1st packers mock fanspeak/cbs board

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Unless there is an absolute steal of a CB in the 3rd or later, I don't see any being taken beyond the first 2 rounds, especially if one is taken with one of our first 2 picks. The Packers currently have 7 CB's on the roster, many of who saw snaps last year. I have to (hate to) believe that TT thinks these guys are worthy of still being there, so following that logic, I wouldn't be able to understand using mid round picks on someone that will probably have to be protected on the 53 man roster, but not ready to play anything but special teams. Of course, that is the way most of us currently feel about many of the current 7 CB's on the roster.

That might sound like an endorsement for our current group and it isn't, it's more of an observation based on the way TT has been addressing the needs at CB. Obviously with the severity of Goodson's knee injury and Waters being a total unknown (to us), that could reduce the current group down to 5.

Goodson is junk and isn't roster worthy. Like you posted we've seen nothing of Waters. Gunter is what he is. Dorleant is gone. The only young CB that has me lil bit excited is Josh Hawkins. I actually predicted him making the 53 last year. I know he had some problems but he actually has the physical tools to develop into something.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I know it's tempting for some to just look to the biggest most physically impressive corner at the Combine and assume he is the answer but there is more to it as far as how Packers use there corners and that's why I like Fabian Moreau for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unless there is an absolute steal of a CB in the 3rd or later, I don't see any being taken beyond the first 2 rounds, especially if one is taken with one of our first 2 picks. The Packers currently have 7 CB's on the roster, many of who saw snaps last year. I have to (hate to) believe that TT thinks these guys are worthy of still being there, so following that logic, I wouldn't be able to understand using mid round picks on someone that will probably have to be protected on the 53 man roster, but not ready to play anything but special teams. Of course, that is the way most of us currently feel about many of the current 7 CB's on the roster.

That might sound like an endorsement for our current group and it isn't, it's more of an observation based on the way TT has been addressing the needs at CB. Obviously with the severity of Goodson's knee injury and Waters being a total unknown (to us), that could reduce the current group down to 5.

Aside of a #1 cornerback the Packers lack quality depth at the position as well therefore I wouldn't mind Thompson using a mid round selection on another prospect at the position as well.

I know it's tempting for some to just look to the biggest most physically impressive corner at the Combine and assume he is the answer but there is more to it as far as how Packers use there corners and that's why I like Fabian Moreau for the Packers.

I would prefer the Packers to pass on Moreau as he most likely won't be able to participate in the team's offseason program and possibly won't be ready for training camp and the start of the season because of the torn pectoral muscle he suffered at UCLA's pro day.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to pass on Moreau as he most likely won't be able to participate in the team's offseason program and possibly won't be ready for training camp and the start of the season because of the torn pectoral muscle he suffered at UCLA's pro day.

Cordrea Tankersley might be there in the bottom of second round. He isn't as smooth as Moreau but Moreau does have some injury concerns. You just never know with these guys. I'm not sure Tankersley will be as successful in man to man at next level as I am with Moreau but last thing Packers need is another guy that's always hurt.

I'm convinced they need to go Edge in 1st with whats available and Charles Harris I'm hoping will be there at 29.

I've been mocking this thing and with all the holes Packers have Thompson is gonna have to draft near perfect this time around.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm convinced they need to go Edge in 1st with whats available and Charles Harris I'm hoping will be there at 29.

I would prefer the Packers to use their first round pick on a cornerback as the team is in desperate need of a starter at the position while "only" needing quality depth at outside linebacker.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to use their first round pick on a cornerback as the team is in desperate need of a starter at the position while "only" needing quality depth at outside linebacker.

Maybe or maybe not. Matthews concerns me a lot. Some will point to his injuries but I just don't see him as explosive as he used to be. I would wager he takes another step backwards this season if I was forced too. Perry has never played 16 games. Add the two up and they need someone else to go along with what they have. I'm not sold on either Frackrell or Elliot.

It really depends on how the board shakes out. Yes, if a guy like Conley is there you scoop him up at 29. However I don't see Conley being there at 29 so if you go BPA it will most likely be an Edge guy. You can probably get pretty close to the same corner at 58 that you can at 29. Sutton is another guy that comes to mind here in second round. Tre'Davious White might be there at 29 and I think he might make sense. All depends who is available.

The other option would be for Thompson to trade up in the second.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe or maybe not. Matthews concerns me a lot. Some will point to his injuries but I just don't see him as explosive as he used to be. I would wager he takes another step backwards this season if I was forced too. Perry has never played 16 games. Add the two up and they need someone else to go along with what they have. I'm not sold on either Frackrell or Elliot.

It's true the Packers currently only have two starting caliber outside linebackers on the roster in Matthews and Perry with both of them having various question marks.

Therefore I wouldn't mind drafting another one early but as long as a cornerback remains within the top tier of the Packers draft board at #29 would prefer Thompson to go in that direction.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I continue to waver on this but the more I see of mock drafts the more I'm inclined to believe that Thompson is likely to have multiple players available left on his board (pure speculation) to choose from and he will entertain trade offers for more top 125 picks. I'm operating under the possibly false assumption that this draft has more overall depth of talent than the average draft. If that is true, perhaps Ted's board may have 150-175 names on it this year. Somebody needs to sneak in there and post a pic of his board next weekend for us.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is true, perhaps Ted's board may have 150-175 names on it this year. Somebody needs to sneak in there and post a pic of his board next weekend for us.
Not sure I follow the logic. 32*8 players get drafted, 256. You have to have a name ready to go around 240, or wherever their last pick is. Plus, the players still on their board after the draft are the priority UDFAs that the Packers seem to be very prepared for. Packers usually get 15-20 ish. They can't sign all they go after, so, maybe they have another 100 guys they are interested in. My bet is they have over 300 names on their big board. This may be symantics. I can see where they would be thinking the bottom 50-60 would not be draftable, but UDFAable.

By the time you get into the 200s in the draft, you may have 40-50 kids who all have the same grade. Therefore, any of those you UDFA or draft, you are still getting the same quality.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Aside of a #1 cornerback the Packers lack quality depth at the position as well therefore I wouldn't mind Thompson using a mid round selection on another prospect at the position as well.

I wasn't saying that I personally thought the Packers weren't lacking quality depth at CB, I think they are lacking quality from top down at the position. I was merely predicting what I thought TT would do in the draft, not what you and I would do. I would have liked to have seen the #1 CB spot addressed in Free Agency along with the House signing, had that happened, I don't think CB would even be on the draft radar. But it didn't. So now TT is faced with the decision of adding more bodies to his pool of 7, as well as a list of other draft needs (OLB, RB, G, S, DL, WR). Which is why if he does grab a CB in the first two rounds, he may not be able to justify to himself using another pick on one, especially if he has confidence in his current top 4 group, which it appears that he does.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn't saying that I personally thought the Packers weren't lacking quality depth at CB, I think they are lacking quality from top down at the position. I was merely predicting what I thought TT would do in the draft, not what you and I would do.

I know you were just predicting what Thompson might do in the draft. I hope he selects at least two cornerbacks but am not convinced about it either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow the logic. 32*8 players get drafted, 256. You have to have a name ready to go around 240, or wherever their last pick is. Plus, the players still on their board after the draft are the priority UDFAs that the Packers seem to be very prepared for. Packers usually get 15-20 ish. They can't sign all they go after, so, maybe they have another 100 guys they are interested in. My bet is they have over 300 names on their big board. This may be symantics. I can see where they would be thinking the bottom 50-60 would not be draftable, but UDFAable.

By the time you get into the 200s in the draft, you may have 40-50 kids who all have the same grade. Therefore, any of those you UDFA or draft, you are still getting the same quality.
That's not what Ted said in about 2012. He said there draft board consisted of 125 names.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just doesnt make sense. They could run out of picks by their 4th round pick.
Well, my guess is they have grade and round tiers that include all 7 rounds for those 125 but I'm strictly guessing on that. I'm thinking they are very picky about who makes the board. Every year we are probably having discussions about prospects that aren't even on the Packer's board at all.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Teams routinely scratch players that they don't feel are scheme fits or don't hit their minimums at given positions. It works out because the teams aren't all using the same criteria. I doubt there's a team in the league that has a board of 250+ players. The Packers' history under Thompson suggests they have more stringent standards in that regard. Until you get into the later rounds, they tend to have fairly defined "types."

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Teams routinely scratch players that they don't feel are scheme fits or don't hit their minimums at given positions. It works out because the teams aren't all using the same criteria. I doubt there's a team in the league that has a board of 250+ players. The Packers' history under Thompson suggests they have more stringent standards in that regard. Until you get into the later rounds, they tend to have fairly defined "types."
I've always suspected that the Packer's board is significantly different than most of the other teams in the league. I think Thompson hasn't used this enough to his advantage and should have been more actively trying to trade back and still get the guys he wants while accumulating more picks. I don't think he picks on the perennial weaklings as much as he should.

Of course, none of this post is based on fact, just pure suspicion on my part.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I have run the Fanspeak simulator with different combinations of boards and needs now close to a dozen times and always have 1 or 2 positions I want to address left unmet.

Makes me think even more that Thompson will try to accumulate more picks in the top 5 rounds than he currently has by trading out of the 1st round. Cleveland, please pick up the phone and call us!

D

Deleted member 6794

I have run the Fanspeak simulator with different combinations of boards and needs now close to a dozen times and always have 1 or 2 positions I want to address left unmet.

Maybe that tells you that Thompson should have addressed some of those weaknesses via free agency.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe that tells you that Thompson should have addressed some of those weaknesses via free agency.
They were positions I hoped would be addressed by rookies. Third TE, fourth safety, fourth inside LB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They were positions I hoped would be addressed by rookies. Third TE, fourth safety, fourth inside LB.
Rodgers will stay as the third TE, one of Rollins / Brice will be #3 and the other #4. The Packers carried 3 ILBs last season, you expect that to change? Burnett is used as the fourth if needed with Dix moving to SS and the #3 safety or nickelback filling his slot. I could see an upgrade over Thomas as the #3 ILB though.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my most recent cbs mock went like this, I think this draft would put yhe packers in great position to succeed in 2017

1. TJ Watt LB - can play inside and out has the physical tools and work ethic to make his upside a reality.
2. Joe Mixon RB - just don't think TT will take a rb in the first but he took Eddie lacy in the 2nd so I'm thinking if Mixon is on the board he's the pick. He has the potential to be better than elliot was last season as he fits the packers offense perfectly.
3. Cameron Sutton CB - he's a ready made replacement for Hyde in the slot and he comes complete with punt return ability.
4. Ethan Pocic OL - can come in and compete for the guard spot while at the very least providing valuable depth to the entire line as he is capable of playing any spot.
5a. Jordan Evans LB - he's shown he can be very good in coverage and as a blitzer making him the perfect candidate to push joe thomas off the 53 and give the packers a true play making nickel/dime linebacker. at 6-3 he has much better size to hang with tight ends and his 4.50 40 shows he's got the kind of speed the packers are lacking at inside linebacker
5b. Josh Malone - a size/speed prospect who also shows some nice ability as a route runner and was productive in the sec.
6. DJ Jones DL - a big athletic lineman who could play the nose and also has the ability to get some things done as a rusher.
7. Joe Williams RB - another rb with good size and the speed to score from anywhere. he's a capable reciever as well. a running back room of Mixon, Montgomery, Williams and ripkowski could develop into one of the best in the league in very short time. like by the 2017 playoffs

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts