1st preseason game

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Get a good meaningful series or 2 with the starters, evaluate the talent of non starters. Don't have our balls deflated.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watching #88 Montgomery. Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Montgomery has me giddy. I need confirmation though :)

Also want to see the rookie DT/DE, 6th rounder Ringo.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are the important aspects of this game?

I will be paying close attention to the defensive side of the ball. I´m especially interested in Raji´s play, who will get the snaps with the first team defense at inside linebacker once Matthews moves outside and the performance of the cornerbacks.

OP
OP
Packerlover

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments you guys. I agree with all of them. Personally I am anxious to see how our #1 draft pick performs and I am also interested in Raji. I really hope he has a good year following his injury and lack luster performances of previous years. On offense (If the starters play at least 2 series) I'd like to see Rodgers and Co. on the same page and in mid season form. :) And I want to see how the play calling goes, since McCarthy handed those duties off to the Offensive Coordinator. We should score like 35 points a game with all the weapons we have. I'm a big fan of Richard Rodgers and Devante Adams!

D

Deleted member 6794

And I want to see how the play calling goes, since McCarthy handed those duties off to the Offensive Coordinator.

I think the play calling will be fine. Rodgers joked during an interview with the NFL Network that Clements´ accent will be easier to understand than McCarthy´s one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the offense gelling, I'm more concerned about a major injury. I don't think A Rod and company will need a lot of preseason game reps. to be ready for week one. The defense is a different story. I think we will see a lot more play (in the pre-season) out of many of the starters, as Capers tweaks the new players and prepares for the absence of players sitting out suspensions.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments you guys. I agree with all of them. Personally I am anxious to see how our #1 draft pick performs and I am also interested in Raji. I really hope he has a good year following his injury and lack luster performances of previous years. On offense (If the starters play at least 2 series) I'd like to see Rodgers and Co. on the same page and in mid season form. :) And I want to see how the play calling goes, since McCarthy handed those duties off to the Offensive Coordinator. We should score like 35 points a game with all the weapons we have. I'm a big fan of Richard Rodgers and Devante Adams!
Richard Rodgers I am very high on as well. He rose up last year as a rookie. Quarless game was elevated too, by the high bar Rodgers set. That dude only looks bigger and thicker that last year! He is a beast. And that big beast likes to go up and get the ball. As he tunes up his blocking game, and settles into a veteran mind set. he will be back breaking on this offense. Unstopable with teams scrambling to cover lacy/Nelson/Cobb/Adams... Rodgers up the seam untouched is a definate...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in watching the new monitoring system for football inflation.....

D

Deleted member 6794

Richard Rodgers I am very high on as well. He rose up last year as a rookie. Quarless game was elevated too, by the high bar Rodgers set. That dude only looks bigger and thicker that last year! He is a beast. And that big beast likes to go up and get the ball. As he tunes up his blocking game, and settles into a veteran mind set. he will be back breaking on this offense.

TE is by far the weakest position on offense. Rodgers has shown some promise as a rookie and there's hope he takes another step in year two. I don't expect much of an improvement from Quarless and it's likely he'll get suspended for the incident in Miami.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always look at the rookies and undrafted FA's in these games. We all know what to expect from our vets.

I'll be paying close attention to our ILB's.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would like to see something out of Ripkowski. From the reports I've been reading, he's had a pretty lack luster camp. Has to give Ted a reason to put him on the 53.

I hope I don't see #12 on the field at all tomorrow. I'd be happy with 6 or 8 series out of him in all of preseason. We know what he can do and so does the rest of the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would like to see something out of Ripkowski. From the reports I've been reading, he's had a pretty lack luster camp. Has to give Ted a reason to put him on the 53.

I hope I don't see #12 on the field at all tomorrow. I'd be happy with 6 or 8 series out of him in all of preseason. We know what he can do and so does the rest of the offense.

McCarthy has said that all healthy players will play tomorrow. The coaching staff will decide how much in today's meetings.

I agree about Ripkowski. Entering training camp I expected him to make the roster but according to reports he hasn't had a good start.

H

HardRightEdge

I will be paying close attention to the defensive side of the ball. I´m especially interested in Raji´s play, who will get the snaps with the first team defense at inside linebacker once Matthews moves outside and the performance of the cornerbacks.
Of course. The high ranking "starter" issues are all on the defensive side of the ball with all of the offensive starters back.

I'd add another defensive area of concern looking out to week 1.

Consider the nickel/dime DT's who are on the field for 70% of the snaps. Daniels can't take every snap if he's going to play in base, which should be expected. Guion's out for 3 games, Jones for 1 game. You need at least 3 guys in that nickel/dime DT rotation.

So, for opening day the front runners are Daniels, Neal and ?, with Neal still getting over the hernia surgery while also being a limited matchup/situational player at the position given his size limitations. At the same time, a healthy Neal may be getting a lot of work at base OLB with Matthews in the middle and Perry getting over his own issues.

Raji in the DT rotation? Pepper (no rest for the wicked?) with Mulumba getting snaps at OLB if the Neal/Perry issues persist by opening day?

None of the defensive issues are going to be answered in one preseason game. As we go along in the preseason, seeing Neal and Perry on the field and ready to go are issues high on the list. For this game, seeing how the unproven D-Line players comport themselves at nickel DT should be added to your list.

Offense? Montogomery, the backup O-Linemen, and the backup TEs with Quarless heading to a suspension should be of interest. I'd like to see a more loose and fluid Tolzien as opposed to his more mechanical, by-the-book self; I'd like to see him get snaps against the Pats #1 defense. I suppose Hundley/Blanchard will be of interest by the 4th. quarter, but that has little impact on the 2015 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Consider the nickel/dime DT's who are on the field for 70% of the snaps. Daniels can't take every snap if he's going to play in base, which should be expected. Guion's out for 3 games, Jones for 1 game. You need at least 3 guys in that nickel/dime DT rotation.

So, for opening day the front runners are Daniels, Neal and ?, with Neal still getting over the hernia surgery while also being a limited matchup/situational player at the position given his size limitations. At the same time, a healthy Neal may be getting a lot of work at base OLB with Matthews in the middle and Perry getting over his own issues.

Raji in the DT rotation? Pepper (no rest for the wicked?) with Mulumba getting snaps at OLB if the Neal/Perry issues persist by opening day?

I expect Raji and Boyd to be part of the rotation at DT in nickel and dime packages in week 1. While that is far from desirable there aren't that many options with Guion and Jones suspended. Peppers will probably get some snaps inside as well.

I agree it will be interesting to see if Ringo or some other defensive lineman will be able to provide some pass rush in the preseason.

H

HardRightEdge

I expect Raji and Boyd to be part of the rotation at DT in nickel and dime packages in week 1. While that is far from desirable there aren't that many options with Guion and Jones suspended. Peppers will probably get some snaps inside as well.

I agree it will be interesting to see if Ringo or some other defensive lineman will be able to provide some pass rush in the preseason.
In the absence of other alternatives, Raji and Boyd would be the less than desirable defaults. I can see Boyd getting work in the tweener run/pass downs in nickel and dime, especially against teams that like to run the ball, but he's never shown much as a pass rusher...more a situational/matchup player, the flip side of Neal who would be more of a long yardage option.

Raji? It's all about the motor. I remain highly skeptical. I can't recall a healthy player losing his motor for several years running and then suddenly getting in back.
I think the play calling will be fine. Rodgers joked during an interview with the NFL Network that Clements´ accent will be easier to understand than McCarthy´s one.
I'm a little surprised Clements will be calling the plays from the sidelines, not the booth. It's a prejudice of mine. From the sidelines, there's simply a lot you cannot see. I find it curious that all-22 snap shots are wired down to the sidelines, all-22 tape is used to break down games after the fact, but the play caller is deprived of an all-22 view from the booth from snap to sanp. At the same time, there's OC Bennett kibitzing from the booth in one ear and McCarthy prowling the sidelines with likely some input in the other ear. A delicate balance will need to worked out to prevent too many cooks, too many voices.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm a little surprised Clements will be calling the plays from the sidelines, not the booth. It's a prejudice of mine. From the sidelines, there's simply a lot you cannot see. I find it curious that all-22 snap shots are wired down to the sidelines, all-22 tape is used to break down games after the fact, but the play caller is deprived of an all-22 view from the booth from snap to sanp. At the same time, there's OC Bennett kibitzing from the booth in one ear and McCarthy prowling the sidelines with likely some input in the other ear. A delicate balance will need to worked out to prevent too many cooks, too many voices.

I'm surprised by that as well. BTW Bennett will be on the sideline as well. Alex Van Pelt and Luke Getsy are the only members of the offensive coaching staff up in the booth.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just be sure not to read too much into it, being only preseason.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm surprised by that as well. BTW Bennett will be on the sideline as well.
Oh, man. The play calling chemistry among all these voices may be the first thing to be looking at in this preseason.

The Packers have been on the forefront of technological innovation...a third ear graft for Clements and a soundproof sideline bubble for him when in hurry-up?

On the other side of the ball, there's Capers flying solo out of the booth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts