1st packers mock fanspeak/cbs board

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. OJ Howard Alabama 6-6 251 4.51 TE
I know the packers have 3 solid tight ends however this guy is too good to pass up. He brings legit homerun speed to the te position and will contribute as another big time mismatch for Rodgers to exploite. (doubtful he'll be available at 29)

2. Adoree Jackson USC 5-10 186 4.42 CB/KR
Should be able to contribute from the slot right away and hopefully end green bays return touchdown drought.

3. Joe Mixon Oklahoma 6-1 226 4.48 RB/KR
I know he hits women but so does dalvin cook and probably a lot of other people we don't know about. hes a very good reclever and a legitimate potential star running the ball. has chance to turn into best packers running back since Ahman greene. (pretty much no way he'll be there at this pick likely gone before packers pick at 29)

4. Ethan Pocic LSU 6-6 310 5.15 OL
Very versatile experienced lineman who can play all 5 positions. Would compete with Jason Spriggs for the right guard spot vacated by TJ Lang.

5. Dawuane Smoot Illinois 6-3 264 4.77 OLB
Has a chance as a edge rusher if given the chance to develop and refine his game.

5. Jalen Reeves Maybin Tennessee 6-0 230 ILB
Still looking for a coverage linebacker with some playmaking ability. If healthy Reeves Maybin could be just that but he has some injury concerns which is why he might be available at this spot.

6. Tedric Thompson Colorado 6-0 204 4.60 S
A safety who makes a lot of plays doesn't have the desired timed speed but he plays fast.

7. Joe Williams Utah 5-11 210 4.41 RB
Has the ability to be a very good player as a runner and a receiver just depends if he wants to fully commit to Football.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I hadn't used a simulator this would be my mock

1. TJ Watt LB
2. Chidobe Awuzie CB
3. Chris Godwin WR
4. Ethan Pocic OL
5. Elijah Lee LB
5. Shaquille Griffen CB
6. DJ Jones DL
7. Joe Williams RB

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the packers have 3 solid tight ends however this guy is too good to pass up. He brings legit homerun speed to the te position and will contribute as another big time mismatch for Rodgers to exploite. (doubtful he'll be available at 29)

Should be able to contribute from the slot right away and hopefully end green bays return touchdown drought.

I know he hits women but so does dalvin cook and probably a lot of other people we don't know about. hes a very good reclever and a legitimate potential star running the ball. has chance to turn into best packers running back since Ahman greene. (pretty much no way he'll be there at this pick likely gone before packers pick at 29)

Very versatile experienced lineman who can play all 5 positions. Would compete with Jason Spriggs for the right guard spot vacated by TJ Lang.

Has a chance as a edge rusher if given the chance to develop and refine his game.

Still looking for a coverage linebacker with some playmaking ability. If healthy Reeves Maybin could be just that but he has some injury concerns which is why he might be available at this spot.

A safety who makes a lot of plays doesn't have the desired timed speed but he plays fast.

Has the ability to be a very good player as a runner and a receiver just depends if he wants to fully commit to Football.
I think Reeves Maybin would bring some variety to ILB and Joe Williams would be a nice 3rd down back with ability to take it 70yds to the house. Others I have to say I don't agree with Howard won't be there at #29 neither will Adoree for our 2nd round pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

I get that but if he was on the board I'd take him and cut Richard Rodgers if I only wanted to carry 3 tight ends

The Packers first and foremost need to add an impact cornerback. With Bennett, Kendricks and Rodgers on the roster it would be mind-boggling to draft another tight end in the first round.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see Jackson being around; he's been moving up. He can also return punts and play WR. Fast kid.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Reeves Maybin would bring some variety to ILB and Joe Williams would be a nice 3rd down back with ability to take it 70yds to the house. Others I have to say I don't agree with Howard won't be there at #29 neither will Adoree for our 2nd round pick.
yeah I get that but I used their mock simulator. not so sure Jackson won't be there in 2nd though

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the good thing about him is you know he's gonna try harder than anybody and maybe he can convince his brother to come home to Wisconsin

Heh, that contract he signed says he's never leaving Houston.
If they did let him go, it'd be because his back is shot.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers first and foremost need to add an impact cornerback. With Bennett, Kendricks and Rodgers on the roster it would be mind-boggling to draft another tight end in the first round.

You seem to be bound and determined to draft for need and for need only. It is certainly not inconceivable that if a player projected in the top 15 or 20 would drop that Ted would pull the trigger regardless of the position. I also get the impression that if Ted doesn't draft an impact corner you will blow your stack regardless of who is picked.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I don't see Jackson being around; he's been moving up. He can also return punts and play WR. Fast kid.
I see a WR in the top 3 picks. Packers love scheme flexibility...what better than a guy who can play both sides of the ball! Trade up if necessary! ;) Just kidding. I wouldn't know Jackson from Joe Blow.

I'm not kidding about WR in the top 3 picks though.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mine I just completed, thoughts?

29: R1P29

EDGE TAKKARIST MCKINLEY
UCLA
61: R2P29

DL CHRIS WORMLEY
MICHIGAN
93: R3P29

CB RASUL DOUGLAS
WEST VIRGINIA
134: R4P27

CB MARQUEZ WHITE
FLORIDA STATE
172: R5P28

WR JALEN ROBINETTE
AIR FORCE
182: R5P38

RB JAMES CONNER
PITTSBURGH
212: R6P28

G DANNY ISIDORA
MIAMI
247: R7P29

LB JAMES ONWUALU
247: R7P29

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

You seem to be bound and determined to draft for need and for need only. It is certainly not inconceivable that if a player projected in the top 15 or 20 would drop that Ted would pull the trigger regardless of the position. I also get the impression that if Ted doesn't draft an impact corner you will blow your stack regardless of who is picked.

Actually I don't expect a rookie cornerback picked at #29 to have the immediate impact the Packers are in dire need of. But Thompson put the team in a position to have to use their first round pick on a CB by not addressing the roster's biggest weakness in free agency with a player capable of covering opposing top receivers.

Don't fool yourself, need has been a factor in most of his selections.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read a mock this morning that I really like, well not a mock, but a prediction of TT trading out of the 1st with San Fran.

Mock trade with Green Bay. Packers get: No. 34, No. 109, No. 161. 49ers get: No. 29, No. 172

Something like this will all depend on what player(s) are still on the board when the Packers pick. If there is a QB (Kizer) that San Fran likes at #29 and 3-4 guys the Packers like, it would be worth moving back 5 spots to pick up a 4th rounder and improve the Packers position in the 5th.

This is the kind of move I wish they could have made 2 years ago when a guy like Randall would have most likely been on the board 5 picks later.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I don't expect a rookie cornerback picked at #29 to have the immediate impact the Packers are in dire need of. But Thompson put the team in a position to have to use their first round pick on a CB by not addressing the roster's biggest weakness in free agency with a player capable of covering opposing top receivers.

I agree and we have seen where that has gotten us haven't we. We draft for need at CB in rounds 1 and 2 two years ago and here we are still needing to draft for need at CB. If you don't feel any CB likely to be available at #29 would have an immediate impact why does it seem that you are so objectionable to drafting another position where the player just might. For pure arguments sake lets say OJ Howard was still available at #29 and the Packers couldn't trade down with some TE needy team (admittedly that would be my preference) would you be upset if TT drafted him. Obviously it would depend on who else is still available but I think it could be argued pretty strongly that if Howard were still there at 29 he would be the BPA. Do you take that BPA or do you reach for a position of need?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT by no means has to use the first round pick on a cb, there will be possible day one starter corner backs available in 2nd round as well. but I agree I would try and take one in the first 2 rounds. but if someone slid in first and 2nd and value was too great to pass up I would take em and try and find a corner later in draft. I don't think you can be successfull in a draft consistently if you lock yourself in to any position in any round before you know whose available. if I could I'd trade back to the 2nd round because I think you can get a very similar player draft grade wise at edge rusher or cornerback in the early 2nd as you can at 29

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree and we have seen where that has gotten us haven't we. We draft for need at CB in rounds 1 and 2 two years ago and here we are still needing to draft for need at CB. If you don't feel any CB likely to be available at #29 would have an immediate impact why does it seem that you are so objectionable to drafting another position where the player just might. For pure arguments sake lets say OJ Howard was still available at #29 and the Packers couldn't trade down with some TE needy team (admittedly that would be my preference) would you be upset if TT drafted him. Obviously it would depend on who else is still available but I think it could be argued pretty strongly that if Howard were still there at 29 he would be the BPA. Do you take that BPA or do you reach for a position of need?

In a perfect world I would like Thompson to select the best player available with every single pick. Unfortunately him not adequately addressing the cornerback position forces the team to draft a cornerback early, most likely in the first round.

TT by no means has to use the first round pick on a cb, there will be possible day one starter corner backs available in 2nd round as well. but I agree I would try and take one in the first 2 rounds. but if someone slid in first and 2nd and value was too great to pass up I would take em and try and find a corner later in draft. I don't think you can be successfull in a draft consistently if you lock yourself in to any position in any round before you know whose available. if I could I'd trade back to the 2nd round because I think you can get a very similar player draft grade wise at edge rusher or cornerback in the early 2nd as you can at 29

It takes most cornerbacks drafted late in the first round several years to develop into a decent starter at the pro level. There's absolutely no guarantee a day one starter at the position will be available in the second at all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm against TE in the first round in pretty much any situation. First round TEs generally don't do much for the first few years and historically speaking, you're just as likely to find a guy that played basketball in college and teach him to play TE in the time it takes that first-rounder to make an impact. Greg Olsen has been really good over his career. So have Jimmy Graham, Antonio freakin' Gates (undrafted!!!!), Julius Thomas, etc. I'd much rather spend a later pick on a developmental guy and use that first rounder on a position like dline that sees big drop offs after the first round.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are 3 corners that will be studs in this class that are being projected as late 1st to late 2nd. The first is Kevin King, big and long with incredible ball skills. The second is Chidobe Awuzie, great size and vision physical athlete. Last but not least Damontae Kazee, smaller but very fast and a knack for staying on mans hip. I believe those 3 will have very solid pro careers!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I read a mock this morning that I really like, well not a mock, but a prediction of TT trading out of the 1st with San Fran.

Mock trade with Green Bay. Packers get: No. 34, No. 109, No. 161. 49ers get: No. 29, No. 172

Something like this will all depend on what player(s) are still on the board when the Packers pick. If there is a QB (Kizer) that San Fran likes at #29 and 3-4 guys the Packers like, it would be worth moving back 5 spots to pick up a 4th rounder and improve the Packers position in the 5th.

This is the kind of move I wish they could have made 2 years ago when a guy like Randall would have most likely been on the board 5 picks later.
I'd like that trade a lot. Pull the trigger, Ted.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Just completed using simulator.

1. Adoree Jackson - CB
2. T.j. Watt - Edge
3. Jaleel Johnson - DL
4. Jake Butt - TE
5. Peter Kalambayi - LB
5. T. J. Logan - RB
6. Tyus Bowser - LB
7. Dare Ogunbawale - RB

Members online

Latest posts