1st packers mock fanspeak/cbs board

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not saying he is the pick the Packers should take at #29, but I have seen him on mock drafts as far back as pick #53, so I wouldn't rule him out at #29. There is a large group of talented CB's that are predicted to go mid 1st to early 3rd, so for my money I would rather the Packers wait and use their #2 pick on a CB and get more of an impact player with their #1.

I agree with this. I'd like to see them go "Edge" then WR then Corner with the way the board shakes out but TT once again failed to get a no.1 corner in free agency so he may "reach" for one early.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I keep seeing this guys name pop up as a quiet secret in the second round. Totally reminds me of Jordy with his solid size, ability to get open, catch anything thrown at him and deceptive speed. Given that he played in the FCS, he may go overlooked until the Packers pick late in the second round. But again, has TT put the Packers in the position after Free Agency to be able to use a #2 pick on a WR? Probably not.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep seeing this guys name pop up as a quiet secret in the second round. Totally reminds me of Jordy with his solid size, ability to get open, catch anything thrown at him and deceptive speed. Given that he played in the FCS, he may go overlooked until the Packers pick late in the second round. But again, has TT put the Packers in the position after Free Agency to be able to use a #2 pick on a WR? Probably not.

They can defintly take a wr in 2nd round and very well might. We don't know what the team plans to do with Cobb and Adams after this season. I assume extend Adams and probably release cobb and let Nelson start to work out of the slot more. I'd expect a receiver in first 4 rounds more specifically 2nd or 3rd round. I'd say in some order wr, edge, cb, and ol in the first 4 rounds

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Kupp will be a great pick for someone no doubt but I like Zay Jones in round 2. Guy just dominated everyone at Senior Bowl.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If they wait until 3rd they could go Carlos Henderson who could replace Cobb next year.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.) Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

2.) Ju Ju Smith-Schuster WR USC

3.) Pat Elflein C Ohio State

4.) Jehu Chesson WR Michigan

5.) Corey Clement RB Wisconsin

5b.) Vince Biegel EDGE Wisconsin

6.) DeAngelo Brown DL Louisville

7.) Speedy Noil WR Texas A&M

Notes: There are guys I wanted that I didn't want to reach for in earlier rounds. (Coulda got Butt in round 3, Dobbs in Round 4) By the time I tried to get them as a steal they were gone. Jourdan Lewis has great ball skills and vertical in play, I'd be VERY happy with him as the pick, and I usually hate 1st round CBs. Wish I had gotten a TE, but IMO there were only 2, one went top 10, one went early 4th. I'd be happy with any one (or 3) of the WRs I drafted. They'd show the Adams apologists what's up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Notes: There are guys I wanted that I didn't want to reach for in earlier rounds. (Coulda got Butt in round 3, Dobbs in Round 4) By the time I tried to get them as a steal they were gone. Jourdan Lewis has great ball skills and vertical in play, I'd be VERY happy with him as the pick, and I usually hate 1st round CBs. Wish I had gotten a TE, but IMO there were only 2, one went top 10, one went early 4th. I'd be happy with any one (or 3) of the WRs I drafted. They'd show the Adams apologists what's up.

I like Lewis too. Probably gonna be a slot guy and would be an upgrade over Rollins. However, he just recently was arrested for domestic violence so I think he will drop to 3rd.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were to replace Cobb, not saying I'm in favor of it but we could wait till the 5th round and get Ryan Switzer. Some may doubt him for his size and speed. But the way he plays reminds me of Cole Beasley.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3 WRs? God I hope not, plus not 1 of those players will be #1s in NFL. Ju Ju may end up a decent #2 but Chesson and Noil will be below average. If we draft a WR it should be Rd 4 at earliest. We all know how Ted loves those 2nd rd WRs though.

Lewis as our 1st pick would be the equivalent of Randall in my opinion. We need a more reliable and consistent CB than Lewis in this draft. If we can land Biegel in round 5 that would be a steal. With the Clement pick Id have to see what RBs are still on the board. Example is Kareem Hunt, Hood or Donnel Pumphrey still available? I would even take Ogumbowale or however you spell his name over Clement! He just seems pedestrian to me, and I'm a Badger fan. I would draft Clement in 7th or priority UDFA

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
I'd be mildly surprised if our first pick at 29 is anything other than either an OLB or Defensive lineman unless someone that Thompson really likes drops precipitously. Would not be surprised by a trade back to the 34-40 pick range as well which at pick 40 could possibly result in just about anything.
We always have to wonder if Thompson will pounce on a "gem" that he feels is a value pick - somebody like a Harrell, Sherrod, Randall or equivalent. Harrell had an injury history before the draft. Unfortunately, Sherrod's career was derailed by an injury. Randall is one of those players whose play drops off significantly with an injury.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 WRs? God I hope not, plus not 1 of those players will be #1s in NFL. Ju Ju may end up a decent #2 but Chesson and Noil will be below average. If we draft a WR it should be Rd 4 at earliest. We all know how Ted loves those 2nd rd WRs though.

Lewis as our 1st pick would be the equivalent of Randall in my opinion. We need a more reliable and consistent CB than Lewis in this draft. If we can land Biegel in round 5 that would be a steal. With the Clement pick Id have to see what RBs are still on the board. Example is Kareem Hunt, Hood or Donnel Pumphrey still available? I would even take Ogumbowale or however you spell his name over Clement! He just seems pedestrian to me, and I'm a Badger fan. I would draft Clement in 7th or priority UDFA

I was looking for Ogumbawale when I drafted Clement. I would prefer him too, but I need to get a back since I obviously wasn't getting a TE.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Schuster plays fast, and we need that. Chesson with Rodgers with a year under their belt will be better than Rodgers/Adams and possibly better than Rodgers/Jordy. Noils I took as 'best available' only reason he got picked.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went back through and adjusted needs and draft board. I came up with

1.) Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford

2.) Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

3.) Eddie Jackson S Alabama

4.) Ethan Pocic C LSU (Need is at Guard, thinking he or Linsley can move over)

5a.) Ben Gedeon LB Michigan

5b.) Ryan Switzer WR North Carolina

6.) Bryan Cox OLB Florida

7.) Jehu Chesson WR Michigan (Best available that I'd actually seen play)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with Pete Dougherty that the Packers first four picks, in no particular order, will be cornerback, outside linebacker, running back and guard.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...rty-ranking-packers-top-draft-needs/99534806/

I'm still holding out hope that the Packers have another plan for a starting Guard without using one of the first 4 picks and they can use one of those picks on a WR. Jordy will be 32 in May, this could be Cobb and Adams last year in GB and given that the Packers haven't hit on a productive WR after the 3rd round since 1999 (Donald Driver in 7th), they might want to start thinking about the position, before it too becomes a position of dire need.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still holding out hope that the Packers have another plan for a starting Guard without using one of the first 4 picks and they can use one of those picks on a WR. Jordy will be 32 in May, this could be Cobb and Adams last year in GB and given that the Packers haven't hit on a productive WR after the 3rd round since 1999 (Donald Driver in 7th), they might want to start thinking about the position, before it too becomes a position of dire need.

I wouldn't mind selecting a wide receiver once cornerback has been addressed but don't expect it to happen before the third day of the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind selecting a wide receiver once cornerback has been addressed but don't expect it to happen before the third day of the draft.

My fear as well and something that history has almost proven, hasn't done **** for the future of the WR group, a group that may be slim in talent after this season. If Adams isn't resigned and Cobb is cut due to his contract, I think most of us are going to spend the 2018 Free Agent period salivating over Wide Receivers that TT won't be signing.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My fear as well and something that history has almost proven, hasn't done **** for the future of the WR group, a group that may be slim in talent after this season. If Adams isn't resigned and Cobb is cut due to his contract, I think most of us are going to spend the 2018 Free Agent period salivating over Wide Receivers that TT won't be signing.

TT will likely have similar thinking even if he plans to keep one of Adams and Cobb. Chris Godwin in 2nd seems a likely candidate. I've never seen him play a snap but heard he handled Sidney Jones in rose bowl and Jones looked like the best corner in the draft before his injury. I know most packers fans would be in a fire TT uproar if this happened but I could see the first two picks being Joe Mixon at 29 and a wide receiver maybe Godwin in the 2nd. I think Mixon is the only running back worth drafting in the first round if you're the packers. I'd add McCaffery but I think he's pretsy much a more dynamic ty Montgomery and a more powerful bigger back is what packers need. if you watch Mixons highlights the packers haven't had running back with ability to take it the distance every play and have the size to hold up as an everydown back since Ahman green. And Mixon is a much better recI ever and he can return kicks

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect both Adams and Cobb to be on the Packers roster in 2018.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
TT will likely have similar thinking even if he plans to keep one of Adams and Cobb. Chris Godwin in 2nd seems a likely candidate. I've never seen him play a snap but heard he handled Sidney Jones in rose bowl and Jones looked like the best corner in the draft before his injury. I know most packers fans would be in a fire TT uproar if this happened but I could see the first two picks being Joe Mixon at 29 and a wide receiver maybe Godwin in the 2nd. I think Mixon is the only running back worth drafting in the first round if you're the packers. I'd add McCaffery but I think he's pretsy much a more dynamic ty Montgomery and a more powerful bigger back is what packers need. if you watch Mixons highlights the packers haven't had running back with ability to take it the distance every play and have the size to hold up as an everydown back since Ahman green. And Mixon is a much better recI ever and he can return kicks

All good picks in my mind, but it would be completely ignoring the fact that we need immediate help on defense and don't have the luxury of using our #1 and #2 picks on the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

All good picks in my mind, but it would be completely ignoring the fact that we need immediate help on defense and don't have the luxury of using our #1 and #2 picks on the offense.

I don't consider Mixon to be a good pick at all. According to a source at least the Patriots don't consider drafting him because of his assualt incident.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Id bet TT thinks he has the luxury of using first 2 picks on offense. The thing is if you think Mixon turns out to be a top 5 running back for next 5 years and Godwin or some other wr develops into the next no1. And you think the players available at olb or cb don't have that ceiling, you don't have the luxury of both taking offense players in first 2 rounds. in the end who helps the team more. one could argue that Mixon and Godwin would make the packers defense much better because they likely would allow it to play from ahead much more and to be on the field significantly less

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't consider Mixon to be a good pick at all. According to a source at least the Patriots don't consider drafting him because of his assualt incident.

Yes, my bad, I didn't mean to include Mixon in that LOL....I already went too many rounds in another thread as to why I didn't want Mixon in GB, I meant one of the top tiered RB's.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
one could argue that Mixon and Godwin would make the packers defense much better because they likely would allow it to play from ahead much more and to be on the field significantly less

Not sure how improving our offense actually improves the play of our defense. Have you seen our defense play with a big lead? While scoring more points this year might be needed to win games, I don't see our defense getting any better due to the play of the offense.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's crazy talk just watch the dudes tape. they are playing football not a contest to see whose a good person. I'm sure out of 63 players 53 plus practice squad there are a significant number of terrible human beings on every team. just like there are terrible human beings everywhere in life. Also dalvin cook punched a woman in the face and it was all over ESPN a few years back and no one is questioning if he should be drafted. I don't get the double standard. jordan Lewis just got a domestic violence and it doesn't seem likely to cause him to slide much. the funny thing is you say that and BB probably leaked that and now watch new England will take him in the first round

Members online

Latest posts