want him.

Thoughts?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the slot we pick. If it is top ten, I want either a DE, CB, or RB. 11 - 20 and I go best available player. I don't think there is a position on the field we couldn't upgrade.

Linebacker is a touchy subject. From your post I would think you are not a Barnett fan? I would think we need to find out what Hodge can do before drafting another linebacker. I also think we should use our available cap space this year to lock up Barnett.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receiver you heard about is Calvin Johnson. The guy is a beast, at 6'4 230, and he's got speed as well. He has great hands, and can make big plays, and from what I've heard is a good personality off the field which is a plus. However, I think he's projected to go in the top 3, so we'd have to finish up the season pretty poorly. Adrian Peterson, a running back, is also a possibility projected to go in the top 5, the Pack will probably take a strong look at him. As far as the defensive side of the ball, a safety would be nice, but does Ted want to draft a replacement for Manuel, who he JUST signed? I don't know..

Reaction score
I'd have no problem with Jinn, but I just don't think TT will adress a position that isn't as needy as other positions.

If Morency can show some flashes, then we might ignore the RB position in the first round IMO.

I'd go with defense, anything but LB. S/DE/DT/CB.

If we are picking 20 or higher, I seriously consider a TE (if there is one to fit our system).

I wouldn't mind a WR in the first though. Give Rodgers another weapon.

With that said, as of right now I would think TT targets RB.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with most of the the top level teams.....draft is, and should be, by best available player regardless of position.

Now, with that being said, what position would I like most to be upgraded? Offensive line.

those of you who were around during wolf's reign will remember mostly unnoteworthy drafts. Hardly ever did he draft high profile. He got guys like Wahle...Tauscher...Reviera....

The offense lives and dies with the guys up front. A great line will give an average runner gaping holes to run through and an average QB all the time in the world in the pocket. Any QB can rip a defense if he has time to sit in the pocket.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I'd have no problem with Jinn, but I just don't think TT will adress a position that isn't as needy as other positions.

If Morency can show some flashes, then we might ignore the RB position in the first round IMO.

I'd go with defense, anything but LB. S/DE/DT/CB.

If we are picking 20 or higher, I seriously consider a TE (if there is one to fit our system).

I wouldn't mind a WR in the first though. Give Rodgers another weapon.

With that said, as of right now I would think TT targets RB.

I always blow off TE, and I don't why. Excellent point!

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love NB. I think he's always had, and still has great potential. But I want an intimidating, dominant guy in the middle, and Barnett hasn't become that yet. Guess it is bad timing, though with one year left on his contract. I really think our OL will be fine. They're improving every week, and should continue to do so. A prolific WR makes me salivate. Love DD and GRRREG!, but you can never have too much talent at that position. I really think most RB's will do well in our system, barring fumlitis. TE is a great idea, but Dan Graham should be available as a FA this offseason. Safety looks like a good option, though.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lineman for or system are not as easy to find you need the right guys that fit.

First WE TAKE RB ADRIAN PETERSON, Batman AKA Ahman Green I think is done and he wont be signed again so we take AP the best RB available, if AP is off the board then I think we take Calvin Johnson he is 6' 4" and runs a 4.40, Greg Jennings ran a 4.48 and Reggie Bush ran a 4.45 CJ would make a WRs awesome and that would not only help A-Rod but Robinson will be suspended next year and DD is another year older, Johnson and Jennings Would be an awesome team for years Like peanut butter and jelly. We would need to be in atleast top 5 to have a chance at these guys after that im not sure yet

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with the system trippster... but with our current oline coming together... you gotta think ted will address Cliftons soon to be vacant spot in the latter rounds of the draft with a good system guy hes probally scoping right now.

1st round i would have said stay away from WRs in general. more often than not they arent worth the high pick. However. Legend is right. DD is just gonna be another year older and Greg Jennings is gonna need a speed guy opposite of him. I see greg becoming a great possession guy. Add Ted Ginn or Calvin Johnson to the other side and Bam you got a nice tandem. Also watch out for that Manningham kid at Michigan. hes starting to seperate himself from the riff raff as an elite go to big play guy.

TE i dont know what to do. no on in college right now is blowing up, and the right TE for this system will be harder to pick out. Maybe a second round pick or a third. or like pack in black said. go for graham next year.

I think you gotta go either RB or Defensive Back. If there is a solid cornerback available. dont hesitate. if peterson or bush are there. go get them too.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think that if Clifton fizzles, Colledge will slide over. I think our 3 rookies are doing a fantastic job, and only getting better. I say draft OL depth in mid-late, but in round 1, especially a high first rounder, you gotta pick someone explosive. The offensive line thing is spot on, but I think we'll be just dandy next year. Defense is why we've lost 3 of our 5 games this year, especially our defensive backfield. Have any D-backs made any noise yet this year?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what is bad i havent really heard any super good cbs I have heard a about a safety for LSU who is supposed to be good.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy Ginn Jr is a good college player but as an NFL prospect he's not elite. Let's just say he won't go top 5. Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett are better pro prospects at WR than Ginn Jr. I know Buckeye fans are just like Packer fans and loyal to their players but that's just how it is. He's still a raw player with huge upside. He'll go in the 1st round, just not top 10. GB could trade down for him if anything but I don't see it. His hands are suspect as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I honestly think that if Clifton fizzles, Colledge will slide over. I think our 3 rookies are doing a fantastic job, and only getting better. I say draft OL depth in mid-late, but in round 1, especially a high first rounder, you gotta pick someone explosive. The offensive line thing is spot on, but I think we'll be just dandy next year. Defense is why we've lost 3 of our 5 games this year, especially our defensive backfield. Have any D-backs made any noise yet this year?

I have to double post and respond to this.

What you said WILL happen eventually. It's a matter of when. Colledge will be the LT of this teams future and Moll and Spitz will be the guards. Wells is probably the future Center. They've been talking about this for a while on the radio and most agree that it's going to happen some day. Maybe not his year or next year but sooner or later I think this is what you'll see.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well first I'd say see how Ahman does if he is really for sure done, then get a RB. Dont jump to conclusions and waste talent. If Brett is done I say give it to Rodgers or maybe a veteran if he is cheap. I would maybe say draft a Cornerback somebody not like Ahmad Carrol. Possibly get a linebacker.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Iowas Edmond Miles does, if he does a good job I'd say get him in a late round, he had 68 tackles first year actually starting.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Of course I guess he isn't a player with all the great Hype around the league

Joebediah

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brandon Merriweather won't last into the 2nd round, I think we should definitely get Landry. After that, it should be DE,CB, and RB purely drafting for need. Sure wouldn't mind another WR though.

( this is if we draft 8th or beyond )

Edit: TZ out.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack In Black

Don't worry about appologizing for talking draft on October the 9th.

It is progressive thinking, and trust me as a Raider and Packer fan I have been thinking about the draft twice as much as most football fans.

Any mention of who to draft always comes back to this. Draft the best player available regardless of need. I am a firm believer in such thought.

All I really want is the Packers to draft real well in the late rounds. I want a sleeper. I want the Packers to also find a walk+on non drafted player who can make the team as a special teams Phenom, and eventually make the starting line-up.

I am waiting for a cab right now to take me to the Monday Night game here in Denver. One guy I am going to watch is the Ravens BART SCOTT?

Where the heck did this guy come from? I can not find him on the net as a drafted player? His rookie year was 2002. He is playing better than Ray Lewis, although Lewis's presence may be attributing to his great play.

This is the kind of find I want in the 2007 Draft. If one can find these type of players all else is folly.

P.S.

I am wearing my Packers Javon Walker Jersey to the game, and my Packer hat. I reckon there is not a great deal of hate for the Packers here in Denver.

If I wore my Silver and Black the next time you hear about Raider Pride would be on Unsolved Mysteries.

Be well my Packer Brothers and Sisters.

R.P.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top positions needed in the draft or free agency are
1 Explosive Tight End
2 Explosive Receiver
3 Free safety if Manuel doesnt work out by years end.
4 Defensive End- We need a more consistent guy to replace KGB in my opinion even though we have done well against the run for the most part this year.
5 Running Back - We definitely need a replacement. But..... I hope we dont go for a top ten rb in the draft. It would be a waste. In our blocking scheme, we can pretty much stick anyone in there and he will have success if he doesnt fumble.

Since there doesnt seem to be any top Tight ends in the draft, i'd say Jarrett or Johnson at the receiver position in the first round. Then a running back or Defensive End in the second round. Running back or defensive end in the third round. Hopefully we can get a tight end in free agency if nobody is good in the draft. Safety, i'd say free agency is the best option. I'd rather not have us start ANY rookie safety unless they have made a clone of Ed Reed.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While TT has once again put himself into a position of being able to fill a need with virtually anyone he selects, my vote is for him to address the #1 problem area of this team right now, the defensive backfield.

We desperately need another starting CB & S before this team can ever be competitive, and if guys like Blackmon, Bush, Dendy, Underwood, Culver & Peprah can't do the job, TT will have to bring in players who can.

After that, TE, DE, RB & WR.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we really really need is a starting RB and SS. The rest will all be for competion/depth.

i dont like the idea of reaching for a TE.
You can never have enough quality DE's.
For the laugh draft a Randle EL type ala Brad Smith of the NY Jets.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure that we wont take a RB in the first round. Our system doesnt require a Reggie Bush/game breaker type of back. There are 40 current NFL running backs who would fit us just fine. The one area of our team that is playing well is the running game and the passing game. Our lineman are only going to get better which will make the running game better. Think about Mike Shanahan in Denver.

How many first rounders did he draft at running back? Zero.

How many GREAT running backs has he produced in the last 10 years? At least 4 or 5. Terell Davis, Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns. Olandis Gary.

Every one of these guys has had 1200 - 1500 yard seasons getting 4.5 yards per carry. And none of these guys are high draft picks. Its not the running back, its the system.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Im sure that we wont take a RB in the first round. Our system doesnt require a Reggie Bush/game breaker type of back. There are 40 current NFL running backs who would fit us just fine. The one area of our team that is playing well is the running game and the passing game. Our lineman are only going to get better which will make the running game better. Think about Mike Shanahan in Denver.

How many first rounders did he draft at running back? Zero.

How many GREAT running backs has he produced in the last 10 years? At least 4 or 5. Terell Davis, Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns. Olandis Gary.

Every one of these guys has had 1200 - 1500 yard seasons getting 4.5 yards per carry. And none of these guys are high draft picks. Its not the running back, its the system.

Good point but we're not Denver and Denver hasn't really ever been in position to get a game changer like Adrian Peterson. If Peterson is there then I think GB takes him. Right now though I think GB would take the best player and that could be LaRon Landry from LSU or Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech. They could trade down a few spots and take Michael Bush of Louisville. It's far to early to tell but GB's biggest need is a game changer at RB. If we had a game changing RB a lot of those runs by Herron might've been for 6. No disrespect for Herron but he's more a change of pace back rather than a full time starter. This year though I think he's the best back on the team.

Edit: I say RB because McCarthy wants to be a running team. You need a good RB to do that. You also need a running game to take pressure off of your QB whether that'd be Favre or most likely Aaron Rodgers in the future.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the one person we should not get is zbikowski. He disappears in games and is horrible in coverage. Notice how far he lines up in the ND games.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TZ's recovery speed aint all that great either, he's basically a younger version of manuel: decent run stopper but bad downfield.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greatest Need IMO:

RB - Green is at the end of contract and likely the end of career. The rest of the bunch are just guys.

DL - Could really use a stud pass rush DE or a stout DT that can also collapse the pocket

DB - With Harris seeming to decline and unhappy with contract and Carroll released the quality and depth of this position is not good. I think one would also be looking to upgrade at S.

T - Clifton does not seem a great fit and age and injuries may be taking toll.

QB - I know we still may have Favre back and we just took Rogers #1 2 years ago, but we do not know what we have with Rogers and if there is a can 't miss stud sitting there when we pick it would have to be considered.

TE/WR - They would also merit some consideration as Franks is getting up there in years and does not have the speed/size combo that is coveted. His backups have been teasing for years but not putting up consistent results. WR is again awfully thin behind the top 2 or maybe 3, and with Driver advancing in age and Robinson facing an uncertain future at the very least depth is needed.

I guess if it is an impact player, I would be happy to see any of the above positions filled in the 1st round, but RB, DL, WR/TE would have the most immediate impact.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts